multiple questions

midkan4

Earning My Ears
I am planning a trip this June for my family. My 16 year old son is visually/hearing and severely mentally/physically disabled requiring a w/c. I am arranging for my husband, other son 17 years old, and daycare provider to go to disney world for at least one week. This is our first trip with our disabled son, but he is an adventurous sort.
What suggestions do you have in general?
Specifically, what park hotels in the moderate range would best suit our needs (for 5 adults)?
Would we be better off making reservations for everything, including meals, transportation, hotel, etc?
Since we are paying for the daycare provider, what discounts would be available in June?
Are there facilities to change a diaper for an "adult"?
I'm sure I will have more questions to come, but thanks for any information you can provide.
Kristi

Welcome to disABILITIES!:wave2:
What suggestions do you have in general?
First, here's a link for you to the disabilities FAQs page from the official Disney site. They have information about things like whether a wheelchair can be loaded right onto a ride or not.
Other than that, a lot depends on what limitations your son has - like is he able to get out of the wheelchair (either walk a few steps or be lifted)? What sorts of things does he enjoy? Not enjoy?
Specifically, what park hotels in the moderate range would best suit our needs (for 5 adults)?
I'm sure you will get some suggestions from DIS posters.
Here's the phone number for WDW Resort Special Reservations:
(407) 939-7807
(407) 939-7670 [TTY]
They can help with specific information and making your reservations.
All the resorts have wheelchair accessible rooms with roll in shower. You can request an accessible room with a connecting room that way (if you open the connecting door) you would have one large space for your group to stay in.
Another possibility would be a DVC villa. The one bedroom units have a living room (with a sleeper sofa), a kitchen, laundry facilities in the room. The only problem for your group would be sleeping arrangements, since besides the sofa bed, there is only a king bed in the master bedroom. A two bedroom unit would give you all that, plus a second bathrrom and a 2nd bedroom with either 2 queen beds (at OKW) or a queen bed and queen sleeper sofa. Renting thru a DVC member (you can get more info on the DVC Boards) is less expensive than going thru Disney. You may find though that the extra cost is worth it to have the extra space, kitchen and laundry in the room.
Would we be better off making reservations for everything, including meals, transportation, hotel, etc?
if you are asking about packages, they are usually more expensive than buying the "pieces" separately, but some people prefer them because it's easier. A travelagency (like Dreams Unlimited, the affiliate of this site) can help you make arrangements if you want more help.
Since we are paying for the daycare provider, what discounts would be available in June?
I'm not the expert on that, but I do know that there are no discounts for disabilities.
Are there facilities to change a diaper for an "adult"?
if he needs to lie down, your best bet is First Aid. There is one in each park and they have padded, vinyl covered, bed height cots. Those are in cubicles with privacy curtains. If he can stand up, there are Companion Restrooms in each park (basically large single stall bathrooms tha you can pull a wheelchair into). Theose have stainless steel changing "shelves", but they are about waist height for me (5'7") and (my best guess) is that they are about 4 feet long.

Whoops, I forgot that you said you have a total of 5 people.
If you did DVC, you would need a 2 bedroom (which sleeps up to 8) rather than a one bedroom (which sleeps only up to 4).

SueM,
Thanks for the clear and concise information. It will be very helpful. We haven't been to Disney World for 10 years and know several things have changed. And taking a disabled son will be quite a challenge for us I'm sure.
I noticed from reading the board that many others with disabled family members have experiences concerning Disney World. I would appreciate any input they could offer related to their experiences, both good and bad, so we know what to avoid or what to see/do.
My son is able to be lifted into rides and can stand or walk 2-3 steps with assistance only. We have taken him to other amusement parks and he loves the motion of the rides which is why we think he will love DW.
I am curious about "making reservations for everything, including meals, transportation, hotel, etc?" in relation to time of wait. As long as my son is in motion he is fine, but if sits still in his w/c for too long (5 min) he becomes quite agitated and I would like to avoid long waits if possible. If I recall correctly when we last were there we could make restaurant reservations in advance. Is this still an option? And the fast pass tickets - how soon in advance can those be reserved?
"what discounts would be available in June?" - sorry, I wasn't too clear here - when I arranged our last visit it was suggested that I purchase stock in Disney for a discounted trip, which we did and saved 10%. Is this still in effect? Does American Express still offer a discount if the trip is paid on their credit card? Also, I am a nurse and my husband is in education - I noticed the hotel discounts on the home page, but are professional discounts available throughout the park/at other hotels, etc.? And what discounts do I need to look into in advance?
Sorry for all the questions. But thanks in advance :-)
Kristi

There is a nurse discount at the Dolphin and Swan. There are only a certain number of rooms allotted for this. If you can swing the price of a 2 bdrm villa it would be great for your group. We have stayed in them often and love the kitchen and washer and dryer.

American Express does not offer packages any more. Visa is the "offical" card of Disney now.

You can make what Disney calls a "Perferred Seating" ( PS for short for dining). You arrive at your PS time and are seated at the next table. Be aware you often have to wait as they are not holding a table like a regular reservation.

Hopes this helps a bit!:sunny:

I understand your challenge, as my husband is in a wheelchair. Cast members are more help than you can even imagine. My husband can't stand or transfer himself, so they offered help on the few rides that needed a transfer. The ones such as Haunted Mansion in which the cars go continuously on the track, they stopped the ride and when I got frustrated thinking people would get mad because the ride stopped, they helped out however they could and reassured us that it would be fine. We got a package and had a wheelchair room with a queen bed abd a roll-in shower. Since there were 4 of us, we also got a connecting room with 2 double beds. We stayed in CBR the first time and were a little disappointed . We actually preferred the All-Star Music (last year) because the shop, food court and guest relations were in the same building (only a short walk away) and we were not confined to the ground floor. The rooms were not too much smaller that we even noticed.

chel

you didn't say if you where flying or driving? We are renting a 3 bedroom villa right off 192 less then 10 min. We are renting a van, that costs a lot but in the long run worth it. The villa gets us lots of room and privicy. I know my DH who is a wheelchair user perfers not sharing a room with the rest of the family. E-mail me if you want the owners name and I will send you his website.
He rents at a good price,

Thank you, sarahsmom85, for that offer, but we really want to stay on site. We are flying. I think Ben will tolerate this although he gets excited and loudly squeals and giggles. I hope this doesn't alarm or bother the other passengers. I'm thinking about having the physician order a sedative pre-flight on the chance he won't tolerate the flight. We are also taking his own w/c. How do the airlines deal with this?
thanks again for the generous offer,
Kristi

We flew American Airlines last fall, and it was ok. We got seated first, and they did all the transferring of hubby. I didn't have to lift a finger, well, except to carry all the bags. They checked his chair and made sure we knew that it was on board before each flight. When we had to change planes, an attendant took him in an airport wheelchair (because we didn't know that we had the option to have his personal chair waiting at the gate), put him, the two kids,me and all our carry-on junk into a cart and took us to the next gate. It was really nice to have help. The flight attendants even helped me get all of our stuff into the plane and then stowed up top. The only part that wasn't comfortable was the itty bitty aisle chair they put hubby into to get him to his seat. This time we are flying southwest, and I can check all his med stuff and won't have to carry so much.

Originally posted by maduusa
This time we are flying southwest, and I can check all his med stuff and won't have to carry so much.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you do not check anything medical. It does not count against you carry-on limits and is much safer (and will get there) if you take it with you.

I have an 18 yr old DD who has multiple disabilities and uses a wheelchair. And we've flown to Orlando at least once a year since she was a year old. We have not used an aisle chair (she refuses). No one has ever helped us to actually do the transfers on the plane (we've flown Northwest, Delta and several others. It may be that if you use the aisle chair they do the transfers (since they are trained in how to use it and you are not).

Ask about preboarding. They used to automatically assume you wanted to preboard and call you. They don't always anymore unless you do ask (some people with disabilities didn't like to be singled out and complained). Ask when you chekc in (sometimes they can put a note on your record) and ask again at the gate before boarding begins.
Gate checking the wheelchair is what it is called when you are able to use it until you get to the gate and then they take it. Ask about gate checking when you first check in. They may give you a tag right then, or they may tell you to get one from the gate agent (do it as soon as you can after arriving at the gate - don't wait until boarding). After DD gets out of the chair, I usually remove all the parts that can be removed without tools and take those on the plane with me, fasten the seatbelt, fold the wheelchair if possible. All that lessens the chance of damage. You can often specify where you want the chair delivered (gate or baggage claim at a connecting flight city or your final destination). If you have a connecting flight, make sure you will have time to get the chair delivered and make your next flight. Most of the people are often unloaded by the time DD's wheelchair is delivered to the gate (and then I have to put on anything that I took off).

Any medication or medical equipment that you can't afford to lose (even for a few days if your luggage is waylaid) should be carried on with you, according to the airlines. We have had delayed luggage a few times, so I just make sure we carry on everything that we can't do without.

Here's a thread about

ride boarding at WDW. Many of the rides can have the moving walkway slowed or stopped (exception is Peter Pan). The CMs (WDW Cast Members) are not allowed to actually transfer or lift anyone, but they can be very helpful with moving wheelchairs to and from the ride, offering a steadying hand and things like that. For the rides where you stay in the wheelchair, they will transfer the wheelchair into the ride car and position it for you.

last time we flew, they tied DH electric chair down using the shocks, which damaged them. This is what I'm doing next time.

Getting a 8 x 10 piece of cardboard and punching two holes at the top and attaching a string. Then I am writing the instruction now how to unlock and lock the chair. Also how to turn it on and off and anyother useful information. I might even include pictures. LOL Then I am attaching it to the chair for airport travel.

I think a lot of damage happens because the handlers don't know how to put the chair into manual mode. then if you do it before leaving it, they don't know how to lock it to keep it from being free wheeling. I think thats what happen last time we flew.
I put it in free wheeling and then they tied it down using the shocks. The worst thing to hear is "We are having a little trouble getting you chair to you."

I also included a note in my suitcase that I shipped the airmattess with pump and battery charger and other odd looking contraptions.
I'm sure it looked dangerous on xray.

We should have a disabitly travel tips link at top of forum.......
for reference since the search is disabled so offen,
Just a suggestion

His med things that I will check this time are his slide board, seat cushion, catheter supplies.... The attendants were great about helping us on and off, but we had so much stuff, and it all had to go at my feet. I packed all the things we might need in an emergency in a carry-on since we were changing planes, just in case they lost our luggage. This time we are going non-stop so I won't need that stuff with me. John's chair does not fold, so I can leave the cushion in it instead of carrying it and the slide board was useless with the plane transfers. I can put the charger in the rolling suitcase and throw a few books in for the ride and have it all condensed from 7 things to 1. Probably I won't get this whole what to take on the plane thing right until the last flight we ever take. lol Undoubtedly, if I pack it, he needs it, if I carry it on, it's not touched. I just hope all goes as well as the reservation agent promised.

chel

p.s. The only trip we have gone on via plane is also the only trip not cut short because I have broken the chair. :) Ironic, huh.

We should have a disabitly travel tips link at top of forum.......
for reference since the search is disabled so offen,
Just a suggestion
That is a very good suggestion. I started working on one over Christmas, but haven't got too far because I've been working on getting DD's new manual wheelchair sorted out (there were not too many pieces ordered on it that were right, so now we're trying to get that sorted out) and getting DD"s communication computer back in working order again so the poor thing can talk at school.

We usually bring her seat cushion into the cabin of the plane with us because she has a Jay cushion with gel in it. I'm a little worried about them setting something on the seat that would puncture it, so we bring it in. Also, if left in cold temperature (like the hold of a plane at high altitude) the gel can get so cold that it can cause a thermal injury when she sits on it Her seat is an unusual size (14 inches wide by 18 inches long) so if anything happened to it, we would not have a replacement . So, if your seat cushion is securely attached and won't be damaged if it gets soemthing heavy or sharp on it, then you don't need to take it off.

We're trying to decide if we are brave enough to fly with her power chair or not when we go in March. If we do, the guy who fixes her chair suggested taking off the joystick/controller part since that is the most delicate.

Wow! So much information. Thanks for everyone's input.
I would have never even considered taking his w/c gel cushion off because of the temp. change - that's a good idea. His chair is manual and quite bulky. It does fold, but that is a real hassle - do we have to fold it?

I have another question concerning meals for him. Although he is a teen, he is about the size of an eight year old. I noticed that the buffets listed the child menu from age 3-11. Since he requires smaller portions would they allow us to order off the childs menu for him? If not would they allow him to share my meal? Are there special arrangements for this?

Thanks again for the great info!
Kristi

would they allow him to share my meal?

The portions in the restaurants are so big that we order 2 entrees and I share with our son and my husband with our daughter. The only place that would charge full price would probably be a buffet.

chel

Originally posted by maduusa
The portions in the restaurants are so big that we order 2 entrees and I share with our son and my husband with our daughter. The only place that would charge full price would probably be a buffet.

chel
We've done that too and they have even brought us extra plates. For the counter service restaurants, I often order the childrens' menu for myself.
My DD is very small (5 feet tall and weighs 85 pounds). We have made PSs at buffets for her as an adult, but she usually eats most of her food off the children's area of the buffet. The servers usually (but not always) change the bill to charge her the children's price.

I would have never even considered taking his w/c gel cushion off because of the temp. change - that's a good idea. His chair is manual and quite bulky. It does fold, but that is a real hassle - do we have to fold it?
We live in Minnesota so when we got the first gel cushion, the wheelchair tech clued us in that they can get very cold if left in a cold place. (and you could even get a thermal burn from sitting on frozen gel. Ouch!) You don't have to fold the wheelchair; just may choose to if it folds easily and you think it will be less chance of damage that way. As long as it is securely open it should not be a problem.

As far as your question on hotels. If you are looking for the most economical solution

All-Stars has several disabled access rooms that connect to two doubles.

The disabled access rooms at All-Stars are King Beds only. All of the disabled access rooms at All-Stars have a mini-fridge provided without the extra charge.

If you make your reservations through special services, this combination of rooms will be guaranteed and set aside especially for you.

I have never stayed at Pop Century, but I understand that some of the disabled access rooms at Pop Century have two double beds. You may be able to get this setup at Pop Century connecting to a standard two double room. I don't know about guaranteed connecting at Pop Century, and I don't know if they have fridgies in disabled rooms at Pop Century.

I hope this information helps.

Carol

Speaking from the perspective of a check-in agent (I used to be one until a few mos. after 9-11) - the surest way to insure your luggage is lost is to check essential items like medical equipment or totally irreplacable items. If you can't easily replace those medical items and won't miss them then check-in is fine. If not, please rethink that and live with some inconvenience. I have had my luggage lost on my way to a cruise and cruised with a much smaller wardrobe than planned. My in-laws had their luggage fall off the cart, then it was drug, then a large jet ran over it. All they got back was a garbage bag with a few rags and a scrap of the suitcase. It was totally unidentifiable. The airline in question gave them a few thousand dollars worth of flight vouchers on top of the maximum luggage compensation. I had a client lose his custom golf clubs that he loved more than his wife, and many could no longer be replaced. The worst-case scenario IS reality, so please don't take a gamble if these are essentials for your son's comfort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter