Mrs. Darling's June 2010 Accidental PTR: Pirates and Harry Potter 6/30 TR Link posted

dismagiclover

Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael
:welcome:
I've done a couple of trip reports, but this is my first attempt at a pre-trippie. I'm just too excited to keep quiet about my plans and now that the trip is less than 3 months away I decided to try the pre-trippie thing. If you aren't familiar with any of my previous adventures you can check them out by clicking on the dates in my siggy for my previous 2 trips. So to start out I'll give you the W's for the upcoming trip.

Who: The Darling Family which consists of Mrs. Darling (friends call me Jenny), DH (who magically transforms into Peter Pan at Disney World), Wendy who will be 10 for this trip, John who will be 8 for this trip, and Michael who is 5. Here is the family photo.

Image269.jpg

What: A Family Vacation of sorts. This trip came into being because my parents take their grandchildren on a 10 year old trip. Last summer Wendy and my niece came up with the idea of making the trip a Disney Cruise and my parents agreed. That meant I had to get Wendy down to Florida. I could have put her on a plane, but where is the fun in that? So I came up with the idea to drive her down and spend a few days at Disney World with the boys while she did the cruise. DH saw right through my sneakiness, but he loves me so he agreed:love: He then came up with the idea of flying down and spending a few days at Universal which extended the trip and made me happy:goodvibes So this trip just kind of came together "on accident";)

Where: Most of the trip we will be staying at Old Key West in a studio. The last few days we will be staying at Royal Pacific Resort at Orlando Studios.

When: June 16-June 28

So come along for the ride if you like. I don't know how this PTR will turn out, but hopefully it's an adventure!:goodvibes

The Basic Plan
Disney Memories: Trip 1
ADRs
Plans for Days 1 and 2
Our GAD service
Disney Memories: Trip 2
Auto Train???
Day 3
Our Pin Trading Lot
Kid's 1st Training Run
Disney Memories: Trip 3
Day 4
Harmony Barbershop?
Day 5
Disney Memories Trip 4: Part I
2 Month Mark and Disney Memories Trip 4: Part II
Day 6
Animal Kingdom PM EMH?
A Planning Snag and More Disney Memories
Last of Disney Memories Trip 4
Day 7
Plans for October ADRs
Disneyland Paris Memories
Day 8 and October ADR results
Rethinking my Day 8 morning
Darling Family Memories from June 2009 Part I
Day 9
Darling Family Memories from June 2009 Part II
Darling Family Memories from June 2009 Part III
Day 10 and 1 Month Dance
Memories of January 2010 trip
Days 11, 12, 13
Spotlight on Michael
Spotlight on John
Spotlight on Wendy
Top 10 Disney Moments
One Week From Today Game (Part I)
Trip Report Link

So here is the basic plan as of now.

Wednesday: Me and the kids leave at the crack of dawn. We are driving to Orlando from Maryland:scared1: I really couldn't justify the cost of flying since this is an "accidental" trip. It will be our first attempt at driving and I hope it goes OK. One huge downside is that Michael gets carsick. :sick: We're all pretty used to it, but it could add time to the drive. I'm hoping we make it to south GA this day.

Thursday: Arrive and check into Old Key West:cool1: Never even stepped foot on this resort so hopefully we like it. Thinking of heading to Downtown Disney while we wait for our room to be ready.

Friday: EMH at Hollywood Studios. Our fist EMH morning. We'll see how it goes. I have to take Wendy to the port late morning/ early afternoon. Then the boys and I will come back and relax at the resort.

Saturday: Magic Kingdom Day:yay: I have the Pirate's League booked for all 3 of us this afternoon. Really looking forward to this.

Sunday: A relaxing day at the resort though I'm planning on heading to Epcot for dinner.

Monday: Epcot Day

Tuesday: Animal Kingdom Day. Sometime this day we'll meet my parents and get Wendy back. I can't wait to hear her cruise report! This afternoon I'm hoping to hop over to Hollywood Studios and meet lots of characters at the Animation Building

Wednesday: Pirate Albatross Cruise for the kids. Lunch in the World Showcase and evening at Magic Kingdom.

Thursday: Relaxing morning. Check out of OKW and pick up DH at the airport. Check into Royal Pacific at Universal and go to Universal Studios.

Friday: Bright and early at Islands of Adventure to check out Harry Potter:banana:

Saturday: Check out of hotel and spend half day at Universal. Then drive to Hilton Head for a couple of nights. (Unfortunately we're not staying at the Disney property.)

Sunday: Spend the day on the Beach.

Monday: Finish up the drive home.

So these are the basic plans. If anyone ever mozys over here let me know what you think.

I'm doing a quick fly-by to say hello and will read up when I have more time! Thanks for reaching out to me!!!

Amanda

Ok all caught up and am loving your plans. They sound really exciting. :goodvibes

How cool that Wendy gets to go on a Cruise, but even cooler that you got away with your "accidental" trip with the boys :thumbsup2 The Pirate League sounds like it is going to be lots of fun for you guys too.

Awesome that you are also staying around US too, I have heard that the Royal Pacific is quite a nice hotel :wizard:

Ok all caught up and am loving your plans. They sound really exciting. :goodvibes

How cool that Wendy gets to go on a Cruise, but even cooler that you got away with your "accidental" trip with the boys :thumbsup2 The Pirate League sounds like it is going to be lots of fun for you guys too.

Awesome that you are also staying around US too, I have heard that the Royal Pacific is quite a nice hotel :wizard:

Thanks for coming over! Always great to see old friends:goodvibes This "accidental" trip has morphed into quite an adventure, but apparently I can't do Disney part way;) I'm excited about US, but am anticipating craziness because of the Harry Potter crowds:eek:

Well it looks like it might open around April, or have soft openings (sorry am not too sure) so it might not be too bad crowd wise.

So what is the Pirate League?

So I'm going to give you my Disney History from the very beginning. Sorry I don’t have pictues until 2004 when we entered the digital age.

1. 3 trips to Disneyland before I turned 9 years old. Don't remember much from those.

2. Next Disney trip was to what was then EuroDisney just months after it opened when I was 20. (I was doing a Study Abroad.) I remember the park being empty. We could stay on any ride for as long as we wanted because there were literally no lines. It took Disney a while to catch on in Europe:confused3 Too bad I don’t have digital pictures of this trip. You could all see my in my young and beautiful days!:rotfl:

3. We get to the good stuff. In 2004 we went to Disneyland for 1 day with a 4 year old Wendy, a 2 year old John, and a negative 2 month old Michael (I was 7 months pregnant.) My parents came along as well. The best hour I've ever spent in Disney might have been this trip. The park opened at 8:00 and there were only a couple hundred people (if that) waiting to get in. We hightailed to Dumbo and they fired it up for us and we had our own private ride. This was the highlight of the day for John whose favorite movie at the time was Dumbo. There wasn't a line so we stayed on for another ride:woohoo: Can you believe that? Would never happen in Florida.

004_4.jpg

We had been on every ride in Fantasyland by 8:45. Wendy was way into Princesses at this point so we asked the CM where we could find them. She mentioned they should be coming out shortly before 9:00 by IASW. We headed over that way (IASW in Disneyland is in a different spot than Florida). Just as we walked up out walked two lovely ladies and no one else was around. Wendy went right up and introduced herself and both princesses were pleased to meet her. Then one of my favorite Disney moments occurred. Cinderella spotted John. She bent down and held out her arms. And what did 2 year old John do? He ran right into them.

cinderllahug.jpg

Next thing we knew 2 more lovely ladies appeared and Wendy was introduced to them as well. We got this once in a lifetime shot.

007_7.jpg

And then the clock struck 9:00. It was a great hour and hasn’t been topped since.:cloud9: I swear that Disney Magic is like crack. You do it once and there is no looking back.:lmao: Here are a few picture highlights from the rest of the day.

Wendy’s first time meeting Minnie (the beginning of a beautiful friendship that has endured longer than the Princesses.):laughing:

bellaminnie.jpg

Here I am with the kids and Tigger. This is evidence that Michael was there (in utero.):rolleyes1

012_12.jpg

Another great story goes with this next picture. It was around noon and we decided to head to a Storytime with Belle. We arrived and all sat through the storytime and afterwards the kids lined up to meet Belle. Wendy was about third or so in line and went up. The first words out of Belle’s mouth were “Why hello Wendy. How nice to see you again.” The jaws of 4 adults (DH, me and my parents) dropped to the floor. We couldn’t believe she not only remembered Wendy she remembered her name! Wendy didn’t find it strange at all. After all they had already met.

bellabelle.jpg

A few last pictures of our lunch at Goofy’s Kitchen. Fun restaurant with lots of great characters. Alice had an adorable accent and John didn’t quite know what to think.:cutie:

017_17.jpg

When Jasmine arrived John asked her “Where is the boy one?” Jasmine took him by the hand and led him over to Aladdin saying, “Aladdin. I want you to meet someone special. This is Prince John.” Pretty adorable.

018_18.jpg

So those are the not so brief highlights of the Darling Family’s first Disney experience.:goodvibes

YAY!! You started a PTR!!:yay: I can't wait to read about all your planning!!:goodvibes It looks great so far!!;) How wonderful that your DH is going to be able to join you later in the week!

Can't wait to read more!popcorn::

Well it looks like it might open around April, or have soft openings (sorry am not too sure) so it might not be too bad crowd wise.

So what is the Pirate League?

They are currently talking soft openings around mid April, but I still anticipate the crowds will be crazy. The Pirate's League is the boys version of Bippity Bobbity Boutique. They do our pirate makeup and then give us a secret pirate code and we are inducted into the Captain Jack's crew. It looks like tons of fun and they actually just lowered the price:cool1: I guess people won't pay as much to dress up as Pirates as they will to dress up as Princesses:confused3

YAY!! You started a PTR!!:yay: I can't wait to read about all your planning!!:goodvibes It looks great so far!!;) How wonderful that your DH is going to be able to join you later in the week!

Can't wait to read more!popcorn::

You made it over:cool1: I was suprised when DH came up with the Universal idea, but I thought it was great! I like any idea that prolongs a vacation:goodvibes

They are currently talking soft openings around mid April, but I still anticipate the crowds will be crazy. The Pirate's League is the boys version of Bippity Bobbity Boutique. They do our pirate makeup and then give us a secret pirate code and we are inducted into the Captain Jack's crew. It looks like tons of fun and they actually just lowered the price:cool1: I guess people won't pay as much to dress up as Pirates as they will to dress up as Princesses:confused3

Oh right, sounds like fun and you will get some great pictures/memories from it :thumbsup2 Do you also get to meet Capn' Jack?

Loving the flashback photos. How awesome is that picture of Wendy and the Princesses, you don't see that every day. Must have been really special and even more special that Belle remembered Wendy too :cutie:

Oh right, sounds like fun and you will get some great pictures/memories from it :thumbsup2 Do you also get to meet Capn' Jack?

Captain Jack doesn't come to the Pirate's League (at least not on a regular basis.) I'm trying to time it so we finish shortly before the Pirate Tutorial and then we can see Captain Jack there.:cool1:

Ooh yes that sounds good :) I wish they would do Meet and Greets with him, is my goal to get a PP pic with him :cloud9:

I love "accidental" trip reports! :goodvibes I wish that I could have one.

I'm super jealous of your trip to Harry Potter since I haven't yet convinced my DH that it's mandatory! :rotfl2:

Amanda

I love "accidental" trip reports! :goodvibes I wish that I could have one.
:welcome: I think everyone should try an "accidental" trip sometime! By they way how is the IT band doing?:hug:

I'm super jealous of your trip to Harry Potter since I haven't yet convinced my DH that it's mandatory! :rotfl2:

Amanda
Hopefully I'll come back with a glowing report you can use to help convince him to head over in August (or I could come back with horrific memory of insane crowds that will scare him away forever.):laughing:

Ooh yes that sounds good :) I wish they would do Meet and Greets with him, is my goal to get a PP pic with him :cloud9:
They used to do PP pictures with him in the days of the Pirate and Princess party, but alas that is no more:sad2:. I did meet him in January, but I had to run 13.1 miles to do it;)
DSC01252.jpg

I remember that and remember thinking "Lucky so and so" :laughing:

So here are my current ADR's. These have changed tons of times, but I feel good about the current plans so we may just stick with it. We are on the regular dining plan and if we keep all these ADRs we'll have to pay for the last 2 OOP, but I'm OK with that. Most of these places are new to us. I wanted to try new places on this trip. So here they are . . .

Thursday (arrival day): Ohana dinner. This seems to be a place people either love or hate. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on it.

Friday: 1900 Park Fare Dinner. We had Garden Grill this night for a long time, but we've been there the last 2 trips and I wanted to try something new. Lots of bad food reviews, but everyone loves the step sisters so I figure we'll give it a try. Any opinions?

Saturday: Crystal Palace Lunch. We've been here before, but only for breakfast. So this is kind of like trying something new. Both boys requested it.

Sunday: Ohana Breakfast. Really looking forward to this. Love the pre plated thing so I don't have to haul the boys to the buffet. Plus the boys will love the characters (especially Stitch.)
Coral Reef Dinner. Another one that gets mixed reviews. I figure the boys will like the setting. Any opinions on this?

Monday: Olivia's Dinner. This is at our resort and many say it is a hidden gem so we shall see.

Tuesday: Donald's Safari Breakfast. We've done this one before and enjoyed it. I think the characters are so cute in their Safari outfits.:cutie: This is the most likely to get dropped, but I love the juice they serve so we shall see.
50's Primetime Dinner. This looks like fun. Anyone have thoughts on it?

Wednesday: The Plaza. Wendy and I have been here before and we love it. In fact, this was the place she requested. Simple but tasty food and a great view of the Castle. What more do you need?

So give me all of your thought and opinions. I'd love to hear them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter