My latest addiction: watching for AP hotel rates

helenb

Wishing for the World...
We are going to Universal in the first week of June. Previously, I booked a 'seasonal' (i.e. full rack rate) room at Royal Pacific. I have had a tough time finding discounts for Universal hotels during June travel dates (ever since they dropped AAA discounts a few years ago) so I decided that this time I would spring for an annual pass to get an AP discount. My Seasonal AP was about $35 more than the promo tickets that went on sale this week (buy 2 days, get 2 free).

So after checking for AP rates for MONTHS, a few days ago, discounted rates finally became available for my date! And then the same day, more rates were released! And then yesterday, more rates! And then new ones today!

I have been booking and rebooking and cancelling... every time rates go down, I have been rebooking! So far, I have had:

$419 at RPH
$375 at PBH
$381 at HRH
$295 at PBH

What I'd really love is a rate under $300 at HRH (our preferred hotel) but that low rate at PBH is awesome! We're saving $124 (plus taxes) per night on hotel, so this was easily worth the cost of the AP, even though this will be my only visit and only for 3 days. And I'm still checking AP rates multiple times a day!

Anyone else addicted to AP hotel rate watching?

Hah - I'm doing the same, but watching for September. So I'm guessing I have a few months before I'll see anything!

Hi my name is Chris and I have an APH rate checking problem :)

I keep a folder of bookmarks called Hotel Dates and have links for every possible set of dates I might want to go to Universal until my AP expires in November. I check it every morning, without fail. I even include my March sates, even though I already have an APH rate for the perfect room at HRH!

I think we should call the group Constant APH Rate Checkers Anonymous, or CARCA for short. Is there any hope for a cure?

The way I see it it's foolish NOT to check. It can easily be done in a few seconds and can save a ton of money. Hotels are one of the most expensive parts of a trip and AP rates are a great way to help bring that down. So many of us got the APs specifically for the hotel rates.

I keep a folder of bookmarks called Hotel Dates and have links for every possible set of dates I might want to go to Universal until my AP expires in November. I check it every morning, without fail. I even include my March sates, even though I already have an APH rate for the perfect room at HRH!

^ This is how you do it!

Use the AP rate link and set your parameters, click the search, then bookmark that new URL. If you have multiple rooms, dates, etc. bookmark each one as it's own link.

If you are using Chrome, you can put them all into a single bookmark folder. When you want to check, right-click on that folder and select Open all.

scoot over, because I'm on the bench with you. We will be there the same week as you, flying in on the 31st and spending 2 nights at PBH before moving to CBBR. Dh felt that the family suite was "tiny" and asked if we could look at larger rooms, so we're staying in the 2 bedroom suite at CBBR AKA the rooms they won't discount. I stupidly looked up the cost of the family suite vs what we're shelling out for our suite and about fell down. I already agreed to the higher cost room, and I'm getting one day at DHS in exchange but I'm still grumbling, just doing it quietly.

Once AP rates are posted, can they come down more?
I am counting on the AP at whatever rate it is as I’m looking at the present rate of $334 + tax per night at RP standard room for a ten night stay in early fall

I have usually had my room booked by mid January- mid February for my hhn trips

OK. So I have never been an AP holder so this is new to me. Where do you search for Hotel AP rates on the UO website. When I go to the site all I can find is AP rates on 3 Hotels only. How do you find rates on other onsite hotels? Am I missing something?

Go to Keishashadow sticky which is 2020 dates thread

About second paragraph into it, she has the link to use for checking ap rates

click on it and fill in your dates to see them for the present hotels

If your hotel is not listed, keep checking the link as not all aph rates ha e been released yet

Off the top of my head believe some ap rates have not been listed past August

That link can be used for all the hotels
I only stay at one specific hotel so I use other link

If a person does not know which hotel to book, using the link you listed is beneficial for comparisons

We just got back from our trip which included a stay at a Disney resort, a Disney cruise, Universal, and a Hollywood Studios day. I had a very complex, but very organized system for months before refreshing every day for magic bands, cruise activities, Universal APH rates, and Priceline/Hotwire hotel deals. I had gotten so used to it, I actually miss it now that we're back! :rotfl2:

It is worth it to keep checking - the APH rates for different rooms never changed for my dates (a busy holiday week), but cheaper room types did become available. I was able to move from HRH Pool View 2 Queen for $344/night to HRH Garden View 2 Queen for $314/night. I saw a PBH standard view for $284/night, and was hoping one would come up for HRH, but never saw it.

Once AP rates are posted, can they come down more?

What Vetrik said. I haven't seen rates on a specific room come down, but it seems to have started with discounting the most expensive room types. I have seen lower cost rooms types come in, meaning that the rates go 'down'. For my dates, only discounted suites are available at RPH, so it looks like the most expensive place out there! I have PBH, but I'm still hoping for a further discounted room at HRH...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter