My First "Totally Unclever" Pre-Trip Report - May 2014

saundedj

Earning My Ears
The Necessary Thank You:
Hello Everyone!:wave2:
Thanks to everyone for helping me break a bad habit – serial lurker. I’ve been a long time lurker on the boards but last week I decided to register, respond to posts, post something of my own and finally create this pre-trip report, WOW!

I’ve learned so much from reading the posts on this board.
I’ll be the first to be impressed, awed, jealous, etc. by those individuals that have prepared very organized pre-trip and final trip reports. I’ve read wonderful and witty reports that include an index with links and beautiful pictures.

Warning, I’m not at that level of wonderful so please bear with me as I lay out my plans and thank you again!;)

I am open to suggestions and tips if you see something in this pre-trip report that you believe is not realistic or you have a suggestion for it to be done in a different way. For instance, I’ve never used ONLY Disney transportation to get around and I may not have thought through exactly how challenging this may be for resort dining plans.

Previous Trips:
1977 and 1979: Fort Wilderness Campground with my family when I was younger. Back when there was only the Magic Kingdom and “River Country” the waterpark. The family made the drive from Pennsylvania towing our camper all the way to Florida.

1994: Port Orleans French Quarter (back when it was just Port Orleans). DH and I took DD and Disney Niece for first visit. We tried the Disney Dining Plan for the first time. This was back when it included three sit down meals (tips, taxes, appetizers and desserts), boat rentals, water skiing, etc. We had a blast! We flew down and rented a car.

1997: Caribbean Beach Resort. DH and I again took DD. I can’t remember if we had the dining plan. Flew down and rented a car.

2003: Contemporary Resort. DH and I went with DD, my mom, my dad and Nephew. This was Nephew’s first time. We were originally scheduled for Shades of Green (Disney Dad is Army veteran) but Shades of Green was going through major upgrades and we were offered rooms at the Contemporary. Flew down and rented a car. We paid OOP for all meals.

2006: All Star Sports. DH and I went by ourselves to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. We received a great rate that included DDP. We flew down and rented a car. We had to leave a day early because of a death in the family.

2014 Plans:

Worth Mentioning:

Travel Agent: Never used one before but my job has become quite intense so I made the decision to use a TA for this vacation and it has already paid off! It’s nice to have someone who keeps their eyes and ears open to all possible savings programs and makes sure you take advantage when appropriate - dreamy. NOTE: I’ll probably do this in the future.

Disney Visa: Applied for after we decided this trip was actually going to happen. I choose to do this for the following reasons; 1) My current card rewards program wasn’t as good; 2) Disney Visa was offering a $200.00 gift card for spending $500.00 in the first 6 months; 3) ongoing accumulation of reward points to use towards helping to pay for OOP expenses while in Disney and 4) special perks like early availability offerings before general public. NOTE: To date we have accumulated an additional $200.00 in reward points. I plan to accumulate more points and then add them onto my gift card before leaving.

Snacks: I know that we need to use 35 snack credits. I’ve been trolling the boards and have come up some yummy ideas but I haven’t thought too much about where or when I’ll use them (except for the mini donuts at TL or BB).

Attire: This vacation, the family has already decided to wear our Star Wars t-shirts to Hollywood Studios (DH = Chewbaca, Me = Yoda, DD = Princess Leia, DSIL = Han Solo, DGS = Darth Vader). Who knows what else might transpire in our creative minds before we leave.

New Stuff (To Us): There are several restaurants listed below that are new to us and some old favorites. I’d really like to do a food report, we’ll see. Also, for the first time we will be viewing Illuminations for the boat (hopefully) and enjoying desserts while watching Wishes fireworks.

Cast of Characters:
Me (50): Work full time, no kids at home (unless you count DH), trip planner, recovering DISboards lurker and Disney addict
DH (51): Works full time, no kids at home, loves the end result of my Disney addiction but could care less about the details, big kid at heart
DD (27): Works full time, full-time mother, part-time student, loves Disney, loves planning (alas no time to plan so must trust me to handle things)
SIL (28): Works full time, was in the Disney Intern Program, loves Disney
DGS (5): Full-time Pre-Kindergarten, loves everything Star Wars , Marvel comics and the movie Cars, and first time at Disney. NOTE: He doesn’t know he’s going to Disney and we don’t plan to tell him yet. We are wondering how long we can keep it a secret before he figures it out!

Details:

When: May 3 – 10, 2014
Where: Art of Animation Cars suite
NOTE: A room request will be provided = close to transportation and main pool
How: Flying USAIR from Philadelphia (PHL) direct to Orlando (MCO).
Using DME to get us from MCO to AOA.
Using Disney transportation all week
Why: No need to answer this question, everyone on this board understands.
What: 7-night/8 day resort stay
8-day park hopper with water park and fun option
Disney Dining Plan (Standard)
Misc. Details: Plan to add PhotoPass plus
Plan to use Garden Grocer (or equivalent) to deliver water and breakfast items.

The Itinerary:

Pre-Vacation

• Everyone will be working and trying to keep our “eyes on the prize” – VACATION!
• DD and DSIL have three dogs that need a sitter. I’m counting on them to figure this out.
• DD, DSIL and DGS will be spending Friday night at my house, which is closer to the airport.
• We plan to pack the car with most of the luggage Friday night.

Saturday, May 3, 2014 (Boring travel plans)

• Our flight is scheduled to leave PHL at 6:50am so we’ll need to wake up around 3:30 am (EEK).
• Shower, dress and pack last minute items in car and be on the road to the airport around 4:15am.
• Expect to be at the airport parking facility around 4:40am. Parking facility offers shuttle service to airport.
• Expect to be at the airport around 5:00am and hopefully do curbside check-in and smoothly through security.
• We’ll eat some breakfast at the airport.
• Plane is schedule to arrive at MCO at 9:23 am.
• We’ll use DME to get us to AOA.
• Check in at AOA – no expectations that room is ready

Saturday, May 3, 2014 (Disney Plans)

• Park: Animal Kingdom
• Food: Lunch at Flame Tree BBQ (Using CS credits), Dinner Tusker House - ADR 5pm (Using TS credits).
• Rides: Haven’t made FP+ yet (waiting for window to open – March 4, 2014)

Must Do: Mickey’s Jammin Jungle Parade, Kali River Rapids
• Plan to leave Animal Kingdom at closing time (7pm)
• Back to AOA and get into room (if not available at check-in)
• Get drink mugs
• Unpack,
• Maybe swim before hitting the bed (I’m sure we will be tired silly or silly tired or both)

Sunday, May 4, 2014

• Park: Typhoon Lagoon (subject to change depending on weather)
• Food: Breakfast in Room, Lunch at TL (Using CS Credits), Dinner Boatwright’s ADR 6:30pm (paying OOP)
• Rides: All we are able (we love water parks)
Must Do: Eat the mini donuts at TL, have fun, don’t get sunburn and leave early enough to go back to room for shower, rest and travel to Boatwright’s
• May take boat to Downtown Disney from Port Orleans Riverside (depends on how tired we are)

Monday, May 5, 2014

• Park: Hollywood Studios
• Food: Breakfast in Room, Early Dinner Fantasmic Dinner Pkg. Mama Melrose’s ADR 4:00pm (Using TS credits).
• Rides: Haven’t made FP+ yet (waiting for window to open)
Must Do: Get to HS early enough to sign DGS up for Jedi Training (he lovesssssssssssssss Star Wars!), and see Fantasmic

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

• Park: Magic Kingdom
• Food: Breakfast at Crystal Palace Character Breakfast ADR 8:10am (using TS Credits), lunch at Casey’s Corner (using CS credits), Dinner at Chef Mickey’s ADR 6:55pm (using TS Credits).
Wednesday, May 7, 2014
• Park: Epcot and Magic Kingdom
• Food: Breakfast at Akershus Royal Banquet ADR 8:15am (using TS Credits), Dinner (DD and DSIL Date night) Le Cellier ADR 5:00pm (paying OOP), Late Lunch/Early Dinner (Me, DH and DGS Sunshine Seasons (using CS credits).
Must Do: Give DGS a break back at the room in the afternoon, Magic Kingdom Wishes Dessert Party at the Tomorrow Land Terrace @9:00pm (paid in advance OOP)

Thursday, May 8, 2014

• Park: Blizzard Beach and Epcot
• Food: Breakfast in Room, Lunch at BB (Using CS credits), Dinner Cape May Café ADR 5:00pm (using TS Credits)
Must Do: Don’t get sunburn at BB, leave BB early enough to go back to room for shower, rest and travel to Cape May Café.
Epcot Illuminations Cruise (booked in advance). There’s space for 10 so I had 5 openings. Recently I found a nice couple on the DISboards that were interested in sharing this cruise with us. I still have opening for three people if anyone reading this is interested.

Friday, May 9, 2014

• Park: Magic Kingdom/Epcot or Downtown Disney
• Food: Breakfast at Crystal Palace ADR 8:20am (Use TS credits), Hoping to get Fast Pass Plus reservations for late lunch at BOG (DD, DSIL, and DGS will use CS credits and DH and I will share a CS plate and cupcakes), Dinner (Me and DH date night) at Saratoga Springs Turf Club Bar and Grill ADR 7:05pm (paying OOP), DD, DSIL and DSG (3 TS Credits somewhere)
Must Do: Anything on our individual wish list that we haven’t already done!

Saturday, May 10, 2014 (Check out day – boo hoo):sad:

• Park: Animal Kingdom and TBD
• Food: TBD (Use remaining CS)
Must Do: Pack and check out of hotel, be back at AOA by 4:30pm for DME ride to airport

Saturday, May 10, 2014 (Boring Travel details)

• Leave Disney for MCO airport around 4:50pm
• Flight is scheduled to leave MCO at 7:50pm
• Flight is scheduled to land in Philadelphia at 9:56pm
• Pick up bags
• Shuttle to parking
• Drive Home

Must Do: Begin planning next trip:cheer2:

Thanks for reading!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter