My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

OKay, time to show how uninformed I am when it comes to food! LOL I'm a simple gal. Give me some pizza and diet Pepsi and I could live happily ever after. ;)

But, on an upcoming trip we are eating at Blue Bayou and I am interested in the Tesoro Island Chicken. It's described as: Blackened, roasted and finished to perfection in pan au jus. Choice of two sides: Blue Bayou potatoes, seasonal vegetables or sauteed spinach.

Ok, what does it mean by blackened? And what is pan au jus?? :confused3 And exactly what are Blue Bayou potatoes?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Oh, and does anyone have any pics of it?? That would be great. :) Too bad I can't get a corn dog or chimi at BB. Then I'd be a really happy camper. LOL

Blackened means that they coat the chicken with spices (but at DL I don't think it's too spicy). They then put it in a pan with a litle oil and "Pan Fry" it on both sides. Once they remove the chicken, they will add liquid to the pan to get the crunchies off the bottom of the pan and make a light suace. That will then go on top of the chicken
The Bayou potatoes are like scalloped potaotos- very yummy. And their spinach is out of this world!!!

100_2596.jpg

Beth, here is a picture of the Tesoro Island chicken

Blackened means that they coat the chicken with spices (but at DL I don't think it's too spicy). They then put it in a pan with a litle oil and "Pan Fry" it on both sides. Once they remove the chicken, they will add liquid to the pan to get the crunchies off the bottom of the pan and make a light suace. That will then go on top of the chicken
The Bayou potatoes are like scalloped potaotos- very yummy. And their spinach is out of this world!!!
Mmmmm, that does sound good! And I love scalloped potatoes. Thanks for that info. Although I might just have to take your word for it on the spinach. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Beth, here is a picture of the Tesoro Island chicken
Oooooh, thanks for posting that. I'm one of those who likes a visual of her food beforehand. :rotfl2: It looks really good. ::yes::

Mmmmm, that does sound good! And I love scalloped potatoes. Thanks for that info. Although I might just have to take your word for it on the spinach. :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Oooooh, thanks for posting that. I'm one of those who likes a visual of her food beforehand. :rotfl2: It looks really good. ::yes::

The potatos are really yummy!

Food pics from September – I should have posted these sooner, but I get kind of down after coming home after DS. *sigh* ;)

(Trip was me & BFF, so there were lots of sharesies, yay!)

Ralph Brennan’s was so so SO GOOD. Best sit-down place we went. We just got appetizers and shared dessert, so it wasn’t too expensive, either.

Loaded baked potato & BBQ springroll:
l_0cd6babeb01121072d4033379c59fb01.jpg

Salad w/ pecans & Blackened Catfish Sliders:
l_50d291003789136e9c491b79c365c2f7.jpg

Chocolate Bread Pudding SO SO GOOD:
l_8a655177e696a499d93c6e656e58b86e.jpg

Café Orleans – Pomme Frites & Monte Cristo – we shared, so it was a nice place to sit and not too expensive. Yum yum.
l_598292e192a9beddb0cdddf844659995.jpg

Sundae at the Golden Horseshoe:
l_df6b1c5eb4dccc114195be21b6d1b480.jpg

Tortilla Jo’s – we went there twice, once to sit down and once to the taqueria. When we sat down I got the vegetarian enchilada & rice. (Cilantro rice = amazing) It was good, fast, and inexpensive. The Taqueria was the deal of the trip! So yummy and inexpensive, and you get a decent amount of food, too! Tacos & Beef Nachos (YUM) –
l_7d8f98c7bcf2785ccd761a52641ae08f.jpg

Ralph Brennan’s express – breakfast of champions! Beignets and a COKE ICEE, in true southern style.
l_dd8e999e6c791f6c5da8f2565bd3170d.jpg

That's it for now...
We went to Blue Bayou, and it was “okay.” I don’t think we’ll go there next time, but I’m not turned off for life or anything; we just want to try a lot of different things. It was disappointing that we couldn’t order something small(er) like a salad, and our table wasn’t great, of course it was expensive, and the service was a little iffy. I’m not judging, though – I’m sure if we went again there would be an equal chance of it being great. :) Didn’t post any pics of it, though, because I think it’s been covered, hehe.
Other than these pics, we sampled pretzels, cinnamon rolls, corn dogs, *A* tigger tail, and lots of ice tea, mmmm. We also tried the soup AND salad bowls at Pacific Wharf, and they were great. Mmm, now I’m a-jonesin’ for DL foods.

Food pics from September – I should have posted these sooner, but I get kind of down after coming home after DS. *sigh* ;)

That's it for now...
We went to Blue Bayou, and it was “okay.” I don’t think we’ll go there next time, but I’m not turned off for life or anything; we just want to try a lot of different things. It was disappointing that we couldn’t order something small(er) like a salad,

So you can't just order appetisers or salads there? is there a minimum charge or do you just have to order an entree?

We wanted to try Blue Bayou last October so my friend could see the inside of the restaurant (I had already been there a long time ago), but we didn't want a meal there. So we just ordered dessert and had no problems (except it was too much dessert and I wouldn't go back there for that again). Maybe they have stopped letting people do that now??:confused3 There were rumors a while back stating that they were going to stop letting people do dessert only. I could see if they took actual, real 'reservations,' where they held tables for people and essentially lost money on diners just wanting a salad or a dessert, when they could have other folks at the table ordering a BIG meal. BUt they DON'T take REAL reservations. They don't hold tables for anyone. It is simply Priority Seating, which really means very little in the grand scheme of things. So in that case, I would think the BB would be happy continuing to allow folks to order dessert or salad only because they would still get SOME money from them but the people would probably leave the table a lot sooner than they would if they ordered a full meal, allowing someone else to sit at the table and order more food.

So you can't just order appetisers or salads there? is there a minimum charge or do you just have to order an entree?

You can order just appetizers. But they do not have soup or salads on the menu. They only come with an entree and cannot be ordered a la carte

We definitely wanted salads, and perhaps appetizers, but we were told "no." Ehh, the guy we got was kinda lame. We did get dessert, but since we had really wanted salads and nothing too heavy (it was a hot day!), only eating dessert kind of threw us off for the afternoon. Boo.

*shrug*

We definitely wanted salads, and perhaps appetizers, but we were told "no." Ehh, the guy we got was kinda lame. We did get dessert, but since we had really wanted salads and nothing too heavy (it was a hot day!), only eating dessert kind of threw us off for the afternoon. Boo.

*shrug*

The problem is they do not have salads on the menu. It is posted outside. They can't sell what's not on the menu. We were there in November and everyone in ouor group ordered a meal but I just wanted a salad and an appetizer. The waiter just said they don't have it on the menu and a salad only comes with an entree. Their computer system does not allow them to add a salad or soup. So I ordered DD an adult entree so I could have her salad, one of her sides and my appetizer. The restaurant is what it is. It isn't like a regular restaurant. We still ate there twice on our last trip and it is a never miss when we go. I would recommend splitting a meal if you want something not so heavy.

The problem is they do not have salads on the menu. It is posted outside. They can't sell what's not on the menu. We were there in November and everyone in ouor group ordered a meal but I just wanted a salad and an appetizer. The waiter just said they don't have it on the menu and a salad only comes with an entree. Their computer system does not allow them to add a salad or soup. So I ordered DD an adult entree so I could have her salad, one of her sides and my appetizer. The restaurant is what it is. It isn't like a regular restaurant. We still ate there twice on our last trip and it is a never miss when we go. I would recommend splitting a meal if you want something not so heavy.

That's fine - I had already said I would probably go there again sometime and I'm not trying to sway others away from it or anything. I'm just saying that it wasn't very clear and that it would have been nice for us to have a waiter more like yours! For those prices, I want to feel taken care of, at least a little! ;) I'm glad things were good when you went, though! :) You are right, it is what it is.

I just finished reading all 79 pages (it took about a week:lmao: ) and I am sooo excited. I have been to disney world many times, but I will be taking my first trip to disneyland in May. Since I will only be in disney for 2 days, I had planned on only eating counter service to save time, but after looking through all of these pages, I don't think I can pass up the monte cristo at Cafe Orleans, haha. Also, a lot of those sweets from the pooh place look amazing, but I won't be able to eat them all there (or at least that wouldn't be a very good idea:rotfl2: ), does anyone know if they can pack things to go (like the apples or tigger tails)? Thanks! This is such a wonderful thread. I can't wait to share my own pics:)

I just finished reading all 79 pages (it took about a week:lmao: ) and I am sooo excited. I have been to disney world many times, but I will be taking my first trip to disneyland in May. Since I will only be in disney for 2 days, I had planned on only eating counter service to save time, but after looking through all of these pages, I don't think I can pass up the monte cristo at Cafe Orleans, haha. Also, a lot of those sweets from the pooh place look amazing, but I won't be able to eat them all there (or at least that wouldn't be a very good idea:rotfl2: ), does anyone know if they can pack things to go (like the apples or tigger tails)? Thanks! This is such a wonderful thread. I can't wait to share my own pics:)

They sure do. I always come home with a stash of candy creations. They don't last nearly as long as I plan for them too though. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter