• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My mind is blank! I need help , please

vinmar4

DIS Veteran
So, I need to book the 2 last night of our stay. I will need to borrow some points, but I want to waitlist or keep checking for another category that requires less points.

My question is, should I book the 2 nights separately in case I get the other category so that when I make the change, the one room where the borrowed points went will get used and then from the other one, the left over points will get banked when is time?

Or, should I book them together?
Does it make a difference?
I'm thinking that I would probably have to call to make the change.

Thank you

You cannot "unborrow" points. So if you borrow now to book the last two nights then you're stuck with the borrowed points.

If you keep the two reservations separate, then it's easier to match a waitlist. Shorter stays are easier to get. But you might end with a split stay between two different categories, only you know if it's something you'd be ok with. If you wouldn't like it, then modify the existing reservation to extend for two additional nights and if it doesn't match at least you don't have a split stay.

If a waitlist for a cheaper category matches, then it will keep using the borrowed points first, freeing current UY points that you can bank. It's not exactly the same but at least it won't leave you losing points.

Important: if you already have the waitlist going and you set it to replace the existing reservation, then you have to recreate the waitlist if you add the two nights. Otherwise the waitlist would match for the shorter stay and cancel the longer stay of the modified reservation!

You cannot "unborrow" points. So if you borrow now to book the last two nights then you're stuck with the borrowed points.

If you keep the two reservations separate, then it's easier to match a waitlist. Shorter stays are easier to get. But you might end with a split stay between two different categories, only you know if it's something you'd be ok with. If you wouldn't like it, then modify the existing reservation to extend for two additional nights and if it doesn't match at least you don't have a split stay.

If a waitlist for a cheaper category matches, then it will keep using the borrowed points first, freeing current UY points that you can bank. It's not exactly the same but at least it won't leave you losing points.

Important: if you already have the waitlist going and you set it to replace the existing reservation, then you have to recreate the waitlist if you add the two nights. Otherwise the waitlist would match for the shorter stay and cancel the longer stay of the modified reservation!
Good morning,
The dates are the same, so Ic ould book them together, the ones available now, and then create a wait list for the other category and if it matches, the borrowed points will get uses first, you're saying.

What happens if I find the two night before the wait list?
Will I be able to do the same thing, use the borrowed ones fist?
I think so, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your assistance

Good morning,
The dates are the same, so Ic ould book them together, the ones available now, and then create a wait list for the other category and if it matches, the borrowed points will get uses first, you're saying.

What happens if I find the two night before the wait list?
Will I be able to do the same thing, use the borrowed ones fist?
I think so, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your assistance
Yes, if you modify the existing reservation. If you book a new one it will ask you to borrow even more points, don't do that.
Start modifying the existing reservation and select the new category, it will use borrowed points first.
If you have to borrow a lot of points and you end up with unused borrowed points, then you can modify the other reservation too, don't change anything and go through all the screens and save. The points will be reallocated.

Also, set the waitlist to expire at 30 days. If you modify the reservation within the last 30 days, points will be freed, but they'll go into holding!

Are you past your banking window?

If not, and if you have used current points for the reservation already booked, you can modify your reservation if/when the waitlist comes through. The system will use the borrowed points for your reservation and return the extra points as current points. Those can be banked if your banking deadline has not passed.

Last edited:
I see, no, I'm not past my banking date.

Thank you so much for all the help.

Assuming you are before banking deadline, and you aren't dealing with priority 7mo+ bookings and multiple contracts, you can call and reallocate the borrowed points.

They can put them in the first leg, even if you freed them up when you booked the cheaper room. In theory, the system does this automatically, but I would make sure to call.

The place this is problematic is if you have, say a spring trip and a summer trip you might cancel. You can call to get the borrowed points put into the spring trip so you don't lose them if you don't go in the summer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter