Motion Sickness!

bigeyedfish

Mouseketeer
Please Share rides to avoid if you suffer from motion sickness, TY!

I would say that my motion sickness is moderate - I cannot tolerate rides that spin or go backwards.

Mad Tea Party (spins)
Mission Space orange (spins, but I can't really tell that it is spinning)
Expedition Everest (has a backwards helix in the dark, which usually unsettles my stomach)

I actually felt ill after riding Dumbo and the Carousel. They're such gentle rides but going in a circle was no good for me.

Just as I started to feel sick on the 7 Dwarves Mine Train the ride was over so that was actually okay.

Astro Orbiter, the carousel, tea cups, Star Tours, FOP, TSMM, and I've never been brave enough to try Mission Space, but I'm guessing that would do it too!

I actually felt ill after riding Dumbo and the Carousel. They're such gentle rides but going in a circle was no good for me.

Just as I started to feel sick on the 7 Dwarves Mine Train the ride was over so that was actually okay.

Years ago, I nearly lost it at a Six Flags park riding something called the "Big Red Planes" with my son. It is basically Dumbo. I thought I was going to lose my lunch on the kiddie ride lol.

I would say any of those spoke and wheel rides have the potential. Dumbo, Astro Orbiter, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, and the one at AK . . . Triceratop Spin I think. The spinning coaster at AK (think that one is called primevil whirl) can make me sick just thinking about it.

I've never had a problem with the tea cups, I think maybe just because it is such a short ride, but then again, I am also not bothered by Star Tours or FOP. TSMM will occasionally give me a hint that it could get to me, but again, the movements in it are relatively short. Most of the time is spent sitting still in front of a screen, so it has never really caused me a problem. Mission Space, I have only ever done the non spinning side. That doesn't bother me, but I can see the potential in it, so I guess that comes down to you knowing just how sensitive you are, and exactly what kinds of motions get you.

Something that I find helpful before trying a new ride is to search for a youtube video ridethrough. Usually, that will give me enough of an idea of the motions involved for me to have a clue as to whether it is going to be a bad idea or not.

Expedition Everest
- The backwards part makes me nauseous

Mad Tea Party
-Spinning!

Mission Space (green makes me nauseous, and ive never been brave enough to try orange)
- motion simulator type rides make me nauseous

Star Tours

Flight of Passage

I also recommend taking Benadryl or Dramamine each morning before heading to the parks. Huge help with motion sickness. I am very sensitive to motion and taking Benadryl each morning allows me to enjoy almost all of the rides without worry.

If spinning gets to you, add Primeval Whirl to your list of ones to skip. If bumps and jerkiness get to you I'd add Dinosaur to your list. Kali River Rapids could be hit or miss (it may spin and you may go backwards at some point).

It should also be noted that Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin should be ok since you actually get to control if and how much you spin.

It’s a relief to me knowing others who are motion sickness sensitive have trouble with TSMM. I’d never done that one until last month, and I’ve been wondering if it was just me or that I drank too much coffee that morning! It made me feel so sick. The only other one I have trouble on (and I’ve intentionally avoided rockin roller coaster, mission space, and astro obiter) is the tea cups.

Toy Story Mania. My husband has motion sickness and it really bothers him when the cars circle around to switch screens.

I'm also prone to motion sickness. Prior to our cruise a few months ago, a friend recommended Bonine and now I swear by it. It's a very tiny chewable tablet and easy to take each morning. I took a box of Bonine with us to Disney our last trip purposely so I didn't have to skip all these rides and I didn't even feel a little "dizzy" after the rides that have always given me trouble.

Wow, thanks! Motion sickness was never a problem until I hit my 30’s for some reason. So it will be trial and error, but it’s nice to have an idea of which rides affect others. I’ll definitely grab some Bonine to try, thanks!

I took Bonine on our last cruise. I took it too late as I never had motion sickness before. It worked but not as well as it could have it I took it sooner. I liked it better as it was a quick chewable tablet and it did not make me drowsy.

I do avoid Soarn, Start Tours, Mission Space and really anything that is a simulator. I did not do well on Everest (the going backwards in the dark made me almost dis oriented) as well Space Mountain (the pitch black was rough). I also do not do the Tea Cups as that make me sick.

I have no problem though with rides like dumbo or the carousel. I do have to say i was ok on Soarn when I sat in the front row. If I started to feel sick I just looked over top of the screen at the wall and that helped.

Motion sickness was never a problem until I hit my 30’s for some reason

Same with me. I went on 2 cruises in my 20's and was fine. We went on one this summer at age 39 and it was horrible. Thankfully the Bonine helped. I flew for the first time in 14 years earlier this month and I took the Bonine before the flight because I was scared of being sick. I did fine.

I use prescription scopolamine patches. For me, motion sickness is about my ears saying "We're moving!" and my eyes saying "No, we're not!" So planes, back seat of the car. Absolutely no reading. For me, about all I can't do is a simulator ride (but I am going to try FOP this year as I've heard it's a don't miss experience; I may be very sorry). A reason never to head to universal. Too many of those simulator type things.

You sound like my H, no spinning, no going backwards. Doesn't matter if the ride is a fast spinner or a slow spinner (i.e. kiddie ride). I've seen the man take his 2 yo nephew on the "balloon ride," walk off and toss his lunch into the nearest trash can. So, no...
teacups, astro orbiter, kiddie rides (Aladdin, Dumbo, Carousel, Triceratop Spin, etc), the new alien ride in DHS is probably a no, Everest, primeval whirl can get a little iffy, mission space (out for both of us).

My mom gets motion sick pretty easily (three years post chemo, really did a number on her) - when I took her last October she wore sea bands and the only thing that really made her actually ill was Star Tours. We did the teacups but didn't spin much. She is afraid of roller coasters but was brave and did Mine Train, Barnstormer, Big Thunder, and Everest.

I avoided Primeval Whirl (oof, that one is rough even if you don't deal with motion sickness! sometimes I suffer it for the kids but that's it!) and Space Mountain, mostly b/c they're a little rough. She was fine with Dinosaur.

I'm worried I will get motion sick easier this trip because I have new progressive (lineless bifocals) lens. If you don't look through the bottom or sides of the glasses things can be a bit more blurried.

I have gotten queezy at Mad Tea Cups, Mission Space and Star Tours .. but only on multiple rides in a quick succession.

My plan this trip is to take some non-drowsy Dramamine every morning just to help out.

I've tried the following and won't do again;
Tea Cups
Expedition Everest- this one was the worst, and I took a bonine that morning that I felt didn't help, but I guess it could have been worse, LOL. No way to really know. I was pretty much done after this one.
Star Tours
Mission Space
Test Track

Because I get really motion sick, I haven't attempted ToT, RnR, Space, Dinosaur, Primeawhirl

Not sure if I will try FOP on my next trip, I'm a little worried.

Last edited:
I'm also prone to motion sickness. Prior to our cruise a few months ago, a friend recommended Bonine and now I swear by it. It's a very tiny chewable tablet and easy to take each morning. I took a box of Bonine with us to Disney our last trip purposely so I didn't have to skip all these rides and I didn't even feel a little "dizzy" after the rides that have always given me trouble.

I second Bonine. It's like Dramamine but it doesn't make you as tired. I take one every morning. I can do EE, but I do feel a bit woozy for about 10 minutes afterwards. I can't do Star Tours. Haven't tried FOP yet, not sure if I will on our next trip. I can do TSMM just fine. To me, it doesn't really "spin", it just kind of whips around. I can't do Dubmo, Tea Cups, Astro Orbiter, or Carousel. I will not even step in the line of Mission Space. Soarin also makes me a little woozy, but as soon as I'm off of it, I feel fine.

Reactions: TJA

I use Bonine as well, and have had no motion sickness issues while using it. Without it, the 360 degree movies make me very ill, worse than any ride. I think it’s because the eyes say I am moving when I am not. I take my Bonine each night before bed and it lasts 24 hours for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter