Moving to Melbourne, Florida

Haley R

DIS Veteran
I'm sorry, I know I had a post about moving to Orlando, but we got a little over our heads with that one. They flew Dh down for an interview within a week so we thought it was a for sure thing, but they went with someone who already had security clearance. Dh did just get an offer today though for a job in Melbourne!!!

We started looking at areas and it looks like Viera and Rockledge are nice areas. I'm looking for any advice/tips for that area. We looked at schools and both Viera and Rockledge have very nice schools (I'm a teacher). We'll take any tips. Thanks!!!

Sorry, I don't know anything about living in the Melbourne area, but I'd take that over living in the Orlando every time. Then again, we're beach people. Congrats to your DH on the offer. I think you'll like the area.

Sorry, I don't know anything about living in the Melbourne area, but I'd take that over living in the Orlando every time. Then again, we're beach people. Congrats to your DH on the offer. I think you'll like the area.
Thank you! He's very excited and I hope everything works out for us to move. We had beautiful weather here today, but are expecting snow on Friday and I just can't take it anymore lol. Plus, it's a job Dh would actually enjoy.

Thank you! He's very excited and I hope everything works out for us to move. We had beautiful weather here today, but are expecting snow on Friday and I just can't take it anymore lol. Plus, it's a job Dh would actually enjoy.

Good luck to both of you. We moved to Florida 22 years ago & have never regretted it.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of Florida do you live in?

We lived in the Tampa area for 17 years. We chose Tampa in a crazy, random way, but I loved living there. DH was transferred 5 years ago. We now live between Ft. Lauderdale & Miami.

Last edited:
We lived in the Tampa area for 17 years. We chose Tampa is a crazy, random way, but I loved living there. DH was transferred 5 years ago. We now live between Ft. Lauderdale & Miami.
Nice! My brother used to live in Pensacola because he’s in the navy but they aren’t in Florida anymore

I'm sorry, I know I had a post about moving to Orlando, but we got a little over our heads with that one. They flew Dh down for an interview within a week so we thought it was a for sure thing, but they went with someone who already had security clearance. Dh did just get an offer today though for a job in Melbourne!!!

We started looking at areas and it looks like Viera and Rockledge are nice areas. I'm looking for any advice/tips for that area. We looked at schools and both Viera and Rockledge have very nice schools (I'm a teacher). We'll take any tips. Thanks!!!
You can’t know it now but you lucked out it wasn’t the area you originally thought.

I am by no means an expert on this, but my wife's parents just moved to Melbourne 6 months ago, and I can tell you that they are loving it there. They moved specifically to West Melbourne, I think because they got newer construction there.
Viera seems very nice, but they told me that when they looked there, the houses were pricier per square foot than surrounding areas. This could help lead to better schools there, though.
The only useful advice I can contribute with is to enjoy the weather there, especially next winter! Congrats to your husband on the job offer.

We use to live in Pensacola toooooo... its really a small world...Go Navy... and love the Blue Angels...
My brother flies jets and actually has his winging hopefully at the end of May! Then he’ll find out where they’re moving next.

Well we are OFFICIALLY moving to Melbourne!! Dh accepted their offer today! We've started looking at housing and I think we want to be in the Viera/Suntree areas. I see Satellite Beach pop up as a place to live, but I'm not too interested in living on the island.

Last edited:
Well we are OFFICIALLY moving to Melbourne!! Dh accepted their offer today! We've started looking at housing and I think we want to be in the Rockledge/Viera areas. I see Satellite Beach pop up as a place to live, but I'm not too interested in living on the island.

I think you're making the right call there. From my experience on Satellite Beach, somewhere around 7 different trips, it's a nice place full of condos and hotels on the beach, but dining options are limited. We always ended up driving to Cocoa Beach to go out to eat. Melbourne and Viera (I can't speak to Rockledge) just feel more like complete communities to me.

Howdy new neighbor!! :wave:

I live in Melbourne (been here just over 40 years) and I would recommend North Melbourne (north of EFSC) and Viera as places to live. Nicer neighborhoods, better shopping and dining. Avoid beachside, insurance (IF you can get it) is insane and so are the housing prices.

Congratulations! My parents spent the winter this year in Melbourne, in a condo on E New Haven, in what I believe is considered downtown Melbourne. They loved everything about this area. They walked everywhere all winter, and I think they probably tried every restaurant and stepped in every store and they have no complaints. They miss it!

Congrats! I am jealous - we are just beginning our journey. Looking at Melbourne as 1 of 3 options! Seems like the most jobs are in that area, too!

I've only been to Melbourne a couple of times. My daughter's best friend lived there for a long time and she liked it. Sadly, when I think of Melbourne, I think of I-95. We refer to it as the highway of death. I hate I-95 much more than I hate I-4 and that's saying a lot. lol.

I think you're making the right call there. From my experience on Satellite Beach, somewhere around 7 different trips, it's a nice place full of condos and hotels on the beach, but dining options are limited. We always ended up driving to Cocoa Beach to go out to eat. Melbourne and Viera (I can't speak to Rockledge) just feel more like complete communities to me.
Thanks for the info! We’re coming from a smaller town so I really need that community feel and I think northern Melbourne might offer that for us.

Howdy new neighbor!! :wave:

I live in Melbourne (been here just over 40 years) and I would recommend North Melbourne (north of EFSC) and Viera as places to live. Nicer neighborhoods, better shopping and dining. Avoid beachside, insurance (IF you can get it) is insane and so are the housing prices.
Yay! I’m glad we found someone who lives there. You’ll know a lot more about the area than what we can get from the interweb lol. I would prefer to be slightly more inland. I know it won’t help much with storms but it’s better than being right on the coast.

What do you love most about Melbourne?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter