My journey has ended with my mom and Alzheimer

Bete

DIS Veteran
My mom passed last week at 91. She begins a new journey, now free of Alzheimer's disease.

I'm so grateful for the help I received on this board asking questions because of her condition and the helpful answers I received.

My condolences to you and your family. I lost my mom last summer to dementia and lung cancer. She was 72.

My mom passed last week at 91. She begins a new journey, now free of Alzheimer's disease.

I'm so grateful for the help I received on this board asking questions because of her condition and the helpful answers I received.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish peace and comfort for you and your family.

So sorry to hear. Thank you for letting us know.

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my mom in May of 2011 to frontotemporal dementia at age 60. Losing a parent is hard, even when you know they weren't themselves anymore.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure that all the trips you all had together made her life that much more enjoyable, even if she couldn't express it.

I'm so sorry. I remember reading your posts and all the planning you put into taking care of your Mom's needs on your trips. It was obvious how much you loved her.

So sorry for your loss......I know the pain you are going though.....I lost my Dad to that terrible disease a few years ago.

AKK

It's hard losing a parent and especially to dementia type diseases.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time:(

So, so sorry for your loss.:hug: Alzheimer's is such a terrible disease.

We lost my dad to it three years ago when he was 75 y/o. It was like losing him twice. He hadn't known us for several years and hadn't spoken for months before he died. I was so hoping for a miracle that last day, hoping that he would look at, recognize and speak to my mom one last time. It didn't happen though. She went to that nursing home every Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sun for at least two hours for three years, trying to get him recognize her and to just let him know she was there. They were married over 50 y/rs. It's been three years and she's still not over his death. It's gotten easier though. At least you were able to take care of your mom at home and made her last days happy. We tried, but my dad got obsessed with starting fires and wandering off, so we had no choice but to put him in a nursing home. We hated to do it, because he had always said that he'd rather be dead than in a nursing home, but after repeatedly trying to set their house on fire and managing to get out of a locked house, there was no choice. I was really worried about how my eldest son, (who is the oldest grandchild and was definitley my dad's favorite), would handle it, but he made the comment that we had really lost Papa years ago when he didn't know us anymore and that he knew he was happier and better off where he is now. I hate that only my eldest grand daughter will remember him (the other GKs were too young when he died) , but no matter how much I miss him, I wouldn't call him back, even if I could. At least not in the shape he was in. I know he's much happier now.

My husband's dad died just last month when he was 92 y/o from heart problems. My husband was an only child, was especially close to his dad, and took it really, really hard. I had to remind him that his dad had lived a very long and productive life and wanted to go. The night before he died, he said he was ready to go. Unlike my dad who hadn't known us in years because of the alzheimer's, his dad's mind was sharp right up until the morning he died. My F-I-L was a very special, well loved man who will be missed, but lived a very full life, so had no regrets. We as their kids hate to let them go however, no matter how old they are or what shape they are in.

I am so sorry for your loss. I travel to WDW 1-2x/year as a companion to a senior lady with mobility issues. She has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. (No real surprise, but still very sad.) She is 86.

Oh Bete- I am SO sorry for your loss. You took such good care of your Mom and made sure she was comfortable and had trips to enjoy. Not many children can say they've done the same for their elderly parent(s). I know it must be so hard now, to not see her anymore or to be able to plan something fun for her. Now that she has been released from pain and confusion, YOU have your life to live and enjoy. I'm sure her soul is watching and protecting you right now and that she will continue to do so for you. {{{{hugs}}}}

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter