• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Moving To Orlando

We live in Tampa. I love Florida in terms of the weather and some of the history, and of course the beaches and WDW, but the type of people (some, of course, not all....but I do feel it's the majority) WOOOOOO it takes so me getting used to. If you were raised with standards, morals, manners and ethic, it will take getting used to....lol

I found a place with a 1 bedroom for 629 a month supposed to be close to Disney World and that includes Water Sewer and pest control. What do you think is it legit?

Of course it could be. There are many cheap places to live in Florida, does not mean it's a good area. DH and I checked out around Orlando prior to moving to Tampa, and honestly, we found that most we could afford was not where we want to live. We are in service industry and do not make a ton of money, so are not in market to purchase a home at this time.

Like I said, there is plenty of good deals like that, but I would check it out in person 100% (We heard Clermont is nice and there was a Clermont apartment we saw online. Pics looked find, price was right. Checked it out and literally outside the buildings there were about a dozen men scattered around that all looked like pedophiles, smoking, staring at our car creepily as we drove by, etc --it was insane the mistake we could've made had we not checked it out!)

For what it's worth, we live in Kissimmee, off the OBT, not far from Poinciana Blvd, and it's lovely, with no crime. I know there are tough parts of Kissimmee but only 4% of it is populated by people! Give us a break! The traffic is ridiculous...we double whatever the GPS predicts...but it's very safe and comfortable.

For what it's worth, we live in Kissimmee, off the OBT, not far from Poinciana Blvd, and it's lovely, with no crime. I know there are tough parts of Kissimmee but only 4% of it is populated by people! Give us a break! The traffic is ridiculous...we double whatever the GPS predicts...but it's very safe and comfortable.

Hi have you heard of Alabco Key Apartments they give Cm discounts,

I found a place with a 1 bedroom for 629 a month supposed to be close to Disney World and that includes Water Sewer and pest control. What do you think is it legit?

"Close" to Disney is pretty meaningless. Do you know the exact neighborhood?

Only places I could see this maybe being worth it would be Cagan Crossing (on the south side of Clermont) or one of the small mother-in-law apartments over a garage in Celebration. But more likely it's not that close to WDW.

I leave to start my new job at WDW on the 25th! If anyone is looking for a newbie to talk, hang out with, and maybe room with down the road, let me know :-)

I am now ready to move South. Hopefully, no more winters for me.:yay: I decided to take early retirement,I keep seeing too many Boomers dying in their 50's and 60's. So on a lark, I checked the Disney Career site, and found a job listing that interested me. I have heard enough to know that it is difficult to get a job at Disney, especially if you're from out of state, but figured what the heck.

I filled out the application, got the response that it could up to 5 days, yeah right, to hear from them. Lo and behold, within an hour I got an email that they wanted me to do an online interview. OK, I did it and got an immediate response that they wanted me to do an actual interview, and to set up an appointment for my interview.I fly down next week for the interview, and will be using my step-granddaughters local address, as I won't have a place until I get the job.

Does anyone know what is their interview like? I plan on bringing my entire resume, as they only asked for the last 7 years. My background hotel & travel agency management.

Wish me luck!!

Sherry

Does anyone know what is their interview like? I plan on bringing my entire resume, as they only asked for the last 7 years. My background hotel & travel agency management.
First off...good luck to you on the interview and move to Orlando! :thumbsup2

I can tell you about my Disney interview experience. I interviewed for a reservations/sales agent (I don't remember the official title) at the call center on Carrier Drive off Kirkman Road. After a phone interview, they wanted me to come in person to the center. I waited with several other people who were also waiting to interview. I waited for about 20 minutes and then they called me back. I spoke with one lady who wanted to know general stuff about me...interests and hobbies...that sort of thing. Nothing about past job experience. Then she took me to another person who wanted to hear about my past job experience. Next I went into a room where they were testing people with phone experiences and different scenarios. After a brief training session, they tested you by doing an online test that was supposed to take an hour. I finished my test in about 35 minutes...it wasn't that difficult. The instructor seemed surprised I finished as fast as I did but I answered every question carefully and thoroughly.

Then I was asked to wait in an office for someone from HR so they could talk to me. This was after being shown around the building. Lastly I was interviewed by a lady from HR who went over the job, hours and pay. She wanted me to move up to the advanced sales position since I had visited so many times as a kid. She basically told me I would have to work any shift from 7am to 11pm...any night and since I was new, most likely weekends and holidsays as well...which was OK...I was just looking for something to get my foot in the door. But when she mentioned the pay rate, I was shocked. They told me a completely different rate on the phone interview which was higher and the job was below the one I was talking about. She told me $8.50/hour was a lot of money and I told her no...it wasn't. Would she work for $8.50/hour?

Any hoo...I told her thank you and left. I've never applied for another Disney job since then and probably never will again.

I've had my current job for 7.5 years and don't miss that "opportunity" at all. If you're doing it just for fun, then you will be fine. But if you need to make a certain amount of money, Disney is probably not the way to go.

I filled out the application, got the response that it could up to 5 days, yeah right, to hear from them. Lo and behold, within an hour I got an email that they wanted me to do an online interview. OK, I did it and got an immediate response that they wanted me to do an actual interview, and to set up an appointment for my interview.I fly down next week for the interview, and will be using my step-granddaughters local address, as I won't have a place until I get the job.

Wish me luck!!

Sherry

Best of luck :thumbsup2

I did an in-person interview in Jan for a position that I found on the Dis Career online site, didn't get that job but I am on the wait list for another position popcorn::

One thing I can tell you is to have an idea for a second and third Disney job you might like, they will ask you this...

I was also asked in the middle of a conversation about my old job "What is my favorite Disney Park and why..." omg .. I wanted to say all of them but had to choose one in a split second and explain why I loved it, that made me nervous for some reason

Oh.. SMILE like you just won the lottery !!!

What about Clermont? A realtor I spoke with last week described Clermont as a long city and said that there is a part of Clermont that is near Disney but is followed by a large bunch of orange groves before the city picks up again about 30 minutes later. Anyone have more information?

I lived on 27 in Clermont off of 192 back in the late 90's. It was gorgeous.. Country feeling... All orange groves and a couple of housing and apartments complexes before you hit 50 and it took me 15 minutes to get to the Studios...That was when I left the state... When I went back a couple of years ago.. It was a mini 192... Totally bult up....
Traffic is something you will just have to deal with.. And NO ONE lived alone... We couldn't afford it

First off...good luck to you on the interview and move to Orlando! :thumbsup2

I can tell you about my Disney interview experience. I interviewed for a reservations/sales agent (I don't remember the official title) at the call center on Carrier Drive off Kirkman Road. After a phone interview, they wanted me to come in person to the center. I waited with several other people who were also waiting to interview. I waited for about 20 minutes and then they called me back. I spoke with one lady who wanted to know general stuff about me...interests and hobbies...that sort of thing. Nothing about past job experience. Then she took me to another person who wanted to hear about my past job experience. Next I went into a room where they were testing people with phone experiences and different scenarios. After a brief training session, they tested you by doing an online test that was supposed to take an hour. I finished my test in about 35 minutes...it wasn't that difficult. The instructor seemed surprised I finished as fast as I did but I answered every question carefully and thoroughly.

Then I was asked to wait in an office for someone from HR so they could talk to me. This was after being shown around the building. Lastly I was interviewed by a lady from HR who went over the job, hours and pay. She wanted me to move up to the advanced sales position since I had visited so many times as a kid. She basically told me I would have to work any shift from 7am to 11pm...any night and since I was new, most likely weekends and holidsays as well...which was OK...I was just looking for something to get my foot in the door. But when she mentioned the pay rate, I was shocked. They told me a completely different rate on the phone interview which was higher and the job was below the one I was talking about. She told me $8.50/hour was a lot of money and I told her no...it wasn't. Would she work for $8.50/hour?

Any hoo...I told her thank you and left. I've never applied for another Disney job since then and probably never will again.

I've had my current job for 7.5 years and don't miss that "opportunity" at all. If you're doing it just for fun, then you will be fine. But if you need to make a certain amount of money, Disney is probably not the way to go.

I understand your point of view, and I am happy that you found another job that is more your cup of tea. Even though I had a very congenial interview for a job at another company yesterday, I would like to get off of medical leave and return to Disney. But I will be doing so as a person with A.D.A.-recognized disabilities so I will get to continue my days as a productive citizen while Disney gets the tax incentives to keep me on payroll. I can live with that. I just don't want to go on disabilitiy payments when I could be working with medical accommodation.

Those who are looking for career-oriented jobs would do well to heed your advice before relocating here at their own expense because such jobs are in low suppy and in high demand in the tourism industry.

For those who are interested:

I was in Orlando last weekend and found a great place in Altamonte Springs. The ones I could afford in Orlando/Kissimmee weren't that nice after an up close view. As people have said, it is expensive to live/move there and I am thankful to be able to make it work.
This time next week hopefully I'll be done moving boxes into my third floor( ugh!) place and be setting things up and "nesting". I can't wait!

Hope to have a FL AP by summer.

I give all of you a huge pat on the back for pulling up and moving close to disney!

If I was sure I be able to use my degree I would probly look into it more.

I was in Orlando last weekend and found a great place in Altamonte Springs. The ones I could afford in Orlando/Kissimmee weren't that nice after an up close view. As people have said, it is expensive to live/move there and I am thankful to be able to make it work.
This time next week hopefully I'll be done moving boxes into my third floor( ugh!) place and be setting things up and "nesting". I can't wait!

Hope to have a FL AP by summer.
Congrats and good luck with the move! :cool2:

I give all of you a huge pat on the back for pulling up and moving close to disney!

If I was sure I be able to use my degree I would probly look into it more.
I didn't move here to be closer to Disney but it is a perk to be close. Still...I haven't been to the Disney parks in two years and don't know when I will once again venture on property.

Congrats and good luck with the move! :cool2:

I didn't move here to be closer to Disney but it is a perk to be close. Still...I haven't been to the Disney parks in two years and don't know when I will once again venture on property.

That seems to be typical of the people in my neighborhood unless we work for Disney, which technically I still do. In reality I do not because I am on an unpaid medical leave. Since I will need to return to work in a wheelchair while almost all of the jobs at Disney World require standing all day, I am going to have to accept the heartbreaking fact that they are not going to let me return to work and move on soon since I cannot continue without a paycheck. It sure makes me sad though because I loved going to the Disney parks before my shifts just to talk to the guests about what they were planning to see, how much they had like what they had already seen, and then making my suggestions based upon what they had told me about their current and prior Disney trips. It was fun for me to chat up anyone taking a break on a bench and photograph them with their big ole turkey legs and tell them where to find the best stuff to take home to the grandchildren or whoever. The guests seemed to enjoy it too.

I have applied at City Hall as a candidate for an Orlando City Board and am hopeful that the mayor will appoint me. I could get back the guest relations aspect that I still regret losing at Disney because it would allow me to make decisions regarding the tourist trade in Orange County. Maybe my application to the tourist bureau will be approved too as I gave that a try this morning. Wish me luck. While my heart does still ache for Disney, I know that there is more to Orlando than the theme parks and will appreciate the opportunity to educate tourists about the other great attractions here that I have learned about during my time off.

We actually received our address a couple days back. I'm considering going ahead and ordering our AP vouchers now that I have a Florida Residency. I've got all the way through to the payment screen that way. Is there a reason I shouldn't go ahead and do that?

I'm considering getting 2 APs. One for me, and one for my wife. I'll probably make one a pay monthly and just buy the other outright. With the pay monthly, I assume you would begin paying as soon as you make the order, yes? And if I got them online, they are vouchers that don't start the clock until you exchange them for the actual APs, correct? Just want to get all my information straight before doing that.

If you pay monthly. A payment equaling a one-day ticket of the down payment. Then, within 24 hours your first payment will e auto-debited. Then your payments will be one the day your first signed up for the next 11 months

And yes. They aren't active until you exchange them at Guest Services

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter