• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Muster - Handicap

gary in florida

Mouseketeer
As anyone requested for the muster that you go to a restaurant because of a handicap using a scooter? I've hear 2 comments so far, 1) You must go to assigned, 2) the standard answer, check with guest services or when you check in. We've gone before and it was a mess on the deck for both us and other guests.
Also on the Dream I "heard" that we would be assigned to "G" which I think is on deck 4.

I think it really does depend on where your cabin is as to which muster station you are assigned to. I know when I had my 83 year old aunt in a wheelchair we had to go to Deck 4....we just made sure we headed there before the muster time so we could get an elevator. Hung back after everyone left for same reason.

I have not heard of them letting you go to dining room just because you have a scooter but maybe because it is not on my radar.

MJ

You can call the special needs services line to get a full answer but we are going to check in early for my kid that is on the autism spectrum.... I am not sure how it works for a scooter, if you can check in early though I would because elevators are insane after muster

I think it really does depend on where your cabin is as to which muster station you are assigned to. I know when I had my 83 year old aunt in a wheelchair we had to go to Deck 4....we just made sure we headed there before the muster time so we could get an elevator. Hung back after everyone left for same reason.

I have not heard of them letting you go to dining room just because you have a scooter but maybe because it is not on my radar.

MJ
I think your right, RCL does make changes, my daughter because of her level gets to go to a restaurant, I'd rather go on DCL and be on the deck for a short time.
We, will go to deck 4 with my 82 year old wife.

To my knowledge DCL will ask you to go to the assigned muster station, not an alternate location. Muster stations vary by stateroom location, and some are indoors while others are out on deck 4. If you contact the Special Needs department and discuss the circumstances, they may allow you to check-in early or a private session (I think I've only heard of a private session once on DCL, so not sure that's really an option you can expect). Remember the alarm sounds everywhere onboard, so you really can't escape the noise; if noise is a problem, I suggest bringing earmuffs. As for the crowds, I think they try to work with those who have mobility issues so you can use the elevators before muster and again after muster before the crush of passengers is released. But I don't think you'll be directed to a different location for muster.

Enjoy your cruise!

To my knowledge DCL will ask you to go to the assigned muster station, not an alternate location. Muster stations vary by stateroom location, and some are indoors while others are out on deck 4. If you contact the Special Needs department and discuss the circumstances, they may allow you to check-in early or a private session (I think I've only heard of a private session once on DCL, so not sure that's really an option you can expect). Remember the alarm sounds everywhere onboard, so you really can't escape the noise; if noise is a problem, I suggest bringing earmuffs. As for the crowds, I think they try to work with those who have mobility issues so you can use the elevators before muster and again after muster before the crush of passengers is released. But I don't think you'll be directed to a different location for muster.

Enjoy your cruise!
We have been on cruises before, therefore know that the stations are assigned by cabin. I have contacted Special Needs, they stated to contact Guest Services when we arrive and the "may" help us, no negative comment so maybe they can help. Again, we have been on cruises and know about the alarm and she needs a scooter to get around no hearing problems. Again, been on cruises and know that the CM's are very helpful on getting around all the time, not just at muster time. I will post after our cruise as to how the handicap is handled, and I know that DCL will handle the problems for us to the best they can.

We've been on three cruises with DCL with my mother who has to use an ECV/scooter. The first was an Oct 2015 Western Caribbean on the Fantasy, then a July 2016 Alaskan on the Wonder, and most recently in April 2017 to the Southern Caribbean on the Magic. Each time we went to our assigned muster station as we normally would. I can't guarantee it will go this way (I don't know that it is set policy or anything), but it was essentially the same each time for us over the 3 years.

We always go down about 20-30 minutes prior to the start of the drill to avoid having to fight for an elevator. If you've cruised with an ECV before, you know people don't always give priority to ECV's, even if they were there waiting for the elevator first.

On the Fantasy and Wonder, we were outside on Deck 4 and our muster station was immediately adjacent to the door. When we stepped out on deck, a castmember greeted my mother and asked her to back up to the wall with the ECV, closest to the door. Then, the rest of us in the stateroom lined up next to her as usual - single file, tallest to shortest (tallest in the back next to the wall down to shortest in the front). At the end of the drill, a castmember walked over and released us just prior to everyone else so we could get in to an elevator. It couldn't have been any easier for us.

On the Magic, we were in Animator's Palette. When we went in, there were multiple groups spaced out around the restaurant. Our group was in the back left corner, so I immediately thought, "well, we're not getting out first here and we'll have a hard time getting an elevator". That wasn't the case; a castmember still released us just prior to everyone else, so we got an elevator quickly.

I was concerned it would be difficult with the ECV and so many people at the muster drill, but with how they handled it, it was very smooth.

You can call the special needs services line to get a full answer but we are going to check in early for my kid that is on the autism spectrum.

In case you haven't thought of it already, consider hearing protection for your child. My autistic cousin was VERY bothered by the alarms. Not that there were alarms but by the (obviously necessary) volume of them.

We always go down about 20-30 minutes prior to the start of the drill to avoid having to fight for an elevator. If you've cruised with an ECV before, you know people don't always give priority to ECV's, even if they were there waiting for the elevator first.

I've noticed that at muster the employees block those who don't need elevators from using them. So they are usable more easily by those who truly cannot use the stairs. FWIW.

Last edited:
In case you haven't thought of it already, consider hearing protection for your child. My automatic cousin was VERY bothered by the alarms. Not that there were alarms but by the (obviously necessary) volume of them.

I assume you mean autistic. Gotta love auto-correct.

I've noticed that at muster the employees block those who don't need elevators from using them. So they are usable more easily by those who truly cannot use the stairs. FWIW.

Yes, and in case of an actual emergency where the elevators aren't working, crew members would have to carry the handicapped passengers down the stairs. Not my idea of a good time.

On our latest cruise two months ago I was struggling on the stairs (chronic case of the kneezles) and a crew member invited me to use the elevator, while all able-body passengers had to take the stairs.

In case you haven't thought of it already, consider hearing protection for your child. My automatic cousin was VERY bothered by the alarms. Not that there were alarms but by the (obviously necessary) volume of them.

Thanks, we are going to also bring headphones this time, if I recall the alarm on the magic is quite loud, we may even bring ear plugs

Thanks, we are going to also bring headphones this time, if I recall the alarm on the magic is quite loud, we may even bring ear plugs

Sorry about the autocorrect.

I'm not sure if headphones or earplugs are better. He was so distraught. I mean, it's loud. I was having equilibrium problems due to the volume of it (and we were in a stateroom). But he had a worse time of it, that's for sure.

Originally I was thinking of taking her back to the stateroom but it's just as loud as in there, the DCL special services line said there are supposedly quite spaces on the ship so I am going to ask the crew that when we get on the ship of where we can take her.

Hey, it may not happen on your cruise, but just be aware they do crew drills every two weeks. While guests don't need to do anything they will still sound the announcements and alarms and are often way more spaced out than the guest drill. It's only done in port so you may not even be onboard if it does happen, just a heads up if you need preparation time.

As anyone requested for the muster that you go to a restaurant because of a handicap using a scooter? I've hear 2 comments so far, 1) You must go to assigned, 2) the standard answer, check with guest services or when you check in. We've gone before and it was a mess on the deck for both us and other guests.
Also on the Dream I "heard" that we would be assigned to "G" which I think is on deck 4.

We haven't done a muster drill with a scooter, but we do do it with a wheelchair. The last couple of cruises out muster location was outside on the deck. We went down a little early and the crew members had my entire family wait to one side and lined the able-bodied passengers up on the other side of the door. Just before the muster drill was over, they released my daughter (in the wheelchair) and I to use the elevator while the other passengers had to wait another minute or two. They may have allowed all 4 of us to use the elevator. I can't remember because my husband and elder daughter took the stairs to our cabin anyway. :)

It seems I caused a lot off subject and most on subject. All I was trying to find out "IF" you could change, we have done the cruise before and went early and stayed late with no problems. The reason I asked is because we heard that RCL you could change, and if DCL allowed then why not

We have gone to both depending on cabin assignment. On deck 4 we were situated right by the door after we checked in. They scanned our card. The bad
thing is we were not released early and the crowds overwhelmed our ECV and wouldn't let us on the elevator.
The last few time were were in the restaurant and there was no problem waiting in the atrium until we could
get on the elevator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter