• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Husband passed away and I'm left without medical insurance now.

As if it isn't bad enough going through the loss of the love of my life. I knew they would stop his Social security since I'm under 60 but he passed away the end of December and they took his check out of our account because he had to be alive every day of the month.

Linda

Linda so sorry for your loss. I lost my wife last April so I know what you are going through.

It's lousy that they don't even pro-rate the payment for the number of days they are alive in that month, as you know they could pass away on the 29th and they will take the money back for the entire month. It makes it like they never existed for that month. We were getting payments for our 11yo DD through SS and SSI payments for my DW through Railroad Retirement due to my job. SS was easy to deal with, got a couple letters from them and they all started out giving their condolences and everything was taken care of with in 10 days after she passed. Railroad Retirement on the other hand was very cold and mater of fact. The letter they sent me said they "might" have to reclaim money. I knew they would but they never gave me any notice. Looked in my bank account and it was gone less then 24 hours after I had left a message with them. They had to take two months back as they were notified of her death but did not know what date and by that time they had paid another month. Luckily there was plenty in the account.

Once again I am sorry for your loss.

Yes, check your state's Healthcare Market. Mine has an estimator where you can plug in your income and see if you receive any assistance. I'm paying $404 a month for Blue Cross without assistance.
Additional unsolicited advice: Did you get your $55 from Social Security? I know it's not a big deal but do get it. Make sure you can put your hands on your marriage certificate so you have it when it comes time to file for his Social Security. Be careful with your taxes for 2020; invest in a program or a person.
I've been widowed 27 months: sending you a big hug.

ACA plans are completely state dependent. Some states offer affordable options with decent coverage. Others do not.

As if it isn't bad enough going through the loss of the love of my life. I knew they would stop his Social security since I'm under 60 but he passed away the end of December and they took his check out of our account because he had to be alive every day of the month. I've been covered on his policy for 32 years for medical insurance and before that from my job. I can pay $1000/month for Cobra for just myself but that seems steep and I don't have a big income. Where do I start my search? Is that price steep or is that average for good insurance. Our state charges you if we have a lapse in insurance, just seems like adding insult to injury.

Linda

This is not insurance related but if you plan o filing for Social Security anytime in the near future please keep in mind that you qualify for Survivors benefits on his SS. Spousal benefits are limited to maximum 50% of what his benefit would be at his FRA (full retirement age) whereas Survivor benefits are not. Depending on who has the higher benefit and the age you start collecting benefits this can make a significant difference.

Also, the subsidy a person qualifies for on a ACA plan is based on your location and what your MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) is on your federal tax filing, If you can keep that low you may qualify for significant subsidy assistance. Several ways are to contribute to a deductible IRA, choose a High Deductible / HSA health plan and contribute to the HSA, or if you are a homeowner take out a home equity loan on the home and use 1/5 of those funds each year till 65 when you qualify for medicare, as that money is not considered income.

One last thing - I noticed you said you were under 60. I don't know how much under be you can start drawing from retirement accounts at 59½.

Last edited:

You are dealing with so much ! :(

My neighbor drives a school bus (which is only like 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon). She can be on the schools insurance too! You might want to see about that. Where we live, drivers are in such high demand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter