My dog inhales her food

For some breeds, it can be deadly.
Danes esp, Goldens, labs, etc. It’s most large & deep chested breeds.
I had two BMDs and both of them had bloat. They didn't have issues with eating too fast. They're just more prone to getting it. Thankfully we noticed right away so they were able to make it through. Dogs die from bloat if it's not noticed in time.

I had two BMDs and both of them had bloat. They didn't have issues with eating too fast. They're just more prone to getting it. Thankfully we noticed right away so they were able to make it through. Dogs die from bloat if it's not noticed in time.
Is that bull mastiff?

Is this like a puzzle feeder with compartments that's challenging or just one of the slow feeder bowls where they have to work a little harder to get all the food?

My current dog is very smart, but she also absolutely will not touch anything that she thinks she might not be "allowed" to. We even have to tell her "okay" in a certain tone of voice before she will eat her food out of her regular bowl. If not, she will just sit there waiting.

She absolutely loves the slow feeder ball that she has (pieces of food fall out as she rolls it around). But, with some of the puzzles, she won't eat all the food unless we are sitting with her because I think she believes she's not "allowed" to take it completely apart.

Slow feeder bowl with the circle ridges inside it.

What kind of dog?

Coton de Tulear. Kinda like a mini sheep dog. She's a 13 pound fluff ball.

We add water to the dry kibble to make it harder to get out of the bowl.

She doesn't get kibble. She's fed fresh delivered dog food (Farmer's Dog). I switched to try and eliminate her expensive allergy shots. She also gets pancreatitis so we intermittently have to go to chicken and rice and then Hills I/D Digestive Care by prescription. Even though the kibble is a cheaper option, it ends up costing us more in the long run. She has done really well on the fresh food, but now she eats so fast she chokes herself.

I have one that will decline potato chips and pizza crusts. :confused3 I worry about her sometimes.

Mine is a 12 lb shih tzu that runs the house. There is no putting your feet up after a long day at our house as we have all of our ottomans (4!) shoved under various windows around the house so she can jump up and see wherever/whatever she wants.

Can't wait for the annual attack of the leaves on the deck. MOM! MOM! MOM! LEAF!!! LEAF!!! LEAFFFFFFFFFFFF!

Our dog eats fast as well. She is a rescue. She usually gets fed after her morning walk and late afternoon walk. If we are too slow doing that she will let us know.

Bernese Mountain Dogs. We learned from our vet that this breed is very prone to getting bloat.
Oh that’s even better! I LOVE those dogs! I have a very large golden & know someone’s dog that died of bloat so I’m extra cautious. My sister has a Dane so she has to be careful too.

Slow feeder bowl with the circle ridges inside it.

Coton de Tulear. Kinda like a mini sheep dog. She's a 13 pound fluff ball.

She doesn't get kibble. She's fed fresh delivered dog food (Farmer's Dog). I switched to try and eliminate her expensive allergy shots. She also gets pancreatitis so we intermittently have to go to chicken and rice and then Hills I/D Digestive Care by prescription. Even though the kibble is a cheaper option, it ends up costing us more in the long run. She has done really well on the fresh food, but now she eats so fast she chokes herself.
A small dog like that is probably less vulnerable although I also have to watch my doxie b/c he’s deep-chested. But his kibble is very small.

Eta: if it’s not even dry kibble, I think it’s even less of a problem.

A small dog like that is probably less vulnerable although I also have to watch my doxie b/c he’s deep-chested. But his kibble is very small.

Eta: if it’s not even dry kibble, I think it’s even less of a problem.

If this doesn’t work out, I won’t buy anything else. The vet mentioned trying to slow her down.

She did better with tonight’s feeding. I took off her collar beforehand and she lasted a full 10 minutes and got most of it out. I might also try raising the bowl up off the ground a bit.

If this doesn’t work out, I won’t buy anything else. The vet mentioned trying to slow her down.

She did better with tonight’s feeding. I took off her collar beforehand and she lasted a full 10 minutes and got most of it out. I might also try raising the bowl up off the ground a bit.
Good idea. Some dogs don’t like their collars clanging.

I started to write this earlier, but got called away
A dog has a higher change of developing bloat, which is life threatening if not treated ASAP, if they eat too fast. Certain breeds are also more likely to get bloat.
I realize that. I was trying to figure out what the OP was concerned about though.
She gets herself so worked up that she starts reverse sneezing and choking.
Ah, got it.

If she doesn’t like the slow feeder, can you feed smaller meals more frequently?

My parents used to have a beagle that would inhale his food, so they gave a little at a time. Kept it up with the last dog who had a slow feeder but would flick the bowl over instead to get all the kibble out :rotfl2: & current one who is a bit more reserved but only been with them for a couple of months

My dog eats her food in under 30 seconds. She inhales it like she's never seen food before! She's an appropriate weight and even a pound or so over according to her vet. I bought a slow feeder bowl, but she won't use it and walks away. Is this when I think if she's hungry enough she'll eat? Or should I try and replace the bowl and get a slow feeder that's a bit easier? Part of it, I think, is her collar tag hits the bowl and I know she doesn't like that, but even when I took that off, she lost interest.

Had the same eating issue with my pup Sherlock. I too bought a slow feeder however what I noticed was the groove wasn't wide enough for his mouth size (he's a large dog), so I bought another slow feeder with wider grooves and it worked out perfectly to where he no longer needs it.

I think the issue for him was he was scraping his mouth and teeth to get to the food.

I would also recommend mixing wet & dry dog food then pouring it into the slow feeder. We split a can of wet for breakfast and dinner. Also try scrambled egg, cut up chicken/turkey breast with broth to get your pup excited about eating from the slow feeder. Funny how we have to bribe our pups! :dog:

Thanks to this thread I learned about something I never heard of before! I didn’t know what bloat was: had to look it up. I have 2 labs that eat super fast and never knew they were at risk because of that (even though their breed is not one of the most affected).

If she doesn’t like the slow feeder, can you feed smaller meals more frequently?
This is not recommended as it leads to grazing. Dog should be fed breakfast, snacks of carrots, celery, apples and dinner.

Treats should be limited. I give my pups half a treat when they finish their meals along with their vitamin.

This is not recommended as it leads to grazing. Dog should be fed breakfast, snacks of carrots, celery, apples and dinner.

Treats should be limited. I give my pups half a treat when they finish their meals along with their vitamin.
It has always been the advice of our veterinarian for our dogs, prone to bloat, also.

Are you saying that dogs must have snacks of carrots, celery and apples?

It has always been the advice of our veterinarian for our dogs, prone to bloat, also.

Are you saying that dogs must have snacks of carrots, celery and apples?
Lol, if so, I have severely neglected all of my dogs over the last 25 years!

We had two labs that were like that. Before we'd ever seen a "slow feeder" bowl, our vet suggested putting something in the bowl (something tennis-ball size so they can't eat it by accident -- our first lab wasn't interested in tennis balls, so that's what we used). That will make them slow down somewhat because they have to put the item around the bowl to get all the food.

We were most concerned about bloat... but then when we got another dog (a standard poodle who prefers to be a "grazer") we had trouble with Vaccuum dog inhaling her own food, then bullying him away from his bowl so she could eat his too. A slow-feeder helped give him enough time to eat if he was hungry. I think your dog will get used to it. If it hasn't been at least a whole day of refusals, then I'd just try leaving the food down and hopefully she'll eat when she's ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter