My experience at Disneyland Resort (first trip in 8 years)

European

Mouseketeer
My last trip to DLR was in December 2015 & my last trip to WDW was in March 2019. So plenty of changes since then and I wanted to express my thoughts, positives and negatives after my 4 day visit last week.

- First: mobile orders. One thing I prefer at DLR (vs. WDW) are some of the quick service restaurants. Like Tiana's and Rancho del Zocalo, where you can get fairly decent meals served in/with decent plates/cutlery at quick service prices. So not in disposable plastic/cardboard/bamboo/paper. I had done mobile orders on Thursday and Friday at several quick service restaurants and thought it was a great invention. On Saturday I wanted to have lunch at Tiana's and did the mobile order again. When I arrived, the place was packed and there was a long line to enter (for those who did not mobile order). I first wanted to get myself a table close to the mobile order window before pressing 'I'm here now' as I was traveling solo and did not want to struggle finding a table while my food was getting cold. It was so busy I literally had to stand next to a table of people who were almost leaving, sitting down as soon as they stood up. I find that very rude and annoying for everybody, but I had no other choice. Then when I got the food (7 greens gumbo) it was such a small portion in a plastic container. Not what people were getting that did not mobile order. Such a disappointment! I had to go and get a burger at Red Rose afterwards as I was still hungry. Same problem with the tables there, but at least there was no difference between the food you got through mobile order or regular line. So on Sunday I learned my lesson and went to Rancho del Zocalo at 10.45 am as it opened at 11 am. I could not believe people were already lining up. No mobile order possible here btw (which is probably a good thing here). Food was very good. By the time I left (still before noon) almost all the tables were occupied.

Afterwards I went to City Hall to express my disappointment on Tiana's. After having waited in line for half an hour. The cast member said she would pass the information, but did not seem interested in my experience. The least she could have done was give me a meal voucher.

- I added Genie+ to my ticket as it was only about $100 more and because it also included PhotoPass. I made good use of Genie+. Although it did make me crossing the parks all day. Like back in the days with Fast Pass I guess. I also got free lightning lanes twice. Once because I was on RotR when it broke down. And once when it was time for my lightning lane for Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, but I hadn't gotten there yet and the ride broke down. Automatically I got a Lightning Lane valid on most (not all) LL attractions. So that's good!

-I was not happy with the pictures the photographers took, though. Lots of sky, but only part of my feet, pictures in front of the castle, but only part of the castle is in the photo, pictures at Storyteller's Statue and also Partners Statue, but the statue is not completely on the photo etc. Did these people even had a training? I sure hope the WDW photographers are better?

- So the Disneyland app was pretty good with the mobile orders, viewing the photos, using Genie+, viewing the attractions waiting times. And the lines go so much quicker having a smartphone with wifi in my hands. Downside is you're on your phone all day long. Powerbanks are a must!

- The cutting in line. What's ups with that? I never ever have seen people cutting in line in a US park before. It especially happened often at Rise of the Resistance even though the cast member at the entrance clearly tells everyone the whole party must enter together.

- Talking about Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. That land is AMAZING! All those details! My compliments to all who was involved in making this land. Rise of the Resistance is my new favorite attraction. Apart from some minor details they could have handled better. Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run was less impressive (but still good). Too much pushing buttons. Then I'd prefer Star Tours: The Adventures Continue.

- Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway was so much fun too. I had not expected that. But apart from the ride vehicles it does look cheap though.

- As always Haunted Mansion Holiday was great. It's a big reason why I visit during Halloween/Christmas season. I sure hope they continue doing the makeover each year. But next time I visit will probably be the end of September (in x years time). Not too hot/cold, Halloween season and cheaper for renting DVC points. Monday to Friday. Never again during the weekend!

- What else was new to me? Web slingers was just OK. I prefer Toy Story Mania. Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission Breakout was just OK as well. I prefer Tower of Terror. Of course the fact that people screamed, yelled and talked loudly didn't help. And I am not talking about screaming because it's a thrill ride. They obviously knew the ride by heart and were so loud I could not hear what the Guardians said. After trying the attraction twice, I gave up. The Amazing Spider-Man little show was so cool with the impressive jump!

- It was fun seeing about half of the guests with something Disney on them: sweater, bag, ears,... But I didn't see many people walking around with bags (their purchases) from the stores, though. I couldn't find anything I liked either, which is good for my wallet I guess. Luckily Girls Crew was at Downtown Disney during the weekend. They have some unique and cute earrings and I got a few (most don't come in pairs). The designer was there too and I asked if she had plans on making Lady Tremaine & Lucifer. Those would be awesome. Anyone who agrees, please contact her with this suggestion ;-) Because she definitely takes them into account and I had the impression lots of new characters and designs are coming our way.

- So all in all it was great to be back at DLR, but my visit definitely had a negative taste. I sure hope my next DCL & WDW trips will be better.

Last edited:
I was there the same days, and MAN it was PACKED! Now, I go about this time every year, but I think we normally avoid the weekends. Wish we had this year, as it was insane on Sat. We still had fun but I'm glad we weren't all about the rides or we'd have been disappointed. We got there Thurs though so we had a couple of good days before the real crowds hit.

I'm glad you had some positives! It can be hard to see them sometimes when things are crazy busy. I like your attitude :)

I was there the same days, and MAN it was PACKED! Now, I go about this time every year, but I think we normally avoid the weekends. Wish we had this year, as it was insane on Sat. We still had fun but I'm glad we weren't all about the rides or we'd have been disappointed. We got there Thurs though so we had a couple of good days before the real crowds hit.

I'm glad you had some positives! It can be hard to see them sometimes when things are crazy busy. I like your attitude :)
I absolutely hate crowds, but for some reason I can manage them at Disney. But indeed it was crazy on Saturday. I did do quite a lot of rides surprisingly. And I know it is always busy at DLR. I sure miss the days at WDW when the longest line was 20 min for Summit Plummit and the fast pass machines were closed because there was no reason using them. That was in between 9/11 and the start of free dining (2005).

I was there the week prior and the crowd didn’t really roll in until Friday the8th but man oh man…it was horrid so I feel your pain having to deal with it all week. Awful.

We encountered some rude CMs but honestly, I feel like it really isn’t worth it to complain about anything at DL. Hopefully you will get a follow-up survey…I did and I really vented in it in hopes maybe somebody does actually read them. But I learned long ago it wasn’t worth it to go to City Hall, it’s like they half liste, they commiserate, then send you on your way with a “oh, I’m sorry you had a bad experience “

Glad you were able to accentuate the positive and had a great time anyway.

We always use the Disney photographers. Most of them are good, there are a few that are terrible and just phoning it in though. We did a character shoot with one that was so bad we actually complained.

The line cutting is interesting, we go 3-4X a year and I’ve never encountered that!

-I was not happy with the pictures the photographers took, though. Lots of sky, but only part of my feet, pictures in front of the castle, but only part of the castle is in the photo, pictures at Storyteller's Statue and also Partners Statue, but the statue is not completely on the photo etc. Did these people even had a training? I sure hope the WDW photographers are better?
Interesting that you mention that. We had pictures taken in front of the castle a couple of weeks ago and the photographer cut off the top half of the castle. :sad2:

Interesting about the photogs…we had great ones WHEN WE FOUND THEM. Outside of the standard statue, Castle, Main Street options, some days they were nowhere to be found. Seems like there are more around maybe on the weekends? But nothing like WDW where they are everywhere. I was happy on Friday that they were double teaming the Christmas tree where you get the stitch magic shot as that was something my friend really wanted. Only about 10minute wait even though line looked long.

Interesting about the photogs…we had great ones WHEN WE FOUND THEM. Outside of the standard statue, Castle, Main Street options, some days they were nowhere to be found. Seems like there are more around maybe on the weekends? But nothing like WDW where they are everywhere. I was happy on Friday that they were double teaming the Christmas tree where you get the stitch magic shot as that was something my friend really wanted. Only about 10minute wait even though line looked long.
Right that is another good point. Their location was indicated in the app, but often they were not there. Weekdays or weekends.

we’ve always encountered lots of photographers in Galaxies Edge. Also at the tea cups (the one outside the ride), in front of the train station after entering the park, at the Xmas tree, usually 2 at the castle and 1-2 at the walk statue. Other areas not so much unless there was a character. Seems like there’s more in DCA.

I can't get over the complaint about ppl screaming on Mission Breakout. I truly can't, it's just so bizarre.
Well as I said I wasn’t talking about screaming when the ride goes up or down, but literally the whole ride. I could not hear what the Guardians were saying at all.

Well as I said I wasn’t talking about screaming when the ride goes up or down, but literally the whole ride. I could not hear what the Guardians were saying at all.
It's a high-thrill ride, ppl go in it to scream and get high on adrenaline...not to quietly listen to characters talking. It's not Small World.

The soundtrack is amazing as well. So lots of people laughing, yelling, singing. I loved tower of terror and was disappointed when they changed it, but once I rode it and with the music, it’s now one of my favs. Some songs work better than others (I want you back, free ride, we got the funk) though.

It's a high-thrill ride, ppl go in it to scream and get high on adrenaline...not to quietly listen to characters talking. It's not Small World.
I can't stand when people obnoxiously scream deliberately in the stretching room at Haunted, but love that people always get so into it on Guardians. It's a mix of screams from joy, fear, surprise or nervousness, but always completely fun.

I can't stand when people obnoxiously scream deliberately in the stretching room at Haunted, but love that people always get so into it on Guardians. It's a mix of screams from joy, fear, surprise or nervousness, but always completely fun.

It would be one thing if they were screaming in the pre-show at Guardians (because AGREED on the screamers on HM), but on the actual ride? I'm not even a screamer on other rides, but my brain turns to absolute mush once the song starts and that is literally all I can register after that besides the sound of my own screams. Like, I'm not going on it for the plot.

(I like to say that it's one of my favorite rides BEFORE I go on it, and AFTER I go on it, but while I'm riding it, I'm like, "PLEASE MAKE IT STOP WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE" which is what I think they're going for, lol.)

It would be one thing if they were screaming in the pre-show at Guardians (because AGREED on the screamers on HM), but on the actual ride? I'm not even a screamer on other rides, but my brain turns to absolute mush once the song starts and that is literally all I can register after that besides the sound of my own screams. Like, I'm not going on it for the plot.

(I like to say that it's one of my favorite rides BEFORE I go on it, and AFTER I go on it, but while I'm riding it, I'm like, "PLEASE MAKE IT STOP WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE" which is what I think they're going for, lol.)
SAME. I'm not a screamer either typically and don't find Guardians scary, but even after so many times on it, I still find myself completely surprised and taken off guard once it begins. And I swear the last few times, the drops have felt longer or something lol. The screaming is just sort of contagious and helped along by the adrenaline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter