• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Museums

MGMmjl

DIS Veteran
Recently, we had to pick up some family members from the Atlanta airport, and decided to go to the Delta Flight Museum there. It was a great look back at Delta/aviation history, and we had a lot of fun. My 5-year-old son especially liked getting to walk inside 2 of the airplanes there. It got me to thinking: I really enjoy visiting different types of museums, but I don't go to museums very often. I would like to go to more.

What about you? Do you enjoy visiting museums? What are some good museums you've been to recently?

We went to the Museum of Anthropology when we were in Vancouver last summer. It was really amazing, but unfortunately their Great Hall was under renovation so we didn't get to see many of the totem poles. We will be visiting a few museums in Greece this summer. We have a natural science museum near us that is good, but we don't go often, usually only for some kind of event, like they held a family scavenger hunt once.

Recently, we had to pick up some family members from the Atlanta airport, and decided to go to the Delta Flight Museum there. It was a great look back at Delta/aviation history, and we had a lot of fun. My 5-year-old son especially liked getting to walk inside 2 of the airplanes there. It got me to thinking: I really enjoy visiting different types of museums, but I don't go to museums very often. I would like to go to more.

What about you? Do you enjoy visiting museums? What are some good museums you've been to recently?
We visited Atlanta for a week this past summer and went to the Delta Flight Museum we really enjoyed it and everything else we saw while there. We always try to visit museums on vacations. We live an hour away from DC so get there a few times a year and go to some of the Smithsonian museums such as American History, Natural History, Air and Space, and American Indian. There is also an offshoot of the Air and Space located by Dulles Airport they have one of the space shuttles and all sorts of planes and vehicles and a tower where you can see planes landing and taking off and hear communication between pilots and the control tower. Occasionally we go to the Spy Museum or the Museum of the Bible. We are big animal people so always go to zoos and aquariums if a city we visit has it and get to the Maryland and National zoos a few times a year and usually the National Aquarium in Baltimore once a year.

If you ever get to the Netherlands, go to Aviodrome: https://www.aviodrome.nl/aircraft-theme-park-netherlands/
A great place to visit with kids.

Recently - I think the latest was the Sandwich Glass museum with DH, in November.

But I love museums in general and used to take DS a lot during summer and school breaks when he was younger. We're near Boston, so over the years, our list included:
  • The Children's Museum
  • The Harvard Museum of Natural History
  • The Institute of Contemporary Art
  • The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
  • The John F. Kennedy Library and Museum
  • The MIT Museum
  • The Museum of Fine Arts
  • The Museum of Science
  • The Old State House Museum
We've done a few others on vacations as well - some of the Smithsonian Museums, the Corning Glass Museum, a science one in Dallas years ago...

I really should get back into going to museums this summer!

:love: I have a personal tie to that museum. (I have my name on a brick dh purchased for me when I retired.) So glad you enjoyed it. It really is nice there, but I am totally biased.

As for museums, my favorites lean towards the ones that touch my core. The two that always come to mind for how well they were done is Holocaust Museum in DC and 9/11 Museum in NYC. You cannot come out of either of those not feeling deeply emotional.

Another museum (now closed) that will always haunt me is the Newseum. I went in late October 2001. They had an enormous 9/11 display as it was the main (and really only) headline of our country. One section was specific photographs that focused on one of the most gut wrenching parts of that day ... the jumpers. My Mom and I still talk about those photos, they are burned into our brains. Deeply affecting us. I have never seen the majority of those images ever again, they never made it to print or online (and for good reason.) They were pulled shortly after our visit as patrons said they were too distressing.

:love: I have a personal tie to that museum. (I have my name on a brick dh purchased for me when I retired.) So glad you enjoyed it. It really is nice there, but I am totally biased.
That's so cool! We walked through the courtyard and saw all the personalized bricks. We noticed they are doing a campaign through the end of the month for more personalized bricks that will be installed toward the end of this spring.

I love museums! We're going to London in April and there are so many museums we want to visit, but I know we can't do them justice with the time we'll be there and the other things we want to do. It's tough deciding which ones and how long to spend at each.

We hit museums pretty much everywhere we go. Most recently:

STAM Ghent City Museum
Brussels City Museum
Royal Museum of Fine Arts Belgium
Frietmuseum (learn all about the history of potatoes and fries)
Musee Angouleme (history of the area and art)
Comic Book Museum (Musee de la Bande Desinee)
Musée d'Aquitaine (learn all about the history of the Bordeaux region)
Cite du Vin (wine museum)
Bordeaux Wine and Trade Museum
Les Invalides (we were here for 4 hours and only got through maybe 50-75%, didn't even get to Napoleon's tomb)
Orangerie (seeing Water Lilies was amazing)
Choco-Story (chocolate museum in Paris, a nice way to spend a rainy afternoon)

Recently - I think the latest was the Sandwich Glass museum with DH, in November.

But I love museums in general and used to take DS a lot during summer and school breaks when he was younger. We're near Boston, so over the years, our list included:
  • The Children's Museum
  • The Harvard Museum of Natural History
  • The Institute of Contemporary Art
  • The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
  • The John F. Kennedy Library and Museum
  • The MIT Museum
  • The Museum of Fine Arts
  • The Museum of Science
  • The Old State House Museum
We've done a few others on vacations as well - some of the Smithsonian Museums, the Corning Glass Museum, a science one in Dallas years ago...

I really should get back into going to museums this summer!
On our first trip back east in 2017, my husband and I visited the Sandwich Glass museum. It was very interesting. We also enjoyed the Heritage Museum and gardens. We were staying in Brewster for a few days, then on to Newport and Boston. It was memorable because my husband got sick the second day of our trip, most likely food poisoning. We had to cancel our ferry trip to Nantucket, I would really like to go there someday.

I love museums, especially the small, unique or quite odd. The thing I struggle with is burnout, too much information. I start out wanting to read every plaque and give up because I can't take anything else in. I need to find a good strategy to see a museum and enjoy to get a good overview or sense of the place without getting overwhelmed. Museums my husband and I have enjoyed include:
The Getty Center
Petersen Auto Museum
WW2 Museum
The Met
The Museum of Flight

We are heading to London in June and there are so many museums, most of them are free!(donations) So of course it's hard to come up with a short list, not enough time to see all of them. So I'm thinking British Museum, National Portrait Gallery(if it reopens), Sir John Soane's Museum(sounded odd).

I love museums and try to visit them when we travel. Sometimes I go alone and that's totally fine, I like stopping to read all the placards, not just breeze through. We were in Amsterdam last fall and I went to the Van Gogh museum while DH found a comfy barstool nearby lol. I knew he'd be bored after a couple of paintings so no use spending the money for him to go and I enjoy wandering around by myself.

eta: one of the most interesting ones we went to was in Germany a few years ago, we went to the Crime & Punishment museum in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Lots of torture devices!

I visited the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum late last year. Both the indoor museum and the outdoor memorial are incredibly well done and deeply moving. Highly recommend.
Is your profile picture the Fife tiara? Anywhere that piece is on display would be a favorite of mine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter