My Grandmother

tlionheart78

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone. I signed up to the forum about a week or two ago and have been hanging out in the Singles section of the site. More to the point, my dad, younger sister, and I saw my 93 year old grandmother this afternoon. She isn't sick or anything, however she is showing strong signs of slowing down (low blood pressure, low oxygen in her lungs, etc.). I'm pretty much prepared for the worst, but I'm really hoping that when the time comes that she'll go back to my grandfather and mother peacefully.

Any thoughts, prayers, and pixie dust would be more than a lot for my family and me. Thanks so much.

:welcome:

I am sorry for what you are going through.:grouphug: I will pray for her and your family.

Having said that. My Grandmother passed away 25 years ago, and until I had my children, she was the most important person who had ever been in my life. I treasured her always, and have MANY memories.:littleangel:

UPDATE:

Well since my last post, she's been transferred from assisted living to a hospital and has been there since Monday. She's still in good health but still slowing down. My dad, brother-in-law and eldest niece saw her today and almost didn't recognize my B-I-L, thought my niece was my younger sister, and didn't even know my dad was there. She's been sleeping (alot) and hardly eating. I've been hearing stuff from moving her to a nursing home or for rehab, so that's been up in the air. One thing that is for certain, she's wearing a purple bracelet with specific instructions: "DNR." For those not in the know, that's short for Do Not Resuscitate.

We're still doing fine, but we're taking all of this a day at a time.

Thank you for updating. You were in my thoughts a lot the past few days.
I wish it were a better one, but alas.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

It's been awhile, I know, but there have been developments. A lot of major ones.

After my grandmother left the hospital, she was transferred to a nursing home/therapy center not too far from us. During that time, she had...well, to say the least... pretty much what I like to call a jumbled up brain. By that I mean, she got not only her days and what time of day it was messed up, but all of her memories were pretty much jumbled up that she wasn't making much sense. We soon found out that during her tenure during the hospital, she had suffered a heart attack and had messed up her brain. It was so messed up at one point that she thought she was so well that she got out of her wheelchair and fell and hit her head. She was rushed to a new hospital, but was soon released.

Well, we all thought that things would be like this, y'know, keeping my grandmother in the swing of things by getting her mind back together. That is, until last Sunday when we got a call from the nursing home that they were going to rush her to the hospital because her vital signs were dropping. We soon learned that she had Urinary Tract Infection and Pneumonia. At times, her vitals were either steady or dropping, so it's been a bit of a roller coaster for her. Today, I found out that the family is braced for the inevitable because we now have got her set up for hospice.

I'm going to be honest in saying that I'm more than prepared for this. She is 93 years old, has lead a full life and my late grandfather and late mother are eagerly waiting for her. I've come to full acceptance of all of this and all I want now for her is nothing but peace for her. I know that as a fresh newb (I still feel that way. :)), many folks on here are still strangers to me. But the fact that there are people out there praying for her means so much to me and my family. Please continue with the prayers, thoughts, and pixie dust (I love saying that :goodvibes) and just focus on the peace she truly deserves.

On a side note, I resolved that on my next trip I would make sure to ride "It's A Small World" in her memory. It may not seem like much to many, but for me and my low tolerance of repetitive songs, it's a Herculean task! :laughing:

What a wonderful outlook you have. She is truly a great great lady, to have a granddaughter such as yourself. Stand tall and be proud.

I wish it was with better news, but thanks for the update. Your family is always in my prayers. Godbless :grouphug:

It's been awhile, I know, but there have been developments. A lot of major ones.

After my grandmother left the hospital, she was transferred to a nursing home/therapy center not too far from us. During that time, she had...well, to say the least... pretty much what I like to call a jumbled up brain. By that I mean, she got not only her days and what time of day it was messed up, but all of her memories were pretty much jumbled up that she wasn't making much sense. We soon found out that during her tenure during the hospital, she had suffered a heart attack and had messed up her brain. It was so messed up at one point that she thought she was so well that she got out of her wheelchair and fell and hit her head. She was rushed to a new hospital, but was soon released.

Well, we all thought that things would be like this, y'know, keeping my grandmother in the swing of things by getting her mind back together. That is, until last Sunday when we got a call from the nursing home that they were going to rush her to the hospital because her vital signs were dropping. We soon learned that she had Urinary Tract Infection and Pneumonia. At times, her vitals were either steady or dropping, so it's been a bit of a roller coaster for her. Today, I found out that the family is braced for the inevitable because we now have got her set up for hospice.

I'm going to be honest in saying that I'm more than prepared for this. She is 93 years old, has lead a full life and my late grandfather and late mother are eagerly waiting for her. I've come to full acceptance of all of this and all I want now for her is nothing but peace for her. I know that as a fresh newb (I still feel that way. :)), many folks on here are still strangers to me. But the fact that there are people out there praying for her means so much to me and my family. Please continue with the prayers, thoughts, and pixie dust (I love saying that :goodvibes) and just focus on the peace she truly deserves.

On a side note, I resolved that on my next trip I would make sure to ride "It's A Small World" in her memory. It may not seem like much to many, but for me and my low tolerance of repetitive songs, it's a Herculean task! :laughing:

Today is a lousy day for tears. Please understand that I have sent my prayers for your grams to heaven. What God wills is what will happen. My grams never made it past 72. My grampa succumbed at 81. I was raised by them and they were my life blood. Losing them was hard, but it was easy to let go, knowing that they had special places to run to. Happiness was there and it was pain/suffering free. .
Your grammy is in my prayers, we had this discussion. . .it will continue until such time that God finds her a mansion or she rejoins us. . .whatever is her fate. Only God knows. . .

I'm currently sitting in the nursing home with my dad as I type this, hearing my Grandmother's breathing becoming more shallow and slower. It won't be much longer now...

Thanks again, everyone, for your prayers and support.

I've just now read this. My mother died last April at the age of 93. So I know that 93 is a good age. It sounds like your grandmother is dealing with her last hours. We were able to bring mom home with the help of Hospice. She lasted only 5 days at home. I wish we had brought her here sooner.

Hang in there.

Before I begin, on behalf of my family, I want to thank you all who took the time to read this and to send your thoughts and prayers to us during this trying time.

As one might expect from my last update, this is as some would expect the final update on the whole thread. My grandmother lived a full, long life at the age of 93 years when she went home on November 16 at 3:45 AM. My dad was with her in those final moments. My younger sister and I insisted on staying with him, but he was even more insistent than us by telling us to go back to our homes and wait for the news. According to him when the time came, he said that she had died peacefully, just as she requested. The past week has been quite busy for all of us as we arranged the funeral and laid her to rest with my grandfather in west Tennessee. It wasn't hard for all of us not to shed a tear for my grandmother as we all believed (she more specifically) that she was more than ready to leave this world. Knowing that we weren't mourning for the loss, we took the time to celebrate the long life she had and the memories that we had of her. I think that is what made the whole thing easier on all of us.

With all of that said and done, there's just a few things that need to be finished (such as cleaning out her old apartment at her former residence). But, other than that, things are okay as far as I can see.:goodvibes

I'll see ya later Mom (what my family and I called her). Send my love to Pop and Momma (my mother) for me. :littleangel:

tlionheart73, I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother~ your love for her is apparant. I know you will miss her, may the wonderful memories and love you have for her be a comfort to you in this difficult time. :hug:

pretend_to_hug_you-1441.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter