My afternoon/evening in a wheelchair at Epcot

In my late teens, I was in a car accident, and severed a tendon in my leg. I had a couple of operations and was in a variety of braces/crutches combos. At one point, my parents had a convention in Tennessee.......in that big convention center there.........well, it's just so huge, myparents wanted to get a wheelchair to help me out as it took so long to get to the covention hall, and then it was basically standing all day long going from exhibit to exhibit. I used that chair one day, and told myparents to turn it back in. I was run into, stood in front of, and got the whole invisibility thing, too. The first day there, on my crutches with my brace, many people talked to me about what had happened, how are you doing, can I get you anything, on and on.................when I was in the chair........nothing. Nobody asking me if they could help when I couldn't maneuver the chair or carry a tray at lunch, certainly no one asked me what had happened to my leg.........but the worst was just no one looking at me.....no smiles, no how are yous.......absolutely nothing. If they did look my way, they quickly looked away if they caught my eye. I am very friendly, and used to smiling at people and greeting them and being smiled at and greeted in return. It was quite eye-opening, especially since I was still just a teenager. I try to pass this story on to my kids often, so they will realize, too.

Okay, I have to tell my funy wheelchair story now...

I was at the mall with my then-4yo who at that time had very poor muscle tone and needed a full-support wheelchair for mobility. He is also autistic and non-verbal, so he was quite a noisy, flapping, drooling sight. Anyway, this little boy also about 4yo sees him and breaks away from his Granny. He climbs right up in DSs lap and begins talking to him. DS is like the Tar Baby--he say nothin'. Little boy tries harder, asking questions, rubbing his arms, his face, trying to get DSs attention. The boy's GM was mortified and she tried to snatch the boy away, but clearly DS waas not upset, so I asked her to stop. The little boy turns to me and says,"Why won't he talk to me?" I explained that Christian had a slow brain and it was hard for him to learn things like walking and talking, but that he tried very hard. The little boy reached up and carressed DSs mouth and said," Just open your mouth like this and let the words come out." :goodvibes

Just a side note, if that was your little boy--Christian is now 9yo and he walks very well. He still doesn't talk much, except to say "I love you" (ee-YAH!) or "go outside" (DOOR) but he signs and points. He also swims and plays keyboard, and he learned to kick a ball this year. I appreciated your son seeing past his disabilities and loving him for the "normal" boy he is inside. Dont ever hold back from making someone's day.

Cathy--mom to Christian the Amazing Wonder Boy, and his sidekick Minky-Boodle

I have read this entire thread. Thank you all for being so candid. I now know I am not crazy. Thank you for sharing your experiences.It was both enlightening and saddening to know you all have experienced the same incidents that I have. My friends tell me it is "all in my imagination". That is because they knew me before the injury.THey know I am an intelligent capable woman. When someone sees you in a wheelchair or using a cane they seem to make assumptions about you, and those assumptions are all negative.

I was injured last year in a MVA and am now disabled. I can walk a little with the cane, but could never walk around WDW. I had to rent a wheelchair or an ECV. I could not believe how rude people were. I have encountered it since using the cane, but it was worse while I was in the chair.
People try not to look at you, they avert their eyes, they bump into you, you are invisible. OH, and the smells. People think nothing of passing gas in public and guess who is eye or should I say "nose" level to it. Thats right, us. THey will aalso stand right in front of you. I had people stand right in front of me for the parade! Actually went in front of me and my chair! I asked him a few times to please move, I was at the front of the parade line and there for almost 45 minutes before the parade. He acted like he did me a big favor by moving, and then blocked my 6 year olds view. THe woman next to me was in a chair too, well she was a bit more verbal than I was, and the guy finally moved.

With the cane,I have experienced pretty much the same thing,rude behavior. I actually had a few kids in WDW touch my cane. THey moved it, pushed it up and walked under it, without any word from their parents! Imagine touching someones cane. What if I fell right down? Hey, what happened to not wanting the lady with the cane to fall down? It would be absolutely wonderful if WDW had a path for wheelchairs and people ambulating with canes.Maybe mark it with blue lines? Naw, wouldnt work, they would still run in front of us and cause us to hit the wall. Like that didnt happen atleast three times in WDW.

I do get some doors opened for me sometimes, as well as people slamming doors in my face at the mall. People will see you struggling and turn and just slam a door on you. I say I understand that you dont know if I want the door held open or need help. But ask me. Maybe I would welcome help opening that heavy door. IF I am having a good day I may not ask or need your help. But there are days I can barely make it to walk my daughter around the block to school.

The woman who wrote that people equate disability with mental deficiency had it so right. One of the other class mothers at my daughters school actually asked me if I finished school. SHe was shocked when she found out I had a Master's Degree, and praised "someone like me "for doing something like that with "well, good for you, dear". It astounds me that anyone would even ask me such a question. Well, it really shouldnt. I worked in customer service and in marketing/ sales for years. It made me rethink the percentage of people that are good and bad. Well , to be honest it is 80-20 in my book, with the bad ones way ahead of the game!

There must be a way to educate the public about physical disability. Physical disability is not mental disability. Are people afraid this could happen to them? Maybe. It did happen to me. Did I treat wheelchair bound people the way I have been treated? No. I have always cared about people's feelings. But hey, :wave: thats just me.
Let me know your thoughts,
Deeloves dis :wave: :wave: :cool1:

I've had severe arthritis since I was a toddler. Spent most of my youth getting around the best I could (or being schlepped by my parents). In my adult years I used a plain old push wheelchair (only do this if you like having arguments with chair pushers over where you should go next). For the last two years I've used a power wheelchair. (The freedom is unbelievable and fun. It feels like having your own personal E-Ticket Ride.)

Can't say I've endured as much rudeness as others on this thread have. Perhaps I'm used to the odd look or comment so ignore it. Last year I *was* trying to videotape Cinderella's Birthday Surprise Show outside the castle. I didn't want to get in the way of all the little kids clamoring up front (and sitting quietly on the ground before the show), so I stayed off to the side where the rope line was (near CMs). Sure enough as soon as the show started people jumped in front of me, climbed on top the rope barriers and blocked my shot. When one rather large guy walked right in front of me and stopped, I gave up in disgust and left (who needs footage of some guy's back).

Of course, because I left early I found myself arranging a private meeting with Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Pearla Mouse in Toon Town for my 3 yr old niece. In the end I think fate got me the better deal. :)

For every inconsiderate thing, I've experienced 3 more truly nice things from folks. I've had people scrunch up behind the parade rope line and offer me a spot even though it was less than 5 minutes to showtime. I've had people jump to hold doors for me or help me reach things in the stores.

This year we've convinced my dad (in his 70's and having leg/back problems) to rent a scooter for the week. I honestly don't think he'll be able to tour the parks without this ride. And for me, it'l be fun to see what he learns from the experience.

So many things about being disabled (bathroom doors, tight aisles in stores, crowd behavior, quantity of curb cuts, etc.) you don't think about until you have to. I think all architects, builders, and civil engineers should have to go around in wheelchairs and scooters for a week before designng their first job. I also wouldn't mind a required high school course on disability awareness (where you have to live with a "disability" for a time). First thing they'd learn is DON'T DART IN FRONT OF A MOVING VEHICLE!

As for "invisibility", I'm a gregarious person in public so I'm usually starting conversations or explaining why my body is like that before asked. Parents generally give me smiles of relief when I take over answering the tons of pesky questions their kids have.

It's not hard to banish perceived rudeness with a smile and a little niceness.

J;)

I feel like I am around family here! I have rheumatoid arthritis and it was pretty bad last September when DH and I went to WDW. I tried to be a tough 25 year old (I am otherwise very healthy...and quite "proud") and take the pain, but after touring the parks only one day, my knees had swollen up a great amount. After that day, every day DH would rent a wheelchair for me and push me around the park. I thanked him dearly every day- especially when he pushed me around for the KTTK tour! It was so hot that day! I REALLY appreciated persons who are bound to a wheelchair after that experience! It was AMAZING how people reacted (or didn't react) at times. I have my horror stories as well, and also personal issues with being confined to a wheelchair. Like I read before, I received a LOT of dirty looks after DH and I would park the wheelchair at the outside of a ride and I would walk on. *SIGH* Just because a person "LOOKS" healthy, doesn't mean they don't need a wheelchair. :wizard:

I don't know why, but my husband and I have not had the same experiences... maybe because this thread started in 2000, and perhaps have opened some people's eyes. Maybe because it wasn't me in the wheelchair, but one of our daughters. We have a daughter (Kristin) in a wheelchair, who is fully disabled. Some people label her with cp, but she doesn't have mental capacity that most cp children seem to have - can't sit up on her own, feed herself, communicate, etc. I think that she was around 8 the second time we went to Disney World, and the first time we took her on EVERY ride she was allowed to go on (we, of course, now regret not taking her on all the rides the first time we went). I don't remember having any problems that have been described here... well, not at Disney World anyway. However, we do deal with problems like this, in general -- in restaurants, especially, people crash into her chair ALL THE TIME, and it's not like it's easy to miss. I'm glad it locks in place real well, and weighs about 40 pounds, because I think people hurt themselves when the run into it (wheelchairs for juveniles do not fold up, nor are they light). I guess part of the reason why we had such a good time was because we traveled with friends, but also because we got that special pass that allowed us to bypass most of the lines (which I had to beg for last time - Spring Break)... I think that some people must abuse this pass, since they seem to be VERY hesitant to give them out. And I don't think that we got too many odd looks or jealous stares, because Kristin is OBVIOUSLY disabled. I don't know anyone who would wish they had a kid like this just to avoid the lines. We never used the pass if Kristin wasn't going on the ride (just like the handicap parking tag - it's just not fair to do that). The CM's come up to her ALL THE TIME and talk to her and cuddle with her, and she loves it. And she LOVES the rides -- this kid spends most of her time in some kind of seating/standing aparatus or lying on the floor, so I can see why the motion is exciting to her. And the more dramatic, the better, she laughed like CRAZY when I practically crushed her in the runaway train ride. We are planning another trip to DW in December (this will be our 4th trip there). Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, yes it is probably an eye opener to be in a wheel chair when you are not normally, but if you are always in one, you learn to cope. Or ignore the rudeness, or whatever. I will have to try to pay more attention next time... but I bet I'm just to excited about being there to do it!!!

Here is an article by Chet that describes his first adult experience at WDW. I think that you will enjoy it.

http://allearsnet.com/pl/mev_chet2.htm

My friends always ask if I am going to WDW again. They ask why. I say that I feel welcome there. The castmembers look at me, and talk to me, and treat me like I am any other guest...with a smile and kindness.

I have two daughters with Cystic Fibrosis. The heat is extremely dangerous for them so they really should not wait on the lines. I had heard that Disney was not allowing people with disabilities to go to the head of the line. Is that still true??

Both of my girls just had surgery. My 8 yr old has not recovered very well and her Dr told me that if we still went on the trip she would need to be in a wheelchair. Do they have alot of wheelchairs to rent? Do you need proof to get one? Any info would be helpful. Thanks. Debra :sad2:

I really appreciate being able to access this post, even though it is an old one. 6 months ago my husband was in a near fatal motor vehicle accident. The doctors did not know if he would ever walk again. Well, prior to the accident we had booked out trip for this month, and we'll be able to go, however my husband will need to use a scooter. It helps to be prepared for some challenges we may face so can make a choice not to let them ruin our trip!

TumFamily said:
I have two daughters with Cystic Fibrosis. The heat is extremely dangerous for them so they really should not wait on the lines. I had heard that Disney was not allowing people with disabilities to go to the head of the line. Is that still true??
What you want to ask about is a Guest Assistance Card (we call it a GAC to avoid typing so much). It is not meant to (and never was a front of the line pass). What it is meant to be is a tool to let the CMs know what sort of assistance is needed by a person with a disability (especially if it is an invisible disability). What you do is go to Guest Realtions/Guest Services in any of the parks and explain your daughter's needs (in their case, it would be to avoid waiting in the hot sun). They will be given a card with an appropriate message for their needs. That card will be good for the lenght of your stay in all the parks. Just what happens when you show the card will depend on the attraction, the time of day and how busy it is. If it is not busy and the regular (standby) line is less than 20 minutes, you may just be sent into that line to wait. Most of the lines are shaded and some (even outdoor ones) are air conditioned.
Both of my girls just had surgery. My 8 yr old has not recovered very well and her Dr told me that if we still went on the trip she would need to be in a wheelchair. Do they have alot of wheelchairs to rent? Do you need proof to get one? Any info would be helpful. Thanks. Debra :sad2:
They do have quite a few wheelchairs to rent and you don't need any proof to rent one, but depending on the size of your 8 year old, the wheelchairs for rent in the parks may not be the best size for her. For most young children, an adult wheelchair will have a seat that is too deep and too wide, footrests that are too low and armrests that are too high. That might be OK for a short time, but for a whole day, it gets uncomfortable. She might be better off using a stroller (they have sizes to fit up to small 12 year olds) or renting either a special needs stroller or a small adult wheelchair from one of the off-site vendors (check the disABILITIES FAQs thread). You can get a GAC that allows a stroller to be used as a wheelchair.

My son :sunny: is 27 years old and we live in Orlando, so we go to the parks ALL the time! He has cp and a seizure disorder and low vision, but he has the BEST times! He loves :love: the music, and the shows and the buses and boats.
But I have a real problem with The Land at EPCOT. They completely remodeled the whole interior and added Soaring, (which we love!) but there's still a big hill to push the wheelchair up and then down when you get inside, and THEN you have to take the one and ONLY elevator! It's just not convenient. I am surprised they didn't rethink the elevator thing! :love:

cquick said:
But I have a real problem with The Land at EPCOT. They completely remodeled the whole interior and added Soaring, (which we love!) but there's still a big hill to push the wheelchair up and then down when you get inside, and THEN you have to take the one and ONLY elevator! It's just not convenient. I am surprised they didn't rethink the elevator thing! :love:
That is disappointing. I had heard rumors that they were going to add some more elevators (by the escalators). Too bad they didn't.

On a prior trip in 2003 my mom had to use a wheel chair because of an injury. The staff were wonderful and would offer us to stay on a ride a second time so we wouldn't have to go through the line maneuvering a wheel chair or the lines were cut a lot shorter due to the wheel chair.

I think I remember having just a few issues of just not being seen or "overlooked". Reading this thread has opened my eyes a bit more and I want to say thanks for my learning a lot about this subject.

Help I am a Disney veteran but do not know what to do about my DW.
We have paid for and planned this trip for a long while. Since that time my DW has become pregnant. She had a difficult pregnancy with my first born, as she is now. We are scheduled to arrive at the Poly for a week on June 7. Because of her condition she can stand or walk for only short distances at a time due to blood pressure and circulatory problems. She plans to stay in the room the whole trip as not to spoil our vacation with my DS-6 and DD-9. We will miss her and not enjoy ourselves without her. Is there a place to rent a wheel chair in the park or at the resort? And her not being permanantly disabled is this O.k. I am willing to push her around anywhere she wants to go. But if she is able to get up from her chair to get on an appropriate attraction is this going to be offensive to those who must always use a wheelchair? We do not want any special treatment but we do not want to offend anyone either. I am not sure if there is any other solution. Do they rent electric scooters anywhere at WDW?
Any help or input will be greatly appreciated. :confused3 :confused3

Click on where it says "disABILITIES" at the top of this page; it will take you to the index. The 4th item down is the "disABILITIES FAQ" with lots of information about ECVs and wheelchairs.

Our general recommendation is that she rent an ECV from an off-site company as: they are better, they are available at all times including the hotel and Downtown Disney, and for six or more days they cost are less than you would pay Disney. This way she does not have to be pushed and you can chase/control the two kids.

Here are some questions you can ask yourself, and the suggested answers.

Is she disabled, even temporarily? Yes.

Does everyone in your group know she is disabled? Yes.

Do you expect to meet anyone you know (who does not know she is disabled) on your trip? No.

Do you expect to meet many people who don't know you on this trip and who will probably never meet you again. Yes.

Do you have any reason to care what any of these people think? Definitely NO!

Will her having and using an ECV make for a better vacation for everyone in your family? Yes.

:moped: There's absolutely NO PROBLEM for you and your family at WDW. The parks all have wheelchairs to rent as well as electric scooters. Although I agree with Cheshire Figment: She SHOULD rent an ECV from one of the vendors who will deliver the scooter to your hotel for you and then they will pick it up after you are finished with it. That way she would have the use of it all the time. The resorts are large, and the distances from one place to another might be too far for her. She must reserve as much energy as she can. And DON'T worry about what "other people" might think......lots of pregnant women have trouble getting around, and her health is the most important thing. Most of the WDW transportation is very accomodating for the electrified scooters, although she'll have to transfer to most of the attractions, but the cast members are very helpful. Be sure to bring umbrellas for the sun and the rain, and have an extra poncho for the scooter.

You'll have a GREAT time!!!! :flower:

Hey, thanks alot Cheshire and Quick. I will find an offsite rental this will really help. Thats why the Dis boards are so great. there is always someone with a good answer or tip.

Again thanks for the input. :sunny: :moped:

I was gone over the weekend without computer access, but just wanted to add to the voices saying you should rent an ecv from one of the off-site companies. There are lots of people with temporary disabilities who do need ecvs or wheelchairs.

SueM in MN said:
I was gone over the weekend without computer access, but just wanted to add to the voices saying you should rent an ecv from one of the off-site companies. There are lots of people with temporary disabilities who do need ecvs or wheelchairs.

Thanx again, that seems to be the best way to go. My DW will have a much better time. :goodvibes

I'm getting nervous. We leave on the 12th for a whole week at CR. We haven't been to Disney since 1986. Two weeks ago I broke my foot. I don't have a cast but the dr. said he would only let me go on our vacation if I agreed to use a wheelchair in the theme parks. He doesn't want me over doing it while we're there. Everyone at work said they thought I would do great so we decided to go ahead with our trip. Now I'm nervous that it will be awful. I can walk short distances but 7 whole days on my broken foot would not be good. I can't even wear a regular shoe yet. I will be able to swim though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter