My DD(13) is going to DLP with her (non-Disney-loving) grandparents…any tips?

indyannamom

Mouseketeer
My mom and her husband are taking my youngest daughter (13) to Paris and I told them it would be a bucket list level surprise if they took her to DLP too.

My husband and I, and our three children, are huge Disney fans. We vacation to WDW often and Disney is everywhere in our house. My mom and her husband are not. We had them come to WDW with us once, and they liked sharing something we love with us, but have no interest in going back.

I’m so excited that DD is getting this opportunity, but I have never been to DLP and am struggling to help my mom plan things. It would be easier if I could talk to DD about it, but she won’t know they’re going until the day they go.

I would love any advice anyone can share.

A couple of specific questions:
DD will want stuff (pins, ears, and a shirt or something) but won’t know to save for it, so trying to arrange spending money for her.

Do Disney gift cards work at DLP?
How is merchandise priced compared to the US?

When my mom and her husband joined us at WDW I planned everything (including reservations and all else in MDE) and they just came with.
What are things I need to make sure they plan in advance?

What else should I encourage them to do/see?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can share!

Last edited:
Do Disney gift cards work at DLP?
No Disney Gift Cards do not work in Disneyland Paris. The currency in France is Euros € . The best thing to do would be to see if you can get an international pre paid money card and load that with spending money for her.

I use one for my trips to USA. The one I have uses the Mastercard system and I have used it in California for restaurants, shops etc. I load it with US dollars and can top up online.

How is merchandise priced compared to the US?
I haven't been to Disneyland Paris for a few years but from what I can remember, the numbers are basically the same. If a pin in Walt Disney World costs $9.99 then in Disneyland Paris the same pin will cost €9.99. The only difference will be the sales tax. In America the sales tax is added at the till so the pin in Walt Disney World is $9.99 plus tax. In Europe the sales tax is included in the display price, so in Disneyland Paris pin will cost €9.99.

For your other questions I'm sure people who have been recently will be able to help you :)

I find the merchandise to be a bit cheaper in DLP than DW. If you know the things she normally likes and budget for them in terms of DW prices you should have a little over. You could book the restaurants for them in the app beforehand. Depending on budget they can purchase Premier Pass for different rides but I would say to not miss Big Thunder, Phantom Manor, Pirates, Crush Coaster and Ratatouille

Before we get into anything about rides and shows... how active are the grandparents?
Will they enjoy shows or rides?

It is a pity (in a way) it will be a surprise trip. So she cannot look up in advance what she will like. Preparation is key for WDW/DL veterans going to DLP.

Merchandise is at a different level at DLP in comparison to the US or Asian park. Especially when it comes to clothing and ears, they don't sell that well, so there is less variety.
Sizing is also different in France. I think XXL is the largest size and a French XXL is not the same as a US XXL.
If she likes pins I assume the DLP / French pins will be what she would like for a souvenir and those are available in several shops.

Last edited:

Good questions @Karin1984 !
Both grandparents are physically fit and can do plenty of walking. My mom doesn’t enjoy rides but will go on some of the slower ones. Her husband will gladly go on any rides with my DD (who could also ride by herself if need be).

I agree about the surprise and that she won’t be able to research and plan for herself. But it’s what they want to do, and it’s an opportunity she wouldn’t otherwise get…so a surprise is better than no DLP.

Good tip on the size differences. I know that they run different but might not have remembered to tell her.

Ok, we are talking a one day visit, staying off site, 13 year Disney lover and her active grandparents who are not into Disney.
That's a mixed bag we have here and I needed to think what I would advise. Is this trip during the Summer holidays?

Do they love shows?
If yes, I would say to do either Mickey and the Magician in the Studios or Rhythm of the Pride Lands in the park.
Both shows have a 15 euro fee for guaranteed access and great seats. With this they can arrive relatively late and still get a good spot. These two shows are top quality I think both Disney and non-Disney lovers will enjoy.

If they stay all night, I would definitely advise to see Disney D-light, the drone show for the 30th anniversary.

Restaurants,
Normally, I say no to table service on a one-day visit as table service can take a long time in France. But with your group the adults might light a sit down lunch or dinner. I would suggest either Remy's in the Studios or Captain Jack's in the park. It definitely has above average food and ambience both age groups will like.
I wouldn't try to get a reservation at Walt's, it's to upscale for a 13 year old and probably too slow.
Victoria's in the park might also be a good place for milkshakes and snacks.

In Disney Village Annette's Diner or King Ludwig's Castle are always good options. These two don't take reservations.

Rides:
Big Thunder Mountain and Crush Coaster are the ones she will definitely not want to miss. Crush is slow loading and therefore has long lines, I would suggest to buy a premier access pass for your daughter, or try the single rider's line if open.
Pirates and Phantom Manor should also be at the top of their list.
Americans are usually amazed by the dragon under the castle. There are also several distractions the adults might enjoy, in the two arcades (covered walkways parallel to Main Street) are some 'exhibits' about the US at the turn of the previous century. If your daughter and mother's husband go on Big Thunder Mountain, maybe the River boat is something to do for your mother in the meantime.

Skip: Route 66 for sure. Not worth their time. Autopia is not really for this age group, but if they are thinking about it, it's extremely slow loading.

What they (or you) could do is buy your daughter and your mother's husband a premier access pass, 90 euro for 12 rides, and your mother individual premier access passes for the smaller rides she wants to join.

I don't know how much time you have and how creative you are. But maybe you can create a little (digital) booklet with information and tips for your daughter you can give to her when they leave?

Remember A European Travel Plug / Adapter ( a 2 pin Round )

Also Try and have a Chip & Pin Bank Card ( With the Tip & Tap Facility )

And Know how to Use your Smart Phone to make payments

Thank you for all the suggestions!!!

It’s not the trip I would plan, but it’s at least a little touch of Disney.

They are just going for one day, traveling to and from Paris the same day. Will be the first or second week of June. I told my mom about the holiday and suggested they avoid that day and weekend days.

I do plan on putting something together for my DD to look through once they tell her.

I can go over stuff with my mom but much of it will go over her head because she’s not into the parks the way we are. Hoping I can convey to my DD what she needs to know and encourage her to enjoy the visit for what it is…an opportunity we otherwise wouldn’t be able to give her!

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted replies. My DD got home last week from her trip and had a great time.

I convinced my mom to tell my DD a couple days in advance and put together a packet of info for them to look over and plan.

DD loved it, says it’s not the trip she knows it would have been with DH and me, but it was a great opportunity just the same!

Thanks again for the help!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter