my friend wants me to help her with a touchy situation

Have to say I am the king of "bending" rules and finding ways around things but there is no way I would be involved with this- on either end!

OP, you are right to stay out of it. I am sorry your friend put you in this position. Did she really expect you to agree to her scheme when her own family members refused? I’m sure she is very stressed out and probably desperate. As a caring friend, there are other ways for you to help and show support during this difficult time.

I figured it was shady--just bascially wondered if anyone else ever heard of doing this loan deal ...............

DECADES AGO I heard of this FRAUDULENT scenario as well as others in an attempt to hide money.

It would be fraud and she would be caught. Because if she gave you that loan, they might ask for proof of what you bought with the $.

“I gave my friend $40,000 to buy a car”. OK Friend, show me the paperwork for the purchase of the new $40,000 car.

If her lawyer advised that, she should get a new lawyer.

If her DH is already receiving SS, there is no SS disability. Someone would get SS disability before retirement age. (Someone correct me if I am wrong).

I can't believe a friend would put you in that position .......

It's a little late to move money around now. Perhaps they are only responsible for a portion of their money. The "wife" has to live. They can't touch the house because the "wife" is alive and lives there (and I also believe they can't touch the house if there are minors and/or adult child with disabilities).

They might have to give up part/half of their savings to pay for the care.....curious how this turns out/what happens.

I would be honest and tell her you are not comfortable and don't want to get involved. You can support her in different ways. If the relationship survives, great. If not......it's on her.

While I feel bad for her husband, I would seriously be asking myself if this person was really a friend. I would tell her what she is doing is trying to get you to commit fraud and you don’t need friends like that.

I know that sounds harsh but it’s true.

Sounds like she should ask her lawyer for a refund of the cash she's paid him/her.

A firm NO - would be my answer...

I would not even think about getting involved in this....

Short of getting a divorce, I can't think of anything that would help her out...

Short of getting a divorce, I can't think of anything that would help her out...
There is a couple where I work who come in to do business who are divorced solely because they get more SSDI money (and are proud to tell people, unprompted :sad2:) . They are divorced in name only and are still very much together. Shady, rotten people are everywhere.

The penalties that CMS (the governing body of Medicaid and Medicare) are very high for fraud. You could wind up in jail, let alone the financial penalties. Run far and fast from this suggestion.

Share this site with your friend https://www.johnhowleyesq.com/medicaid-fraud-investigations.html
Granted, it's specific to New York, but it seems to contain a lot of general information like
What is Medicaid fraud?

When a recipient of Medicaid or Family Health Plus benefits is investigated, the investigator may suspect that the recipient did not tell the truth or failed to disclose all of their income and assets when they applied for benefits. Some common types of Medicaid fraud involving recipients include:
  • providing false information on your application or recertification
  • failing to disclose all of your income
  • failing to disclose income earned by a spouse or other household member
  • failing to disclose rent from a tenant or roommate
  • failing to disclose income from a sideline business
  • mortgage payments, car payments, or other expenses that are higher than your reported income
  • concealing information about your income or assets
  • claiming to live in New York City when you actually live someplace else
  • re-selling medicine or products obtained with Medicaid benefits
  • altering, forging, or obtaining duplicate prescriptions
  • receiving treatment or services for which you are not eligible
  • allowing another person to use your health insurance card
  • receiving and using more than one Medicaid card

thanks kaytieelder for that great information link I actually sent it to my friend--hope it will help her--the funny thing with her is that when you question her about something and she thinks its wrong shell get real defensive--as an ex. one of her sons friends actually died of an over dose in their house-- she told me though that he was at a party the night before and ODed there and then died the next morning at my friends house well the police wanted to get this persons phone--I said to my friend sounds like there looking for something--she practially yelled out no there not--Im thinking they wanted this person phone maybe to see if they can figure out where he got the drugs from that killed him I should add that her son has a drug problem and was once caught redhanded selling drugs to an undercover cop--her son hoofed it home--with the police on his heels--they rammed down the backdoor and took the son outside to arrest him--my friend is outside yelling at the cop for arresting her son who just sold him drugs--just a little background on my friend

sorry for getting off track but just thought that maybe a little background into my friend and her life might help to see how she deals with things

most of the time too when you ask her questions she tried to explain things but then she starts saying I dont know
so I, not really sure she doesnt understand how this medicaid works--

Run, don't walk, away from this!! You DO NOT want to get involved!
Might want to re think this friend - sounds like there's a history of other unusual explanations to situations.

In my state it is illegal to divorce a spouse who is in medical/mental health treatment. My friend tried to divorce her abusive husband when he had a stroke, she wasn't allowed and was actually put in charge of his care at the times that he couldn't be responsible for himself! She took her boys and moved into an apartment but was still forced to care for her husband, or arrange for his care. You have to satisfy a waiting period before divorcing and even during the waiting period you can physically separate but you can't separate your finances; so even if they separated, the wife in OP's scenario would still be financially responsible for her husband's care. I would guess there are similar laws that apply to OP's friend's situation, and that is why they don't simply divorce.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter