Motion sickness and universal

Isaiah4113

Earning My Ears
I have been told over and over again by people who love universal that it’s not really for those who are prone to motion sickness. Of course they have all told me that if you are prone to it and you take something such as meclizine, it really will help you to get through. When we take cruises I have to take meclizine, so I feel confident I can do that and ride all the rides in universal that I want to.

When I take a cruise I always get meclizine from the infirmary. The reason being is that theirs is actually nondrowsy. It’s not less drowsy, but non-drowsy. I have checked all of my local stores as well as Amazon and I cannot find any that is non-drowsy. Where can I find that? I don’t want to be walking around universal feeling like I need a nap just so I don’t get sick to my stomach

Just buy non drowsy Dramamine. It's made of 25mg Meclizine.

I just did Universal and I was fine with Meclizine but got queasy during FJ. I recovered quickly though, unlike when im unmedicated and my whole day being ruined.

No information on where you can buy it but wanted to chime in as a motion sickness sufferer. I take full formula (the drowsy kind) of Dramamine and other than the first day I have no sleep side effects from it. On cruises I have no issues (other than once going in to Cozumel where there was a tropical system forming).

I knew that FJ and Simpsons were going to be iffy for me even with meds so I let my husband and daughter ride first. My husband told me after the first ride that I shouldn't do either one so I skipped them. Transformers took me out for about 30 minutes afterwards and that was even after removing my glasses and looking at the floor of the ride vehicle about halfway through. Jimmy Fallon was another huge issue for me. About 2 minutes in the sickness kicked in and I had to take my glasses off and look toward my feet. I could still see too much of the screen so I ended up having to completely cover my eyes for the last half of the ride.

The onsite hotels sells motion sickness OTC
Haven't looked for it at the parks shops.

Consider the transderm scop patch (prescription in the US) instead of oral nausea meds.

My friend can't do Spiderman or higher on the motion sickness scale (or spinning). She was able to do all the rides she wanted multiple times in a row with the patch, except for MIB which due to spinning she could only do once at a time. For comparison, with Dramamine she can do most rides at Six Flags once at a time but often needs recuperation breaks after (she does not try mainly spinny rides at all).

Each patch lasts 3 days and you can shower, swim, and drink with it (she covered it with a little round bandaid for extra protection). Worked great!

The onsite hotels sells motion sickness OTC
Haven't looked for it at the parks shops.

We've purchased it in the park shops but you have to ask for it as they have it behind the counter. They only had the straight Dramamine and not the Less Drowsy formula.

Consider the transderm scop patch (prescription in the US) instead of oral nausea meds.

My friend can't do Spiderman or higher on the motion sickness scale (or spinning). She was able to do all the rides she wanted multiple times in a row with the patch, except for MIB which due to spinning she could only do once at a time. For comparison, with Dramamine she can do most rides at Six Flags once at a time but often needs recuperation breaks after (she does not try mainly spinny rides at all).

Each patch lasts 3 days and you can shower, swim, and drink with it (she covered it with a little round bandaid for extra protection). Worked great!
I know a lot of people like the patch, but I would rather not use it for myself. I do fine with meclizine. The patch has so many horrible side effects and I have known people who have used it that have had side effects so bad that they’ve been down for 2 to 3 days after removing the patch. My doctor doesn’t recommend either for that reason so I think for me that’s probably not the best option.

One of the side effects of meclizine is DROWSINESS, so you're technically not going to find a non-drowsy formula, just a "less-drowsy" formula...Less Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine both contain 25mg of meclizine, the same as you'll get from a ship's infirmary.

Keep in mind that rides at Universal are much more intense motion-wise than a cruise ship. Of course, motion sickness is a funny thing, and different things affect different people in different ways. Some folks can ride every ride at a theme park with zero issues, but will get sea-sick in a bay, and some can ride the roughest of seas, but theme park rides will turn their stomachs inside out.

That said, we've used meclizine at Disney, Universal, Six Flags, etc for years with "decent" success. I can ride everything in every park when taking meclizine, while my wife can ride "a few" things while taking it, with both of us needing a breather after a small handful of rides. She can ride less rides at Universal than any other park while taking meclizine, due to the large presence of motion simulators there. I've never experienced any sea-sickness at all, while my wife can be susceptible to it.

We got a prescription for the scopolamine patches before our last trip, and it is a 100% game changer. My wife and I both can ride anything and everything with no time after required. We had zero side effects...other than lots more fun than any other trip before.

My wife has horrible motion sickness, dramamine and its cousin the non drowsy version make her drowsy(weird) and she doesn't get to enjoy anything. We ended up finding another product called bonine(i believe thats spelled right off the top of my head) and it worked wonders and she was never drowsy. we went on the universal version of the teacup ride and me and the kids gave it our best to make her sick(she told us to before we got on any other rides) and it worked. she took one or two a day depending on what we were riding and when and she never once even felt slightly sick to her stomach or like throwing up becuase she can get sick riding in a car just by looking down for a bit. something to try maybe work for her.

I’m following this thread because my first time to Universal I found out that I had succumbed to motion sickness. Used to ride all the rides no issues then I rode FJ followed by SM and I was toast. I sat around in the shade on a bench while the wife rode Minions then found me pale white and dizzy. Feeling better I tried Transformers and almost immediately was sweating looking at floor.

So after that experience I started trying Dramamine with some success but I find that I needed good breaks between the rides. Rollercoasters seem to be ok a little upsetting but wow FJ and those sorts knocked me out and still do. BTW I’m 53 and I do suffer from HBP but On meds and Dr cleared me to ride it out.

My wife has horrible motion sickness, dramamine and its cousin the non drowsy version make her drowsy(weird) and she doesn't get to enjoy anything. We ended up finding another product called bonine(i believe thats spelled right off the top of my head) and it worked wonders and she was never drowsy. we went on the universal version of the teacup ride and me and the kids gave it our best to make her sick(she told us to before we got on any other rides) and it worked. she took one or two a day depending on what we were riding and when and she never once even felt slightly sick to her stomach or like throwing up becuase she can get sick riding in a car just by looking down for a bit. something to try maybe work for her.

Bonine and the Less Drowsy Dramamine are the same formulation...meclizine.

I have terrible motion sickness, so I got the scopolamine patch, and even with that I had to avoid some rides. The Transformers Ride really messed with my head, stayed off of Spiderman and Kong. Was able to do everything else that I wanted to, though.

If this is the route you go, I recommend finding a time before your trip to test out the patch on a long car ride or something. Some people find that they have weird side-effects, or once they take off the patch they suddenly start to feel uncomfortable (dizzy, nauseated).

We had read to leave each patch on the whole 3 days, even if there are no nausea inducing activities during all 3. The idea being that the drug wears off gradually. Also read to wash hands after applying and put a little round bandaid over it to prevent accidental touching it (and then touching your eyes). Following these tips, my friend had no side effects. She wore 3 patches over a 10 day trip (patchless day was a non-ride day).

We had read to leave each patch on the whole 3 days, even if there are no nausea inducing activities during all 3. The idea being that the drug wears off gradually. Also read to wash hands after applying and put a little round bandaid over it to prevent accidental touching it (and then touching your eyes). Following these tips, my friend had no side effects. She wore 3 patches over a 10 day trip (patchless day was a non-ride day).
I love the patch and use it for Disney, Universal, and cruises. I've probably used it for 8 or 10 trips and have only had minor side effects - blurry vision for a few hours on one trip, very thirsty a few days on one trip, and some minor dizziness after removing the final patch twice. I now leave the last patch on for at least 3 days, usually 4 or 5, and I haven't had that dizziness since.

I put the patch on right before bed time and I think that helps. I'm asleep for the initial startup dose. I also remove the last one right before bed.

One of my wife's daughters also wears a patch and she gets side effects almost every time. She gets angry on the day she puts on a patch. She's fine the 2nd and 3rd day, then gets angry again when it's time to swap. She'll still take that over getting sick.

I take Meclaizine for vertigo and even 1/4 of a pill knocks me out.

We were on a cruise last week and the patch worked fine for me without any side effects. My wife's daughter had the angry thing as well as some blurred vision. She also felt sick on the second night when the seas were pretty rough. I gave her 1/2 a Meclazine and it didn't make her tired at all. Everyone reacts differently to medications you just need to find what works for you.

I have never been drowsy with Meclizine. I take it the night before I travel or go to the parks and then again in the morning and I am fine all day.

Has anyone tried the Seabands along or in conjunction with something Dramamine

I always wear sea bands to theme parks. It takes the edge off without making me drowsy. Though I will say all the sea bands in the world wouldn't have worked for me at Universal; those rides were intense!

I have a lot of trouble with motionsickness, so I used Bonine, sea bands and ginger gum during our visit. My husband did also just as a precaution,but he rarely complains of any motion troubles. The last spin on Men In Black is extended and left us both queasy but not to the point of ruining our day. We recovered. The Forbidden Journey made my husband quite nauseous even with all the precautions. I skipped that ride (but not the line into the castle-you can exit before the actual ride) and the Simpsons ride because of everything I’d read. I believe we ride every other motion simulated ride in both parks with no difficulty. But again,we had Bonine, Sea Bands and Ginger Gum in use. I may try the patch next time we go. I typically use those to fly with no issues.

I have a lot of trouble with motionsickness, so I used Bonine, sea bands and ginger gum during our visit. My husband did also just as a precaution,but he rarely complains of any motion troubles. The last spin on Men In Black is extended and left us both queasy but not to the point of ruining our day. We recovered. The Forbidden Journey made my husband quite nauseous even with all the precautions. I skipped that ride (but not the line into the castle-you can exit before the actual ride) and the Simpsons ride because of everything I’d read. I believe we ride every other motion simulated ride in both parks with no difficulty. But again,we had Bonine, Sea Bands and Ginger Gum in use. I may try the patch next time we go. I typically use those to fly with no issues.

I've posted many times about the patch and it really works for me for park days and cruises. Flying rarely bothers me, so I usually don't wear one then.

With the patch on, FJ and Simpsons are a 'ride once per day' thing for me. Sometimes, they are reduced to a 'once per trip' thing. lol

I could ride MIB a few times in a row without issue while wearing the patch. I'd be happier if it didn't spin, but I can deal with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter