Motion Sickness questions

On simulators and on drops, closing your eyes is actually not as good as looking down at your body. Doing that stabilizes what you are looking at, because your eyes will then be moving exactly with the rest of you, and your horizon will be constant. (I don't mean look at your hand. Drop your chin to your chest and focus on a small part of your lap, then keep your eyes on that part of your body the entire time.)

Quite a few years ago, I discovered that looking through a viewfinder whilst on rides has the same effect; it keeps the horizon in line with your eyes. Found this out trying to take a photo of my eldest on Dumbo, and it has worked every since. Always use a strong wrist strap on the camera in case you lose your grip on it; you don't want to bean anyone! (And of course, don't do it on coasters where holding anything in your hands during the ride is prohibited.)

Star tours is really bad for me. One part in FOP makes me sick, but I just close my eyes. The good news about simulators is you can just close your eyes and should be ok, so it’s worth trying new rides.

On simulators and on drops, closing your eyes is actually not as good as looking down at your body. Doing that stabilizes what you are looking at, because your eyes will then be moving exactly with the rest of you, and your horizon will be constant. (I don't mean look at your hand. Drop your chin to your chest and focus on a small part of your lap, then keep your eyes on that part of your body the entire time.)

Quite a few years ago, I discovered that looking through a viewfinder whilst on rides has the same effect; it keeps the horizon in line with your eyes. Found this out trying to take a photo of my eldest on Dumbo, and it has worked every since. Always use a strong wrist strap on the camera in case you lose your grip on it; you don't want to bean anyone! (And of course, don't do it on coasters where holding anything in your hands during the ride is prohibited.)

Wonder if that would work on the backwards part of EE.

I take Bonine every night, starting the night before check in. It lasts 24 hours and if it makes me drowsy that works to my advantage overnight. So long as I do that, I am fine. The worst thing for me, if I don’t take it, are the circlevision movies. Those can make me soooooo sick!

I don't suffer from motion sickness but Star Tours makes me feel sick for about 20 minutes afterwards- I've tried it at least 4 times in the past 3 years and felt terrible each time.

If I had to rank them in order of roughness I'd say ST, MFSR, FOP, Soarin. Try FOP first, if you feel ok with it then try MFSR, stay away from ST.

The crystals in my ears get lost from time to time, so I get really bad vertigo and need to get them back in place. Almost any attraction could knock them loose, too, if it jerks, spins, bumps up and down, etc.

I have the "patch" and usually if I know we'll be on some crazy rides I'll wear it. But I'm really ok passing on Star Tours, FOP, etc. I actually don't mind a bit of time by myself (everyone needs to get away from the family for just a bit!!)

This does actually work. I was even able to do the Orange side of Mission Space, and I have horrible issues with Motion Sickness (don't get me started on being a passenger in a car).... For Mission Space, I focused on my monitor, and nothing else. Didn't turn my head or anything, and I came off of it without even so much as a headache.

Definitely recommend Bonine or the generic meclizine the night before—-lasts 24 hours— I have no side effects — without it, I have severe motion sickness:(

DH has suffered from motion sickness since he was a kid. He got very sick after trying star tours one time. He says he will never do that again. He had a couple of adult beverages and was able to do FOP. Medicine has never worked well for him.

I suffer from motion sickness and definitely cannot handle Star Tours. I do fine with Flight of Passage, mostly because there is a breeze blowing on you which helps.

For ST, someone here once mentioned to ask to sit in the middle seat in the middle row. That’s the pivot point so has the least motion. I tried it and it really made a difference! So much less jarring motion. Maybe try that?
And scopolamine patches are an answer to a prayer as far as motion sickness goes...

Everyone is different but for me, I get queasy on Soarin but its far worse for me on FOP.
Star Tours is also bad.

Dh has the worst motion sickness of anyone I've ever known. No OTC meds work, no wrist bands, no patch behind the ear.... He can tolerate Soarin', but FOP made him sick for 2hrs. He had to lie down on a bench in Satu'li Canteen. Star Tours made him sick for the rest of the trip. MFSR is really dependent on the pilots. He rode twice. The first experience was smooth, so he went again.... The next experience had 2 young kids as pilots who were too scared to even watch the screen. Yup, the rest of that day was a write off for him... Needless to say he doesn't do anything more thrilling than Soarin' anymore.

I know this isn't the question, but I highly recommend Scopolamine patches if you can get them...ask your doctor they are prescription. If that's not an option, sea bands accupressure bands are great too

Wonder if that would work on the backwards part of EE.
I do use meds (used to take Meclizine, now I just go straight to the patch), but for EE if I sit in the front it doesn't bother me much at all. If I sit in the back...not good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter