My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures

That meal from Paradise Grill looks amazing!!! Maybe that will be where we eat Tuesday when we are in DCA and the kids can have pizza from right next door!

It's a great location. The seating is for both restaurants. They also have a Gyro and a Greek Salad.

I haven't had the Royal Street Veranda gumbo is quite a while, but I recall it being very different from the one at Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans. It's a steak gumbo (instead of chicken and andouille sausage), so it's much darker in color. My notes says that it had good flavor, but there was a slight bite (and the bread bowl was a pretty typical bread bowl).

Last month I was at DCA with friends and we had lunch at my favorite QS place in the park Paradise Garden Grill.

I had the Spicy Meatball (the menu used to read Kefta, but I guess not many people knew what that was) with Pita, Rice Pilaf, Tzatziki and Cucumber Salad. This is one of my favorite meals on property.

Another friend had the Lemon Oregano Chicken also with Pita, Rice Pilaf, Tzatziki and Cucumber Salad.

And our last friend got the Spicy Meatballs with Pita, Rice Pilaf, Chimichurri, and Cucumber Salad.

This makes me really happy! I thought I read that place was closing!

@figment_jii , I would love your thoughts/opinion on the gumbo from Royal Street Veranda if you have tried it!

You didn't ask me, but I love the veggie gumbo from there! I haven't had the ones with meat, but it's delicious! You can also get it without the bread bowl. I know, I know...why would anyone do that. I love bread bowls, but sometimes that's just too much food for me.

Has anyone tried the Fall Menu item - Loaded Potatoes at the River Belle Terrace? I have a reservation before MHP but I am not sure if it would be worth a whole sit down meal or if I should go for something quicker. Pictures would also be great if you have them. Thanks!!!

I haven't had the Royal Street Veranda gumbo is quite a while, but I recall it being very different from the one at Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans. It's a steak gumbo (instead of chicken and andouille sausage), so it's much darker in color. My notes says that it had good flavor, but there was a slight bite (and the bread bowl was a pretty typical bread bowl).

You didn't ask me, but I love the veggie gumbo from there! I haven't had the ones with meat, but it's delicious! You can also get it without the bread bowl. I know, I know...why would anyone do that. I love bread bowls, but sometimes that's just too much food for me.

Thank you both! I really appreciate it!

The items that are specifically for Halloween time are likely to disappear right after Halloween, but some of the more non-Halloween Fall items might still be around. They are also likely to introduce some new items for the Holidays, but those might not appear until the Holidays start.

It would be a bonus to experience a few Fall and/or Holiday treats! thank you!

Our last two days I've gotten to try some things that were on my bucket list! Today is our last day here so I'll share soon...

Two negative reviews. (Sorry to be a downer):

1. River Belle Terrace

If you are a strict vegetarian thinking of going to River Belle Terrace, I recommend not going.

My friend who is vegan wanted to try the BBQ tofu at River Belle Terrace. Upon ordering, they told us that it is fried in the same fryer as the meat, but they could bake it for us. We went with that option, and ordered tater tots - they didn't mention anything about those, so we thought those would be safe. About 10 minutes later, the server comes back to let us know that the tots are also fried in the fryer with meat. My friend just said "whatever" and said he'll take the tater tots, we just won't come back here again.

When we got our plates, it was literally just cubed tofu straight from the package, with a little seasoning salt on top and the side of tots. No BBQ sauce, no browning, nothing. It did not look like they baked it at all, and it was room temperature. While I was sort of annoyed with my friend (because we do order fries from other places sometimes and they definitely use one fryer), the attempt at a vegetarian meal here was just plain sad and a terrible value, even for Disney. I just kept laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of just cubing up plain tofu, and serving that for $20 - I couldn't believe that they would literally just plop plain tofu and call that an entree. Why even have a vegetarian option if you're not going to take the steps to make it actually vegetarian?! I can't imagine, many people who are not vegetarians ordering it.

2. Frozen Cherry Coke near Stage 17

This was terrible! It tasted just stale and flat, like it was missing carbonation. I threw 90% of it away.

Two negative reviews. (Sorry to be a downer):

1. River Belle Terrace

If you are a strict vegetarian thinking of going to River Belle Terrace, I recommend not going.

My friend who is vegan wanted to try the BBQ tofu at River Belle Terrace. Upon ordering, they told us that it is fried in the same fryer as the meat, but they could bake it for us. We went with that option, and ordered tater tots - they didn't mention anything about those, so we thought those would be safe. About 10 minutes later, the server comes back to let us know that the tots are also fried in the fryer with meat. My friend just said "whatever" and said he'll take the tater tots, we just won't come back here again.

When we got our plates, it was literally just cubed tofu straight from the package, with a little seasoning salt on top and the side of tots. No BBQ sauce, no browning, nothing. It did not look like they baked it at all, and it was room temperature. While I was sort of annoyed with my friend (because we do order fries from other places sometimes and they definitely use one fryer), the attempt at a vegetarian meal here was just plain sad and a terrible value, even for Disney. I just kept laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of just cubing up plain tofu, and serving that for $20 - I couldn't believe that they would literally just plop plain tofu and call that an entree. Why even have a vegetarian option if you're not going to take the steps to make it actually vegetarian?! I can't imagine, many people who are not vegetarians ordering it.

2. Frozen Cherry Coke near Stage 17

This was terrible! It tasted just stale and flat, like it was missing carbonation. I threw 90% of it away.

That is just crazy! I ate there last year and wasn't really impressed, but I wouldn't expect that.

Figment’s Halloween Escapades (October 2016)
Figment and his family went to Disneyland to celebrate HalloweenTime. It was sad to see of the sparkly blue 60th Anniversary decorations gone, but HalloweenTime is one of Figment’s favorite times of the year. He went to the first Mickey's Halloween Party (lots of fun) and, of course, tried lots of yummy foods!

Cove Bar, Lunch
Figment returned to the Cove Bar, this time for lunch. The wait was about 45 minutes (they did ask if we wanted a table in the sun, which were less popular and had a shorter wait, but we said we'd rather wait for a table in the shade). They were't doing the text message system, so we had to wait in line. We were seated at almost the same table as the previous visit (it would have been great for World of Color!).

Fajita Quesadilla Rolls - Grilled Flour Tortilla rolled with Chicken, Onions, Peppers, and Jack and Cheddar Cheese with Guajillo Sauce, Chipotle Crema, and Avocado Relish. These rolls had good flavor and weren't very spicy.
DSC_0324_zpsawoewq5n.jpg

CB Lobster Nachos - Tender Lobster Pieces atop fresh House-made Tortilla Chips with Black Beans, Pico de Gallo, Chipotle Crema, and our Signature Aged Cheddar and Oaxaca Cheese Sauce. These are Figment's favorite item at the Cove Bar. Lots of yummy lobster!
DSC_0329_zpsbxwiuorq.jpg

DSC_0328_zpsnj7pkxro.jpg

Trio of Tri-Tip Sliders - Mojo Criollo with Crispy Onions, Barbecue with Tangy Slaw, and Bacon with Arugula and Blue Cheese served on Toasted Brioche. These were new to Figment. The sliders were very tender and had good flavor. His favorite was the Mojo Criollo with Cripsy Onions!
DSC_0330_zpsdvhixpjr.jpg

Cafe Orleans, Lunch
Cafe Orleans is one of Figment's favorite places to have lunch. It has great food and it's a great place to people watch. Along with the regular menu, they did have a few special HalloweenTime offerings.
DSC_0001_zpsyul1ih9k.jpg

DSC_0004_zps6ikg9fmw.jpg

Mint Julep - This is Figment's favorite drink at Cafe Orleans!
DSC_0006_zpslgk8fzdv.jpg

Pommes Frites - Traditional French Fried Potatoes tossed with Parmesan, Garlic, and Parsley served with Cajun Spice Rémoulade. Every meal at Cafe Orleans should start with the Pommes Frites! They're so good!
DSC_0009_zpsvfbthsrk.jpg

New Orleans Gumbo - A rich, flavorful Stew with Chicken, Andouille Sausage, and Tasso Ham served with Louisiana Rice. This is Figment's other favorite item at Cafe Orleans. The gumbo has a nice deep flavor, with lots of big chunks of chicken, sausage, and ham. Yum!
DSC_0019_zpsbt48yfvs.jpg

Grilled Flat Iron Steak - Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Haricot Vert, and Peppercorn-Cognac Sauce. Figment had this previously and really liked it, so he made sure to have it again this year. The steak was very tender and the sauce was really yummy. The deep fried scallion was kind of odd...but it made for a very impressive presentation!
DSC_0015_zpskfebsneq.jpg

Tell Figment thanks for me.
Will do! :goodvibes

I really gotta stop reading this thread before lunch time! That Cafe Orleans meal looks perfect!

I just finished a weekend at the Disneyland Resort. While I ate a lot of food, only remember to take pictures of one meal. Fortunately it was the best one...Napa Rose chef's counter.

Before I get to that, the other highlights were the Plaza Inn and Whitewater snacks. I had Fried Chicken (just got two ala carte breasts and a salad), but I also tried the special rainbow cake and the pot roast. All of those were delicious. At Whitewater snacks, I got a Carnitas burger, which was a burger topped with carnitas pork, guac and pico de gallo. It was meat overload, but pretty good for a Disney burger.

Now, onto the good stuff...

I've eaten at the Chef's Counter on at least 6 or 7 occasions. The first experiences were amazing - some of the best food I ever had was. My last visit and this visit were just good, but not as great as previously. I was disappointed that Chef Sutton wasn't there, but the chefs were very nice. They asked for our allergies and dislikes. I told them no seafood and meats cooked medium rare. My dining partner has a crab allergy.

Amuse bouche - Sweet potato puree with cranberries and bacon bits (or dust as they called it). Delicious. While it reminded me of eating baby food especially coming out of a jar, the puree was surprisingly good.

14591766_10106812044614881_2995469207043330114_n.jpg

First course - Beet salad with haricot vert, taleggio crouton, honeycomb. This was fine. It's a beet salad and they were cooked well, and it was delicious, but wasn't particularly remarkable. I was about a third of the way through the dish, when I noticed a very small (like quarter inch) worm crawling on the plate. I know these things happen, especially organic, fresh food, but it sort of freaked me out. I told the waiter and they took it back to make a new plate, but I was sort of annoyed that I didn't get an apology of any sort.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=746e13221136cff8122f3c1362e04784&oe=58AA26C2
14568162_10106812044604901_2160314670587224589_n.jpg

Second course: Fried squash blossoms filled with artisanal cheeses, mushrooms and a romesco sauce. This was a good dish as well. The squash blossoms were nicely fried and the stuffing was delicious.

14581371_10106812044564981_3660879259211860575_n.jpg

Third course - Gnocchi with mushrooms. This was good, again, but not remarkable. The problem is that it didn't seem like something I couldn't make myself.

14522843_10106812044535041_3444751876048185704_n.jpg

At this point, I was getting annoyed that I had received three vegetarian courses in a row. My dining partner, had a non-vegetable protein with each of his courses, and the couple next to us also had a meat or seafood dish for each of their courses. It's not that I hate vegetables or vegetarian food, quite the opposite. My partner is vegetarian, and I mostly eat vegetarian at home and when out with him. He happened to be out of the country, and I wanted to be able to enjoy a omnivorous meal. Seeing the plates that my countermates were getting just made me a little jealous of their meat. After this course, I was starting to get a little grumpy and just pouting that my next course better not be a vegetarian course.

Next we had a cup of portobello cappuccino bisque. I have had it before and it was a good as usually. Deep mushroom flavor but pretty light, rather than a rich creamy soup

Fourth course - Beef short rib. At this point I was mainly thankful that I got meat. This was great, and almost made up for the previous progression of courses. The meat was rich and tender:

14462924_10106812044510091_7899874357290417054_n.jpg

Fifth/Dessert course. For this course they let you choose your dessert or they will ask you if you want to be surprised. I wanted cheese, so I went with a cheese plate. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture, but I got three tastings, a soft cheese, a pecorino, and a blue cheddar cheese. It came with fruit preserves, sliced bread, and currants. This was a nice ending to the meal.

Overall, it was a good meal. Not the best meal I had had there, but by no means bad.

Great review! I enjoy my veggies too but am a terrible carnivore and would also be disappointed with 3 vegetarian courses.

Continuing with...Figment’s Halloween Escapades (October 2016)

Alfresco Tasting Terrace, Dinner
Figment tried something new this trip! After having a great experience at the Cove Bar (and previously at the Carthay Lounge), Figment decided to give the Alfresco Tasting Terrace a try. It's a big out of the way (above the Wine Country Trattoria) and very small (only a dozen or so tables), but it was really good! Like the other lounges, it features a small plates menu.
DSC_0239_zpspfzjby1y.jpg

Grilled Shrimp and Spanish Chorizo - Caramelized onions and crostini. This was probably Figment's favorite item at the Terrace. The shrimp were very tender and the chorizo was very flavorful.
DSC_0244_zpspkyoaxuy.jpg

Charcuterie and Cheese Board - Prosciutto di Parma, Spanish-style Chorizo, Gorgonzola Blue Cheese, Fontina, Green Olives, Marinated Mushrooms, Walnuts, and Dry-cured Black Beldi Olives. There were so many yummy things on the board! Figment liked pretty much everything, including the blue cheese (which is very unusual).
DSC_0248_zpslx46wmvj.jpg

DSC_0250_zpsb3bfr2gy.jpg

Flatbread Two Ways - One half had proscuitto, tomatoes and green olives, and the other half had goat cheese, figs, and balsamic reduction. Half of the flat bread was good (prosciutto), but it was a little dougher than most flatbreads (it was closer to a normal pizza dough thickness).
DSC_0252_zpsjgk32oj9.jpg

Aged Cheddar Risotto Bites - Roasted garlic herb aioli and marinara sauce. These were really good!
DSC_0257_zpsfocxospt.jpg

Overall, Figment really like the Alfresco Tasting Terrace and is looking forward to going back (although, it might not be a good place to dine when it's cold out).

River Belle Terrace, Lunch
Figment started a new traditional last trip by having his last meal at River Belle Terrace. That way, he can take any left over ribs home for dinner! The ribs are "fall off the bone" tender and have really good flavor. He likes the tater tots, cole slaw, and potato salad sides the best!
DSC_0717_zpsrqaxmeel.jpg

DSC_0001%202_zpszaahqsna.jpg

Plaza Inn, Lunch
Fried Chicken Dinner - Fried Chicken, Corn, Mashed Potatoes, Biscuit and Gravy. Figment really likes the Fried Chicken dinner at the Paaza Inn. (You can buy an additional piece of chicken for $4.)
DSC_0007_zpsvhnjh6tl.jpg

Bengal BBQ, Snack
Figment wanted to try the HalloweenTime skewer at Bengal BBQ; the line was long, but the skewer was worth it. It had chunks of sausage and pineapple all brushed with BBQ sauce.
DSC_0427_zps6rqqblgd.jpg

DSC_0263_zpstnlzapgn.jpg

Mint Julep Bar, Snack
The Mint Julep Bar had Butterscotch Beignets as their seasonal offering. Both the Butterscotch and regular beignets were available this year! They were very similar to the peppermint beignets offered last year. The butterscotch flavoring was mixed into the powered sugar. Figment liked them, but he didn't think the butterscotch flavor was as pronounced as it could have been. He's not sure he could have said whether it was butterscotch or caramel if he hadn't read the sign. They were still yummy and made a great breakfast!
DSC_0554_zpsjo8lvaaz.jpg

DSC_0557_zpsbfljgqoh.jpg

DSC_0561_zpslvxfarwk.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter