My Experience at the Polynesian

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way they handle the situation is unacceptable. The manager should have taken measures right away to get you out of that room and into another for the safety of your family. He should have offered a compensation for sure. Like an upgrade or a discount on your your room for that night. Next time take the name of the manager and ask to speak to his boss. Housekeeping might have broken that glass but it is the responsibility of Disney and their managerial staff to ensure the safety of its guests. Seriously unprofessional. For the future, take pictures of the glass on the floor, your husband's foot and make sure you have a witness when you speak to front desk. Then threaten to sue! You would have seen how fast that would have gotten their attention!:mad:

Sorry this happened to you, OP. Maybe I'm just a laidback vacationer, but aside from getting a housekeeper to re-vacuum in my presence, I wouldn't have wanted to waste anymore time on the matter. Moving to a new room seems unnecessary when housekeeping can come and do a thorough vacuum job, which is all that will happen in the room anyhow. Trying to correspond with them now that you're home about getting a policy change seems like wasted efforts and mountain out of a mole hill situation.

***Not saying the OP did this*** but reading the responses makes me think about how litigious and otherwise whiny our society has become. This is a relatively minor issue and as far as Disney is concerned it may not have even been their doing - but because its Disney we expect them to provide us something for free. When we don't get our freebie we get all kinds of crazy and think about suing them? Huh? Assuming 1200 rooms at Poly thats about 3,600-4,800 people they see every week - assuming 5% of those have problems that's ~10,400 complaints a year for one resort - they cannot possibly offer free vacations etc to them.

They did fail because they didnt vacuum the room immediately but thats about all they did wrong here.

Listen, not only housekeeping failed but,management failed also. If they handled the situation correctly and immediately instead of passing the buck .Their kids got hurt from the glass,room change would be in order along with some pixie dust. Remember you paying $400-700 a night, the room should immaculate!

This is, once again, a reminder not to call the "front desk" from your room, but to go down there in person.

However, OP should have been moved to a new room immediately. There's no way a cursory vacuuming could make sure all the glass was out of that room, especially in carpet. I would have probably demanded a new room, and I am not a demanding person.

If they asked her to fill out an accident report, some sort of response that they'd received it is the least they could have done. Last spring a coworker slipped on ice in the parking garage near our office. She ended up at urgent care, and the next day called the garage management company. After some back and forth and an accident report, they sent her a check for $500. Were her expenses from her fall $500? No, but it was nice to know they took it seriously.

Then threaten to sue!

But why would you sue over a cut that didn't even need stitches?

I don't understand the new room logic either. I agree the original housekeeper should have been more diligent about cleaning up the broken glass, but the best remedy they can provide is to come back and do a thorough vacuuming of the whole room. They aren't going to replace the carpet or quarantine the room from future guests forever.

But why would you sue over a cut that didn't even need stitches?

I don't understand the new room logic either. I agree the original housekeeper should have been more diligent about cleaning up the broken glass, but the best remedy they can provide is to come back and do a thorough vacuuming of the whole room. They aren't going to replace the carpet or quarantine the room from future guests forever.

Suing in this situation is not justified, but management doing their job of resolving the issue is,why should they stay in that room, waste vacation time wondering if was clean properly,also they should been comped a night for lack of time,cleanliness of room,I sure wouldn't settle for less. forgetting how you pay to stay there $$$$$$,this isn't motel 6:teacher:!!

Unless I missed it only "dad" was hurt. Management failed because they didnt have someone vacuum immediately after they found out - no doubt about it.

For that rate they should have their own butler....

I don't know when the last time you've stayed there,but I have in 2015 and housekeeping is terrible. I vacuum cleaner is not the answer it's called good management with a follow-up. Make the guest feel like they been treated well and want to return back.Management 101.

Suing in this situation is not justified, but management doing their job of resolving the issue is,why should they stay in that room, waste vacation time wondering if was clean properly,also they should been comped a night for lack of time,cleanliness of room,I sure wouldn't settle for less. forgetting how you pay to stay there $$$$$$,this isn't motel 6:teacher:!!

Comped for one night? That's a stretch. Management should have acted faster for sure, that's where they failed. It wouldn't have been any skin off their nose to offer a drink voucher or fast pass voucher either, maybe that would have helped. But to comp a night or do anything else extreme like that is really not warranted IMO. And I've worked in management in customer service. I would have expected someone to come up and do a thorough vacuum right away as well as send first aid. Moving a room and demanding policy changes after I get home is wasted time.

Fast pass voucher is a joke:p, room change is warrant because you don't know what else is lurking, I'm sure probably needed a thorough cleaning, wasting vacation time waiting for inferior housekeeping to come,and what people are missing in this stay is how expensive this hotel is :mad:$$$$$$.

Once there was a broken pipe outside our room. We sloshed around for two days, and WDW management blamed us for leaving the water on and put a fan in the room. When they realized it was their fault, they comped us one night and moved our room.

Once my daughter tripped on a broken part of the sidewalk and bled all over the place and broke her tooth. They were nice and offered medical attention, but nothing else. We didn't expect anything else, but we did point out the area that needed attention and they fixed it the next day. In this situation, I would have asked them to bring up the vacuum while they patched up my husband's foot, then been out to see the parade and fireworks come hell or high water.

I would die with a cut on my foot. Walking with perfect feet is already uncomfortable. This would definitely put a damper in my vacation. Id be limping just to be careful, whether needed or not. And the glass....no guarantee they could get every little piece. Id need to wear slippers for the remainder of the trip. Yes, it would be bad, but I wouldnt expect any compensation. I think the only thing that would make me happy would be a full return trip....and we all know that would never happen. Nothing could save the trip....no money, no change of rooms.... if I couldnt walk. :(

What property were you staying that had broken pipe,how dare they blame the guest.That's poor management at its best. Why wouldn't a guest change a room if you felt uneasy staying in room,would't you think one would deserve compensation for the incident,if go to a restaurant and had a bug in your meal,you wouldn't pay for it,they take off the bill.This is a expensive hotel.Unlike the dumps off of i-4.

I like that a large number of posters suggest a room change. This would no doubt be a feel good gesture on the part of the management and feel good to the posters. But if the problem is corrected properly after the incident the need to move is moot. If the problem is not corrected then I can see a whole series of these threads all devoted to the same room.

Well, all I know is when I have issue whether its housekeeping,staff, obstruction of view,or whatever I always nip it in the bud!8-)

They definitely should have moved you from the room. IMO the housekeeping was incredibly lazy and negligent, and it looks like someone was covering for someone else (since they didn't bother filling out a report). I wasn't fond of the reports from the Poly before, and this hasn't won them any favor with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter