My 9 month old DD swallowed a small piece of plastic

Chloe'sMom

I'm wonderful in my imperfection!
It is barely the size of the tip of my pinky finger. She didn't choke on it, and it isn't still in her mouth. In fact she drank her last bottle and went to bed wit no fuss at all. But I'm still nervous it might get stucks somewhere.

My husband was letting her play with the TIVO remote and she put it in her mouth - the plastic came off of one of the buttons.:sad2:

~Amanda

Relax, she will pass it.:) My youngest son swallowed a piece of his big brother's transformers.....:rolleyes: I took him to the doctor in a panic and he told me to be on "stool watch" and quit worrying.;)

As long as the object is smooth, small and an inert substance (like plastic) it is best just to stay on stool watch.....lol.

Congrats, you have really entered mommyhood now.

She will be fine. This happens to almost every baby. Those who say it never did to theirs, never knew about it (but it happened.) They were just none the wiser.

She is a cutie, love the siggy picture.

Hmmmm, I wonder if the mommy police will come after you for this, Amanda. Sure will be interesting. They're marking it in their books as we speak so they use it against you later. :rotfl:

Since she drank a bottle and went to bed she's probably fine. When my son swallowed something I called the doctor and was told to have him eat something soft like bread and then drink something to help ease it down. No worries Amanda!

This might be too much information, but I'm a nurse and I had a dementia patient swallow her hearing aid once! It took a few days, but it finally made it's way out and it still worked. :rotfl2:

Oh, and my daughter ate a button off the remote too.

LOL, stool watch is much more fun when crayons are involved. You will get this in a year or so.

I'm with TM2, she will pass it and be fine. My kids swallowed all kinds of crazy stuff. Money (made them more valuable), Polly Pockets (back when they were really tiny), crayons, God knows how much lint and dirt...a cricket (my youngest, and she SWORE for hours that she could still feel it moving in her belly)

Ah, memories.

{{{hugs}}}

The big question is...when she passes it, are you going to clean it and put it back on the remote or just let it be missing a number? Btw, which number was it? ;)

Yeah, welcome to mommyhood. Now you can stay up all night worrying about it and checking to see if she is breathing. You'll have the bloodshot eyes in the morning to prove it and she'll be just fine and ready to roll. ;)

Amanda, she's adorable. She'll be fine but you might want to get out the sleeping bag and camp out in her room rather than bother walking back and forth to check her.

LOL, stool watch is much more fun when crayons are involved. You will get this in a year or so.

I'm with TM2, she will pass it and be fine. My kids swallowed all kinds of crazy stuff. Money (made them more valuable), Polly Pockets (back when they were really tiny), crayons, God knows how much lint and dirt...a cricket (my youngest, and she SWORE for hours that she could still feel it moving in her belly)

Ah, memories.

{{{hugs}}}

The big question is...when she passes it, are you going to clean it and put it back on the remote or just let it be missing a number? Btw, which number was it? ;)

:rotfl: It wasn't off a number - it was off.....gasp! The TIVO button! Thankfully the button still works or else I would have had to call Direct TV in a panic as well.

Talked to the nurse's exchange - they pretty much said what you guys did. Although they want me to call the Dr. tomorrow when they open to see what they say. Thankfully she is at home with Daddy all day tomorrow :)

Stool watch....fantastic:woohoo:

~Amanda

Hey at least she's little, the button shouldn't have far to travel and should pass quickly, so it'll be a short poop patrol.

LOL, stool watch is much more fun when crayons are involved. You will get this in a year or so

Or PlayDoh. DS managed to swallow some of that a few months ago and the poison control guy was laughing at me I swear because I was so freaked out. :lmao: It's kinda funny now that I look back on it, though.

Welcome to the bad mommy club ...just joking

Every kids has to eat their weight in plastic before they reach preschool...LOL

LOL, stool watch is much more fun when crayons are involved. You will get this in a year or so

Oh yes had that happen a couple of times with DS. Both times were when someone else was watching him

When I was about 15 I was babysitting a brother and sister. I think they were about 5 and 7. Well the brother was throwing marbles at his sister wheil I was inside makign their lunch. She started to yell for me, and one went right down her throat. I freaked out and called my mom. The parents were gone all day and could not be reached (no cell phones back then). Mom called out family Dr who said basically what has been said here. If it is small enugh to go in, it is small enough to come out. He did suggest she take mineral oil for a couple of days to help lubricate it LOL

Well, I must be a really bad mommy because I found pieces of blue crayon in DD's teeth the other day and didn't do anything about it! Doesn't it say something on the package about non-toxic? Good enough for me!!

Enjoy poop watch Amanda!! Oh, and Chloe is just beautiful!

My son did this when he was 1 or so, he bit a dairy queen spoon and broke a piece off. I never did find it in his poop and it still haunts me!! He's 5 now so I guess it didn't hurt him!

The only smooth little thing you really have to worry about them swallowing is batteries- these you have to take them in for.

They always say to call the DR. in the AM it is a CYA move from the lawyers.

For what it's worth my sister's Golder Retriever ate-yes ate-3 remote controls and he is still going strong at14!

Someone said welcome to the bad Mommy club, Well honey you joined us as soon as you let your little one chew on the remote!!! The perfect Mommies fainted as soon as they saw this and never even made it to the swallowing part! Don't you know you are to sterilize it and keep it securely inside a plastic bag.

Like PAW said, crayons are good for this, as is chalk. DS has swallowed, crayons, chalk, and 2 of his baby teeth. Ah yes, the poop patrol. :rotfl:

He's 9 now, and has lived to tell the tale.

Oh dear, Amanda. Luckily, my kids never ate anything they weren't supposed to, but it sounds like poop watch has begun at your house! I hope your DH has a good time.

And thanks for charing Chloe's picture with us. She is absolutely beautiful!

Denae

More than one small magnet can cause a big problem. they could stick to each other pinching part of your child's innards between them. Have to be X-rayed and removed; there is sometimes no pain caused by the magnets before it is too late.

Also the cricket. It might bite.

More than one small magnet can cause a big problem. they could stick to each other pinching part of your child's innards between them. Have to be X-rayed and removed; there is sometimes no pain caused by the magnets before it is too late.

Also the cricket. It might bite.
It has probably passed by now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter