• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Letter to Bob Chapek (should I send it?)

Disn3rd

Earning My Ears
The current situation with Disney's corporate decisions has been increasingly upsetting for me, and I've been feeling more and more of a need to make my voice heard. I drafted a very lengthy email to Bob Chapek highlighting the concerns that many of us have about the future of the company; I think I'll sleep on it and send it off tomorrow but I wanted to put my thoughts out here as well.

Dear Mr. Chapek,
First of all, I don't expect you to read this. I know that someone of your job caliber has to deal with a nearly endless stream of emails, most of which are deleted unless the name or subject is something you recognize. Even if this ends up getting lost in the mess, however, I felt the need to make my voice heard. I appreciate any time you're willing to commit to my experiences and concerns.
Disney was my first love. For as long as I can remember, it's been my second home, my happy place, my escape from reality. The day I learned about Hidden Mickeys (and all the other hidden attention to detail that makes the parks special) changed my life, and the day I learned the word Imagineer, I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Annual trips to Disney World have always been some of the highlights of my year. I used to follow Disney news obsessively, checking construction updates, new announcements, and ride opening predictions every day. When watching the "real world" news was anxiety-inducing, I could be confident that there would be good news in the parks; watching construction updates as Galaxy's Edge came to life felt like watching magic being born. Recently, however, I've taken a step back from Disney news; more often than not, it does me more harm than good.
Mr. Chapek, watching the changes you've made over the last year has made me afraid for the future of the Disney company. As a super-fan who has spent countless hours diving into the early history of the parks and found comfort in Walt's voice as he described his vision for Disneyland, I am sad to see the way the company has strayed from his vision and values. Walt imagined a place for families to escape the real world and have fun together, he hoped his parks would be a "source of joy and inspiration to all the world." How can that be true when a Disney vacation is becoming less and less attainable to the average family? I understand that you are running a company and that numbers often speak louder than any words the fans can throw at you, but the "pay more, get less" approach the parks have taken is not the best or only way to attain those numbers. Constantly raising prices, taking away benefits like extra magic hours and entertainment that has not returned since Covid, and implementing new systems like Genie+ to squeeze every last penny out of your already high paying guests only serves to cheapen the experience and close the gap between Disney and its competitors. The high standards set Disney apart are falling rapidly, and this lapse has not gone unnoticed.
Beyond this, it has been extremely upsetting to see the way the Imagineers have been treated as of late. While you may see them as dispensable, they are your most valuable asset; your brand is creating magic, and nobody can bring this magic to life quite like the brilliant minds of WDI. Several of their most recent endeavors (namely the 50th anniversary offerings at WDW) have fallen severely short of the Disney standard, and from where we stand as fans, it looks like restrictions on creativity have caused these shortcomings. It genuinely hurts my heart to see the way incredible people and innovators are being pushed out of WDI by the move to Florida. This talent is irreplaceable. After seeing the latest Animal Kingdom offering to open without Joe Rohde's oversight, I am worried for the future of the parks if the talent that has made them so special is pushed out.
You can't be oblivious to the criticism you've faced online as of late. The Disney social media sphere is not a happy place, and I'm sure you know that you've been far from a fan-favorite as of late. While it's true that no one complains about Disney more than Disney fans, I've never seen them quite like this. And so I urge you to pay attention and listen. Some of your most loyal fans are swearing off Disney until changes are made, and the risk this poses is something you should be scared of. You can make decisions for Wall Street, you can make your numbers look good so your shareholders are happy, but you need to remember your place; your brand is magic, your company is built on nostalgia. Disney has been successful for so long because people remember the good memories they have made, and they keep coming back. And you are at risk of losing your most loyal, most nostalgic fans. Mr. Chapek, you need to remember that when you walk into work each morning you are not just running a company, you are running the Walt Disney Company; your job is to continue on the legacy of nearly 100 years of creating magic, and that is a legacy that won't last much longer unless changes are made. As an avid researcher of Disney history, I have to believe that this dark period in the company is temporary, and that a new era of creativity and growth will return the parks to their former glory. But if the future of the parks is anything like the past, this can't happen until the balance between business and creativity is restored. To quote the 50th anniversary theme song, the magic is calling you. It's calling you to change the direction the company has been going since March 2020. It's calling you to make decisions that allow the parks to evolve and improve; it's calling you to make decisions that make this park experience accessible and affordable again. It's calling you to return the Walt Disney Company to its brand of happiness, nostalgia, and magic. Mr. Chapek, the magic is calling you to turn things around; all I can do is urge you to answer the call.

Your passion for Disney shines thru however it is too long and needs a tough edit, if you hope to have it read
Personally… every word counts and I both appreciate your
Willingness to share it here and your need to send it. Sadly, I think he/others do not care.. it’s all about nickel and dime’ ing and $$$

It's too wordy for the message you are trying convey. High level people at most companies have others who read/handle their routine mail. This would likely get grouped with all of the other 'complaint' letters. None of us know if he personally developed the ideas you are referring to. I think the letter would have more impact if it were shorter and less of a personal attack on his management style.

I agree with your thoughts, as many of us do. My recommendation is to add some additional specific examples (ticket prices, Genie + prices, ILL prices, resort prices (with less benefits), etc.

I'm sure we all recognize the impact COVID has made, not only Disney, but on all of us, and our economy is struggling. I believe you're spot-on that Disney is doing what they can to offset extended park & resort closures, but they are also taking away what matters most: the ability of families to visit their world-renowned theme parks.

Please let us know if/when you receive a response.

Chapek doesn’t read these e-mails.
If it would help you to feel heard sending something anyway - this is very, very long and wordy for an e-mail and honestly sounds more like a blog post with “Dear Mr. Chapek” as the title.
It's too wordy for the message you are trying convey. High level people at most companies have others who read/handle their routine mail. This would likely get grouped with all of the other 'complaint' letters. None of us know if he personally developed the ideas you are referring to. I think the letter would have more impact if it were shorter and less of a personal attack on his management style.

Ive been struggling to figure out how to respond and these have put my thoughts in order.

While the passion and emotion for Disney is evident, the actual content of the email and how it is written is not going to get any further than a very low level intern who is tasked with checking Bob Chapecks public email account.

I wrote a reply to this thread, Disney Parks Decision Process which you should read. Basically in a company like The Walt Disney Company, Bob Chapeck is at the top of a triangle.

Triangle.png

Him and his team would be in charge of planning the big picture things, the overall Walt Disney Company policies and procedures, operations, services, products and so much more which would affect every division and sector of The Walt Disney Company.

Bob Chapeck and his team make corporate plans, things like - Beginning in 2022, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts will serve 100% responsibly sourced seafood in our US parks and resorts. Source The Walt Disney World Company Environmental Sustainability.

Then this corporate statement goes from Bob Chepeck down and down and down, through departments, financial planning, operations planning, each department and division making plans and policies and budgets and new procedures until finally it gets to the Head Chef at California Grill at The Contemporary Resort. The Head Chef realizes that the Florida Coast Black Grouper entree on his menu does not meet the new policy requirement and so it is removed from the menu.

When this is discovered , the Disney fans go crazy on social media, people declaring that the Florida Coast Black Grouper entree California Grill is their favorite, they have been coming to Walt Disney World since they were a child and its part of their Walt Disney World experience to have this as it reminds them of their grandfather. People make threads on Disboards that they are done staying at The Contemporary Resort, and will stay offsite on their next visit.

Disney fans saying how could they do this, its not right, and petition to have the Florida Coast Black Grouper entree put back on the menu.

Meanwhile, the Head Chef at The Contemporary Resort does not care, as there is now an opening to create a new seafood entree.

The Manager at The Contemporary Resort does not care, as they have complied with the new policy, the resort bookings are not down and the California Grill is fully booked as always.

The Manager at The Contemporary Resort reports back up the chain of command all the way up to Jeff Vahle President, Walt Disney World Resort.

Then Jeff Vahle then reports back to Bob Chapeck, that yes at Walt Disney World, all seafood is now 100% responsibly sourced.

Bob Chapeck then makes a public statement that The Walt Disney Company have achieved the goal of 100% responsibly sourced seafood in our US parks and resorts.

And yes this a very simplistic view, but it is an example of why something that has been in the parks for years and then is removed and how the decision to remove it could have been made and why emotional emails from diehard Disney fans have no impact on the bringing back of the removed item.

And yes this a very simplistic view, but it is an example of why something that has been in the parks for years and then is removed and how the decision to remove it could have been made and why emotional emails from diehard Disney fans have no impact on the bringing back of the removed item.

Piece outside the triangle as well - Meanwhile people on the "other side" are raving about the new menu item that replaces the grouper and the number of people choosing the seafood item is actually up by 30%. And every Splash Mountain diehard 'never change a classic' person is countered by a little girl who will be very excited to see her favorite princess get an attraction.

Piece outside the triangle as well - Meanwhile people on the "other side" are raving about the new menu item that replaces the grouper and the number of people choosing the seafood item is actually up by 30%.

And at the shareholders meeting / call those who may be a bit doubtful about how changes for the hippie dippy environmental reasons will benefit them, suddenly understand Bob Chapecks strategy to have all seafood 100% responsibly sourced as it translated into a % increase in revenue from California Grill.

It's a good feeling to get these things off your chest by writing them down.

With that said, don't bother sending the email. It won't do any good.

Bob Chapek is doing what he was hired to do-build up Disney+ into a major revenue stream. The only thing the parks need to do *right now* in the interim, is stay profitable. That's it. Anything they can do to ensure that, they will do.

Once Disney+ becomes the #1 streaming platform in the world, Bob will be replaced and you will see more investment in the parks.

For reference: See Universal/Comcast.

Disney is a media behemoth. In media, currently, streaming services reign supreme.

OP. I loved every word and heart felt statement. Please don't change a word of it! It ALL needs to be said.
However, I doubt it will get past a secretaries desk, sadly. I can't imagine the number of angry emails he is getting.
An email like this needs to go where it will be read, perhaps a newspaper, sent to an Orlando newspaper?, or somewhere it can be widely read.
Thank you for letting us read this beautifully written email.

I'll be honest, I didnt read the letter but if it means enough to type it and post it here, I say send it so long as there is nothing threatening or malicious in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter