• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Motion Sickness question for those who have been to both Disney and Universal

michellej47

Mouseketeer
Ok, so the last time I did Universal, I didn't ride much out of fear. I really would hate to ride something that makes me sick and I can't deal the rest of the day. I take Bonine usually and I am considering the patch for my next trip (I've used it for several surgeries and the side effects weren't bad for me).

My big issue is with screen rides. I can do most roller coasters (except the Hulk). Backwards makes me a bit ill, but I can handle one ride of Expedition Everest. I just have to sit for about 10 minutes after. Hagrid's backwards part looks to be a bit slower in the videos, so I think I'm going to try it.

I can do Soarin fine. I get a little woozy on some parts, but never sick. I do not do Mission Space...either one. I sucked up my fear last year and did ride FOP at Disney. There were some parts I had to close my eyes, but all in all, I was good. The strong air blowing on me made a huge difference. Millenium Falcon...NOPE. I did ride it three times, but I sat in the back and didn't look at the screen. Made me so sick if I looked. I've never tried Star Tours out of fear.

At Universal, I was able to handle the King Kong ride fine, but I think that is because my body and my mind were both moving.

During our April Trip, I would really like to try out some of the screen rides, especially Forbidden Journey. Someone told me that Gringotts is more of a coaster, so I think I can handle that one.

If there is anyone else out there like me, which rides were you OK with in Universal? I'm totally fine keeping my eyes closed if need be. :)

Sorry - I can’t help much, as it’s been years (decades?) since I’ve been to Universal. I did want to commiserate with you though. I can take any roller coaster - they’re short enough, and actual movement my body can adjust to. But the virtual rides? 🤢

Star Tours is pretty bad - small enclosed space, absolutely no external reference, and motion which in no way matches up to the visuals. I can only ride it if I’m dosed with something.

I’m sure you’ll figure out a good plan - enjoy your trip!

We mainly stick to the Harry Potter areas, so I can speak mostly to those rides. I can only ride Forbidden Journey once, and even once makes me nauseous, but I love it so much that I do it anyway. I have to close my eyes for a specific part of it. Finally got to ride Hagrid's last trip, and strangely, it made me mildly nauseous. I made the mistake of riding Forbidden Journey right after that and the combined nausea made it so I didn't want to ride anything else after (which is the same experience I had when I rode Forbidden Journey twice in a row). I have no issues with Gringotts, thankfully. Despite my love of Harry Potter, the worsening motion sickness I have been having on the rides is sadly making a day or two at Universal less appealing. I love the immersion of the Wizarding World, but it's an expensive day if you can hardly ride the rides.

Minions made me nauseous, but I haven't ridden it since it switched to 2D. I did okay with Spiderman, but that was before my motion sickness got worse.

ETA: If you try Hagrid's, sit in the back. That was advice I wish I'd known before we went. It makes the backwards part shorter and less of a hill.

Fellow motion sickness queen, here! I use Bonine in the parks, which makes me super drowsy so I don’t love it, but it’s either that or go on way fewer rides. It’s worth it for me because I can go on most screen rides once I take it, but it sounds like you’ve used it on several trips with less successful results. But just full disclosure that I’m answering this from a medicated perspective. Without the meds, I don’t know if I could have handled a single screen ride except Shrek (RIP) lol.

IMO the screen intensity at Universal from least to most is:

King Kong/Fast and Furious (they’re basically the same tech just different themes, so since you handled King Kong you should be fine on both. The bigger question is whether F&F is worth it, which unless it’s a walk on, NO lol).

Minions: I rode once without meds and was able to handle it, but it did bother me a little. With meds it doesn’t affect me at all, and it’s really cute.

Transformers/Spider Man: again, similar ride experiences, so if you can handle one you should be able to handle the other. They’re 3D, but you’re not really fully immersed in the screens.

Men In Black: including on here because it’s not that intense, but there’s a lot of spinning if that does you in.

Soarin: throwing Disney in here for comparison. I know it’s pretty gentle movement, but this is the ride I discovered I have motion sickness on when I was younger lol.

Gringotts: it is a mix of coaster track and screens. It’s a rougher track that goes fast, so depending on your tolerance for that, this could be higher and lower. Sounds like you’re fine with that since you like bigger coasters. I’m also a drop chicken so this one’s not my fave, but the screens aren’t bad.

Jimmy Kimmel: the “biggest” screen element is a simulated coaster, so that depends if your enjoyment of coasters will make this ok for you or if the fact that it’s simulated will turn your stomach. Definitely try this before Simpsons which is a lot more intense.

Flight of Passage: Another Disney one for your comparison. It’s a smoother ride than Simpsons and Forbidden Journey, although I do think it’s close to the intensity of those ones. I also shut my eyes through almost the whole ride when I first went on and have since worked myself up to it now being one of my absolute favorites lol.

Simpsons/Forbidden Journey: Not similar ride experiences but the ones you hear the most motion sickness complaints about. The one good thing about Simpsons is that while the ride vehicle moves, it’s not that bad. So if you get on and it’s too much, you can close your eyes. Forbidden Journey is sooooo good, but because of the kuka arm technology, you really get flipped around (there’s literally a part where you’re almost upside down). Other than a quidditch section the screens aren’t bad, but the movement of the ride vehicle itself makes it impossible to just close your eyes and not deal with the motion.

Anyway, that’s just how I would rank them based on what I can/can’t handle without meds and how long it took me to build up to enjoying them. I’m addition to Bonine, I’ve found that what works for me is keeping my eyes open through those first few scary/intense seconds, that way it gives my eyes and brain a chance to adjust to the movement and then I find I’m able to handle it all a lot better. I can’t speak to Hagrids since I’m a drop chicken and haven’t been able to talk myself into that one yet even though I’ve only heard great things. :(

Lots of motion sickness for me. The only Disney ride that really gets me is Star Tours, but I've never tried Mission Space orange. It's the only WDW ride I've not done....and don't plan to. As a huge SW fan, I hate to miss any of Star Tours. Falcon and Rise/Resistance do not bother me. Flight of Passage doesn't bother me, but I think it's the cool air blowing constantly. EE does get me a little out of whack, and after a few other experiences on coasters that go backwards, I'm pretty sure now that's the reason, but EE is so fun.

Universal/IoA.....whole other level of motion sickness. I actually bought but FORGOT to take some OTC meds last year. I won't make that mistake on next trip. For me, I can't ride on an empty stomach. That makes everything worse.

I hate to say, Hagrid's made me quite queasy, but we rode first thing in the AM, very little food on stomach. I really think it was the backwards part. Still, I'd totally recommend it for a HP fan.

FJ: the absolute WORST for nausea, but also one of the BEST rides/experiences in any theme park. It's such an incredible ride, but it took me a long time, and multiple rides/multiple days to get to actually see the whole thing. I have to close my eyes when I get nauseous, so for FJ, I finally had to just alternate when I closed eyes. Like finally closed right at the start, and opened them about halfway through to see the end. But made the mistake this last trip, going in the AM (after Hagrids...I wish i'd brought the barf bag w me, but I survived. ) Maybe do later in day? .
Simpsons: the other absolute worst for me, of the screen rides. BUt it's hilarious! and I managed to ride it last trip, eyes closed whole time. SO funny, but nauseating for me.
Minions, Fallon also both get me.
Spiderman is one of my all time favorite rides, but it can get to me. Last trip, I did ok riding after lunch.
Transformers on the other hand....I didnt think I'd make it off w/o getting sick. It's the same set up as Spiderman, but geez. It felt longer, and I rode it after Simpsons, not a good idea. awful.
No nausea on Mummy, MiB(some intense VERY fun spinning tho,) Gringotts, Rip Ride

Good luck with the planning, and definitely stick w the meds/patch or whatever has worked for you in the past.

I get nauseous with some of the rides at Universal, but very few get me at Disney. I haven’t tried mission space though. I don’t have an issue with the Millennium Falcon or Flight of Passage. I get nauseous but not enough to hamper my enjoyment. Though I don’t ride again right away.

At Universal, I am ok with most everything except Forbidden Journey. Nothing get me as sick because of the way the arm moves in conjunction with the screen. My older daughter needs me to go once per trip and I am miserable for an hour or two afterwards. I do fine with Hagrids and Escape from Gringotts. I will get nauseous but not enough to hamper me. Love them both. Won’t ride them again that day though.

I do Spiderman and take off the 3d glass for the falling scene. We do that several times because my youngest (who also gets motion sick) loves it. Transformers was similar but jerked more so my neck hurt. It wasn’t a good enough ride to tempt me to do it again.

MIB does a few tight spins but my youngest and I can both handle it and we can both handle Minions. We will do them both a few times throughout the day.

I rode Jimmy Fallon without the 3 d glasses and it was manageable but my youngest won’t go on it again.

I haven’t done Hulk or Ripe Ride Rocket so I can’t comment.

Hi OP:
I agree with PP's that Forbidden Journey is a night mare for me. The arm thing makes me feel like I am going to turn over backwards, but it only leans you back alot. I was so sick through this ride that I missed most of it because I was trying not to be sick. It was one and done for me and I can usually ride anything. It's too bad because the que is one of the best in Universal. If I go again I will take the chicken exit so I can do the que again:)
Minnions made me a little nauseated but not enough to stop riding it again!
I don't do rollercoasters, so I can't help with that.
We loved MIB, but at the end there is a spin that could upset your stomach.
We didn't even try the Simpson's ride because of all the reports of dizziness and nausea from it. The rest of Universal's ride were fine for us. Good luck:)
I meant to mention Gringotts! It is a blast and the best ride I've ever been on. It is so immersive. The ride has screens too but they never bothered me. It moves constantly so you don't stare at a screen too long. I hope you give it a try.

I can do spiderman but not transformers.

no issues with gringotts, but can only do forbidden journey once a day.

Simpsons is a never ever ever ever ever again.

I don’t get severe motionsickness though so take mine with a grain of salt. We foundfast and furious so jerky id never do again. King kong no issue. And same with jimmy fallon but just found it lame so wouldn’t bother with it again.

minions can be hit or miss. I found it less motion issue when it was 3D.

Never tried Bonine, but Dramamine never did do much other than put me to sleep.
I tried the patch for our Universal trip, and it was a game changer for me. I was fine with everything. I know from past experience that I wouldn't have been able to do even half of the rides without it. My dad (who has issues like me) didn't use the patch and got nauseous on several rides. He ended up not riding a lot of the time.

I guess I’m one of the people that does not get drowsy when taking Dramamine or sometimes Bonine. I start taking it the early morning before our flight, and stop the day after I return. I get terrible motion sickness, car sick too. I do okay with all but the Potter arm ride. There, I have to close my eyes in parts. Simpsons, some parts too. But the other screens, no issues at all, when I am medicated. But as all, YMMV.

Bonine makes me a bit drowsy, but so terrible that I can't function. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Right now, I plan to for sure try everything but the Simpsons and maybe Forbidden Journey. I'm a huge HP fan, though, so if I feel like I'm doing OK on some of the others, I may try it. I did Men in Black my next trip....never again. I had to lay down for 20 minutes. I don't do spinning well.

Right now, I plan to for sure try everything but the Simpsons and maybe Forbidden Journey. I'm a huge HP fan, though, so if I feel like I'm doing OK on some of the others, I may try it. I did Men in Black my next trip....never again. I had to lay down for 20 minutes. I don't do spinning well.

If you are a huge HP fan, do the full line for Forbidden Journey. You get the see parts of the castle that you skip if you use the ExpressPass. Also, you can go through the line and then decide you don't want to ride. The walkthrough of the castle is wonderful and detailed.

Try the patches! They work amazingly well for me!

As others have said, Forbidden Journey and Simpsons are THE worst for motion sickness!

For those with bad motion sickness, Try Spiderman before Transformers.

There are 2 forms of Dramamine - one active ingredient is dimenhydrinate and more likely cause drowsiness. The other is meclizine, which is the same ingredient as Bonine. It's less likely to cause drowsiness, but can.
When I went last year, I was eating meclizine and had a tough time enjoying some rides. I never feel like I have to 🤮 but I definitely get dizzy & nauseous.
This year I wore the scop patches & it was a much better experience. Scop patches can cause drowsiness & blurry vision too; I usually just have dry mouth.
If you can, try the meds when you don't have to do anything to see how the side effects are.

There are 2 forms of Dramamine - one active ingredient is dimenhydrinate and more likely cause drowsiness. The other is meclizine, which is the same ingredient as Bonine. It's less likely to cause drowsiness, but can.
When I went last year, I was eating meclizine and had a tough time enjoying some rides. I never feel like I have to 🤮 but I definitely get dizzy & nauseous.
This year I wore the scop patches & it was a much better experience. Scop patches can cause drowsiness & blurry vision too; I usually just have dry mouth.
If you can, try the meds when you don't have to do anything to see how the side effects are.
I've had the patch several times for surgeries and have never had any issues. I may try it.

Try half a bonine.

During the Forbidden Journey ride, if you close your eyes as soon as you get into the screen parts, it helps. Just have the person beside you (hopefully you know them) let you know when you exist the screen parts.

OP, I am similar in terms of rides I get motion sick on. On Soarin, I am similar to you. I love it and can do it, but there are a few parts where I feel motion sickness trying to get to me- I can sort of will it away because it passes quickly - especially if I look straight ahead. This was the exact scenario I had on Journey. Sometimes I just closed my eyes for a moment. (Also, I am not even a soda drinker, but CocaCola is a life saver for me with motion sickness, so I try to have a Coke ready afterward. Journey was definitely worth doing and equivalent to Soarin.
Right next to Hogwarts, Flight of Hippogryff (sp?) was absolutely fine. (Like Barnstormer) Escape from Gringotts was fine for me too. Forward moving, so that is always good for me. It was fun! I was fine on ET, the Dr Seuss thing, the mummy... (This is all from memory) I did not do the major coasters. Ask around about King Kong, Spiderman and MIB. At least one of those made me sick, but I can't remember which it was and I avoided the others. I think it was Spiderman. It had something to do with a city scene and tall buildings, so could be any....

Also, I second that the Scop patch is the best! I did not take any med/ patch for Universal. But when I have been on cruises, the patch has been terrific. I would have wanted to jump off the ship without it. For the record, dramamine knocks me out completely! I did get blurred vision from the patch, but it was worth it.

Another patch fan here! I actually took it with a morning bonine, slightly blurred vision, dry mouth, but I could ride Forbidden Journey as often I wanted, and do the screen rides without an issue. So worth it!
Edited to add that I am so sensitive to motion that I have to be the driver in a car, I get nauseous as a passenger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter