My Magical Journey to Running the Half Marathon TR Link! p.107

carissanboys

DIS Veteran
I need to lose weight.

It’s as simple as that.

I have struggled my entire life with maintaining a healthy lifestyle. As I prepare to turn thirty-six in March, I realize I seriously need to get this under control. Health issues are not something that I want to be dealing with as the years add up – and Diabetes is a real threat for me if I don’t do something about it NOW.

Sometimes, we all need a good, swift kick in the rear to get us moving, right? Well, such a kick came in the form of a challenge to myself. Want to know what I did to ensure that I would end this year at a healthy weight and in the best shape of my life? :banana:

I didn’t start off s-l-o-w-l-y.

I didn’t give myself baby steps to reach my goal.

I decided that I needed something REALLY BIG to motivate me. :rolleyes1

Just moments ago, I registered for the Disney Half Marathon on January 8, 2011.

*gulp*

Oh, my gosh. I can’t believe I did that. Seriously?? What was I thinking?! I am 40 pounds overweight and have never really done any sort of running that didn’t include many breaks, huge gasps for air, and feeling like I was dying. What the heck have I gotten myself into?? :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

*deep breaths*

I know I can do this.

I know I can do this.

I know I can do this.

clipminniecheer.gif
icon_fitness.gif

This magical journey of mine -- and it truly needs to be full of Disney magic in order for me to reach my goal -- is just beginning. No training has begun. No plans have been made. In fact, I haven’t even talked to my husband about this crazy idea of mine. :rolleyes1

I will need all of the help and support I can get throughout the next year so I hope all of my DIS friends, old and new, will come along for the ride. :grouphug: As I always do, there will be links at the bottom of this post to take you to each installment so that you can skip the chit chat if you prefer.

Links

1. The Plan
2. I Did It!! W1D1
3. Will Our Children Ever Forgive Us?
4. I Did It - Again! W1D2
5. Where to Stay?
6. W1D3
7. My Inspiration
8. The Rest of My Gang
9. Bring It On!! W2D1
10. I Hear Voices Inside My Head - W2D2
11. W2D3
12. A Wicked 10K?
13. W2D3.1 - Tentative Plans
14. W3D1 - Energy Smoothie Recipe
15. Super Bowl Sunday! (Southern Banana Pudding Recipe)
16. W3D2 - A Virtual 5K
17. Cynthia's Pizza Soup Recipe
18. W3D3
19. My Valentine
20. Virtual Valentine's Day 5K
21. W4D1 - Spring Is in the Air
22. Couple Only Itinerary
23. W4D2
24. W4D3 - Mind Over Matter
25. Before and Current Photos
26. W5D1 - I CAN. I WILL. I AM ABLE!!
27. W5D2 - Solo Trip
28. W5D2.1 - Help With Guidebooks
29. Breaking the News to the Boys
30. W5D3 - Party Time
31. Updated Itinerary and Questions
32. W6D1
33. W6D2
34. Success!!
35) Back on Track
36) Changes!
37) The Beach and a Freak Out
38) W6D3
39) Attempt Thrwarted and New "During" Photos
40) W6D3.2
41) Week 7 Update
42) Bellydancing and Trips
43) Week 8 Update
44) Week 9 Update
45) I'm a Graduate!
46) 1,001 New Family Members
47) Hodgepodge
48) Baxter and Running Update
49) Race Update
50) Summer Motivation
51) A New Milestone
52) Homecoming
53) Help with Training!
54) My Training Plan
55) First Official Run Outside and Goodies
56) Disney Mail and Training Schedule
57) Am I Crazy?
58) Puppy Picture and Training Update
59) We're Home!
60) Trip to Maine - Part 1 (Pictures)
61) Trip to Maine - Part 2 (Running Update)
62) Itinerary
63) My First Race - A Mini TR
64) Camping and a Wicked Medal
65) Training Update and Trip Goals
66) Outfit for the Half
67) Almost Time!
68) I Rocked 10 Miles!!
69) T-Minus 5 Days!

wow I am # 3....:woohoo:

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! :thumbsup2

I will be looking forward to reading along and sharing in this magical journey of yours...you may motivate some other people to get up out of their chairs and get moving...:banana:

Scrappie J~

wow I am # 3....:woohoo:

Julie!!!!!!!!!!! :hug: Yeah, I think I will catch a lot of people by surprise with this PTR. Including me and my husband! :lmao:

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! :thumbsup2

I will be looking forward to reading along and sharing in this magical journey of yours...you may motivate some other people to get up out of their chairs and get moving...:banana:

Scrappie J~

I hope so since it was my friend Liz and DIS friend Jenny who have inspired me. :goodvibes

Good for you for signing up!!!

Take it from someone who has lost 40+ pounds, it takes a lot of effort and time but it is so worth it!!!

Good for you for signing up!!!

Take it from someone who has lost 40+ pounds, it takes a lot of effort and time but it is so worth it!!!

:welcome: Congrats on the big achievement! :worship: I lost 20 pounds a few years ago just from walking an hour every day and making healthier choices, but then fell off the wagon. Do you mind sharing how you did it?

I see you've stayed at Fort Wildnerness many times. It's my dream to stay there some day - either in the cabins or camping.

I also see you're a Yankees fan. So, we won't be talking baseball. :rolleyes1

Joining in! I'd love to run the half and I'm sure your ptr will inspire me.

Hey Jennifer! It's something I've thought about for a few years now ever since my friend Liz mentioned it. I'll get more into that in another installment. Glad to have you along! :goodvibes

I am here! And SOOOOOO excited for you!!! :goodvibes:yay:

You are so DOING THE DONALD girl!! :donald:

I can't wait to hear your dh's reaction! :eek: LOL!

I am here! And SOOOOOO excited for you!!! :goodvibes:yay:

You are so DOING THE DONALD girl!! :donald:

I can't wait to hear your dh's reaction! :eek: LOL!

My inspiration has arrived!! :love:

I so want that trophy - that gold medallion - that whatever you call it - Donald!!!! :cool1: That's what I'll keep telling myself throughout the race.

I'm sure Chuck will be his normal, supportive self. He may think I'm crazy, but he always supports his crazy wife. :dance3:

My inspiration has arrived!! :love:

I so want that trophy - that gold medallion - that whatever you call it - Donald!!!! :cool1: That's what I'll keep telling myself throughout the race.

I'm sure Chuck will be his normal, supportive self. He may think I'm crazy, but he always supports his crazy wife. :dance3:

Awwwww :hug:

You will get that Donald medal!! :donald: You'll be able to check mine out next time we see each other.

I'm sure he will. :goodvibes

And by the way, I sooooooo love that picture of you with Captain Hook! Definitely my favorite. :goodvibes

Thanks, I love that one too, makes me smile because it was a fun moment. He was so cozy and warm and I snuggled up to him and told him so. I didn't want to leave him, it was so cold!! :)

:welcome: Congrats on the big achievement! :worship: I lost 20 pounds a few years ago just from walking an hour every day and making healthier choices, but then fell off the wagon. Do you mind sharing how you did it?

I see you've stayed at Fort Wildnerness many times. It's my dream to stay there some day - either in the cabins or camping.

I also see you're a Yankees fan. So, we won't be talking baseball. :rolleyes1

Dare I even ask what you favorite baseball team is?:laughing:

Fort Wilderness is great, but we've had to get away the past few trips. It's very relaxing and it finally got to the point of being too relaxing (if that's possible):lmao: We've done both there and I prefer the cabins myself. Camping is nice, but the cains there are really nice and I prefer them for a longer (week+) vacation.

My calorie intake for the day is usually around 1500 calories and I walk 2 miles everyday. Not much else I do, just started to eat less and exercise. No fancy dieting plan here:thumbsup2

Dare I even ask what you favorite baseball team is?:laughing:

The Sox, of course! ;) I was born and raised in Maine so I'm a new england fan all the way. I used to be crazy obsessed with baseball in my teen years, but football is now my favorite sport.

Fort Wilderness is great, but we've had to get away the past few trips. It's very relaxing and it finally got to the point of being too relaxing (if that's possible):lmao: We've done both there and I prefer the cabins myself. Camping is nice, but the cains there are really nice and I prefer them for a longer (week+) vacation.

I'm sure we'd love the cabins, too. There's just such a huge price difference between the cabins and camping!

My calorie intake for the day is usually around 1500 calories and I walk 2 miles everyday. Not much else I do, just started to eat less and exercise. No fancy dieting plan here:thumbsup2

That's definitely the way to go! That's how I did it when I lost my 20 pounds. I did try to eat more vegetables and stay away from the bad carbs - more whole grains, etc. I don't do well sticking to anything that is too strict so exercise is the key for me.

I have thought about running the half marathon but it has remained a random/distant/hypothetical thought. :rolleyes: :worship: to you for taking the leap and registering. I will look forward to hearing about your journey and I'm sure I'll be inspired.

I'd put the popcorn eating smiley guy here but suppose on a weight loss /marathon training thread eating junk food isn't really appropriate? :upsidedow

First off, I need to post a photo. While my reports are always filled with tons of pictures, you won't see too many body shots of me. :rolleyes1 However, I feel it's necessary to the challenge to post one here. An "after" picture isn't worth much if there is no "before", correct? :thumbsup2

My husband is active duty navy and is currently stationed on a ship. This picture was taken just a few weeks ago -- the day before his ship left for a deployment to the gulf.

meandchuckfordis-1.jpg

And to make it official, I heard back (via email) from my husband last night. He 100% supports my decision to do this. I knew he'd be supportive, but his email was so wonderfully encouraging! I really do have the best husband. :love:

Before I go on, I should probably tell you a little bit about myself, for those of you who don't know me. My name is Carissa, I'm 35, and a stay-at-home/homeschooling mom to our three boys ages 9, 7, and 5. I was born and raised in Maine, spent six of my adult years in Maryland, and was lucky enough to live in Australia for three years. My passions are the Patriots, reading, travel, and WDW. Okay - that should be enough to get us started. ;)

I first heard about Disney's half marathon from my friend, Liz. She brought up the idea to me a couple of years ago and it's been on my mind ever since. I am proud to say she completed her first half marathon this month after just starting to train last February! :banana: Her good friend, Jenny, did the half with her and has started a trip report about their weekend. Check it out!

Mrs. Darling's 2010 Half Marathon Trip: Yes, it does snow at Disney World​

And, now - on to The Plan! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Even though I've set a monstrous goal for myself, I do have some baby steps in mind to help me reach that goal. :teacher:

• Start and finish the Couch-to-5K program

• Make healthier food choices, increase fruits and vegetables, and decrease portion sizes

• Once my husband returns home, set up a routine to begin training outdoors

• Register for and run in Race for the Cure being held in October

• Lose at least 30 pounds by the end of the year

• Reward myself with Disney trip planning

I'm sure as I go along, my mini-goals and baby steps will become more specific. Right now, I have my sights set on the first two baby steps. My plan is to begin C25K on Monday, January 25th. I am still recovering from a cold and want to make sure I am 100% ready when I start.

** For anyone interested in starting the program, there are some free podcasts available on iTunes to help you. Or you can get them here. I downloaded the set by Robert Ullrey. He has set up the program for each week with music and telling you when to start jogging and when to walk, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter