My Goal --- To BQ some day. Next attempt Fall 2013

David Glad to see you popped over to the Events/Competition forum to post. Good luck on your upcoming race. I bet you'll do great. Your training looks really solid. All of us WISH'ers will be rooting for you.

Maura

Here is a graph of my running ups and downs.

RunningHistoryPic.jpg

Week ending 9/19

Sun 20.0 miles, 8:35 pace, 136 HR
Mon AM 8.5 miles, 9:06 pace, 127 HR
Mon PM 5.5 miles, 8:50 pace, 128 HR
Tue 10.4 miles, 8:48 pace, 135 HR including 6 strides
Wed 13.8 miles, 8:44 pace, 135 HR
Wed PM 5.7 miles, 8:57 pace, 128 HR
Thu 8.1 miles, 8:47 pace, 135 HR
Fri 10.4 miles, 8:27 pace, 138 HR including 6 strides
Sat 8.3 miles, 8:49 pace, 128 HR

Total 90.7 miles, 8:45 pace, 132 HR

Had only planned on running 18 on Sunday but the weather was cool and my legs felt great so went a little further. After not running much last week my legs didn't feel good again until Friday.

I have a 10K next Saturday. That is my first race in almost 2 years. Not sure what kind of race shape I am in. I will probably lower the mileage Thursday and Friday so my legs feel good on Saturday.

Been forever since I have posted. I ran the Charlotte marathon and am getting ready to run the Myrtle Beach marathon in February. I missed my 3:20 goal in Charlotte. Here is the race report if you are interested.

Charlotte Thunder Road race report 12/12/09

3:27:47 Chip Time, exactly a 1 minute PR.

My goal was a sub 3:20. I thought I had a good chance for it based on my training and two tune up races. I averaged 73 MPW since May and 81 MPW the last 10 weeks before taper. The two tune up races were a 42:21 10K in September and a 32:25 8K in November. Both races were in Charlotte on similar terrain as the marathon.

It was cold at the start, 27 degrees. It was about 38 degrees at the finish. My Hrmax is 187 for reference. As I was standing at the starting line I noticed my HR was fluctuating between 100-110. I know it was per-race excitement and also knew my HR would be higher during the race then in training. Was also shivering from the cold. Maybe that had something to do with it. Plan was to run by feel and try to run an even effort up and down the hills.

Miles,

1- 7:22 pace 155 HR,

2- 7:48 166

3- 7:23 166

4- 7:36 166

5- 8:01 170

6- 7:39 169

7- 7:39 170

8- 7:32 172

9- 7:34 171

10 7:36 172

11 7:36 172 Up until now I am feeling OK, I am trying to run by feel.

12- 7:48 174

13- 7:54 172 13.1 split 1:40:25

14- 7:52 172

15- 7:42 171

16- 7:55 173

17- 7:58 172

18- 7:54 173

19- 7:57 174 During these miles I knew I wasn't going sub 3:20. My legs were starting to hurt on the downhills. On the uphills my HR was so high I just couldn't push it. My wife handed me a water bottle at 18 and I told her it wasn't going to happen. I didn't tell her that I was afraid of a major blow up.

20- 8:25 172

21- 8:21 175

22- 8:23 175

23- 8:31 171

24- 8:18 174

25- 8:38 174

26- 8:28 176

26.2 – 1:58 181

These miles really hurt. I walked a few seconds about 4-5 times. I never hit the wall, I just couldn't go any faster. My legs hurt so bad I was dreading the downhill sections more then the uphills . The course was relentless. Up and down the whole time and turning constantly.

Final Chip time 3:27:47 a PR by exactly one minute. Here is a elevation profile.

marathon-elevation-2008.jpg

I am left with a some questions today. You can look at my training by clicking on the Running History link to see my LR's and MP workouts.

Why was my HR so high? I have been doing 60 mins plus MP runs almost every week for 6 months. My HR is almost always in the 155-160 range the whole time?
How can I run easy pace 8:15-8:30 all the time at a HR of 135-140 but when I run 30-45 seconds faster my HR jumps so much?
How can I run so bad after the 2 tune-up races and all the miles. 3:20 was NOT a stretch goal. I know I didn't run any Tempo pace or faster workouts. But it was a decision to try to get to the starting line healthy by trading faster workouts for mileage and MP workouts. I had lots of great LR's and MP runs in the last 6 months. I got stronger every month.

I am running Myrtle Beach in 9 weeks. If I can't hit a 3:20 then I will probably set a fall goal of sub 3:30 for a BQ in 2012.

Hey David,

Glad to see your still at it. It looks like Thunder Road was a good race. It is a tough course and you still managed a PR. That is excellent considering all you have been through. Sorry you didn't get that BQ. Myrtle beach will be a better race for that.

I was at Thunder Road as a spectator. My wife ran the half. She also PR'd.

I am still in training for Boston. I am using the same program I used at Kiawah to qualify; Pfitzingers 18 week 70mile program. I am only in week 4, but I feel great. I am going to try a 3:10. At this point I think it is doable, but we'll see as the training progresses if it is reasonable.

Just briefly looking at your training log, are you doing any speed work? Your pace and heart rate look great for those workouts you have been doing, but I don't see any faster runs. I know you had done some tune-up races, but you might benefit from some solid speed work. Late in the training period I will run some track intervals, ranging from 400-1600m, all run at a 5k pace(6:25) But too many track workouts seem to hurt my old body. I have found doing some runs that focus on Lactate Threshold to be great. For example I have a 9 mile run I will ramp up pace to a 15k pace (6:55) and hold it for 4 miles. then I will dial it back to a moderate pace, like 8:30. Also I will do some longer distance marathon pace runs. Like if I had a 17 miler, I would do 14 at marathon pace. The program worked great and it got me a 3:15 better than I was hoping at 3:20. If you want I can PM you the training schedule, or if you are in the Ballantyne/Marvin area you are welcome to borrow the book.

I have a friend, Kevin, who also ran Thunder road. This guy is fast. He has a 1:22 half marathon PR. He logs 90+ miles a week. He has been running for years,... but he is denser than a stone. No joke this guy has run around 20 marathons in an attempt to break the 3 hour mark. His training is terrible. Although he varies his distance, he runs the same pace all the time; which is fast. He was running 7 days a week, up until myself and some of my sub 3:00 friends razed him about not taking a break. He runs hurt. He has never followed any program that has been created by elite runners who live and breath running. He doesn't cross train. And to make matters worse, he has gotten so use to not meeting his goal that during the last three Chicago marathons, he actually brought a credit card so he could pay for a cab to take him to the finish. He came as close as usual at Thunder road. He ran a 3:02.

And to ice the cake, we have another friend. Paul, who on his 3rd marathon ran Chicago last year in 2:58. Paul knows how to train. He swears by Jack Daniels running programs, which seem to me to be more complicated, but are a lot more flexible. Daniels programs still include speed workouts.

Anyway, Kevin is running Myrtle beach as well. Hopefully he will vary his training, but I doubt it. Paul and I might jump out and rabbit him to a sub 3.

Paul, myself, and two other friends won the Marine Mud challenge at Belmont Abbey this year. We did a lot of speed and strength work and I think it is paying off even now.

Again, glad to see you back at it. Good luck. Maybe I'll see you at Myrtle Beach.

Dave

Well I am back at it. After following my yearly routine of backing way off of my running during the winter I am ready to try for another BQ. I really don't plan to be lazy but I guess my mind and body need the break.

I went back to my first post in 2008 and realize that my plan is still the same.

Keys to achieving my goal in order of importance:

1. Stay healthy
2. Lose 15 pounds
3. Average 65 miles per week from now until the race.
4. Have a good training cycle using Daniels' Plan A

I have gained about 15 pounds since the marathon in December.

Here is my mileage so far this year.

Jan 138 HR, 8:53 pace, 148 miles
Feb 139 HR, 9:14 pace, 49 miles
Mar 145 HR, 9:00 pace, 119 miles
Apr 141 HR, 8:57 pace, 195 miles

I am going to run the Kiawah Marathon in December. Boston 2011 will probably be sold out by then. I will need a sub 3:30 for Boston 2012. Might just age into a BQ :)

David

I have decided to change my name back to my old name. I have been so lazy this summer that I don't deserve to have the word "running" in my name.

Here is my mileage since the last post.

May 140 HR, 8:55 pace, 175 miles
Jun 140 HR, 8:54 pace, 178 miles
Jul 140 HR, 9:02 pace, 145 miles
Aug 139 HR, 9:12 pace, 129 miles

Don't really have any excuses, just haven't been very motivated. Sure it has been hotter then normal this summer but I live in SC and it hasn't bothered me before. I won't be racing this fall. I am no where near race shape or weight. I am up to 162 pounds so that is about 20 pounds heavier then I was last fall.

So once again it is time to start fresh. Goal now is to lose 20 pounds and get back in shape. I will make a commitment to run every day. Even if it is for just 30 mins. Second thing I will do is join a WISH mileage team to help keep me be accountable and motivated.

My wife and I are also going to WDW form 9/11-9/19. So I will try to run at least 30 mins a day while I am there. We are doing to DxDP for most of the trip so I won't get to hung up about calories while I am there.

David

Back from 8 days at WDW. Lots of eating and drinking. It was a great week but I only ran for 40 mins one day. Did a ton of walking.

Ran for an hour this morning. Brought my lunch to work. Goal is to bring a couple of sandwiches to work every day instead of eating out.

Well September is in the books. It was a horrible running month for me.

68 miles, 9:15 pace, 142 HR

Goal for October is 200 miles. Started out with a nice 45 minute run this morning. I was 162 pounds with morning.

Looks like I won't be ready to try again to qualify for Boston until December 2011. Guess if it was easy it wouldn't mean as much to me.

Ok, I am back :)

Current weight is 167. That is 25 pounds heavier then when I ran the Charlotte marathon in Dec 09. That is also 32 pounds over my goal weight of 135.

I hardly ran at all the last few months. That is all the bad news.

The good news-- I am finally getting excited about trying to BQ again. The old saying has been true for me. You can't run another marathon until you get over your last one. The Charlotte marathon in Dec 09 BEAT ME DOWN. I am more excited now than at anytime in 2010. I just wasn't ready to do it all again last year.

February is going well. I am not worried about pace. I am just running for time now. Goal this week is 7 hours of running.

Yesterday I ran 10.1 miles at 9:40 pace and today ran 6.7 miles at 9:45 pace. Heart rate is coming down so I am getting back in shape. The more weight I lose the faster I will get.

Ohh, some more good news. I just turned 44 last month. I now only need a 3:30 marathon on BQ because I will be 45 in April of 2012. So the plan is to run Kiawah for the third time this December and if I BQ I will run the Boston Marathon in April 2013.

David

Had good week last week. Ran everyday, first time since early October.

50.5 miles, 9:41 pace, 143 heart rate

I am not worried about pace at this time.

Haven't posted in awhile. Training has been great. I am back to running everyday. That works best for me.

Finished February with 131 miles, 9:36 average pace, 145 average HR.

March has been much more consistent. Have only missed 2 days so far. Ran 63.7 miles last week and should be 60 + this week.

So far this month I have run 173 miles, 9:17 average pace, 141 average HR. I am improving quickly.

I also weighed 161 pounds yesterday morning. So I am down about 7 pounds since February 1st. 26 more pounds to go.

David

Today ended another good week for me. Second week at 60+ miles.

Sun 13.2 miles, 9:09 avg pace, 145 avg HR Was going to run 15+ but was feeling a bit off, so I cut it short. For some reason my HR was pretty high.

Mon 7.1 miles, 9:17 pace, 138 HR
Tues 8.3 miles, 9:09 pace, 139 HR with 6 strides
Weds 10.6 miles, 9:15 pace, 141 HR
Thur 8.0 miles, 9:17 pace, 136 HR
Fri 7.1 miles, 9:18 pace, 135 HR
Sat 6.8 miles, 9:04 pace, 141 HR

Total 61.1 miles, 9:12 avg pace, 139 avg HR

Planning on running another 60+ miles next week then push it up to 70 miles per week in April.

Still making progress on the weight loss but it is slow. I am tracking calories with Lose-it on my phone.

Lose-it is a great application! Another one you might want to try is the LIVESTRONG Calorie Tracker, just to have another frame of reference for food.

Time for an update. Down to 155 pounds. Actually been the same for about a month.

Here are my monthly totals.

Feb 131 miles, 9:36 pace, 145 HR
Mar 231 miles. 9:16 pace, 141 HR
Apr 246 miles, 8:57 pace, 139 HR
May 238 miles, 8:52 pace, 139 HR

Making good progress. Goal weight is 135. But will be happy with anything less then 140 on race day.

My mileage goal is 300+ miles for June. So far so good. Finished this week with 70 miles. Highest weekly total since Nov 09.

David

I didn't run a race last year. My mileage and training tapered off in the early fall. Not sure what the problem was, just lost my drive to get into race shape. I am feeling much better now. Just have to get the weight off. I peaked at 171 in April. I am 163 today which is 8 pounds heavier then I was a year ago.

I am planning on running either the Disney or the Myrtle Beach (February) marathon in 2013. Still haven't decided but am leaning towards the Myrtle Beach marathon. Goal is stil to be in the 135-140 range on race day.

I only ran 10 miles in Jan, 17 miles in Feb, 37 miles in Mar, and 46 miles in Apr. BUT I am back at it and ran 228 miles in May. It was slow, average pace was 9:36 but I am not worried about that. The pace will quicken as I get in shape and lose weight.

Ohh, I also turned 45 in January so my BQ time is now 3:30 !!!!

David

Time for an update.

June - 271 miles, 9:17 pace, 140 Avg HR
July - 207 miles, 9:13, pace, 138 Avg HR

Mileage was great in June. Had to back off some in July the ankle was bothering me. Feeling good now and the mileage is back up so far in August. My weight is down to 157. Kind of dissapointed. I have only lost 6 pounds in 2 months.

I am planning on running the Myrtle Beach Marathon in February. I will need a 3:25 to BQ.

Well I watched the YouTube video of the Micky medal and signed up for the Goofy. So I am going to have fun(if I can) and not stress about the BQ this time. Going to WDW 9/1-9/9, staying at BLT with the wife. No kids, no parks, just a relaxing time wining and dining.

My 18 week marathon plan starts on 9/9. I am doing a modified 55-70 MPW. I am adding mileage to bump it up about 10 MPW. I didn't think I was ready for the 85 plan. Base building has gone well. Averaged 55 MPW since I started back 5/1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter