Must-do besides rides, w/ 3-year-old?

baseballnut

Mouseketeer
Heading to WDW over July 4th. What things are on your must-do list besides rides?

We just went in December and can't wait to go back now that we know what to expect. We have park hopper and WPF&M. Doing MK fireworks the 3rd and Epcot fireworks for the 4th.

Staying at POP, but not necessarily all about checking out the other resorts. Except maybe the campfire thing? I don't know much about where you can get by boat, to the parks, from where, etc. or what else there really is to do for us - because I know there's a TON to do.

Thanks much!!

If you're staying at POP, walk over to AOA. We did that last year with our three kids, then ages nearly 3 to age 4. They LOVED, LOVED, LOVED eating at that food court, it was just brighter and much better food. BUT they also adored walking around the Cars themed area and getting pictures next to all the cars from from the movie Cars and touching and hugging them.

If you're staying at POP, walk over to AOA. We did that last year with our three kids, then ages nearly 3 to age 4. They LOVED, LOVED, LOVED eating at that food court, it was just brighter and much better food. BUT they also adored walking around the Cars themed area and getting pictures next to all the cars from from the movie Cars and touching and hugging them.

Perfect, thank you!! Good to know.

I don't know if you caught the electrical water pageant the first time you went, but it's nice and relaxing to watch it from one of the resort beaches. Maybe take a wagon ride at Fort Wilderness Campground (I think they are still offered) and definitely check out the camp fire and roast some marshmallows. Carriage rides are also offered at POR and Fort Wilderness so that might interest you as well. There is a thread regarding Disney transportation on the DIS that will help you navigate your way from point A to point B and inform you on what type of transportation (bus, boat, monorail) is offered for that particular location. It's handy for when you find yourself scratching your head and wondering how your going to get across property and what the quickest route will be if you find yourself in a pinch or time.

I don't know if you caught the electrical water pageant the first time you went, but it's nice and relaxing to watch it from one of the resort beaches. Maybe take a wagon ride at Fort Wilderness Campground (I think they are still offered) and definitely check out the camp fire and roast some marshmallows. Carriage rides are also offered at POR and Fort Wilderness so that might interest you as well. There is a thread regarding Disney transportation on the DIS that will help you navigate your way from point A to point B and inform you on what type of transportation (bus, boat, monorail) is offered for that particular location. It's handy for when you find yourself scratching your head and wondering how your going to get across property and what the quickest route will be if you find yourself in a pinch or time.

Thanks for the tips! Will definitely look into them. :)

If you are at Epcot, go between the UK and France out the international gateway. You will happen upon the friendship boats which run between Epcot, the Epcot resorts, and Hollywood studios. It's a nice ride, and the area is beautiful. Our 2.5 year old loved riding on the boat.

If you are at Epcot, go between the UK and France out the international gateway. You will happen upon the friendship boats which run between Epcot, the Epcot resorts, and Hollywood studios. It's a nice ride, and the area is beautiful. Our 2.5 year old loved riding on the boat.

Sounds perfect! Thanks!

Our son loved to play in the fountain outside Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney. We went every night! Bring some water shoes though, otherwise it is a slippery nightmare.

My son also loved finding squished penny machines and making squished pennies.

We rode a Surrey bike last trip and was actually really hard work, and not relaxing at all, so I wouldn't recommend that. It looks pleasant, but it was not!

Save lots of time for the Bone Yard playground in Animal Kingdom. My 3 year old would have spent all day in there if I'd have let him. Same goes for Honey I Shrunk the Kids in Hollywood Studios.

Our son loved to play in the fountain outside Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney. We went every night! Bring some water shoes though, otherwise it is a slippery nightmare. My son also loved finding squished penny machines and making squished pennies. We rode a Surrey bike last trip and was actually really hard work, and not relaxing at all, so I wouldn't recommend that. It looks pleasant, but it was not! Save lots of time for the Bone Yard playground in Animal Kingdom. My 3 year old would have spent all day in there if I'd have let him. Same goes for Honey I Shrunk the Kids in Hollywood Studios.

Good to know! Thanks so much!!

My dd4 loved the pool at POP... There is also a splash pad at POP which ds2 and dd4 spent a lot of time in... But as stated previously walk over to AOA... It is great for that age... Ds2 loved the cars area and just looking at everything... There are cool things all over... When you go on Dumbo they have a new option for waiting in line where they give you a beeper and the kids go play in a play area while you wait in line... Ds2 loved the play area and was sad to leave when it was our time to ride the ride... Little kids are great at disney... I think ds2 enjoyed the bus rides to and from the park more then the rides,.. But he's alway had a fondness for busses...

My dd4 loved the pool at POP... There is also a splash pad at POP which ds2 and dd4 spent a lot of time in... But as stated previously walk over to AOA... It is great for that age... Ds2 loved the cars area and just looking at everything... There are cool things all over... When you go on Dumbo they have a new option for waiting in line where they give you a beeper and the kids go play in a play area while you wait in line... Ds2 loved the play area and was sad to leave when it was our time to ride the ride... Little kids are great at disney... I think ds2 enjoyed the bus rides to and from the park more then the rides,.. But he's alway had a fondness for busses...

Last time we were able to walk right on to Dumbo a few times, so we didn't do the play area. I know we will this time, though, so nice to know it'll be a fun wait. Thanks!

Thought of one more thing:

We rode the train around the magic kingdom and our daughter loved that too. Not exactly a non-ride.

Oh and at Epcot we had some fun playing at innoventions to get out of the heat for a bit.

We really did make our own rides out of the transportation options, but our girly girl loves cars and boats and such.

Thought of one more thing: We rode the train around the magic kingdom and our daughter loved that too. Not exactly a non-ride. Oh and at Epcot we had some fun playing at innoventions to get out of the heat for a bit. We really did make our own rides out of the transportation options, but our girly girl loves cars and boats and such.

Great!!! We didn't do the train last time so I'll put that on our list. Thank you!!

My daughter's absolute favorite thing was the Hoop dee do review at Fort Wilderness. She still talks about it and the corny jokes all the time.

If your family can stay out late without getting totally pooped, all the night time shows! Wishes, IllumiNations, Fantasmic! and the Electrical Water Pageant. Characters, characters, characters!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter