• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Motion Sickness

JoyfulHeart

Earning My Ears
We are headed to universal this weekend and DD gets carsick. She has been super excited about the trip until two weeks ago she got car sick when we were out. Now she is scared to go on most of the rides. i think i need to add she doesn't always get car sick just sometimes on long trips. We have been to Disney multiple times and she has never had a problem. i kept trying to compare universals 3D rides with Star tours, but she's not having it. Now she's not ever been on big roller coaters ( no Gardians, slinky dog or space mountain) but she loved Big thunder Mountain. We went on Star tours 12 times over 2 days. is it anything similar to what we will deal with at universal or am i completely off base

The only ride at Disney that gets me is Remy, and I have no clue why that is. Well, if I get a really bad driver on Millennium Falcon, that can do it, too, but there are a few rides at Universal that sometimes make me rethink my life: Forbidden Journey - If I’m overheated or have an empty stomach, I’ll have to fight nausea and not feel myself for quite a while. I can’t sit backward on the Hogwart’s Express and look out the window. Spider-Man - same as Forbidden Journey, except there are portions in that ride where it gets warm, so there’s that added issue. I try to hydrate well before I get on it, and it seemed to work last time I was there beginning of May. Simpson’s, Jimmy Fallon, Minion Mayhem, Transformers, Fast & Furious, and Kong - those are all screen rides, as well, that could pose some issues, but those have never bothered me. Rip Ride Rocket beats me up terribly and does make me feel kind of woozy and has me praying for it to be over. Our last trip, I finally told my son he’d be riding on his own from here on out; I’m officially too old and done with that one!

Hubby & I can do Forbidden Journey - usually, LOL - but The Simpson's ride was horrible for both of us 😞 - never again....

It has been years since I have been to Disney and I have only had problems on the tea cups.

Many of Universal’s rides are next-level for motion sickness. I can’t do the park without motion sickness assistance. I have found that meclizine has worked best for me. Finding the 12.5 dose helps me to dial it in without incredible drowsiness.

I agree with previous poster that the Simpsons is a NEVER again. Probably the worst motion-sickness ride ever.

I have also had trouble with the following but am fine with meclizine as long as I start it well before riding:
Forbidden Journey
Spiderman
Transformers

If she can handle Star Tours she can handle most of the motion simulators at Universal (Minions, Race Through New York, King Kong,). The Simpsons ride might be questionable. Forbidden Journey is not a motion simulator like Simpsons, but for some people it can be too intense.

You might consider the trans-derm scop patch for anti nausea. It works loads better than Dramamine without the added sleepiness. It is prescription in the US but OTC in Canada. Might be worth it for her peace of mind.

Usually Simpsons & Forbidden Journey are the biggest motion sickness culprits. Try starting with the other rides first, and build up. If spinning is an issue, Men in Black can be a problem.

Star Tours is the only ride at WDW that gets to me, I can't do it more than once, and sometimes not even that. (but I love the stories.)
The ones that get me the most at Universal are: forbidden Journey (but it's such a cool ride.)- if you feel it might not be inclined to ride, just walk the queue through the castle, and then tell the TM near the end that you're not riding
Simpsons-barf city. But it is SO hilarious. I do try to ride it when I can, just keep my eyes closed the whole time. the script is funny
Transformers got me last trip, nope!, but Spider Man did not. I made it most of it twice w/o issues.
Minions gets me, and Jimmy Fallon.
Oh, and Hagrids. I think it was the backwards motion, first thing in the AM, probably without enough on my stomach
My DD gets VERY carsick, but doesn't have issues with the rides. unless she's not eaten or just eaten sweets. If you know she has any triggers, try and be aware of those, time the rides at better times.
Hope y'all have a wonderful time, and she tries a few things, with no issues!!!

Thank you all for you replies. It has made her feel much better. She says she's going to give them a try....except Simpsons-lol. That seems to be on everyones list if they get sick. I am bringing kids Dramamine with us ( she is a very, very tiny 12 year old) and had success in the car with it as long as we stay away from fried food, with no drowsiness. Again- THANK YOU!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter