Must I absolutely get up at midnight for FP+ SDMT?

thisismyusername

DIS Veteran
Our window opens at midnight tonight. We made FP+ reservations for SDMT over the summer with no problems, but according to threads I've read here, it seems that people are having greater difficulty obtaining FP+ reservations over the past few months, making it essential to make reservations at midnight. Quite honestly, I really don't want to stay up to midnight or wake up a few hours after I go to sleep to get up at midnight and make my reservations. I have no problems making them first thing tomorrow morning at 7 a.m., but it seems like I need to be concerned that there won't be any availability if I wait the 7 hours and do it in the morning...

Thoughts? I'll get up at midnight if I have to, but would prefer not to. Thanks for your feedback.

I would say if it is important that you get a certain day or time, then yes. We are going in October and I was unable to get FP+ for this ride until our last two days of the trip. (Going for 6 day)

We are going in November and I was on at midnight barely got anything we wanted had to change a lot around. The next morning I played around and was grateful because most were gone except the rides that I know you do not need a fast pass for.

But I was glad I did get up at midnight to do it because if I waited until morning, I'd always have wondered if I MIGHT have gotten it if I'd tried at midnight.:confused3

I had to remind myself that I wasn't competing only with people whose windows began at midnight on 9/23, but also with everyone whose windows began earlier than mine. It didn't help that this is a really quick trip for me so there was only 1 day to play with... if you have a longer stay and flexible schedule, you'll have better luck.

Still stalking MDX on all devices to see if we can get one... Good luck to you!

FWIW, my experience was booking for a group of 12 people, traveling the week of Columbus Day, estimated moderate+ crowds. I wanted 7dwarves either on day 61 or 65.

At midnight I could get times for our big group both of those days, but only about 6time choices for day 61, none of which convenient for us. Day 65 choices were plentiful and I picked one at a great time we liked. That's all I booked at midnight - went to sleep with plans of getting the rest of my FPs done the next afternoon.

At 2pm the next day, I peeked at 7dwarfs to see what was available - nothing at all for 12 people on day 61, and pretty limited on day 65 - all morning times gone, a handful of choices in the afternoon (2-5 window) and more times from 6pm on. All my other FPs were available iin all the parks I wanted on the days I wanted, with many time choices. (I didn't need Anna and Elsa, so no info on that)

I just booked all my FP+ for the week of Thanksgiving on Tuesday. I did it first thing in the morning at work (8am). I was able to get 7DMT for 3 days of my trip and I edited times several since then. I was not able to get it the first night of my trip 11/22.

We liked, didn't love the ride....but my DS2 should be able to ride this time and I know he will love it which is why I tried to get it for as many days as possible. I would never wait in much of a line for it.

Our window opens at midnight tonight. We made FP+ reservations for SDMT over the summer with no problems, but according to threads I've read here, it seems that people are having greater difficulty obtaining FP+ reservations over the past few months, making it essential to make reservations at midnight. Quite honestly, I really don't want to stay up to midnight or wake up a few hours after I go to sleep to get up at midnight and make my reservations. I have no problems making them first thing tomorrow morning at 7 a.m., but it seems like I need to be concerned that there won't be any availability if I wait the 7 hours and do it in the morning...

Thoughts? I'll get up at midnight if I have to, but would prefer not to. Thanks for your feedback.
Being a September WDWer I would say don't sweat it..All that stuff was available and even A&E was a 35 minute standby…7DMT 40 minutes….BUT september is nearly over and 60 days puts you where somewhere around Thanksgiving? I just looked at my 53 days out for a quick 5 day trip Nov 16th AND all the popular stuff like parade viewing, A+E, 7 DMT are NOT available during my stay. However I know for a fact that stuff opens up daily if you keep checking right up to the day of….If I were you and these rides are important Fps for you then yeh get up at a little after 12 am and book em Dano…I think its also a safe bet to say you can do it at 6am as well. But 60 days out based on what I just saw on MDE for me….YES.

When I tried at midnight at the 60 day mark, I saw it available for both our MK days (day 2 and 5 of our trip). Although I think there were minimal times as the time slot I got was afternoon. Shortly aftewards, it was gone. So if you want to ensure you ride it, I would suggest trying at midnight. From what I hear, you can wait on all the others (excpet A&E) so you could stay up / set your alarm and then go to bed and do rest in the morning.

I had no problem getting them. I did them at 7 pm 60 days in advance. so I wouldn't worry about being able to get them as long as you do it sometime during the day, 60 days in advance unless you are wanting a certain time

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for day 2 and day 6. I'm not so concerned about day 6, but day 2 has me concerned since I know it's earlier in trip AND it's the day before Thanksgiving, so it's going to be a higher crowd day than day 6...

We've done standby for SDMT before, and don't find the wait to be awful if we can't snag a reservation, but we have two in our family who don't like roller coasters, so it's just so much easier to ride it if we have a reservation and don't need to drag them through the standby line with us. I guess I'll be setting my alarm for midnight… :crazy2:

When I tried at midnight at the 60 day mark, I saw it available for both our MK days (day 2 and 5 of our trip). Although I think there were minimal times as the time slot I got was afternoon. Shortly aftewards, it was gone. So if you want to ensure you ride it, I would suggest trying at midnight. From what I hear, you can wait on all the others (excpet A&E) so you could stay up / set your alarm and then go to bed and do rest in the morning.

Same here/ I agree. It really depends how important it is for you to get it. For us, we have never ridden it and plan on taking a several-year from Disney after this trip, so it was a priority. Since you've ridden it before, it might not matter as much to you. Just know that the longer you wait after that midnight window opens up, the less likely you'll be able to get it and for the time/dates you want.

If it's important to you, I would. I did mine at midnight and was able to get them for SDMT every MK day for the times I wanted.

Maybe all the stars were aligned but I did not start at midnight and got Anna and Elsa for the week of Thanksgiving as well as SDMR twice that week. I didn't do my FP selections until the afternoon (I can't get on from work) and the site wasn't cooperating before I left for work). I took advice and worked backwards and got pretty much what we wanted. I am sure I will tweak it a bit but it wasn't the disaster I was preparing myself for.

I've gotten FPs for 7DMT twice so far & both times, I wasn't able to get them until 27-28 days prior. I just kept on checking at different times of day & the 1st time in August was only able to get one for 9pm. The 2nd time I was able to choose from 3pm or 9pm so I chose the earlier one. If you're not able to get it at midnight, just keep trying. :)

Maybe all the stars were aligned but I did not start at midnight and got Anna and Elsa for the week of Thanksgiving as well as SDMR twice that week. I didn't do my FP selections until the afternoon (I can't get on from work) and the site wasn't cooperating before I left for work). I took advice and worked backwards and got pretty much what we wanted. I am sure I will tweak it a bit but it wasn't the disaster I was preparing myself for.

I'm glad it worked for you! Maybe there are simply more people talking about the difficulties, but it sounds like the stars did align for you, especially with regard to A&E

When I went on at 8am I also saw Anna & Elsa for several of the later days in our Thanksgiving week trip. We had seen them in June and it wasn't a priority for my boys so I didn't book them, but I was surprised to see them there for those two days.

I just checked for FP for Nov 26th and there were no times available for 7DMT.

I'm sure it will change if you check back often, just not sure its worth getting up at midnight.

I got mine for that week Sunday morning (9:00am) and the only day that I had to adjust was our first day.

I just checked for FP for Nov 26th and there were no times available for 7DMT.

I'm sure it will change if you check back often, just not sure its worth getting up at midnight.

I got mine for that week Sunday morning (9:00am) and the only day that I had to adjust was our first day.

Ha--thanks! Maybe I will sleep in. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter