• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Motion Sickness Patch -- Teens??

mom2AidanAndEli

DIS Veteran
I have two boys--15 and almost 13. They've struggled with car sickness on and off since they were little. Right now we seem to be heading to a rougher patch and both have issues driving for long distances. They have a trip coming up with their scout troop that involves driving 4 hours each way. And then we have another family trip that's going to be about 3.5 hours each way. I'm trying to figure out what to do!

When they were little they used SeaBands. They claim those don't work anymore. I've been giving them Bonine and it seems to help a little but not completely. I know Dramamine will end up just knocking them out.

I called my doctor's office and asked about alternatives and they prescribed the patches. But now I'm looking online and scaring myself with the side effects!! Especially since the first time they try it, they won't be with us but with their troop.

Has anyone used the patch? Or, especially, have your kids used it? How was it? I'm really looking for any and all suggestions!

Have you thought about actually trying them on the boys at home to see if they feel any of the side-effects first, instead of waiting to use the first time on the trips?

They list ALL side-effects. Did they list the % of people that actually get them? Just try it.

Update: you could also try doubling the bonine. Our vet recommended for our 35 lb Sheltie. One was not enough but 2 did the trick.

Last edited:
Have you thought about actually trying them on the boys at home to see if they feel any of the side-effects first, instead of waiting to use the first time on the trips?

Unfortunately, the trip is this weekend! The doctor is just calling in the prescription today. And my understanding is they last three days. Don't think I have time to start playing with it before they go.

I know it's last minute and I should have thought of it before. But it wasn't until my oldest started saying he didn't want to go on the trip (and I know he really does!) that I realized just how bad it is. The last couple long rides he's been on have been with scouts or school so I haven't seen how bad he's been feeling. So now he's nervous about the car ride and getting sick. Which, of course, isn't going to make it any better!

I'm open to other ideas too!

Just do it. I'm sure it will be fine or the doctor wouldn't have prescribed it. Just let the parent driver know about it.

If there is a chance your son can sit in the front seat, he may do better. My DD says being in the back bothers her and she feels much better in front. Often my DH ends up in the back while I drive and she rides shotgun.

As an aside---
My mother tells us about the time we flew overseas and the doctor suggested she give my younger brother and sister some dramamine to calm them and help them sleep on the overnight flight. She didn't try it out ahead of time, and it turns out it worked the opposite for them and they were all hyped up.

Just do it. I'm sure it will be fine or the doctor wouldn't have prescribed it. Just let the parent driver know about it.

As an aside---
My mother tells us about the time we flew overseas and the doctor suggested she give my younger brother and sister some dramamine to calm them and help them sleep on the overnight flight. She didn't try it out ahead of time, and it turns out it worked the opposite for them and they were all hyped up.

Benadryl did that to our oldest daughter. My wife and I both gave her a dose not knowing the other did it. She acted like a 3 year old speed freak.

Most common side effect with the patch is an extremely dry mouth.

Make sure that they wash their hands after applying or removing the patches.

Benadryl might be good because they will be tired for the car ride. They can sleep. I'm surprised that Bonine didn't work. Did you give it the night before traveling?

I use the patch. Its a miracle drug! Only side effects i get are dry mouth. To combat blurry vision be sure to wash hands thoroughly after applying patch and do not touch it after its on. I like to cover my patch with a round band aid to help avoid accidentally touching it.

Apply it the night before you depart.

If you don't want to use the patch, I'd double the dose of Bonine (give them 2 pills at once). Make sure they take it at least an hour before traveling. They will need to take the pills with them so they can have them for the trip home, too.

I have used the patch and it works really well. The only thing to remember is to NOT TOUCH it once it's in place. You'd think behind the ear would be a good spot, but somehow I managed to touch the patch and then touch my eye. My pupil was fully dilated all day- NOT fun in the Florida sun. I'd pack a pair of sunglasses for each of them, just in case.

As a person who suffers from terrible motion sickness, I always recommend trying Motioneaze - it's an all natural product, and you just dab a drop behind your ears. I used to always use Bonine until I found out about Motioneaze, and love it because it works so well and doesn't make you drowsy. It's real popular down here on fishing charters - tourists used to get so seasick that they were feeding the fish (LOL) instead of catching them.:fish:

Info on motioneaze:

http://motioneaze.com/

Info about it working on kids:

http://motioneaze.com/motion-sickness-relief-kids/

Try it once and I bet you love it too!

As a person who suffers from terrible motion sickness, I always recommend trying Motioneaze - it's an all natural product, and you just dab a drop behind your ears. I used to always use Bonine until I found out about Motioneaze, and love it because it works so well and doesn't make you drowsy. It's real popular down here on fishing charters - tourists used to get so seasick that they were feeding the fish (LOL) instead of catching them.:fish:

Info on motioneaze:

http://motioneaze.com/

Info about it working on kids:

http://motioneaze.com/motion-sickness-relief-kids/

Try it once and I bet you love it too!

Thanks for the info! That looks very interesting. I wonder if I could use that along with the Bonine as an added "boost". I'll have to look into that...

My dd used the patch on our first cruise, she was 12. It was a rough cruise, we had stormy seas and a hurricane. It worked amazing, she never felt queasy once, and had no side effects except a little dry mouth. She used it again at 13 on a trip with lot's of travel and did fine. On our 2nd cruise she was 15 and had some issues with her eyesight while taking it. It was still great for the motion, but she was a bit more annoyed with it, and was very happy to have it off when the cruise ended. I use it myself and have really no side effects at all.

I use the patch and love it

Yes, each dose is supposed to last 72 hours, but mine would either fall off from getting too wet or I would start to feel them wear off.

I can do Bonine for shorter trips, but you have to take it before you even get in the car, before you even feel sick, if you already feel sick, it's not going to work

Trying the patch beforehand isn't going to work, because you aren't going to be having motion sickness, the way you have it when traveling, so that would just be wasting it.

I would say just try it. If they get side effects they can't handle, they can take it off and they should go away in a day or so. It's better than the alternative I think.

I use the patch and love it

Yes, each dose is supposed to last 72 hours, but mine would either fall off from getting too wet or I would start to feel them wear off.

I can do Bonine for shorter trips, but you have to take it before you even get in the car, before you even feel sick, if you already feel sick, it's not going to work

Trying the patch beforehand isn't going to work, because you aren't going to be having motion sickness, the way you have it when traveling, so that would just be wasting it.

The point in trying the patch beforehand is to see if the kid has adverse reactions such as, hallucinations, tunnel vision, temporary blindness, confusion, fainting, arrhythmia etc. Scop is a potent drug!

I would say just try it. If they get side effects they can't handle, they can take it off and they should go away in a day or so. It's better than the alternative I think.

You really want to do that to a scout leader? Or the kids?

I agree that if you are going to put the patches on your kids, you really need to try it out at home for potential side effects before they are away from your reach. Both my doctor and my pharmacist advised me to do just this. The dry mouth was just annoying but I couldn't handle the visual disturbances. With children who would be in the care of strangers, I'd be more apt to double up on the Bonine instead.

I strongly suggest that you try it at home first- make sure they know never to touch the pach etc- my mom used it on a cruise once and she freaked out, her vision was SO blurry she couldn't see 2 inches in front of her face!

Thanks for all the input! We've decided to opt for a combination of the Bonine (or maybe Dramamine if they want to sleep!) and the MotionEaze oil. I think I've convinced them the oil is the best thing since sliced bread, so there may be some placebo effect, but if it works, great! I did actually call the company about the MotionEaze and they assured me there's no interactions at all. Since it's completely natural, it's fine to use it along with one of the other medications.

I did pick up the patches and will probably try them out at some point, but when they're with us instead of with their scout troop and so far away. I don't feel I'm sending them with strangers--these are leaders we know well and trust immensely--but it's still not the same as being with mom if they do have some of the side effects.

Reactions: HM
Motioneaze didnt do squat for me. Got so violently ill after riding Forbidden Journey at IOA i thought i would die.

Hope the boys have better luck!

OP here! Just wanted to report back that both boys did GREAT! They took Bonine well before getting in the car each way. They also used the MotionEaze oil behind their ears. They're not thrilled with the smell of it, but small price to pay. Now, I did REALLY talk the stuff up. Basically told them it was a miracle cure from everything I read online. (In truth, it did get some great reviews, but I really wanted the positive thinking to kick in!) They were able to go on their trip this past weekend, 4-plus hours in the car each way and neither got sick. Youngest said he felt a little queasy on the way up, but nothing too bad. He also sat in the third row of the minivan, so that probably didn't help.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Reactions: HM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter