Most romantic DVC resort during December?

fae

Mouseketeer
My fiance and I will be honeymooning in WDW for the first week of December 2019. We are aware that this is a popular DVC week, so we are getting our ducks in a row to rent points as soon as the 11 month window opens. We are stuck on where we would like to stay. Right now, the GF, BC, and CC at WL are the front runners.

Previous DVC stays:

AKL club level, savanna view:
  • Pros: Gorgeous lobby, loved the snacks and drinks in club level, loved having the savanna balcony.

• Cons: Room was small and the distance was a real pain. I don't think we would stay at AKL again because of the location.
Poly, DVC studio:
  • Pros: Central location, easy transportation, several yummy dining options, and large room.

• Cons: We'd like to try something new and very little Christmas theming.
I am leaning toward Copper Creek at WL because of the awesome Christmas theming, but the rooms themselves look a little bland and this seems more like a family resort than say the GF or the Beach Club, which both also have excellent Christmas theming.

The only resorts I'm not super interested in are the Yacht Club (we live in New England) and Boardwalk (no thanks, clown pool).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Frankly, as a renter you are unlikely to get either CCV or VGF even at 11 months for that week. The mechanics are such that each willbe gone by 8:05AM and few owners will engage in the needed pregaming shenanigans for $18pp for a renter.

Yacht Club is not DVC.

I think you have better chances at Poly, BLT, AKV (not club) and OKW/SSR. BRV has the same issues as VGF/CCV that week.

I find Wilderness Lodge to be one of the most romantic resorts year-round. However, I am not at all phased by the "distance" of AKL and think that AKL and WL are my top two for Christmas decor and resort ambiance. There is something magical about those trees in their lobbies. WL has a gorgeous secluded fireplace and seating nook "upstairs" from the lobby (over the sliding doors at the entry). We like to grab drinks from the Territory Lounge and people watch by the fire.

I own at Grand Floridian and find it very romantic but I dislike the busy-ness of the lobby during the lead up to Christmas in the main lobby so we tend to shy away from the main building, and you're not going to get much of the Christmas theming in the villas building. It does feel very high-end and "honeymoon" like, so it might be a good option, especially because you can always visit the other resorts to see theming and decor.

If you can get it CCV at WL is GORGEOUS! We stayed there the week before Christmas last year and it was just so, so beautiful at Christmas time. The tree and all of the decorations are so lovely. I loved the CCV decor and the theme of the lodge. Super cozy and romantic. If it isn't available, I, personally, would be happy at VGF or BCV. GF is beautiful and BC is so convenient to EP and DHS (which both have beautiful Christmas decor). BC also has an amazing Christmas carousel in the lobby.

If you can get it CCV at WL is GORGEOUS! We stayed there the week before Christmas last year and it was just so, so beautiful at Christmas time. The tree and all of the decorations are so lovely. I loved the CCV decor and the theme of the lodge. Super cozy and romantic. If it isn't available, I, personally, would be happy at VGF or BCV. GF is beautiful and BC is so convenient to EP and DHS (which both have beautiful Christmas decor). BC also has an amazing Christmas carousel in the lobby.
But as a renter, you won't get a CCV or VGF studio in early Dec.

[QUOTE="fae, post: 59786824, member: 375018"
I am leaning toward Copper Creek at WL because of the awesome Christmas theming, but the rooms themselves look a little bland and this seems more like a family resort than say the GF or the Beach Club[/QUOTE]

I don't think Copper Creek is more of a family resort than Beach Club. Having stayed at both, I think the opposite.

Wilderness Lodge felt calmer when walking around outside, maybe because looking at the lake is calmer than looking at the water at Beach Club (since you see BoardWalk across the water if you are at Beach Club).

I know PP has said that you won't be able to book Copper Creek for that week. I don't know about Boulder Ridge, which also is at Wilderness Lodge, if you had your heart set on that location.

Are you going to have a car? I would not want to be at Wilderness Lodge for a week without a car. Actually, I was unhappy at Wilderness Lodge by the second day without a car. It felt very isolated. If you don't want to eat there, it's not easy to get somewhere else. I personally didn't like Wilderness Lodge and I love Beach Club. I prefer being in the Epcot Resort area so that I can walk to Epcot.

I know you asked about "most romantic," but I think you need to be considering more than just ambience. You only notice a hotel's ambience when you are hanging around in the resort's public areas. You don't notice it when you are in your room, in a restaurant, in a theme park, or trying to get transportation to go someplace else. So how much time will you be spending in the resort's public areas?

I am leaning toward Copper Creek at WL because of the awesome Christmas theming, but the rooms themselves look a little bland and this seems more like a family resort than say the GF or the Beach Club, which both also have excellent Christmas theming.

There really isn't any difference in the family-resort-ness of any of the DVC resorts. They're all designed and marketed as family resorts, the major part of their clientele is families, and you'll see equal numbers of families at any of them. I think GF has an illusion of being less family-friendly because the decor is a little more formal, but you'll see as many kids in bathing suits running around there as you would at any Disney resort.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, don't let that influence your decision too much. If you're wanting more of an adult atmosphere, you'd want to look offsite, perhaps at the Waldorf or Four Seasons.

I know you asked about "most romantic," but I think you need to be considering more than just ambience. You only notice a hotel's ambience when you are hanging around in the resort's public areas. You don't notice it when you are in your room, in a restaurant, in a theme park, or trying to get transportation to go someplace else. So how much time will you be spending in the resort's public areas?
I have to say that this is incredibly true, especially now that DVC has opted for a more generic "Marriott-style" for the decor of the villas.

My recommendation to the OP would be to choose a location that suits your plans for the trip. Visit the others for a romantic dinner or stroll thru the grounds.

If you have the money, rent a Copper Creek Cabin. They sleep eight, but they also have their own hot tub on the porch and a fireplace in the living room.

If it were me, WL in the CCV or the BRV would be my 1st choice. The resort is beautiful any time of the year - then add Christmas decor and Wow! OKW for us also had some appeal - it's got a great location and we loved the laid back feel. But it won't have a ton of Christmas Decor. BCV is another that is in a fabulous location ( all the resorts you can visit so close ) and BWV would be another good choice. ( BWV has more Christmas Decor than BCV ).

We were going in September so it's apples to oranges but at 11 months out we had our choice of all locations except for VGF.

Yup at the Holidays Wilderness Lodge wins hands down. And the CCV/BRV rooms are SOOOO much nicer than the standard WL ones(time for an update Disney!)(personal preference only of course).

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the replies! I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

As I stated in my OP, I understand that this is the most popular DVC week and that availability will be very limited. We have been very lucky in the past, so I thought I'd shoot for the moon on our first choice while keeping a reasonable back up (BLT).

Not DVC, but Swan/Dolphin are beautiful at Christmas and definitely feel more "adult". The poinsettia tree at the Dolphin is amazing. Lots of great dining options there and within walking distance to Boardwalk, Hollywood Studios, and Epcot.

We have been very lucky in the past, so I thought I'd shoot for the moon on our first choice while keeping a reasonable back up (BLT).

Gosh I’d stick with BL. There are no big public areas where kids zooming around the place might take away from the romantic feel, the studios are small and could feel intimate, and if you get a lake view it’s awesome to watch the water parade go by from your room

I can't compare it to anywhere else, but I stayed December 17-20 at VGF in December 2017 and it was everything I hoped it would be. It's true, as another poster says, that the main building is the one with all of the Christmas feel, but there are decorations in the Villa building too and Christmas music playing constantly. I love the Villa building because it is much quieter and more relaxing, but it's just a very short walk (under a covered walkway) to the main building. And the pool is literally just steps away from the Villa building.

You do have to find a private owner who is experienced at renting points out and knows how to "walk" a reservation though if you want VGF during December.

When it comes to the overall feel of Christmas or the warmth of a romantic casual setting WL wins hands down. We have done Christmas a few times at WL (BRV) and it never fails to impress.
We will be there again this Christmas staying in the CCV's. We can't wait to see how the refurbishment turned out from being part of the lodge to CCV. I can give you an update when we return
as to if it is still what we thought it would be.

Not sure about romance but I find Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge to be the most festive at Christmas time -- perhaps due to their massive lobby trees. Wilderness Lodge, in particular, has little alcoves on upper floors overlooking the lobby that can be very cozy to relax in and enjoy the view and a glass of wine. In terms of distance, of course no one wants to spend more than they have to, but Lyft/Uber/Minnie Vans can be a reasonable solution to the "distance/bus problem."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter