Movies That Got It Wrong

Well - as an engineer it's showing people who are absolute masters of all disciplines like in Star Trek or Tony Stark. There is zero way that anyone could lone wolf something like an Iron Man suit (if it could exist) alone with just an AI helper. It would just be too complicated. What they had in some Batman movies might have been more realistic, where they had technology developed by large teams for military use but unsold and then repurposed for Batman's use.

Now they have shown things in Marvel movies like in Spider Man: Far from Home where a former Stark Industries engineer is part of a revenge plot.

Howard Stark was supposedly patterned after Howard Hughes. The Marvel world does show that he hired quite a few people, but I heard at his peak, Howard Hughes had well over 300 people with Ph.ds working for him.

A lot of movies that have teacher scenes are ridiculous. The madonna/(something that rhymes with "more") dichotomy is big in portrayals of teachers (Ex: "Overboard" & "Matilda"), but some films are just plain silly in their portrayals. Off the top of my head:
- "Teachers", the movie where the school's lawyer walks naked down the school hallway, and a long-term substitute is actually a runaway mental patient (um, yeah)
- "Overboard", in which a rotten teacher punishes a child who is obviously sick
- "Matilda", in which the syrupy-sweet teacher speaks in a fatuously earnest manner. We do love and enjoy kids, but I've taught for 20 years and never witnessed a real teacher talking like that.
- "School of Rock" is actually a movie I like but its premise is something that could never happen (given a real classroom of kids, most would squeal immediately- they're just not good secret-keepers). Also, asking colleagues about their standardized test preferences is not our idea of interesting lunch conversation.
-"Lean on Me", which purposefully spread the idea that teachers deserve to be abused by administration due to the fact that many students at the violent and impoverished school were low-performing. Pediatricians who serve low income communities don't get screamed at for having many obese children as patients (a good doctor would fix that, and never mind about the child's parents with few cooking skills who are feeding him Cokes & Twinkies for dinner, the fact that they live in a food desert with no produce or lean meats readily available anyway, or the fact that he has nowhere to do sports or play), but somehow it's okay for teachers to get screamed at for having academically challenged students. SMH.
-"Doubt", set in a Catholic school in the early 1960s, in which two over-vigilant nun teachers conspire to get the principal/priest they wrongly suspect of sexual abuse to remove himself from the school. Yeah, that kind of hypervigilant monitoring of potential sexual abuse in Catholic schools happened all the time back then and was the real story that the Boston Globe didn't cover, uh huh.

A couple of films I've seen that have shown realistic teachers & eschew the madonna/(something that rhymes with "more") complex that Hollywood has about teachers:
-"Fortress" the storyline (even though very loosely based on a true story) is not anything likely to happen, but the teacher's classroom behavior was realistic.
-"Music of the Heart" featured Meryl Streep as a believable and funny music teacher dealing with realistic situations.

Last edited:
Iā€™m often amused at mistakes in movies and TV shows with military subjectsā€”incorrect uniforms, ranks, procedures, hardware names, etc. Of course, CNN isnā€™t much better. They are often completely ignorant on military matters and nomenclature.

I read in a book about West Point that this is international. They don't want anyone to use the footage to reproduce uniforms with exact precision for obvious security reasons. CNN on the other hand........

For me, it's video gaming. Actors playing video games tend to frantically smash any button they can find......NOBODY does this!!!

The Wizard was the best example of this......

Slightly off topic, but is anyone else bothered by this or is it just me? Lol
View attachment 610949

Commanders can be ship captains. I believe most US Navy vessels have Commanders as their commanding officer, and they're often referred to the as the captain regardless of rank.

But this could just be why Mickey Mouse has four fingers on each hand - to reduce the visual load. Besides that mice don't have hands nor do they wear gloves.

If it's fictional I tend to not worry, but if it's related to a historical event it's more troubling.

I've heard "The Last Samurai" is not very realistic for example.

Other than that, if a movie is based on a book and they get some major detail wrong, that can be an issue also. Example: The "I Am Legend" movie ending completely changed the meaning of the whole work IMO

A lot of movies that have teacher scenes are ridiculous. The madonna/(something that rhymes with "more") dichotomy is big in portrayals of teachers (Ex: "Overboard" & "Matilda"), but some films are just plain silly in their portrayals. Off the top of my head:
- "Teachers", the movie where the school's lawyer walks naked down the school hallway, and a long-term substitute is actually a runaway mental patient (um, yeah)
- "Overboard", in which a rotten teacher punishes a child who is obviously sick
- "Matilda", in which the syrupy-sweet teacher speaks in a fatuously earnest manner. We do love and enjoy kids, but I've taught for 20 years and never witnessed a real teacher talking like that.
- "School of Rock" is actually a movie I like but its premise is something that could never happen (given a real classroom of kids, most would squeal immediately- they're just not good secret-keepers). Also, asking colleagues about their standardized test preferences is not our idea of interesting lunch conversation.
-"Lean on Me", which purposefully spread the idea that teachers deserve to be abused by administration due to the fact that many students at the violent and impoverished school were low-performing. Pediatricians who serve low income communities don't get screamed at for having many obese children as patients (a good doctor would fix that, and never mind about the child's parents with few cooking skills who are feeding him Cokes & Twinkies for dinner, the fact that they live in a food desert with no produce or lean meats readily available anyway, or the fact that he has nowhere to do sports or play), but somehow it's okay for teachers to get screamed at for having academically challenged students. SMH.
-"Doubt", set in a Catholic school in the early 1960s, in which two over-vigilant nun teachers conspire to get the principal/priest they wrongly suspect of sexual abuse to remove himself from the school. Yeah, that kind of hypervigilant monitoring of potential sexual abuse in Catholic schools happened all the time back then and was the real story that the Boston Globe didn't cover, uh huh.

A couple of films I've seen that have shown realistic teachers & eschew the madonna/(something that rhymes with "more") complex that Hollywood has about teachers:
-"Fortress" the storyline (even though very loosely based on a true story) is not anything likely to happen, but the teacher's classroom behavior was realistic.
-"Music of the Heart" featured Meryl Streep as a believable and funny music teacher dealing with realistic situations.
how do you feel about Mr Holland's Opus? Probably not realistic, but I still loved the movie. lol

Every movie where a person under threat stands their ground against a villian with, "You need to _____ or I'm going to -----." In the real world, are people really this clueless about how warnings can be used against them? Why would anyone share their counter?
It's all so cringe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter