• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My 10yr DD shot a gun on a school field trip

I'm usually 100% for getting all the fact before getting upset, etc - but I would have a hard time doing that in this situation. I would be at the school first thing Monday morning. I might also call the parents of my DDs friends and see what they know? think? about the situation

...ditto.....did you ask your DD if they 'made' EVERY child take a turn at shooting the gun?? I can't believe that this took place on a field trip. After 9/11, our school board has forbidden our district from ever taking a field trip to NYC, which is such a shame because there are so many educational activities to do in 'the Big Apple'. I can't even IMAGINE the educational value of making a child shoot a gun....:confused3 TOTALLY absurd!

Is this a public school? I'd be darn p.o.'d about my tax dollars going toward a gun-shooting field trip. Beyond talking to the principal, I would be calling someone on the school board to request a full investigation. Scary.

How is your dd doing a few days after the fact? Being "forced" to do something scary (and painful) by an authority figure can be traumatizing. :hug: to her.

I just googled the park and it is a big hunting and fishing state park. You can shoot several live animals there. My DD said they were shooting disks in the air and every child (from her school) had to shoot it 5 times!! She said they made her do it 6 times! Her friends all had similar bruises on their arms. She did not make this up, we have never been shooting at anything, she is not at all knowledge about guns (she said it was a 20 gauge shot gun, not something she would know) and I don't know how she would know about shooting disks in the air. I also just remembered she doesn't have school on Monday, so I don't know if the principal will be there on Monday or not. No answer from her teacher yet (sent him an email), but it could be a school email address, not a home one. There was an article in the paper about this park and all the schools that were there on Wednesday, that's how I know about the 32 different schools being there.

I just googled the park and it is a big hunting and fishing state park. You can shoot several live animals there. My DD said they were shooting disks in the air and every child (from her school) had to shoot it 5 times!! She said they made her do it 6 times! Her friends all had similar bruises on their arms. She did not make this up, we have never been shooting at anything, she is not at all knowledge about guns (she said it was a 20 gauge shot gun, not something she would know) and I don't know how she would know about shooting disks in the air. I also just remembered she doesn't have school on Monday, so I don't know if the principal will be there on Monday or not. No answer from her teacher yet (sent him an email), but it could be a school email address, not a home one. There was an article in the paper about this park and all the schools that were there on Wednesday, that's how I know about the 32 different schools being there.

....:eek: WOW, just........wow.....

Ok, here is the article from the Omaha World Herald, it does list shotguns:

Published Wednesday April 22, 2009
Happening Now: School children head to outdoor classroom
BY JOHN KEENAN
WORLD-HERALD STAFF REPORTER

LOUISVILLE, Neb. -- More than 1,500 children in fourth and fifth grades are taking part in the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission’s two-day Youth Outdoor Expo beginning today at Platte River State Park.

Activities will include shotgun, archery, fishing, biking and more. The expo features 35 different outdoor-related activities in all. Eighty classes from 32 schools will attend.

A similar event held near Kearney last year drew about 2,500 children, prompting organizers to offer an event in eastern Nebraska, said expo coordinator Julia Plugge.

This is the first of three outdoor expos this spring, Plugge said. Expos also will be held in Scottsbluff May 6 and 7 and at the Fort Kearny Recreation Area outside of Kearrney on May 14 and 15.

While the events are geared toward school children, the Fort Kearney event will feature an "open to the public day" May 16.

For more information, go to http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/outdoorsexpo

This is very strange. I don't know where you live but here in Texas, you have to take classes to be able to use a gun if you are a minor. Both of my boys have guns and took classes, no problem. However, I would have been furious if my child was forced to fire a shotgun without any training in firearm safety and without my prior permission!!!! You need to go to the school and find out what is going on ASAP!! It is obvious that your child has no prior experience with the proper use of firearms (hence the bruise ). Whomever is responsible should be repremanded at the very least!! I would demand some explanation from the principal as well as whoever arranged the field trip. OH and what on earth does firing a shotgun have to do with earth day????????? I hope your DD is ok. If that bruise gets worse you should take her to a doctor. The "kick" from a shotgun can break a collar bone. So sorry this happened to you!! Good luck to you and your DD!!

My first thought was to make sure there were no misunderstandings and all the facts were straight, not because I don't think your daughter is lying, but because I just can't imagine what kind of fruit loop would think this is a good idea.

I am very pro gun. My DH is a firearms instructor and was certified to teach hunter's education. But, I just can't imagine not having a special permission slip for this activity.

Quote from the linked page above

Shotguns
Perform experiments as you determine, through experience, scientific principles associated with moving objects, energy, and sound. Students will have the opportunity to participate in shotgun shooting sports activities under the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission and Nebraska 4H Shooting Sports Instructors.
Funny it says "opportunity" not "required" I'm not one for lawsuits but I personally know a few police officers and I think I wouldn't bother waiting until school is back in session Tuesday. I'd call my local police officer and have them collect the facts. Your child was battered. Making her shoot 6 times without your permission and without her consent is not legal. Your child has rights and she had the right to say no and have that right respected. The school will just you some BS as will the teachers so again I'd let the proper authorities collect the facts.

I am very pro-gun; I love to shoot (targets only!!).

However, there are SO many things wrong with this. One, if a child doesn't want to shoot a gun, there's no way anybody should ever make them do it. Two, there should have been SOME warning! There's no excuse for them not to have provided the parents with information on what the kids were going to be doing and given them the ability to opt out. Three, and most importantly, NOBODY should shoot a gun of any type without having taken both gun safety and range safety classes, and having been trained on every part of the gun (and even the ammunition) and how it works. This was a bad situation all around. :sad2:

I'd call my local police officer and have them collect the facts. Your child was battered. Making her shoot 6 times without your permission and without her consent is not legal. Your child has rights and she had the right to say no and have that right respected.

I like it.

just this year in MA an 8 yr old was killed when he accidentally shot himself with an assault rifle (i am not sure which one) and his dad was right there! there is a reason why you need to be 18/21 to own guns!!!!

Yeah, those special gun show rules (or lack of rules, more specifically) helped that one happen. :headache:

We are total redneck pro-gun. There is no way in H*** I would allow my child or any child to shoot a gun w/o proper gun safety instruction. There is no way that could be done effectively on a field trip. :scared1:

I would complain in writing, starting w/ the teacher, the principal, the school board and the State.

Just when you think you've heard everything......

I'd be mad as HE**!!! I'd be firing off letters to the editor of every newspaper in my state, to the teacher, principal, school board, school district administrators, the state education board, etc. etc. I'd be PRESENT and LOUD at school on Monday (or Tuesday if no one's around on Monday), bright and early before the kids are in class. I'd be at every PTA meeting, every school board meeting, and going to the state capitol to make my displeasure known. I'd also file complaints regarding my daughter being harmed and her rights totally disregarded, and would definitely be talking to an attorney. In short, I'd be their worst nightmare.

I wonder if the park's insurance company knows about this.........I'd think the liability risk would keep this from becoming/continuing as an annual event.

My DD told me she was told she "had" to do it. Dh and I realize she may not have had to do it, but was at the very least, intimidated into doing it. She's a little girl and these were men "instructors". Either way, I'm not happy. My older son brought home a permission slip to watch a PG-13 movie of a book they just read and there in bold it talked about the things we as parents may not approve of. Same school district, so I'm not understanding why they wouldn't do the same for 4th graders shooting shotguns. I DID read the permission slip. My DD was all freaked out about ticks before going, so I read it to make sure there wasn't some big warning about ticks. Yeah, I was worried about ticks, not guns!

oh HELL no!!!! I wouldn't be so calm, and I would be standing in the principal's office when he/she arrives Monday morning and there would be hell to pay. My lawyer would be involved and it would not be pretty!

Scorch the earth is right.

Regardless of anyone's feelings on gun ownership, no one in their right mind should FORCE a child to fire a weapon of any kind, especially without parental permission. The conditions described for this outing are unsafe on so many many levels that it is mind-boggling.

please keep us posted.

I second this. And for it to be a 20ga shotgun?!? Are they absolutely freaking nuts?!?! I shot my first 20ga when I was 13. I had a bruise for two WEEKS. I'd have been knocked on my butt @ 10! No, you need to call your family's lawyer and you need to speak to the teacher, the principal and the school district superintendent. With your lawyer present.

Ok, here is the article from the Omaha World Herald, it does list shotguns:

Published Wednesday April 22, 2009
Happening Now: School children head to outdoor classroom
BY JOHN KEENAN
WORLD-HERALD STAFF REPORTER

LOUISVILLE, Neb. -- More than 1,500 children in fourth and fifth grades are taking part in the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission’s two-day Youth Outdoor Expo beginning today at Platte River State Park.

Activities will include shotgun, archery, fishing, biking and more. The expo features 35 different outdoor-related activities in all. Eighty classes from 32 schools will attend.

A similar event held near Kearney last year drew about 2,500 children, prompting organizers to offer an event in eastern Nebraska, said expo coordinator Julia Plugge.

This is the first of three outdoor expos this spring, Plugge said. Expos also will be held in Scottsbluff May 6 and 7 and at the Fort Kearny Recreation Area outside of Kearrney on May 14 and 15.

While the events are geared toward school children, the Fort Kearney event will feature an "open to the public day" May 16.

For more information, go to http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/outdoorsexpo

That little article is all fine and dandy, but the permission slip from the school should have included information about these demonstrations and activities and an "opt-out" for their child. It's my parental choice to allow my child access to items that could cause great bodily harm, up to and including death, or not. I guarantee you that if a child was injured at a shooting range with an instructor and a parent present there'd be a child services investigation to rule out child endangerment. But if it happens on a school field trip?!? Ugh, this was just royally stupid on the part of the school district. Their lawyers should be embarrassed for failing to have this information required on the permissions and with a separate release of liability form.

On Wednesday my DD went on a school field trip, it was Earth Day so it was a nature center. I signed the permission slip, I read it, read about dressing for the weather, bug spray, proper walking shoes, sack lunch with a disposable drink, etc. I didn't read anything about them shooting a 20 gauge shot gun! My DD told me she told them she didn't want to but they said she HAD to! I think I should have been given the chance as her parent to decide whether I wanted her to shoot a gun.

OMG heads would roll! You are so right to raise this issue.Please contact the school board, the PTA and even news paper if you have to. there is zero tolerance in schools for weapons. Our Sheriffs dept does presentations on safety and would NEVER consider this type of situation to happen.

This never should have been an approved trip, nor were you or any other parents made aware to say no...Also, they did not listen when you DD said NO!!!
If 1,500 parents knew the state park activities had more dangers then misquitos they would not have given consent.The trip should never have been approved nor approved without parents knowing this information........What is wrong with this world. I thought we could give schools a little credit to care for our kids...

I am Livid and I do have weapons as a Law enforcement retired, and investigator. BUT would never expose my family to them! NOT at a park, and NOT in their HANDS The risk, dangers, Let alone someone elses child.

If this happened at a friends house you would be livid, but a school that will not even use sunscreen is pure CRAZY!!!!
I know our releases even ask if a childs picture can be taken.
The poor child could be truamatized! I bet they never even gave an injury report.

I shot a 20 g during our qualifing and I had a heck of a bruise and sore arm for days. But I did shot at least 30 rounds.
I would have them make it right to your dd and publicly. Who ever put your dd at risk of injuring herself or others should be FIRED!!!!
I wish you the best,
Dianne

I also wanted to add, that as a PD I called children and youth, and charged the neighbor of a man for allowing kids to shoot a 20g shot gun. They were not his own kids he was baby sitting. The father was charged as he did not see anything wrong either....He was in the bar drinking and had the man, with no bathroom. water, feces all over watch these 7 & 10 year olds with a gun ?????? They both were charged with child endangerment

I would be raising HOLY Cane!!! How dare they force a child to shoot a shotgun!!!?!?!? I have never threatened to sue anyone but this would do it, seriously. I'd be contacting an attorney and asking them to do the inquiring. Photograph your daughter's bruise and call some of her friend's parents to ask what they know about it. That is crazy!

That little article is all fine and dandy, but the permission slip from the school should have included information about these demonstrations and activities and an "opt-out" for their child. It's my parental choice to allow my child access to items that could cause great bodily harm, up to and including death, or not. I guarantee you that if a child was injured at a shooting range with an instructor and a parent present there'd be a child services investigation to rule out child endangerment. But if it happens on a school field trip?!? Ugh, this was just royally stupid on the part of the school district. Their lawyers should be embarrassed for failing to have this information required on the permissions and with a separate release of liability form.

As a parent, it would never occur to me in a million years that the "shotgun" activity would be anything other than a demonstration by a professional, not a hands-on activity! OMG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter