My Dad Passed Away Friday

smokeyblue

DIS Veteran
My dad passed away Friday morning. He had an extremely rare and aggressive form of brain cancer and everything that could be done was done. Over the last 7 months we lost bits and pieces of him little by little, but we were really lucky that he didn't have a lot of side effects from treatment and we were able to enjoy the time we had left. His final decline in health was swift and merciful and he passed away at home with my mother and I at his side.

My dad was just a good guy. He was absolutely unfailing as a father. I could never enumerate all the things he's done to give me comfort, happiness, security and independence. He was a very smart businessman and negotiator and used his talents for the good serving as a public school administrator his entire career. Besides family and business his passions included camping, the outdoors and anything with a motor. The last several years him and my mom enjoyed several winters at an RV resort in Florida every winter where they had a flourishing social life. Although I will miss him desperately I take comfort that he was able to live such a fulfilling life and has provided me with the tools I need to carry on.

Thanks for letting me share.

Praying for your family! Your description sounds like he was a wonderful man and I’m sure he will be missed by many people! Hugs!

I too am sorry for your loss. My mom passed a few years back. The last time I saw her was at Disney. It was sudden and totally unexpected. I didn't get to really say goodbye. I'm glad that you got closure. It's great that you are celebrating his life instead of only mourning your loss. Truly, he did give you the tools to succeed in life and be happy.

My deepest condolences. I can tell how great a dad you had just by the impression of him he left on you. God bless!

Thanks for letting me share.
And share you did, because he did. What wonderful words you expressed about your dad, his life, how he was with others. And that is what life is all about. Your thoughts will be lifetime memories, forever memories, smokeblue. :hug:'s He sounds like a wonderful man, an inspiration to you, to many.

My condolences to you, your family, his friends. Prayers for you all, God speed for your dad.

I'm very sorry for your loss. My dad passed away at home from cancer last year. He was vibrant, healthy, witty, and should have lived until he was 100 years old. Cancer is a horrible thing. Your father sounded like a wonderful person and he will definitely live on through you. Sending positive thoughts to you and your family!

“There's a club. The Dead Dads Club. And you can't be in it until you're in it. You can try to understand, you can sympathize. But until you feel that loss...”
-Christina from Grey’s Anatomy

I don’t share that quote with you to be cruel, but because when my dad died it was honestly the most comforting thing I’d heard at that time. I’m so sorry you have go through this and experience this pain.

So very sorry for your loss. Your Dad sounds like a wonderful person. Sending prayers to all of your family in this time of sadness.

Sincere condolences. :grouphug: I must say you’ve given him a very lovely and touching eulogy here and I hope the warm memories of the blessings and love he gave you will be a comfort in the coming days, although it is a very great loss. There are few things more important in the life of a girl than having a strong, loving father and I’m glad you had one. Grace and peace to you and your family.:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter