My first ever DLR trip!!!! June 13-18 *Completed!*

koalagirl5

Mouseketeer
So, I wasn't going to bother doing a trip report at first, but changed my mind. Mostly because I figured if anyone else ends up obsessively searching for information like I have been, then this could be of use to someone. :rotfl:
Bear with me though, I don't know what I'm doing here. :rotfl2:

First, the basics:

Who: me, Jamie(28) and DD Alyssa(8)
When: June 13-18
Accommodations: Best Western Park Place Inn
Travel: road trip!

While I have never been to any Disney Parks before, Alyssa has. When she was about 3 or 4, she went to Disneyland and Knott's with her grandparents. At 5, she got to spend a full week at Disney World with her dad and stepmom. Someone in her stepmom's family had died and left money specifically for their whole family to do WDW. Lucky girl, right? I have to admit, I'm jealous of my own daughter.

I have always, always wanted visit DL, but had grown up not being able to afford vacations, and then when I was an adult, just assumed I would never be able to go. A few months ago, I actually did research (imagine that!) and discovered how affordable it could really be. I was so psyched! :woohoo:

I started out wanting to go cheap for the hotel, as in the Super 8 on Katella. When I realized how far the walk would be, and I didn't really want to mess with ART, I looked into the Del Sol Inn right on Harbor. However, after reading such mixed reviews, I was very hesitant to chance staying at a crappy hotel.
That is how I ended up booking BWPPI. It's close to the gates, I was able to afford it, and the overall reviews were decent.

Here are our plans so far:

Saturday, June 12
Leave home (Oregon) by 8 or 9 am, try to make it to Santa Nella by 7 or 8 pm.

Sunday, June 13
Hopefully arrive in Anaheim in the early afternoon, check into our hotel. We have GAD vouchers that I had planned to use to get into DL this day, but have decided to get the special fastpasses for Monday and Tuesday instead in case it's crazy busy from WOC. Instead, we'll pick up our 4-day hoppers, which are for Monday-Thursday, then I want to check out Downtown Disney and Gardenwalk, and maybe eat at Johnny Rockets. I also want to go north to see the Disney warehouse store. I doubt we will have time, but maybe we'll be able to check out the beach.

Monday, June 14
First day in the parks! :thumbsup2 We also have ressies for Goofy's Kitchen at 10:30 am, which I might be more excited about than Alyssa. :rolleyes1 I am hoping to splurge and get priority seating to Fantasmic for this night, since I'd rather not have to stake out a spot just to have my personal space invaded when we could be seeing stuff in the park.

Tuesday, June 15
Magic Morning for us. I made ressies for Carnation Cafe for breakfast at 10 am because I figured we would need the break after the busy early morning.

Wednesday, June 16
I'm thinking that this day we could hurry and get in line for the Princess Fantasy Faire. If Alyssa wants to, of course. She wasn't interested in Ariel's Grotto because she got to eat with the princesses at WDW.

Thursday, June 17
I'm thinking this will be a day that we make sure to get into DCA at opening, especially if we haven't been able to do TSMM before then.

Friday, June 18
Leaving for home around 8 or 9 am. :sad1: Hoping to reach Redding around 7 pm. I have heard a lot about Black Bear Diner, which is close to where I want to stop for a motel, so I may have to eat there.

Saturday, June 19
Home!! I'm guessing we'll arrive mid-afternoon. Then I have to get Alyssa ready to see her dad for Father's Day the next day. Poor kid, she will be so tired.

Wednesday and Thursday are Grad Nites, so we will see how it goes. The only thing I'm paranoid about is having a few less hours to do things lol. Overall, I'm totally stoked!!!!

Here are some things I have on my must-do/must-see list so far, some of them are thanks to all the DISers on here:

musical chairs at Coke Corner
Billy Hill
Aladdin show
HSM3 for Alyssa especially
Muppets
fireworks (of course)
Photopass
Taste Pilot's Grill
beignets, churros, Mickey ice cream bar, Mickey pretzels, tigger tails, and this, and that, and more of that....:lmao:
In-n-Out Burger - either along the way or while in anaheim area

So, that's what I have planned so far. Hopefully somebody will find my jabbering interesting. :rotfl: I am planning on taking pictures galore, so they will be posted when I return. If I remember, I will take lots of pics of BWPPI, inside the room and out. It seems like there aren't many floating around of that place. Well, there are, but they all seem pretty much the same. Basically, I'll be the freak taking random pics of EVERYTHING. :upsidedow

I can't believe it took me so long to get through this. I started like an hour ago, at least. I have to get back to my real life. I will update as I think of more things to add.

Hi from a fellow Oregonian!!! We're in Salem but have lived in Medford & North Bend.

Your plan looks pretty good to me!! I do suggest if you do plan on doing the dessert seating for Fantasmic that you call 30 days out (like if you chose June 18th, then call at 8am on May 18th). The seats go quickly!! I think it's totally worth having a seat reserved. If you go to the 9pm show, you will also get to stay seated for the fireworks!!!

I'll keep checking in to see your updates or if you have any questions!!!!

Yay, Oregon!! :)

Thanks for the tip about booking Fantasmic at 30 days. I had planned on doing that already, but it's nice to know ahead of time that the seats can go quickly. I called yesterday right at 8 for Goofy's Kitchen and got someone on the phone right away. When I called today for my Carnation Cafe ressie a little later though, at 9:30, I had to wait about 10 minutes on hold. Probably a coincidence, but I figured it would have been the other way around. You know, everyone trying to call right at 8. :confused3

Make sure you DO see Aladdin.....it is ending it's run in mid-August & it truly is broadway calibur. There are no bad seats, but since it is ending, the crowds will be bigger. We usually have to broil out in the hot sun for an hour before show time.....just warning you...but well worth it!!

So, tomorrow it will be exactly 3 weeks until we leave!! :cool1:

Some minor updates:

I managed to succeed in getting priority seating for Fantasmic! 9:00 show on Monday the 14th. :thumbsup2 For some reason, whenever I have called to make any ressies, I have lost the connection and had to call back. I would be on hold, then it would ring and sounded like someone picked up, but then it would disconnect. :confused3 It very well could have been something with my cell phone, but normally when it drops a call, it's a little different sounding. Plus, each time was the same, with it ringing before disconnecting. Either way, SUCCESS!! :rotfl:

I do have breakfast plans for 2 of our days, GK and CC, but I may have to work in River Belle Terrace after coming across some pics. I think I should add another week to the trip just so I have time to try everything I want. :lmao:

I have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
Since I am here in Oregon and therefore have never pumped gas in my life, I'm wondering if the only way to pay without going inside is with a debit/credit card. If so, I'm considering getting gift cards for gas to maximize our drive time. I am not using my debit card on this trip because it's really hard for me to keep track and not overspend.

Also, I'd like to know how much pedestrian traffic there is on Harbor? I'm basically wanting to know how hard it will be to pull out of BWPPI's parking lot to go North on Harbor. Will it take forever because there are always hordes of people walking?

Sorry, these are the things that run through my head, especially when I think about this trip pretty much all day, everyday. :laughing:

I will post more as anything else pops up in the next few weeks. I plan on having tons of pics to share as well, so make sure you check in after Father's Day. :thumbsup2

Hey there, your plans sound great so far I am super excited for you!! I live in Redding so as far as black bear diner goes its good but its basically just a country type diner, chicken friend steak and burgers type of thing. But i was trying to think of something else that would be better in redding and most of what we have here are chain restaurants so i guess its as good as any. Just dont want it to disappoint you when you find out there isnt much to it. Try to hit the sundial Bridge while you are in Redding if you have time its beautiful especially at night!

The only way to pay or gas here without walking in is with a card. So if you dont want to use your card then gift cards are a good idea, the only concern I would have is what if you cant find the gas station you have a gift card for or they dont have one where you are. You might end up spending more time traveling to find the right gas station then you would have by going inside to pay : )
Traffic on Harbor is pretty well controlled to the cross walks so it shouldnt be to much of a problem.

Hey there, your plans sound great so far I am super excited for you!! I live in Redding so as far as black bear diner goes its good but its basically just a country type diner, chicken friend steak and burgers type of thing. But i was trying to think of something else that would be better in redding and most of what we have here are chain restaurants so i guess its as good as any. Just dont want it to disappoint you when you find out there isnt much to it. Try to hit the sundial Bridge while you are in Redding if you have time its beautiful especially at night!

The only way to pay or gas here without walking in is with a card. So if you dont want to use your card then gift cards are a good idea, the only concern I would have is what if you cant find the gas station you have a gift card for or they dont have one where you are. You might end up spending more time traveling to find the right gas station then you would have by going inside to pay : )
Traffic on Harbor is pretty well controlled to the cross walks so it shouldnt be to much of a problem.

Thanks for the heads up about Black Bear Diner. :) I kinda figured it was pretty basic, but thought it would still be a nice change from the usual Denny's type places and fast food.

As far as the gas gift cards, I planned on getting the Visa cards so that I can hit any gas station along the way. Good to know for sure that I'd have to pay inside otherwise. :thumbsup2

The kiddo got super sick this week. :sad1: All I could think was how glad I am that it happened now and not at Disneyland. I feel guilty, but poor DD said the same thing yesterday. :rotfl: I've been home with her all week taking care of her, so it's meant that I have had to put off my plans to prep the car for the drive (oil, tires, check brakes, wash) until maybe next week.

Aaaaahhhhh!!! The agony!!! I need a serious dose of patience here.

Aww.. I'm sorry your baby got sick. I hope she gets better very soon. I can't wait to read your TR!

Do you have AM/PM Arco's there? You can do cash or debit cards outside at them.

Staying at the BWPPI, it's pretty good. We've stayed there 3 times without a problem and very close. We've never had a problem pulling out as there is a light there. We've also never had a problem with the free breakfast at BWPPI and I know you are doing sit down at the park. You could hop up there and grab a muffin, juice/coffee while going to the park at opening to tide you over.
Have fun and enjoy.

Hi there!!

Your plans look real good. How exciting you are getting your first trip to Disneyland.

We will be there when you are. You picked a good place to stay, the walk shouldn't be too bad.

TokyoDina - thanks for your concern. :goodvibes

Do you have AM/PM Arco's there? You can do cash or debit cards outside at them.

Staying at the BWPPI, it's pretty good. We've stayed there 3 times without a problem and very close. We've never had a problem pulling out as there is a light there. We've also never had a problem with the free breakfast at BWPPI and I know you are doing sit down at the park. You could hop up there and grab a muffin, juice/coffee while going to the park at opening to tide you over.
Have fun and enjoy.

Ahh, I guess I was thinking it was more one way, where we'd come out on the other side of the hotel with no light. But going out at the light would be a heck of a lot easier! ;) Thanks.

Update: I got up off my lazy butt and finally confirmed my reservation with BWPPI. The lady was very nice, even when I kept her on the phone for a few more minutes. She found me in the computer right away, and I asked if I could request a room with 2 beds. I'm not about to share a bed with the biggest bed hog I know! :rotfl: She said she'd mark it on the reservation, and if one becomes available, I'd get it. Then she told me I was currently in a room with a King bed and a sofa pull-out, which I'm excited about, so either way we will get our 2 beds.

Then I asked what kind of a cash deposit they required for incidentals and she told me $30 for the entire stay! :banana: I had been getting worried as I read things about other hotels requiring something like $50 per night, so to hear how small the amount is for this hotel is awesome!

Hi there!!

Your plans look real good. How exciting you are getting your first trip to Disneyland.

We will be there when you are. You picked a good place to stay, the walk shouldn't be too bad.

Yay!! I know, I can hardly contain myself. So you will be dealing with the chaos too. Say hi if you see me, I'll be the person standing there counting to 100 in my head so I don't kill someone in the crowd. :lmao:

Have fun on your trip too!

Yay!! I know, I can hardly contain myself. So you will be dealing with the chaos too. Say hi if you see me, I'll be the person standing there counting to 100 in my head so I don't kill someone in the crowd. :lmao:

Have fun on your trip too!

I'll be the one with the army. There are going to be 9 of us all together. Four adults, four teenagers, and 1 four year old. So, I will be the one pulling out my hair!!:rotfl:
And counting to 100 before I smack someone!!

Hi from a fellow Oregonian!!! We're in Salem but have lived in Medford & North Bend.

Your plan looks pretty good to me!! I do suggest if you do plan on doing the dessert seating for Fantasmic that you call 30 days out (like if you chose June 18th, then call at 8am on May 18th). The seats go quickly!! I think it's totally worth having a seat reserved. If you go to the 9pm show, you will also get to stay seated for the fireworks!!!

I'll keep checking in to see your updates or if you have any questions!!!!

I'll be down there 15-23 June.:dance3:

I will also be down there 15-22 June. Seems like were having an convention.

Without a doubt!! I started a thread on the regular Disneyland side about June trips, if you haven't seen it you should look. There are quite a few June trips.

I'll be the one with the army. There are going to be 9 of us all together. Four adults, four teenagers, and 1 four year old. So, I will be the one pulling out my hair!!:rotfl:
And counting to 100 before I smack someone!!

Wow! If I see you freaking out I can come to your rescue, ok? :rotfl:

Julianh - I know, I feel like we should hold signs or wear tags saying "Oregonian" so we can find each other while we're down there!

Wow! If I see you freaking out I can come to your rescue, ok? :rotfl:

Julianh - I know, I feel like we should hold signs or wear tags saying "Oregonian" so we can find each other while we're down there!

Sounds good to me!!

Remember your lime green Mickey heads!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter