• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moving between cabins once onboard

terramei

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are booked in a 1 bedroom on the Fantasy for an upcoming cruise. We booked our kids in grandma and grandpas cabin because the pricing was ridiculous for children too young to take advantage of any of the concierge benefits.

Once onboard can we get them moved into our room? I thought I had read on the boards about someone doing something like this with their spouse. Where they actually move the individual into that stateroom in the computer, not just get an extra room key for them.

You can go to whatever room you book and whoever you want in each room but they do not change it on their system. You can get extra keys.

I've never heard of them making a change to the reservation (in the computer). You can have anyone physically sleep in whichever room you want. They will give you the keys needed to have access to the rooms however you want -- just want grandma and grandpa to have access to their room, all the other keys can be coded to your room. You can also have different people in a reservation (stateroom) have different charging privileges so any charges (excursions, etc.) for you children can go to your account rather than the grandparents.

Only the people in the Concierge cabin can use the Concierge areas. I know if you are in a regular cabin you can sleep where ever, but not sure if this applies to Concierge. The rules are a little different for this area.

likely small kids won't be an issue, but usually the concierge cabin is the issue here, since there are extra perks you pay concierge prices for those folks to have, but if the ones are small enough to not be needing their own keys or whatever, it's probably NBD. of course all the usual stuff about muster stations and the on/off forms have to be attended to if the kids are cruising "with grandparents" (not in your cabin).

Just wanted to let you know this information so you won't be disappointed once you board.

Also things for concierge like the special character meet and greets only the people registered in the concierge cabin will be able to attend.

I don't believe DCL will actually officially "move" the kids into your stateroom via computer; they'll remain listed on the grandparents' stateroom. You may certainly have them sleep wherever you choose.

As mentioned, your situation has the added complication of concierge vs regular stateroom; the children will NOT be eligible for any concierge services/perks -- use of the lounge and sundeck and refreshments offered there, special concierge character meet and greets or other invitation events, possibly assistance with childcare reservations, etc. They would need to be paying the higher concierge fare to be included for those. However, the kids and the grandparents are welcome to spend as much time in your stateroom as you'd like. Since the kids are officially booked into the grandparents' stateroom, you'll need to complete paperwork allowing you (the parents) to take them off the ship, and make sure their Nursery/Club registrations lists all adults. Also, it sounds like the kids are young enough to not need a room key, so that won't be an issue; but they will need to attend muster at their assigned station based on the grandparents' stateroom (as well as in the event of real emergency requiring report to a lifeboat station).

Enjoy your cruise!

Last edited:

I can't answer about moving rooms, but friends of ours were in a similar situation, large family trip with some in concierge and others in regular rooms, and some individual families split up to accommodate larger numbers of kids (putting a child or two in other rooms to not go over occupancy levels). Cruise staff was very strict on who could use concierge and who couldn't and they knew who was booked concierge and who wasn't. My friend (who wasn't booked concierge) said it caused some hurt feelings, since some kids (in the same families) were able to do some things that their siblings couldn't. If it will bother you that your kids won't even be able to come into the lounge, you may want to see if you can move them now, before you leave.

I hope this isn't one of this threads that lead to I didn't know because i read on the DIS about it. And the OP does actually know what they are doing. That and the tips to all concerned in the concierge areas will be upgraded to reflect the kids as part of their duties now and also remain for the grand parents?

I believe it is less complicated when you are switching between non-concierge cabins. Having others visit your suite is one thing....moving them in to sleep is another altogether. Would you not be obtaining snacks and drinks for your children from the Concierge Lounge ? The Concierge Hosts know exactly who and how many are booked and the Room Attendant will certainly realize that you have more than the scheduled number because he/she will be making beds and cleaning for an extra number of people, regardless of age. That is just wrong IMHO. I have seen the Concierge Hosts , always very politely but firmly, ask folks to leave (both in the Lounge and in the Cabana area at CC). Not only would my conscience not allow it but it would be so embarrassing. Trust me....the Concierge staff knows exactly who their paid guests are.

My sister and her family were in a concierge room on the magic in May 2014. We were in a regular verandah room. I guess this is not the typical experience but my sisters concierge (Angelique???) said there was no issue with us going to the concierge character meets (I believe we went to happy hour with them as well). And there was always an extra rice krispie treat or popcorn or stuffed animal for my daughter...even got a lithograph on the last day...so we felt like we were getting the concierge treatment. I don't know if she was just a really generous concierge host or my sister was extra pushy. Oh and my little one often slept in their room since it was so huge and she wanted to be with her cousin.

It's different in concierge on the classic ships since there is not a lounge (yet). My parents have had the connecting standard cabin to our 1 bedroom concierge cabin on the Magic and they were invited to attend the concierge reception (but they declined). On the Fantasy and the Dream it's a totally different set up and as the other posters have stated, they are very strict regarding use of the lounge, sundeck and other concierge-only areas. If you want your children to have those perks, you should move then to your cabin on the reservation and pay the additional fee.

My wife and I are booked in a 1 bedroom on the Fantasy for an upcoming cruise. We booked our kids in grandma and grandpas cabin because the pricing was ridiculous for children too young to take advantage of any of the concierge benefits.

Once onboard can we get them moved into our room? I thought I had read on the boards about someone doing something like this with their spouse. Where they actually move the individual into that stateroom in the computer, not just get an extra room key for them.

I would definitely move them to your room. The concierge perks are great for the kids! Mine really loved the Fantasy lounge, and adored spending time in there. The character meet and greets have invitations, and if your kids are not concierge guests, they will not receive them. You may find that you cannot move them to your cabin when you get onboard, if Concierge happens to be booked particularly full that sailing - once they hit the maximum for the lifeboats, that's it. I'd do it now.

No one has even fully brought up the muster stations. You are expected to go to the muster station assigned to your cabin. If they are different, the children would be expected to be at the muster station with grandma and grandpa NOT with you. If you're cool with that, wait and see. If you'd freak out about that, make the change now when you have more of a chance of getting them in.

FWIW, unless your kids don't do characters, don't like snacks and sodas, don't like coloring pages, and don't like getting attention lavished on them, I fail to see how they won't be able to take advantage of the perks. The only on-ship one I really see is that they wouldn't get the free alcohol you would. Other than that, there is PLENTY they get being concierge level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter