Must-Dos for an Adult's First Visit

DisneyMagicFanatic

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

My boyfriend and I will be coming to WDW in a couple of weeks for 7 days. I have been to WDW many times. He has only been to the Magic Kingdom once about 15 years ago and doesn't remember a single thing he did in the park, so all things considered, this will be like his first visit.

I feel like I have a pretty good overall plan in place. I made Theme Park Reservations and a handful of dining reservations, but with the Food & Wine Festival, and with this being an adult-only trip, I didn't want to overschedule meals so that we can take advantage of the F&W Festival and some of the lounges at the resorts to sample food here and there without a need for tons of dining reservations.

My question is: If you were taking an adult who is not exactly a Disney "skeptic" (he's completely excited about the trip and going to WDW), but isn't a super fan by any means, and you could show them one place, one thing, have them ride one attraction, see one show, have one snack that shows them why you love Disney so much, what would that thing be?

Thank you so much!!

Epcot- Guardians of the Galaxy
HS- Rise of the Resistance and Tower of Terror
AK - Flights of Passage
MK- Happily Ever After Fireworks Show

Where I see people being miserable is when they are being dragged around to check off a "must-do" list.

If the Disney "skeptic" finds out they want to spend more time getting a beer somewhere, lingering in a shop, watching a performer or people-watching, just go with the flow.

You can always steer them toward some of the "big stuff," but keep the stress on zero.

Have fun!

The two stand-out attractions right now are Rise of the Resistance (DHS) and Flight of Passage (DAK). These two attractions are each located in must-see places, Galaxy's Edge and Pandora.

I haven't done either Tron or GotG, so I cannot comment on those.

See one show? That would have to be Festival of the Lion King if we're not counting the MK fireworks, a must-see for anyone, really.

I cannot be relied on for meals or snacks because I'm vegan, so my preferences might not align with yours.

AK - Flight of Passage. Navi River Journey is a slow ride, but it's visually pretty cool. Winged Encounters is something we always enjoy. Having the birds fly right over you is a pretty unique experience.

HS - Toy Story Midway Mania. For years we didn't do this one. Then one year we gave it a try and it's been one of our favorite things to do ever since. The breakfast Totchos at Woody's Lunch Box are one of my favorites.

EP - In the past couple of years we've started trying some of the different offerings at Kringla Bakeri Og Kafe and Karamell-Kuche. The treats are very rich and best shared. I usually can't eat an entire treat by myself. We also recently discovered L'Artisan des Glaces. Yummy ice cream and sorbet!

I'm going to concur with what one of the other posters commented on: Don't make the whole trip about rushing from one place to the next. Take some time to take in all of your surroundings. Disney put a lot of time and effort into building these parks and there are lots of things to see if you just slow down and take them all in. :)

One ride - depends on a: if he likes to ride rides and b: what kind of rides he likes. Different strokes and all. Personally I can tell you hubby hadn't been to WDW since he was a teenager and all he remembered was how much he hated playing in the band in Epcot cause it was so hot and Small World in MK. So since my adult son and I go a lot we decided AK was the first park to show him. He loved it and loved Safari the best. Of course, he was o.k. with MK and HS but he is not a ride guy so Safari was just right. If your boyfriend is a coaster fan - probably GoTG, RNRC or EE. If he gets motion sickness GoTG might be out.

One show - this is a tough one cause I love them all. Again, depends on what he likes and what you mean by show. Are you talking live entertainment or something like The American Experience? It also depends on who might be playing on the American Stage for F&W while you are there. I love FoTLK in AK but really even enjoy the street performers in all the parks.

One snack - no help for you there since aren't snackers so don't do the usual snacks. Sometimes we will eat what is considered a snack for a meal if we are just snacking around the world or not in the mood for a lot of food that day. We always try to eat at most of the booths at F&W when we are there for that but love us some guac and queso at LaCava in Mexico or small bites at Spice Road Tables.

We are big fans of Nomad Lounge in HS and HBD Lounge in HS, both you can do walk up wait list and we love the food and drinks at both. You also might consider some of the places in the resorts. I'm a big fan of Three Bridges in CSR but almost all the moderate and deluxe resorts have pretty good bar/lounge areas that also serve food.

Most importantly don't try to over schedule or rush around. The key to WDW is really just enjoying the place. Maybe watch some UTube videos with him to see what he finds interesting or fun. Maybe he just wants to walk around WS in Epcot and take in each country. Maybe all he wants to do while he is there is ride thrill rides. Maybe he wants to do a little bit of all of it.

One location that always gives me good vibes:
We love the look and feel of Crescent Lake (Boardwalk, Beach club, Yacht club area). We like to schedule a lunch, dinner, or snack at one of those resorts for an excuse to walk over there while in Epcot (use the back entrance to EP). It's just laid out so beautifully and feels relaxing. Gets you out of the hustle and bustle of the park for a bit

Classic Disney Transportation:
If you get a chance, take the monorail for a meal or snack at a monorail resort, or just to browse. The monorail is classic WDW.

When my husband came the first time with me back when we were dating, the biggest things that stood out for him was how much better AK was thanwhen he went as a kid (I'm pretty sure the paint was still drying on the signs it was so newly opened) and that Epcot as an adult over 21 is a lot more enjoyable.

He's not a huge Disney person, but to him it's the finishing touches that make it worthwhile. He's also a huge fan of thrill rides so he's trying to figure out how we can do Tron on our very short pre-cruise trip next year.

I love the combo of Pirates and a dole whip float, while watching the spitting tikis and camel. Particularly like at dusk or dark. I think that really captures the immersive Disney detail vibe!! Then if he’s loving it….Tiki Room!!

Another vote for Nomad Lounge. As we go more as adults without kids, we find the lounges are awesome! Low key, great vibe, good food etc. And Nomad Lounge at AK is the BEST. GET THE CHURROS. Everything is great there, but the churros are on another planet. And for us, sitting on the deck outside - it's just awesome!

Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios!
if your foodies do a nice dinner somewhere. We love Jiko at Animal Kingdom lodge and can go early and see the animals and have a drink at Victoria Falls Bar. We also loved dinner at Monseuir Paul in Epcot France pavilion and it’s a long experience and can watch fireworks from the restaurant.
As Far as hotels if your going to do a lot of Epcot and Hollywood stay at either Boardwalk (our favorite) or beach and yacht. There is also Swan and Dolphin right there maybe more affordable but not technically Disney hotels (if you look there consider they charge a resort fee and parking which Disney resorts don’t) if going to do mainly Magic Kingdom any of the monorail resorts based on your preference
We don’t schedule too many sit down meals one a day at most so many other options especially during festivals.
Snacks Pretzel Bread Pudding in Germany or Carmel cookie dough cup at Karamelle Kouche (that’s the caramel store in Germany. Nomad lounge in AK

Where I see people being miserable is when they are being dragged around to check off a "must-do" list.

If the Disney "skeptic" finds out they want to spend more time getting a beer somewhere, lingering in a shop, watching a performer or people-watching, just go with the flow.

You can always steer them toward some of the "big stuff," but keep the stress on zero.

Have fun!
This is such a good point.

I love this thread, because it helps bring up experiences/things that might not be on the radar. Disney is expensive, and it's not uncommon to see tired, overwrought children with their equally tired and stressed parents trying to get the biggest bang for the buck. I totally get it... kids don't have the resilience that adults have.

That said, that same pressure can be on adults. I remember when I took a friend visiting from Vienna - we had ONE day, at EpCot. We of course hit the ground running, and did Soaring 3 times in a row before the line went from nil to 2 hours. :) It was his first time, and I had him on a fast track to hit as many places as we could. At 11 am, he stopped in the UK and said, "Let's sit and have a beer." I was beside myself. Sit? Not go from ride to ride/experience to experience? The only time I'd sat before was when we were in line, or waiting for fireworks, etc.
Who knew that just sitting and watching people go by, street performers, taking in the experience, could be so fulfilling.

As long as you're having fun and enjoying what you're doing, you won't miss what you don't do. Soak it in!

Have fun!
💯

My DH has slowly become a fan after being a naysayer. I believe it's because I quit planning or at least became super flexible. He actually asks for things now - I booked a repeat fireworks cruise because he liked it so much!

A private fireworks cruise runs $424 tax included, but you get 2 hours on the boat, see either EP or MK fireworks, and you can BYOB if plastic!

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I will be coming to WDW in a couple of weeks for 7 days. I have been to WDW many times. He has only been to the Magic Kingdom once about 15 years ago and doesn't remember a single thing he did in the park, so all things considered, this will be like his first visit.

I feel like I have a pretty good overall plan in place. I made Theme Park Reservations and a handful of dining reservations, but with the Food & Wine Festival, and with this being an adult-only trip, I didn't want to overschedule meals so that we can take advantage of the F&W Festival and some of the lounges at the resorts to sample food here and there without a need for tons of dining reservations.

My question is: If you were taking an adult who is not exactly a Disney "skeptic" (he's completely excited about the trip and going to WDW), but isn't a super fan by any means, and you could show them one place, one thing, have them ride one attraction, see one show, have one snack that shows them why you love Disney so much, what would that thing be?

Thank you so much!!
Food, drink, shopping, and entertainment at Disney Springs. So much to do there. We loved the Cirque du Soleil show, Drawn to Life, in Disney Springs. Also late night entertainment at The Edison.

Other ideas:

Monorail pub crawl: Grab drinks/apps at California Grill, Tambu Lounge, and Enchanted Rose.

Starlight Safari Tour at AK

Spend time on the Boardwalk

Hope you have a great trip.

Have fun!
When my husband and I were dating I planned out the itinerary and then dragged him and my son around MK then AK before I faced a mutiny. They told me we needed to slow down because ticking off my list was exhausting not fun. It’s hard for us over planners but sometimes we need to just go with the flow!

This summer I will have the pleasure of bringing a first timer & huge Disney fan.
I've added the above advice to my planning notes.

Love the idea of allowing them to unfold the experience as their interest leads them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter