Most Overrated Restaurants

'Ohana dinner- the food is just ok. I don't know what all the hype is about.

I will not return to Cinderella's Royal Table. The last time I was there, there was water from the AC dripping onto my table! I told the hostess that was not acceptable, and after some argument, I was moved to another table.

I honestly think that every WDW restaurant is overrated. They wouldn't survive if they existed outside of the parks/hotel area. They would all have to severely lower their prices to be halfway competitive with outside restaurants.

Q4T There are exceptions but for the most part we are talking mass produced food here that is average at best across the board and for the top tier Disney Dining experiences like California Grill, Le Cellier, etc you'd be paying an average of 20-30% less for this experience elsewhere. Our last trip which was this month has me questioning if I'd ever go to California Grill again, for a $250+ meal the service was abominable, Ohana is def a never do again and off the list so much food, so fast, so over seasoned with salt and so over done. I will be looking for quality off-site options for our next trip.

Not a table service, but Flame Tree BBQ was hands down the worst food I have ever had in Disney, sadly, since I had heard such good things about it. It was so bad, I don't think I would ever even give it a second chance either. Food was cold, meat (that we could actually find on the plate of bones we got) was so tough, we couldn't even chew it. Most of it went into the trash can.

:confused3

Our #1 CS - never had the ribs like that!

I'll leave character meals out of it, since you're not really there for the food. I'll also leave out counter service spots, as I have pretty low expectations of those going in. Based completely on my own tastes, I think these Disney restaurants are the ones I've not been impressed with when compared to reviews and comments:

1. Flying Fish
Yeah, the decor is cool as heck and the food's OK ... but I've been there three times and just never been that impressed with my meal. My wife love it though ... so I'll likely continue to be underwhelmed.

2. California Grill
OK ... I've been there 4 or 5 times and have had at least two VERY good meals. Problem being, when I've had a bad experience it's been terrible. One time service-related, one time food ... but to me this Cali Grill is WAY too hit and miss for the price. Again, LOVE the decor and the setting so if that's all you want, you're good to go. The rest is just to big a gamble for me.

3. Le Cellier
Again, nothing wrong with the place. It's a pretty cool room and the food is perfectly fine. But you hear people banging on and on about this one all the time and it's one of the harder ADRs to get at Epcot ... for reasons that utterly elude me. It's fine ... just for me it's not shout from the rooftops good the way a lot of folks make out.

3 most overhyped places for me:

OHANA - Didnt care for it. Quality of food was not good.

LE CELLIER - Steak wasnt that great.

EARL OF SANDWICH
- Its a SANDWICH!! With bread, meat and cheese, thats all! I dont get the hype? I would put this on par with Quizno's.

BOG and Ohana's. Ohana's meats all tasted like lighter fluid. And BOG was hands down The Worst steak I've had in my life. Cold and raw. Sent it back and had another steak within minutes. That one was cooked more but stone cold too. Which leads me to believe that the steaks are pre-cooked. I know the 2nd steak was a new one as I'd cut the 1st one in half. If I want a steak I will stick with Shula's.
Nancyprincess:

EARL OF SANDWICH
- Its a SANDWICH!! With bread, meat and cheese, thats all! I dont get the hype? I would put this on par with Quizno's.

I agree with this. My fam just HAS to have EoS every trip. I prefer to pop into WPE instead. In Dec, though, I went with the fam to EoS and there was hardly any meat and stuff on the sandwich...was very unsatisfying.

Topping my list are two:

Bongo's - boiled meat, not spiced (as in flavors, i.e. salt or pepper) and terrible service by trendy wanna be hipsters who's only function is to talk amongst themselves and be 'seen'. Loud atmosphere. This isn't good food, period, and is just plain terrible for Cuban food. I don't care who owns it, it's overrated. It got the highly rare first ever 'Decade Ban' from our family.....

Portobello - kept waiting for Chef Boy R Dee's younger, less successful distant third cousin to poke his head out of the kitchen. But since the tables were so close together, I guess he didn't have room to come check on our meals. I don't think he would have cared for the feedback.....
The second ever recipient of the 'might try again in ten years Decade Ban'.

Honorable mentions:
Sci Fi - fried and bland. Just don't get all the fuss about this place.

Le Cellier - two credits now?? really??

Mama Melrose - only for the pizza and the Fantasmic package, would we ever go back. Some people rave about it, and I just don't see why.

I agree with this. My fam just HAS to have EoS every trip. I prefer to pop into WPE instead. In Dec, though, I went with the fam to EoS and there was hardly any meat and stuff on the sandwich...was very unsatisfying.

You and I think alike. I do this too. No way im passing up WGPE for EoS! Never gonna happen. Sometimes I only get to go to DTD once per trip...knowing i might not return til the following year, i take advantage and eat at WGPE! :thumbsup2

O'Hana - a madhouse and the food was very average.

LeCellier - A tasty meal but the atmosphere did nothing for me and the tables were super close together. I was mildly disappointed after all the hype, and that was before it went signature!

SciFi - I am all about a good theme - I live for that stuff! But the atmosphere in SciFi is weird and not conducive to a meal. So dark you can't see the food, the little shelf where the plate goes is too small, a party of 3 has one person sitting alone facing forward or craning back to be part of the conversation. AWKWARD. Peanut butter chocolate cake can't even tip the scales in SciFi's favor for me.

CRT - Just not very good, I'm afraid. Put that Signature up against BOG and CRT has to bow in shame. The kid's food at Disney is largely disgusting anyway, but what my DD was served there when she was little was appalling for the price. Yes, you are paying for the experience, but while you are busy experiencing it would be nice to have a halfway decent meal to go with it! :)

Via Napoli - Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong here. I think I just was expecting the second coming after all the hype. Nice pizza/Italian food, I have way too many other favorites to go back for awhile though.

Everything else I like, including some that regularly get slammed (ie: Pizza Planet :rolleyes1)

Well one thing this thread proved is that the quality of food and restaurants is highly subjective.

It also proved all the restaurants are loved and hated, depending who you talk to!

AKK

La Hacienda

Yeah ... I re-visited this thread and I'm honestly surprised not to see La Hacienda mentioned all that often. The setting is drop dead gorgeous, but the food is really quite bland ... which renders Mexican food pretty much inedible.

Maybe the reason it's not mentioned much is that it's never been rated highly enough to be over-rated. Dunno

Chef Mickey's! cannot imagine how anyone can find that food tasty is beyond me, plus the crazy noise factor. horrible. :sad2:

Chef de France (not terrible but nothing to write home about)
Sci Fi was disappointing as well
Tangerine Café way overrated we get much better shawarma where I live.
Earl of Sandwich I just don't get the excitement over.:confused3

Ohana: long wait to be seated. Everyone raved about the lapu lapu and I found it to be pretty gross. Tables are packed in and it's crowded. Loud! Food was just ok. We love Brazilian steakhouses and this meat was nowhere near what we are used to. Soooo dry and flavorless. The noodles and wings tasted good but were cold. I just don't get it the hype. We've tried breakfast and dinner....both over rated.

Garden grill: the food was in edible. Practically raw flank steak. Cold and soggy catfish. I ate off the kids plates. I don't like the decor or the outfits of the characters.

We enjoyed le cellier. Liked the soup, bread, and steak. But it is not worth two TS credits.

Our favorites have been boma, trails end, cape May, and kona. They have been consistently good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter