• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My EXTRA tip for Room Service

I will try to keep this in mind, this is something that is so easy to do, but yet I would have never thought to do. Since they are on these cruises 10 months or so out of the year, I would have thought they have seen it all before. I never stopped to consider that they probably are not able to see the sights when they are busy working :( This is a good eye opening thread. Makes me sad to think the employees are the ships are treated badly by the guest :(

While it is nice to have them see the sights from your cabin (I have done it in the past), I was told by a room service CM since then that they are not allowed to stay and linger in guests' cabins...it could get them into trouble. While it might be a nice gesture, you could be setting them up for getting in trouble.

Also, with all the heated talk a few months ago when an Ipad went missing from a cabin and the crew was blamed, I think you are setting up the crew member for possible problems if, God forbid, something turned up missing from your cabin. Anyone who had been in that cabin would immediately be under suspicion even if they didn't have anything to do with it.

Just another point of view.

MJ

On our seven day cruise this January we brought chocolates over from the UK just for our steward .. we also brought gum as they cant buy it and its apparently really usefull for them to trade for other things.

We are going on the fantasy for two weeks in Jan 2013 and already we have started to put items in our case - just for our steward as we know they will look after us.

They also appreciatte getting fruit .. I used to bring it back from breakfast in a bowl and leave a note saying it was for the steward.

They might not eat it - but it is appreciatted and they respond very positively when you look after them.

We have a veranda for the first time this cruise - and its an extended one ... maybe we should have a crew party lol ... (only joking .. dont want people moaning about not getting their coffee :-) )

Do people really do things like this? I am just now planning our very first cruise, so I have no experience to draw from.

But to me, it sounds a bit condescending. "Here you poor soul who is locked up in darkness 24/7, come out on us rich people's verandah so you can see the light of day for a minute."

Maybe I don't understand the job these guys do, but it would feel a bit pretentious inviting staff into our room to look at the view. Are the Disney workers so overworked, they never have a minute or a day off to look out a window?

I liken it to somebody inviting a minimum wage worker to come see their Mercedes because the minimum wage worker would never be able to afford one, so "here, come sit in mine." It just seems condescending.

But again, I have no experience. Maybe my view will change after I cruise for the first time.

When we cruise DS10 and Dd13 head to Target to pick out some snacks to pass out to the crew. On our last cruise (non DCL) our dinner server cried. He told us no one had ever given him any gifts. Something so small and simple can make a huge difference.

Do people really do things like this? I am just now planning our very first cruise, so I have no experience to draw from.

But to me, it sounds a bit condescending. "Here you poor soul who is locked up in darkness 24/7, come out on us rich people's verandah so you can see the light of day for a minute."

Maybe I don't understand the job these guys do, but it would feel a bit pretentious inviting staff into our room to look at the view. Are the Disney workers so overworked, they never have a minute or a day off to look out a window?

I liken it to somebody inviting a minimum wage worker to come see their Mercedes because the minimum wage worker would never be able to afford one, so "here, come sit in mine." It just seems condescending.

But again, I have no experience. Maybe my view will change after I cruise for the first time.

We are in the process of planning our first cruise, so I'm lurking around the DCL boards to learn about various aspects. I'm just surprised at this thread. I never would have thought that members of the crew don't see the light of day. I understand that they work 7 days a week. But, I'm surprised to learn that those in room service don't get to go up on deck at all. I was also surprised that they need to trade for things (someone mentioned trading gum). I assumed they bought things like we did. There must be some bartering system instead of being paid? Sounds so archaic to me, I'm just surprised. The other thing that shocked me is the PP who mentioned giving them fruit. I would have bet my life that their provisions included such basic items as fruit. I'm literally floored that they need to get fruit from a customer. It actually makes me question whether I want to financially support an entity that treats its employees so poorly that they aren't given basic nutritious food and opportunity to see daylight.

When we cruise DS10 and Dd13 head to Target to pick out some snacks to pass out to the crew. On our last cruise (non DCL) our dinner server cried. He told us no one had ever given him any gifts. Something so small and simple can make a huge difference.

We are going over Christmas, and I'm trying to think of things for our servers and host to give them something to have for Christmas. Since I don't know if they will be women or men, it's rather difficult.

Any ideas? I'm thinking a small box for each, with an ornament or Christmas item, some candy, a card. Anything else?

Nancy

We are going over Christmas, and I'm trying to think of things for our servers and host to give them something to have for Christmas. Since I don't know if they will be women or men, it's rather difficult.

Any ideas? I'm thinking a small box for each, with an ornament or Christmas item, some candy, a card. Anything else?

Nancy

While your intentions are good, please consider the fact that those you plan to give the gifts to may not celebrate Christmas.

Nancy

Over the years, we have brought international phone cards, candy bars, gum, salt water taffy and gift cards to the mall the crew shops at in Florida. One year we brought full size York peppermint patties and gave them to them with their tip envelopes. You would think I gave them gold! :lmao: It was a great reaction.

We are in the process of planning our first cruise, so I'm lurking around the DCL boards to learn about various aspects. I'm just surprised at this thread. I never would have thought that members of the crew don't see the light of day. I understand that they work 7 days a week. But, I'm surprised to learn that those in room service don't get to go up on deck at all. I was also surprised that they need to trade for things (someone mentioned trading gum). I assumed they bought things like we did. There must be some bartering system instead of being paid? Sounds so archaic to me, I'm just surprised. The other thing that shocked me is the PP who mentioned giving them fruit. I would have bet my life that their provisions included such basic items as fruit. I'm literally floored that they need to get fruit from a customer. It actually makes me question whether I want to financially support an entity that treats its employees so poorly that they aren't given basic nutritious food and opportunity to see daylight.
I have to agree. The fruit thing blew my mind. They don't have access to fruit in the employee dining room? The passengers have to take some from the buffet to give to the employees?

Disney sounds like they treat their employees worse than zoo animals, depending on their customer base to feed their employees the basics and to provide short minutes of sunshine.

Reading this thread just brings to mind high school history and the slaves chained to their benches, rowing the galleons, with minimal food and locked in the bowels of the ship with no fresh air and sunlight.

I am going to have to do more research to see if passengers on other lines are so concerned about the employees that they need to bring fruit and invite the employees on deck for glimpses of the outside.

I am with you Mari. I don't know if I can support a cruise line where the passengers are so concerned about the workers not receiving adequate treatment that they feel compelled to bring fruit and sunshine to the employees. It bothers me to no end that the employees are so grateful for that quick glimpse of outdoors.

I am sure in my research, I remember reading about cruise lines with private employee decks, even employee pools and decent cafeterias for the employees. Humane employee treatment is an important criteria for selecting our first cruise line.

I have to agree. The fruit thing blew my mind. They don't have access to fruit in the employee dining room? The passengers have to take some from the buffet to give to the employees?

Disney sounds like they treat their employees worse than zoo animals, depending on their customer base to feed their employees the basics and to provide short minutes of sunshine.

Reading this thread just brings to mind high school history and the slaves chained to their benches, rowing the galleons, with minimal food and locked in the bowels of the ship with no fresh air and sunlight.

I am going to have to do more research to see if passengers on other lines are so concerned about the employees that they need to bring fruit and invite the employees on deck for glimpses of the outside.

I am with you Mari. I don't know if I can support a cruise line where the passengers are so concerned about the workers not receiving adequate treatment that they feel compelled to bring fruit and sunshine to the employees. It bothers me to no end that the employees are so grateful for that quick glimpse of outdoors.

I am sure in my research, I remember reading about cruise lines with private employee decks, even employee pools and decent cafeterias for the employees. Humane employee treatment is an important criteria for selecting our first cruise line.

An absolute eye-opening book is Cruise Confidential by Brian David Bruns. The behind the scenes comments of their 18 hour work days, 6 month contracts and poor scheduling that prevents them from getting more than one decent meal a day in their dining hall are stunning. At most, they may get a half day off every few weeks, sometimes only 2-4 hours. And those short breaks are usually spent sleeping in their rooms. And yes, they get very little time to see the sights from the ship or even use the crew area much. It is not a life I envy in any way.

An absolute eye-opening book is Cruise Confidential by Brian David Bruns. The behind the scenes comments of their 18 hour work days, 6 month contracts and poor scheduling that prevents them from getting more than one decent meal a day in their dining hall are stunning. At most, they may get a half day off every few weeks, sometimes only 2-4 hours. And those short breaks are usually spent sleeping in their rooms. And yes, they get very little time to see the sights from the ship or even use the crew area much. It is not a life I envy in any way.
Well then, I may have to reconsider cruising. If employee treatment is so horrendous, on par with child labor factories, then I would not be comfortable eating at a fancy restaurant, knowing my server may have only had one meal. Or sitting in my fancy cabin knowing my server had not seen daylight for several days.

Thank you for enlightening me. If Disney treats their employees so shabbily, then that is out for me.

Off to research cruise lines and employee treatment. See if there is one where the customers don't feel compelled to provide basics for the employees because they live such a miserable existence.

It is the cruise industry in general rather than Disney "treating employees this way." There will be nothing different on any other cruise line as far as I know from people who have worked on many different lines in many different positions.

It is the cruise industry in general rather than Disney "treating employees this way." There will be nothing different on any other cruise line as far as I know from people who have worked on many different lines in many different positions.

I guess my question is whether it's really so bad that they don't have access to a variety of food such as fruit and if they really need things like gum to trade for other goods. Is there not a crew store? I understand the long hours and crew quarters are part of the job, but the fruit and gum thing just is unimaginable to me.

While your intentions are good, please consider the fact that those you plan to give the gifts to may not celebrate Christmas.

If they don't, they can just give away the items; I've received many ornaments and other decorations given to me by Jewish or atheist friends who received them over the years. I've found the CMs to be very gracious when receiving anything. I really don't think the crew member are over the moon to receive jolly rancher candies or tootsie rolls, but they always seem like they are.

If even one of them has a happier day after receiving a small gift, I think it is worth it for me to make the effort.

Nancy

MariDisney said:
I guess my question is whether it's really so bad that they don't have access to a variety of food such as fruit and if they really need things like gum to trade for other goods. Is there not a crew store? I understand the long hours and crew quarters are part of the job, but the fruit and gum thing just is unimaginable to me.

I think the main thing is that they appreciate someone thinking of them when they hardly have time to think of themselves. Having access to something doesn't necessarily mean a crew member will use it. I'm sure there are many, cruise crew or otherwise, who would skip a meal or time outside for some precious sleep :)

I think the main thing is that they appreciate someone thinking of them when they hardly have time to think of themselves. Having access to something doesn't necessarily mean a crew member will use it. I'm sure there are many, cruise crew or otherwise, who would skip a meal or time outside for some precious sleep :)
Well then, wouldn't a better appreciation be to give a larger tip (what you would have spent on gum or the gift) so that the employee could quickly buy what they want/need at the crew store? (looked it up and Disney cruise ships do have onboard crew stores and employees get discounts at other stores)

That way they are not wasting precious sleep time trading gum or other silly things. They can go to the store, buy what they need and then get some much needed sleep or meals.

Seems like giving actual gifts like gum would be counter productive as the employee would have to waste precious time bartering, finding places to stow things or giving things away.

Ok...I think people have a skewed perception of crew life. Yes they work very hard and yes they work very long hours. But... they are NOT treated like zoo animals. They are not slave labor. They get three or more meals a day. They do have fruit available to them as well as other nutritious foods. They have a crew store, a crew nightclub, they have access to the internet (for a fee), they have a crew gym, they have crew parties. DCL pays for their airfare when they fly home (if they are returning after their time off) and pay for their return. They get about 2 months off after each contract. They get recognized for a job well done. They DO NOT HAVE to barter for things but just like in any other society people trade things if they want (trade you pack of cigarettes for a few packs of gum, etc.).

Please remember...nobody kidnapped the crew. They decided to work in the cruise industry by choice. In fact, many make more working onboard then they could in their home countries. Many work a few years and can retire in their home countries.

We have cruised DCL 28 times already and spoken with many, many crew members from officers on down. The vast majority have told us that they enjoy working for Disney more than other lines (of the ones they have worked on other cruise line).

So please, appreciate how hard all the crew works onboard but I don't think they want you to pity them. They take pride in their jobs and it shows.

If you want to find out more about crew life on DCL you can check out their jobs website...if lists job requirements and the duties involved in many of the positions onboard.

www.dcljobs.com

MJ

mmouse37 said:
Ok...I think people have a skewed perception of crew life. Yes they work very hard and yes they work very long hours. But... they are NOT treated like zoo animals. They are not slave labor. They get three or more meals a day. They do have fruit available to them as well as other nutritious foods. They have a crew store, a crew nightclub, they have access to the internet (for a fee), they have a crew gym, they have crew parties. DCL pays for their airfare when they fly home (if they are returning after their time off) and pay for their return. They get about 2 months off after each contract. They get recognized for a job well done. They DO NOT HAVE to barter for things but just like in any other society people trade things if they want (trade you pack of cigarettes for a few packs of gum, etc.).

Please remember...nobody kidnapped the crew. They decided to work in the cruise industry by choice. In fact, many make more working onboard then they could in their home countries. Many work a few years and can retire in their home countries.

We have cruised DCL 28 times already and spoken with many, many crew members from officers on down. The vast majority have told us that they enjoy working for Disney more than other lines (of the ones they have worked on other cruise line).

So please, appreciate how hard all the crew works onboard but I don't think they want you to pity them. They take pride in their jobs and it shows.

If you want to find out more about crew life on DCL you can check out their jobs website...if lists job requirements and the duties involved in many of the positions onboard.

www.dcljobs.com

MJ

This is a great post on the topic. Thanks! :)

www.dcljobs.com

MJ

That is what I was thinking when I read this thread. Which brings me right back to my original thoughts...that inviting a crew member onto your cabin verandah for a moment of sunshine is condescending to the crew member.

We are back again to the "oh here poor server, come stand on our verandah because Disney keeps you locked away from sunshine." It seems to come across high and mighty, the mighty lord of the cabin showing pity for the poor serf bringing their room service and "allowing" the serf to experience a minute of their lifestyle.

Bringing fruit from the breakfast buffet onboard would seem especially presumptuous and insulting, insinuating they cannot get fruit on their own in their own dining room and need the passengers to pilfer fruit from their own breakfasts as a charitable act. I don't think the crew wants or needs the passenger's pity by throwing them an orange or two from breakfast.

There are a lot of good and a lot of bad things about working on a ship and many books and articles on the internet describing the life. The thing to remember is that the jobs are in demand and those crew workers come back after their contracts are over. So no, they are not treated like zoo animals. They choose to do those jobs and I don't feel sorry for them.

But I also have a LOT of respect for them because I could never do it. Their cabin rooms are crazy small. As one of my books descibes them, you can pee and brush your teeth all at the same time, lol. They do have a pool, but it's not much bigger than a hot tub. They do get to see the sun, have a deck, a bar, etc....but they work crazy long hours. They do have nutritious foods to eat, but they don't get to eat what the guests eat. Everything I have read describes it as a buffet with a lot of curries and different soups (which I'd probably love). They tend to eat the same things over and over which makes sense why getting something different, like a candy bar, might be exciting.

But I also imagine, that sometimes they are likely just being polite. I have read on these boards where people order two desserts and bring them back. I would never want to eat food (even fruit) brought to me by guests. How would they know it wasn't tampered with, left at room temp too long, etc? That's just wierd to me. Unopened candy is different. But that's just my 2 cents

Money is always the best thing you can give. But I don't see the harm in handing out candy, gum, or whatever you want. Nor do I see it condensending that the OP invited the room service guy to come out and have a view. I don't think anyone is suggesting you do any of that in lieu of money.

ETA found a couple pics:

Crew member cabin (No idea which cruise line this is, but it gives you the idea of how small it is. Sharing that tiny space with a roomate would make me cringe, but I'm not young and single :P)
crew%20accommodation.jpg

Employee crew member deck and pool on the Wonder
DisneyWonderCrewPool(1).jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter