Motorized Boat Rentals: Tips and Experiences

Enya

Earning My Ears
I'm planning a trip to WDW at the end of February, and one thing that's been on my Disney bucket list for ages is renting one of those motorized boats. The idea of cruising around the Seven Seas Lagoon or Crescent Lake sounds like such a magical experience, and I've decided that this time, I'm going to make it happen!

However, as I've been trying to gather information, it seems like recent details on renting motorized boats are a bit scarce. I thought, what better place to turn to than this fantastic community for some firsthand advice and recent experiences?

If any of you have rented a motorized boat at Walt Disney World recently or have any tips to share, I would love to hear from you! What type of boats are available? Are there specific routes or areas you recommend exploring? How was the overall experience, and do you have any insider tips to make the most of it?

I've checked online for recent information, but it seems like the details can vary, and I trust the insights from fellow Disney fans more than anything.

Looking forward to hearing your stories and getting some guidance on this exciting adventure!

Most of the smaller motorized watercraft (the SeaRaycers) were sold off during covid and have not returned. We were told that long periods with no use would gum up the small engines and so the decision was made to sell off the fleet. We have inquired several times about their potential return since then and at this point I have a sinking feeling that they may not buy a new fleet at all. The only thing I have seen left for rental are the Sun Tracker pontoon boats (plus canoes and kayaks at Fort Wilderness).

Most of the smaller motorized watercraft (the SeaRaycers) were sold off during covid and have not returned. We were told that long periods with no use would gum up the small engines and so the decision was made to sell off the fleet. We have inquired several times about their potential return since then and at this point I have a sinking feeling that they may not buy a new fleet at all. The only thing I have seen left for rental are the Sun Tracker pontoon boats (plus canoes and kayaks at Fort Wilderness).
Thank you so much for sharing. It's a bit disappointing to hear that the SeaRaycers may not be returning, but I really appreciate the insight.
Given the changes, I'm now considering renting one of the Sun Tracker pontoon boats. However, I've heard that reservations aren't an option, and it's first-come, first-serve.

If anyone has recently rented a pontoon boat or has information on the best time of day to increase my chances, your input would be incredibly helpful.

I'm also curious if anyone with no prior boat-driving experience has rented one of these pontoon boats. Would love to hear about your experience and whether navigating the waterways was beginner-friendly. I'm excited about the prospect, but a little nervous since I've never driven a boat before.

I know Paging Mr Morrow has quite a few videos on YouTube where he rents a pontoon if you want to watch those for an idea of the experience.
Quite entertaining.

My DH and I rented a pontoon boat out of GF about a year ago. It was super easy to walk up and rent one. You need to sign some paperwork and show ID. If memory serves, you are charged by the 1/2 hour and charged your total once you return the boat and they know how long you have been out. I have zero boating experience, but piloted the boat and it was very easy, IMHO. Personally, if I were to do it again, I would probably rent out of Contemporary so we would already be on Bay Lake. Navigating Seven Seas Lagoon was a little anxiety-provoking as you are contending with the giant ferry boats from TTC and the smaller craft that are taking guests from the resorts. If you leave from GF, you also have to go over a water bridge, which is very narrow and you share that with the boats coming from CR, WL, Ft. W. In short, if you aren't comfortable piloting the boat with other ferries and boats around you, rent from CR. Also, the speakers on the boats are bluetooth compatible, so we played Disney music while boating around - it was really fun. Also, there are patrol boats on the water, so if you find yourself in any trouble, the boat stalls, etc., you just wave your arms at them and they will come by to help you. If memory serves, you can bring snacks and drinks on the boat, but no alcohol. We really enjoyed our boat rental!

Edited to add: bring sunscreen! also, even though you will rent a boat from a resort, you will not be able to park at that resort unless you have a resort or dining reservation, so make sure to figure out what transportation you may need to get to your chosen resort.

I know Paging Mr Morrow has quite a few videos on YouTube where he rents a pontoon if you want to watch those for an idea of the experience.
Quite entertaining.
Ooh thanks for the recommendation! I'm a fan of his channel, but I hadn't seen the pontoon rental videos yet. Sounds like a perfect way to get a feel for the experience and gather some insights.

My DH and I rented a pontoon boat out of GF about a year ago. It was super easy to walk up and rent one. You need to sign some paperwork and show ID. If memory serves, you are charged by the 1/2 hour and charged your total once you return the boat and they know how long you have been out. I have zero boating experience, but piloted the boat and it was very easy, IMHO. Personally, if I were to do it again, I would probably rent out of Contemporary so we would already be on Bay Lake. Navigating Seven Seas Lagoon was a little anxiety-provoking as you are contending with the giant ferry boats from TTC and the smaller craft that are taking guests from the resorts. If you leave from GF, you also have to go over a water bridge, which is very narrow and you share that with the boats coming from CR, WL, Ft. W. In short, if you aren't comfortable piloting the boat with other ferries and boats around you, rent from CR. Also, the speakers on the boats are bluetooth compatible, so we played Disney music while boating around - it was really fun. Also, there are patrol boats on the water, so if you find yourself in any trouble, the boat stalls, etc., you just wave your arms at them and they will come by to help you. If memory serves, you can bring snacks and drinks on the boat, but no alcohol. We really enjoyed our boat rental!

Edited to add: bring sunscreen! also, even though you will rent a boat from a resort, you will not be able to park at that resort unless you have a resort or dining reservation, so make sure to figure out what transportation you may need to get to your chosen resort.
Thanks @Marthasor, your insights are incredibly valuable! I appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed information.

It's reassuring to hear that the rental process and piloting the boat is straightforward, especially for someone like me with zero boating experience. Your tips on navigating Seven Seas Lagoon versus Bay Lake and the water bridge at GF are gold. I think we'll rent the boat from the Contemporary. :)

The Bluetooth-compatible speakers for playing Disney music sound like such a fun touch!

Thanks again for sharing your firsthand experience. If anyone else has more tips or stories to share, I'm all ears!

also, even though you will rent a boat from a resort, you will not be able to park at that resort unless you have a resort or dining reservation, so make sure to figure out what transportation you may need to get to your chosen resort.
I was under the impression that any reservation, including boat rental, fireworks cruise, etc., allowed you to park at that resort. Is that not true? Were you turned away from parking at GF for your pontoon boat rental reservation?

I was under the impression that any reservation, including boat rental, fireworks cruise, etc., allowed you to park at that resort. Is that not true? Were you turned away from parking at GF for your pontoon boat rental reservation?

You can't make a reservation for a pontoon boat rental - it's walk-up only. We were staying at GF, so we just walked to the boat dock. Guests who want to rent pontoon boats, but don't have a resort, dining or recreation/spa reservation will need to find an alternative way to enter the resort to walk up for a boat rental.

You can't make a reservation for a pontoon boat rental - it's walk-up only. We were staying at GF, so we just walked to the boat dock. Guests who want to rent pontoon boats, but don't have a resort, dining or recreation/spa reservation will need to find an alternative way to enter the resort to walk up for a boat rental.
Ah, okay, I didn’t understand this wasn’t a reservation situation. Thanks for clarifying.

We rented a pontoon many years ago at Riverside. It was a fun time cruising over to Downtown Disney (what it was called then.) No issues renting and a last minute decision. We also did a pirates fireworks cruise in 2005 which was fun. So many desserts that you couldn't try everything! Next, we want to do a fireworks cruise next were it is just us. Thinking this coming summer is the time.

We have rented the pontoons several times from the Yacht Club dock. Super fun!
I believe they close by 5pm (?).
You will need your drivers license when you check in, even if staying onsite.
They will go over all the rules, mainly speed and giving way to the Friendship boats. The boat is very easy to “drive” around the lake. We had no problems, and had never driven one before.
You can take turns and change drivers, just come to a complete stop before doing so .
There is a radio onboard, you can listen to local stations, Disney music or even play your own via Bluetooth.
Have fun, and any other questions don’t hesitate to ask!

Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who shared their pontoon boat rental experiences and tips! With only about a month left until my trip, your insights have made me even more excited to hit the water.

If anyone has more advice or stories to share, feel free to keep them coming. Can't wait to share how it all goes on my end!

I'll give it a go.
I have had boats for over 45 years. Started with a 17' ski boat and ended with a 35' cruiser that would sleep 4. So I guess you could say I have a little experience on the subject. rented one of the small "racers" years ago. It was fun but a little underpowered for my tastes. Not putting them down because if you have no experience in handling watercraft it can be a great experience. I've never rented a pontoon boat there but I have driven them. They are very easy to operate, stable and also fun, but unlike those little water sprites you can take more people along with you for sharing the activity. I did find that you can stuff the bow if not careful.
I'm sure you'll get the "rules of the road" lecture from the staff before they cast you off and send you on your merry way so I won't go into it. Biggest thing is being on the water is more fun than just looking at it!

I'll give it a go.
I have had boats for over 45 years. Started with a 17' ski boat and ended with a 35' cruiser that would sleep 4. So I guess you could say I have a little experience on the subject. rented one of the small "racers" years ago. It was fun but a little underpowered for my tastes. Not putting them down because if you have no experience in handling watercraft it can be a great experience. I've never rented a pontoon boat there but I have driven them. They are very easy to operate, stable and also fun, but unlike those little water sprites you can take more people along with you for sharing the activity. I did find that you can stuff the bow if not careful.
I'm sure you'll get the "rules of the road" lecture from the staff before they cast you off and send you on your merry way so I won't go into it. Biggest thing is being on the water is more fun than just looking at it!
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your extensive boat experience – 45 years is quite the journey from a 17' ski boat to a 35' cruiser! It's fascinating to hear your perspective, especially considering your wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Your mention of the "rules of the road" and the joy of being on the water resonated with me. I have fond memories of my grandfather's speed boat, and that's a big reason why I'm so excited to get back on the water.

Personally, if I were to do it again, I would probably rent out of Contemporary so we would already be on Bay Lake. Navigating Seven Seas Lagoon was a little anxiety-provoking as you are contending with the giant ferry boats from TTC and the smaller craft that are taking guests from the resorts. If you leave from GF, you also have to go over a water bridge, which is very narrow and you share that with the boats coming from CR, WL, Ft. W. In short, if you aren't comfortable piloting the boat with other ferries and boats around you, rent from CR. Also, the speakers on the boats are bluetooth compatible, so we played Disney music while boating around - it was really fun. Also, there are patrol boats on the water, so if you find yourself in any trouble, the boat stalls, etc., you just wave your arms at them and they will come by to help you. If memory serves, you can bring snacks and drinks on the boat, but no alcohol. We really enjoyed our boat rental!
This is so helpful. Thank you!

We used to rent the SeaRaycers every visit when I was growing up, but I've been wanting to rent a pontoon boat recently and this answered a lot of questions for me. (Relatives nearby in Florida would take us to 'Ohana for the day, and we'd rent the boats after arriving early for our ADR)

I also know they're open for rentals from 11AM - 5PM only.

I've rented a pontoon boat a couple of times... once for the waterways linking Old Key West to (what is now) Disney Springs and its lake, and the other time was on Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon. Depending on your traveling party, it's amazing to go out into the middle of Bay Lake and just idle... lay back and enjoy the quiet. It's an interesting experience to find some peace and quiet in the middle of the water surrounded by Disney.

I've rented a pontoon boat a couple of times... once for the waterways linking Old Key West to (what is now) Disney Springs and its lake, and the other time was on Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon. Depending on your traveling party, it's amazing to go out into the middle of Bay Lake and just idle... lay back and enjoy the quiet. It's an interesting experience to find some peace and quiet in the middle of the water surrounded by Disney.
I was wondering about renting a pontoon boat at OKW. Does anyone know if it's still possible?

This is not totally accurate. We have resort hopped a number of times and have been let in without a reservation and we have only been turned away once from the campgrounds, because they were full, and even then they told us we could park at WL. We visited GF last March (while staying at POP) and all the security guard did was made sure we were staying at one of the WDW resorts and then scanned my MB. I talked to him about letting people park (because of what I read here) and he said that they will always try to let an onsite guest park if there is availability and that offsite vehicles will need a reservation or proof that they are visiting a guest staying at that resort.
Also, this is on WDW web page under Resort Hotel Parking
"Standard self-parking is complimentary for day Guests while they enjoy select dining, shopping, entertainment and recreation experiences at this Disney Resort hotel."
Now if the parking lots are full then of course the guard will turn you away.

I was wondering about renting a pontoon boat at OKW. Does anyone know if it's still possible?
Unfortunately not. Pontoon boats are only available for rental at:

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Disney's Beach Club Villas
Disney's Contemporary Resort
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Yacht Club Resort
The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

This is listed on the Disney website here: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/motorized-boats/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter