My new-found love of the dollar store

Teresa Pitman

Disney Grandma
I'm just going to share this here and hope nobody laughs at me.

I never used to go into the dollar store. I don't exactly know why, but I thought all the stuff in there must be horrible and probably toxic.

Then I was wanting to get my house more organized so I started watching some videos on youtube about household organization. I was stunned to see how many of the people used containers bought at various dollar stores. So I thought I'd check them out, and I was very pleasantly surprised!

I've been able to get most of my drawers and shelves organized while spending very little money, and I've been amazed at the other nice things I've found. For just one little example, I needed a new case for my glasses. The cheapest I'd seen in regular stores was $6. Not outrageous, but I saw one at Dollarama for $1. Nothing fancy, but I didn't need fancy - and I saved myself $5.

Went out this morning to Dollar Tree and spent $13 getting some items to decorate for Thanksgiving. I tend not to decorate much for holidays because it all seems so expensive - but I was able to get some cute things for the table by the front door and the two tables we'll be dining at. And my daughter-in-law who was visiting was quite impressed by how nice it looks.

Anyway, just thought I would share this. I suspect I am the last person ever to discover this, but it's made shopping a lot more fun for me!

TP

Love, love, love Dollar Tree and have been shopping there for years! :thumbsup2 Glad you've discovered them too. When we need household goods we check Dollar Tree before we check anywhere else and usually find what we need for a much lower price than other stores.

I love dollar stores too. I really like the deals you can get on plates and glassware.

I go to the local Dollar stores about once a month just to see what they have updated. I don't really buy much at them, not because I don't love a bargain, because I have made the decision to try very hard to not purchase items that used to be Made in America but are now made in China. And before the posts start flying, I know all of Disney's things are made in China which is why we purchase very few things at the parks.

It is not that I think there is anything wrong with these items, it is just a personal choice I made to support my own country over others. I doubt that my boycott is doing any of the companies any damage. It just makes me feel better.

I don't buy much at them either - mostly because I generally don't need too much of the sorts of stuff they sell. But when I do need something like gift bags or paper napkins - I do tend to run in.

I love dollar stores too. I really like the deals you can get on plates and glassware.

My husband and daughter are really hard on plates and bowls.

have no issues throwing away chipped dollar plates.

I swear I was buying a new set every 6 months, and the good stuff too. Non chip unbreakable hahahahahahahahaha.

now i buy like 15 plates and bowls for 30. a year instead of hundred or more.

I don't really like anything else except their balloons.

Party supplies and wrapping paper are a good deal too.

I don't buy much at them either - mostly because I generally don't need too much of the sorts of stuff they sell. But when I do need something like gift bags or paper napkins - I do tend to run in.

I would have said that in the past - "I don't need too much of the sorts of stuff they sell." But I was surprised to find that they have quite a few things that I do need, and was paying more for at other places. Like that glasses case I mentioned, and a glass measuring cup (when my old one broke), and a couple of extra ladles for the casseroles on our Thanksgiving buffet. I am just making more of a point to check there first before I go to other stores for those little everyday items.

TP

regular purchases-floor cleaner and orange cleaning spray (brand names) for at least 2-3 dollars less than I can find elsewhere, tin foil baking pans (for freezing stuff like enchiladas, lasagna...), lunch box containers (the tiny ones that come 10 for $1 are much less expensive than baggies, the divided into 2 part ones that are 2 for $1 are ideal for freezing lunch size servings-and are freezer/microwave safe), gift bags, mylar balloons, jarred roasted red bell peppers (over $4 less than the grocery store).

when I need um purchases-storage containers (the clear shallow ones made for deviled eggs are great for putting small kitchen tools into and stacking on a shelf-you can see into them for an item of need/eliminates crowded clutter in drawers, the clear betty crocker red lidded bowls are great for a quick mixing bowl, to store prepped veggies for cooking in the fridge), some school supplies like small wipe boards, tape, pencil boxes.

you have to price compare-some stuff is less expensive elsewhere but then if you figure in gas to go to elsewhere it may be that the dollar store is a better value.

Cute seasonal dishtowels are $1 at the Dollar Tree. Antibacterial ointment, hydrocortisone cream, and Disney themed mini packs of tissues are things I often buy there. We put up 3 large Christmas trees and 4 small ones. Last year, I needed to replace some Christmas balls and I found 6 small ones in a pack at the Dollar Tree.

I would have said that in the past - "I don't need too much of the sorts of stuff they sell." But I was surprised to find that they have quite a few things that I do need, and was paying more for at other places. Like that glasses case I mentioned, and a glass measuring cup (when my old one broke), and a couple of extra ladles for the casseroles on our Thanksgiving buffet. I am just making more of a point to check there first before I go to other stores for those little everyday items.

TP

For me, that sort of thing isn't everyday items - I have plenty of that stuff (I own FOUR measuring cups for liquids plus two stacking sets for dry goods). I just don't buy much stuff because I don't need much stuff - so dollar store or Target or wherever - it just doesn't need to get bought.

My Dollar Store is next door to my Target, so I often run in to check if they have something before I swing through Target. Its hit or miss.

A Dollar Tree store opened in our town this summer, and I stop by about once a week and never walk out empty handed. I like a lot of their food items, such as Lance crackers, frozen garlic bread slices, bagels, tortillas, and dried beans. Their dried beans (pintos) are probably the best that I've ever bought. I sorted through 2 bags of them and didn't find a single rock, and the beans were very clean even before I rinsed them.

There are a ton of weekly "dollar tree haul" videos on youtube. I try to watch one before i head over to see what to look for. I have just started looking up dollar tree freebies(shopping with oupins) to really not spend anything on some stuff. We have been trying some of the health and beauty options and so far have been very pleased!

When we first moved, we moved in 2 cars so all of our household stuff was still in atlanta. We went to the dollar tree for plates, cups all basic kitchen needs. On the cheap since we had a houseful of stuff still in atlanta

I go to the local Dollar stores about once a month just to see what they have updated. I don't really buy much at them, not because I don't love a bargain, because I have made the decision to try very hard to not purchase items that used to be Made in America but are now made in China. And before the posts start flying, I know all of Disney's things are made in China which is why we purchase very few things at the parks.

It is not that I think there is anything wrong with these items, it is just a personal choice I made to support my own country over others. I doubt that my boycott is doing any of the companies any damage. It just makes me feel better.

I looked all over for clear coffee cups made in the USA, imagine my suprise when I found them at Dollar Tree. :thumbsup2

I am a teacher and LOVE the dollar tree. They have tons of teacher supply stuff that sells for much more at a "teacher store".

I buy greeting cards there. Why pay $4 for one? They have a nice selection plus they don't say $1 on the back. Gift wrap, bags, some decorations. Those little nylon scrubbies for pots (about the only place I can find them). Manila envelopes, poster board, candy, some food items (some of the food they sell is actually cheaper at Target or the grocery store, so be careful there). I did make the mistake of buying 4 8x11 picture frames from them. Will never again. 3 broke before I even hung them up (two fell apart, the other cracked as I was putting the paper in). The 4th fell off the wall 10 minutes later because the frame fell apart.

Greeting cards, gift bags, all that stuff is quite a bargain. We also like the plastic trays, etc for when we make something to take to a party. That way we don't worry about getting our dish back. The big plastic spoons and ladles are nice and once again, no worries if they get left behind at a pot luck. I also buy some cleaners there.
:thumbsup2

You guys are giving me even more ideas! If I can figure out how to do photos I might do some of my Thanksgiving decorations when we have our meal.

TP

Things I like to pick up at DT
1. Gift bags,tape,tissue paper,cards,bday invites,thank you notes
2.Bleach,orange cleaner,dryer sheets
3.School supplies
4.Toothbrushes,toothpaste,flossers
5.Hand gel,bars of soap,mesh ball for showering
6.Stylus for Ipads
7.light bulbs,crazy glue,night lights/bulbs
8. Sandwich ziplock bags for lunches,foil sheets,kleenex,dust pan,foil containers,hand soap.

My store is a few yards from my front door. I go about once a month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter