My Jiminy & The DDP... Am I Nuts??

melomouse

DIS Veteran
Ok - I don't want to start a debate that's likely done a few hundred threads by now. I keep reading. I just don't get all the hoopla about what I suspect is "over" maximizing the plan. I keep reading and try to get information and decide what's best for OUR trip.

I want to try places I've never tried before, partly because DS will not be with us this trip and partly because FDP affords us the opportunity to try more pricey restaurants I normally would think twice about if I were paying cash outright every meal.

I will also add that I tend to overeat, especially on vacation. I love ice cream snacks and probably, if I have timed it right and it's not too hot, CAN do a CS and a TS, appetizer and dessert included!

DD will be an adult at 10 by the time our trip rolls around late September.We are lucky enough to have free dining. I am happy with our price for PH and a 6 night stay at POR. Were I paying for DDP - each adult day would be about $40/day. We are definitely going to eat more than $80 worth of food each day.Our credits will definitely work out using a combo of 2 credit meals and 1 credit meals.

Am I missing something about human nature than I'd rather not know?? Why look for "loopholes" when the plan is ALREADY more than generous?? Why do folks look for permission from a CM, the fine print, the "snack code logos" to try and figure out how to get something "worth" a few cents or a few dollars more??

I feel like I am naive sometimes, or a poor planner, or not taking proper "advantage" as I prepare for this trip. Are we over-emphasizing the food aspect here or what? I'm the eater and I don't get it.

Because many of us know that we can pay highly discounted rates for our rooms, and that by charging us rack room rates, they're probably making up for anything "lost" by the free dining.

As for maximizing the value, I have to justify it to myself to take another (short notice, unplanned) trip down there. (And to my husband). If I can show him how much we are saving by getting free dining, it helps the cause.

melomouse said:
Ok - I don't want to start a debate that's likely done a few hundred threads by now. I keep reading. I just don't get all the hoopla about what I suspect is "over" maximizing the plan. I keep reading and try to get information and decide what's best for OUR trip.

I want to try places I've never tried before, partly because DS will not be with us this trip and partly because FDP affords us the opportunity to try more pricey restaurants I normally would think twice about if I were paying cash outright every meal.

I will also add that I tend to overeat, especially on vacation. I love ice cream snacks and probably, if I have timed it right and it's not too hot, CAN do a CS and a TS, appetizer and dessert included!

DD will be an adult at 10 by the time our trip rolls around late September.We are lucky enough to have free dining. I am happy with our price for PH and a 6 night stay at POR. Were I paying for DDP - each adult day would be about $40/day. We are definitely going to eat more than $80 worth of food each day.Our credits will definitely work out using a combo of 2 credit meals and 1 credit meals.

Am I missing something about human nature than I'd rather not know?? Why look for "loopholes" when the plan is ALREADY more than generous?? Why do folks look for permission from a CM, the fine print, the "snack code logos" to try and figure out how to get something "worth" a few cents or a few dollars more??

I feel like I am naive sometimes, or a poor planner, or not taking proper "advantage" as I prepare for this trip. Are we over-emphasizing the food aspect here or what? I'm the eater and I don't get it.

I'm with you! :thumbsup2

I did the dining plan (free) last Sept/Oct and all I did was plan a TS each day and winged the rest. I didn't drive myself crazy trying to maximize it to make it worth more. Too much stress in that for me.

I used the DDP last month (paid for it) and it was a terrific value. My reason for "maximizing" the plan was so that I could cover my last day at WDW (since I had one day more than I had credits to cover) and to also slip in a few CS breakfasts that wouldn't have otherwise been covered. I maximized the plan by sharing meals. It didn't take all sorts of crazy pre-planning, nor do I consider it a "loophole" in any way. There would have been too much food for us if we didn't share and food would have been wasted. Obviously I wouldn't have shared meals if it was going to leave us hungry, but we were actually stuffed to the point of discomfort several times, even with shared meals.

My plan when we return for the free dining was originally to maximize the credits even more than we did last time. I planned on fewer buffets and more shared TS meals. I figured every breakfast would then be covered. My plans may change a bit now that the snack credits have been expanded and they can basically cover breakfast meals now.

Beatty family - :thanks:
Coming from you - I feel a bit LESS nutz!

Good thought on the breakfast thought, formernyer, thanx. I need an extra ice cream sundae like a hole in the head, but an AM tummy-filler will be cool!!!

melomouse said:
Beatty family - :thanks:
Coming from you - I feel a bit LESS nutz!

Good thought on the breakfast thought, formernyer, thanx. I need an extra ice cream sundae like a hole in the head, but an AM tummy-filler will be cool!!!

:goodvibes :wave2: I guess we're both a little nutz! ;)

To the OP I would say your perspective is one of commendable nature.

Many things in life, one can get away with. To some I think they just enjoy the challenge of seeing if they can. As you said I can't imagine anyone truly needs that much more food that the plan actually covers.

Personally I just try to always take the high road, even if it's easy to take the other path and some CM is telling me go for it.

For many that try to maximize through loop holes I think the idea is that Disney got $X number of dollars from me and I've got to "get them back". The funny part is that in getting them back, Disney gets them to open their wallet some more and pay them more $$--yup you saved $60 by saving that child credit to use for an adult meal--BUT you paid for the meal plan in full and then you opened your wallet to pay once again for the OOP choice. Either way they still get more $$ from you. :confused3

All the members of my family are now considered adults on the dining plan and I suggested to DH that if DD wanted to order off a children's menu we'd just pay OOP for it--sounded good until I realized that to encourage her to do this I would be spending more $$ and also that she had trouble finding children's choices that she liked at CS especially and at a few TS's when a child on the plan last year. I will not be paying for children's choices OOP unless it is a last resort--which I doubt will happen since she has very expensive tastes.

patsal said:
All the members of my family are now considered adults on the dining plan and I suggested to DH that if DD wanted to order off a children's menu we'd just pay OOP for it--sounded good until I realized that to encourage her to do this I would be spending more $$ and also that she had trouble finding children's choices that she liked at CS especially and at a few TS's when a child on the plan last year. I will not be paying for children's choices OOP unless it is a last resort--which I doubt will happen since she has very expensive tastes.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: LOL, patsal!! Maybe we have the same kid. I just posted on another thread that it's DD who wants to "check out" the Epcot resorts!! She has her eyes on BC and YC for her future trips and does enjoy shrimp and creme Brulee!! What's a mother to do?????:confused3

I don't think it's about getting a few extra dollars out of the plan. I think it's about making it work so your credits are used in the best way for your family for the whole trip. Some people share meals, some pay OOP, or look for other ways to cover their meals for various reasons like:

They get to WDW early on the 1st day and leave late on the last day; the plan only allows for 1 days worth of credits for these 2 days assuming you'll arrive late afternoon and leave early afternoon (or arrive early morning and leave early morning).

They have 2 credit meals which will leave them short 1 meal on another day.

They normally eat breakfast at WDW, the credits only allow 2 meals/day.

They have children who will not eat what is on the children's menu (or just won't eat as many toddlers do), this is especially a problem at the CS where the childrens menu is very limited and doesn't even offer pizza at pizza places or burgers at burger places.

They have light eaters who won't eat all that is allowed and don't want to waste food.

These are all reasons (and there's probably others) for why people try to maximize how they use the dining plan they've paid for (even in free dining you've paid the rack rate room so it's not really free). I really doubt many people are looking to maliciously get at much as they can by working the loopholes. Most just look for ways it works for them and it evens out at the end; like I plan to use some of my DD's credits for adult meals at CS because of the limited menu which I'm sure she won't be happy eating chicken nuggets & mac and cheese all week, but I'm also using my TS at character breakfasts & Sci Fi which are very low value for the credit, thus it all evens out :hippie:

Calie

calie_j said:
I don't think it's about getting a few extra dollars out of the plan. I think it's about making it work so your credits are used in the best way for your family for the whole trip. Some people share meals, some pay OOP, or look for other ways to cover their meals for various reasons like:

They get to WDW early on the 1st day and leave late on the last day; the plan only allows for 1 days worth of credits for these 2 days assuming you'll arrive late afternoon and leave early afternoon (or arrive early morning and leave early morning).

They have 2 credit meals which will leave them short 1 meal on another day.

They normally eat breakfast at WDW, the credits only allow 2 meals/day.

They have children who will not eat what is on the children's menu (or just won't eat as many toddlers do), this is especially a problem at the CS where the childrens menu is very limited and doesn't even offer pizza at pizza places or burgers at burger places.

They have light eaters who won't eat all that is allowed and don't want to waste food.

These are all reasons (and there's probably others) for why people try to maximize how they use the dining plan they've paid for (even in free dining you've paid the rack rate room so it's not really free). I really doubt many people are looking to maliciously get at much as they can by working the loopholes. Most just look for ways it works for them and it evens out at the end; like I plan to use some of my DD's credits for adult meals at CS because of the limited menu which I'm sure she won't be happy eating chicken nuggets & mac and cheese all week, but I'm also using my TS at character breakfasts & Sci Fi which are very low value for the credit, thus it all evens out :hippie:

Calie

Calie - I never suggested that people were looking "maliciously" to seek loopholes! Geez!!

I guess I am amazed at the mental gymnastics that seem to be associated with all the ins and outs of the DP = free or otherwise. It seems to me that for some families, it's just NOT a good plan because of the variables you have listed above, and folks are trying to MAKE it work, despite different families, needs, ages, appetites, arrival & departures,etc. - where it just not be worth all the THINKING about it. I read my menus, planned loosely by day, made the ADR's and now I'm researching some specifics on park days. We are all different....

But....I do know for sure that folks abusing the FDP has resulted in a likely inconvenience for my upcoming trip because Disney has had to institute prevention policies on check-in.

(Not referring toanyone here at the DIS, of course!!!!).:cool1:

I'm waiting for someone to start talking about the savings of eating at a buffet. Yes I know the fixed cost is lower than a TS meal, however, if i go back 4 times and eat 5 small desserts, and my picky kids actually eat.....
:rotfl2: :lmao: :cool1:

melomouse said:
Calie - I never suggested that people were looking "maliciously" to seek loopholes! Geez!!

I guess I am amazed at the mental gymnastics that seem to be associated with all the ins and outs of the DP = free or otherwise. It seems to me that for some families, it's just NOT a good plan because of the variables you have listed above, and folks are trying to MAKE it work, despite different families, needs, ages, appetites, arrival & departures,etc. - where it just not be worth all the THINKING about it. I read my menus, planned loosely by day, made the ADR's and now I'm researching some specifics on park days. We are all different....

But....I do know for sure that folks abusing the FDP has resulted in a likely inconvenience for my upcoming trip because Disney has had to institute prevention policies on check-in.

(Not referring toanyone here at the DIS, of course!!!!).:cool1:

Oh my, I didn't think you were implying anything. I was just stating my own opinion that those who do look to use the plan maliciously/abusively (making up fake children or eating at all signature restaurants and bringing peanut butter sandwiches for their kids :rotfl2: ) is few and far between. I myself can't imagine trying to figure out how to do a bunch of signature & other extra TS by using child points and then trying to figure out how to use all the CS, not that there's anything wrong with it just not willing to think that hard myself or have a bunch of CS unused.

I think you hit the nail on the head that people are doing alot of thinking to make the plan fit into their own situation of variables because this plan is advertized as a good value and all over messageboards you'll hear reports of how much was saved getting the DP. Then the plan has the flexibility of the way you use it to allow you to make it work, whether the loophole is intentionally put there by WDW or not.

Calie

ok, calie - sorry for the misunderstanding.

After the days I have with DS sometimes, tho, I do indeed wish he was a "phantom child" living on PB & J!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter