• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Must do at Christmas time in Disney?

MoxieBadger

Earning My Ears
I've always been at Halloween, which I love. I think I want to try November this year, with a 15 month old! Am I crazy?!
What are your favorite things to do/see at Christmas time in Disney World?
Misty

I think we are doing November, also. We have been once before in November, and we love going to the GF to see the decorations - especially the huge gingerbread house.

For us, it is easier to bring a 15 month old than a 2-3 year old. No potty training issues, no complaints about what she wears (from her, anyway), and very little talking back. :) 15 months can be a great age at Disney.

We really like seeing the decorations in all the resorts, especially AKL, GF, and WL. I enjoy visiting the Poly and walking around outside with the tiki torches lit and Hawaiian Christmas music playing. Very relaxing.

Of course, most will say Osborne Lights are a must do, but when we went Thanksgiving week a few years ago, it was insanely crowded. Elbow to elbow. I would still say go, because it is special to see, but be prepared to be rammed with strollers (and perhaps inadvertently do some ramming yourself). Be patient, too. I heard so many parents yelling at their children out of frustration and stress. The night we were at HS on a Monday during Thanksgiving week was the most crowded I have ever seen a Disney park.

And you know what gets me excited about going during the holidays? Watching television specials about how Disney does it up for Christmas. You should try to find some of those videos and watch them. They go behind the scenes to show some of the special things Disney does for the holidays.

Regarding decorating, I don't know if there's an official calendar or timetable for when parks/resorts put up their Christmas decorations. MK definitely puts their decorations up first, in early November, because the Christmas parties start first week of November.

My favorite is the Osborne Dancing Lights in the Studios. They are magical!

The Candlelight Processional is also very nice, especially if you are Christian. We are not, but we still enjoyed the show. You may want to book a special dinner which will guarantee you seats.

Santa is in the MK's Holiday Parade which is only seen in MVMCP until it ends a few days before Christmas. ETA: The Holiday Parade becomes the regular MK parade after MVMCP ends so you don't need to go to the party to see it if you're there after the 18th or 19th of December.

I don't recall anything particularly special at DTD.

Last edited:
Is the MVMCP worth it? What about Downtown Disney during that time?

Personally I liked MVMCP but not as much MNNSHP. There was a discussion on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies Forum a few days ago discussing MVMCP, there are special parades and characters, the consensus seems to be that it's gotten more expensive and typically is more crowded with long ride lines. But look for the discussions in that forum and decide for yourself.

We did the MVMCP 2 times last year during our late November - Early December (2014) visit. ON the first day we found our seat to watch the parade (near it's start). IT was VERY crowded. After the parade we got in line to get pictures with the 7 Dwarves (who only show up as a group during special events like this). Waited in a LONG line for about an hour... Then it started raining hard enough that they had to go in. While we thought they might come back out, they didn't at least in the next 90 minutes (or so). So we never got our picture that day.

A couple days later we had tickets AGAIN for this event. We were in line EARLY for the 7 Dwarves but still ended up waiting about an hour to get our pictures. It started drizzling again but at least we got our pictures. The lines were not really any better than they were for any other day we were there at this trip and although we got free cocoa and cookies, there were long lines for that. It was kind of depressing that our group of 5 (Me, DW, DD17 & BF, and DD9) spent ~$385 TWICE for some pictures, a fair seat at the parade, and some Cookies and Cocoa. I realize that WDW cannot control Mother Nature but it was a bit depressing last time.

We had done the MVMCP in Late November 2012 as well. That one was MUCH better for us. It was crowded but not like it was in 2014. I'd be happier to pay more for the ticket if WDW would cut down (significantly) the number of tickets they sell for this event so that it's not so crowded.

Like most things that require an assessment of value or worth, it really is up to you. We are going again in November this year (with the Free Dining Plan offer) and my DW has already questioned whether we want to do the MVMCP or go to Sea world? We have done both and liked both, but we are both leaning toward Sea world as a better value. For the same money (nearly) we can get a full day at Sea world with their Dine-All-Day plan which is ABSOLUTELY worth it.

Everything Disney World is expensive, but the MVMCP is the only time we felt we had been cheated. It MIGHT be worth it if they capped the attendance at about 2/3 of what they now allow. They should call it MVCCP, Mickey's Very Crowded Christmas Party. I remember a prolonged battle just to get some very average cookies and hot chocolate. The hub was so crowded that I literally felt trapped, pushing your way through the crowd to get out of the hub was almost impossible.

I know some people still love it so the best I can figure is that if you are the kind of person that gets excited to see a different Christmas parade or keeps lists of the restricted characters you meet then go. If you are the kind of person that looks at the crowd calendar to plan your trip, run away from this one.

Candlelight Processional at Epcot. Santa & Mrs Claus MAY be at American Adventure at Epcot then. Osborne Family Lights at DHS. And get a pic with Santa Goofy nearby.

The Osborne Lights in DHS are spectacular! Definitely a must see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter