Moving Out of Disney Housing

nickie

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

Just had my phone interview last week and have a question about housing. If I get accepted for Fall Advantage, I would have to leave pretty soon. I know that Disney Housing is optional, but since it would soon I would probably opt in for Disney Housing. The reason being is that I already planned on moving down to FL to attend UCF. However, my boyfriend is finishing up with school, and I'm not sure if I want to live in an apartment by myself. But when he is done, he will move down to FL and I would like to live with him.

Can I live in Disney Housing for a couple months and move out to my own apartment? Would I have to live there for the full term of my internship?

Hi Everyone,

Just had my phone interview last week and have a question about housing. If I get accepted for Fall Advantage, I would have to leave pretty soon. I know that Disney Housing is optional, but since it would soon I would probably opt in for Disney Housing. The reason being is that I already planned on moving down to FL to attend UCF. However, my boyfriend is finishing up with school, and I'm not sure if I want to live in an apartment by myself. But when he is done, he will move down to FL and I would like to live with him.

Can I live in Disney Housing for a couple months and move out to my own apartment? Would I have to live there for the full term of my internship?

From what I understand once you sign the contract to live in the housing, you're obligated to live there the whole term. Or at least pay the rent the whole term.

Sounds like your priorities lie outside of the DCP. While not a bad thing, i wouldn't really recommend doing the program without giving it your full attention. Its outrageously easy to get termed, and you'll be far too busy to plan your future with your boyfriend. the DCP is a full time commitment, something i wouldn't recommend if you're looking to plan other things during the same time period.

Sounds like your priorities lie outside of the DCP. While not a bad thing, i wouldn't really recommend doing the program without giving it your full attention. Its outrageously easy to get termed, and you'll be far too busy to plan your future with your boyfriend. the DCP is a full time commitment, something i wouldn't recommend if you're looking to plan other things during the same time period.

I think that is a little harsh. THe OP is considering her options and just because she is looking ahead to the future (which would only be four/five months if she did just one program) is not a bad thing but rather shows she is good at planning. I can devote my full concentration on something while still working toward another future goal.

Liz

If you want to move out of company housing, you have to submit a request to the housing office at wdw.housing.yield.management@Disney.com. However, if you are moving out to move in with your BF, you will be denied. You can still move in with your BF, however, you will still be charged to live in housing. This is all based on the forms you sign at check-in. If I remember correctly, you can only be approved if you are moving in with an immediate family member (Spouse, Domestic Partner, Parents, Siblings, etc.).

If you want to live with your BF when he moves down, your best bet is to not opt for company housing (email housing office to request) before you arrive.

I agree, that is harsh. I know what my priorities are, thus why I am planning for the future as opposed to doing things carelessly. I was also planning based on my college education, in case you didn't read that.

Thank you for the responses everyone, I just wanted to know what my options where and trying to save myself some money. If it were a complicated process, which it sounds like it is, I was just going to commit to Disney Housing and my boyfriend can come down when my internship is over. Glad we are pretty flexible when it comes to when we should get our apartment. Just worried I won't be settled in time for spring semester at UCF!

I agree, that is harsh. I know what my priorities are, thus why I am planning for the future as opposed to doing things carelessly. I was also planning based on my college education, in case you didn't read that.

Thank you for the responses everyone, I just wanted to know what my options where and trying to save myself some money. If it were a complicated process, which it sounds like it is, I was just going to commit to Disney Housing and my boyfriend can come down when my internship is over. Glad we are pretty flexible when it comes to when we should get our apartment. Just worried I won't be settled in time for spring semester at UCF!

Pay them no mind. I understand completely. I'm moving down with my husband so I won't be living in the housing provided either. I've done the CP before and lived in housing and it was a great experience, but it's only one part of the program. And you still get to attend housing events. :)

Nice to know you can still attend the events! That was one of the things I was worried about, I wanted to be able to get the FULL experience!

Nice to know you can still attend the events! That was one of the things I was worried about, I wanted to be able to get the FULL experience!

One of my tumblr friends is living in off housing. I don't know her name on the disboards - but I bet she'll chime in. She said that she got an ID that will let her in to the events.

Sorry for coming across as particularly harsh. I always think its good to have an opposing opinion as well. Its always important to consider everything going down there. Personally, I can't imagine how difficult and different living out of Disney Housing would be. Even with your own vehicle, it can get complicated.

One thing to consider is the check in process at the housing complexes. the complexes are made to foster close relationships between CPs. living outside of housing would mean that every time you want to hang out, you have to go through the obnoxious check in process, which is often more trouble than its worth. Some of my best CP memories are walking over to a friend's apartment for an hour or so and relaxing every once and a while. :confused3

If you want to move out of company housing, you have to submit a request to the housing office at wdw.housing.yield.management@Disney.com. However, if you are moving out to move in with your BF, you will be denied. You can still move in with your BF, however, you will still be charged to live in housing. This is all based on the forms you sign at check-in. If I remember correctly, you can only be approved if you are moving in with an immediate family member (Spouse, Domestic Partner, Parents, Siblings, etc.).

Do you know this for a fact? My oldest daughter is going down in June but her younger sister already lives there. She lives with a roommate right now but her lease is up in August and she wants her sister to live with her. The plan was to have her sister move in with her in June and just use the den as a bedroom until they move in August. But now I wonder if it is possible to move into housing in June and then move in with her sister in August. Would we email recruiting with this question or the housing email listed above to ask?

Do you know this for a fact? My oldest daughter is going down in June but her younger sister already lives there. She lives with a roommate right now but her lease is up in August and she wants her sister to live with her. The plan was to have her sister move in with her in June and just use the den as a bedroom until they move in August. But now I wonder if it is possible to move into housing in June and then move in with her sister in August. Would we email recruiting with this question or the housing email listed above to ask?

To get get absolute confirmation, I recommend email-ing the address I posted above. That goes to the office that ultimately makes those decisions. I used to work in that office, granted that was 2 years ago but the policies may have changed.

During my CP I had friends who lived in housing with friends/boyfriends/girlfriends. And my friend currently down there for the CP lives in an apartment on her own - no roommates. It just has to be approved. It's a super easy process. You just e-mail: WDW.Housing.Yield.Management@Disney.Com
With your full name, candidate ID number, program dates, and the address of where you'll be living.

As for moving in to CP housing in June and then moving out, I've never heard of this being allowed just because you sign some paperwork when you check in and I'm pretty sure it's a contract for the whole term. That's something I would definitely e-mail them about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter