My Official Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, John.

To the haterz who have clamored for a statement but are still complaining in light of this post, just stop. Take a break, or take your vitriol somewhere else. John, Corey and the team are dealing with change and with running a successful business.

Take the snark to a gossip site, but we do not want or need it here.
#SilenceIsCompliance, right?

I guess you weren’t a victim of the boss….

Thank you, John.

To the haterz who have clamored for a statement but are still complaining in light of this post, just stop. Take a break, or take your vitriol somewhere else. John, Corey and the team are dealing with change and with running a successful business.

Take the snark to a gossip site, but we do not want or need it here.
Sorry you feel that way and I wonder if you could be clearer about what you see as "haterz". Am I, given my request for more consideration for victims of sexual assault, a "haterz" or being vitriolic? I'm genuinely curious - tone can be hard to tell on the internet. I would say, given your statement, a successful business is not just relegated to making money; a successful business that profits off of the abuse of people is morally bankrupt.

Sorry you feel that way and I wonder if you could be clearer about what you see as "haterz". Am I, given my request for more consideration for victims of sexual assault, a "haterz" or being vitriolic? I'm genuinely curious - tone can be hard to tell on the internet. I would say, given your statement, a successful business is not just relegated to making money; a successful business that profits off of the abuse of people is morally bankrupt.
A business so successful that they are now trying to get out of paying the $1,000,000 they owe AMEX.

Wow, there’s an awful lot of people just dying to stay offended and outraged. Pretty impressive, actually.

I’m going to restart my Patreon subscription with the smug knowledge that it’ll offset the loss of one of you.
Subscribe to the $100 tier and put your money where your mouth is. I am assuming you will get monthly chats with Pete in his orange jumpsuit and you can help pay off his AMEX lawsuit at the same time.

It's all correct. I have been reading for days that something needs to be done about Pete. I have been reading how people have the right to know what is going on.
So, John posts about what is happening but apparently it's not enough.
You have options. You can talk with your wallet. You can choose to leave the boards. You can unfollow the YouTube channel. But you don't get to have a say in what should or should not happen within a company you don't own.
You are correct about how a customer can vote with their wallet. I just did. However, in a discussion board, I think fans / clients / customers should be able to express when the head of a business says something totally tone deaf. The long awaited statement was more about Jon and Kevin being victims than anything else.

There are certain things that come with running a successful business. One of those things is that you don’t get the luxury of leading with your personal feelings with something of this magnitude. The future success of the business matters. What the customers of The DIS, Dreams, and other affiliates need is not only knowledge that the appropriate steps are being taken but more importantly the *confidence* that things like this won’t happen in the future. The ownership statement may succeed at the first, this personal statement fails at the second.

Through the years I’ve seen leaders, especially Generals talk about various dark times when they know their job in the moment is to take whatever emotional reaction that is coming their way. They say sometimes you have to let people yell, scream, cry and not try to argue with them, because that is not what the moment calls for. It is not about them, however they may be feeling in the same moment. That’s part of what it means to be the Big Boss.

These are very serious issues, and people are legitimately frustrated about the circumstances that allowed them to go unchecked for so long, especially as each story comes to light. People are horrified for what the victims endured. This statement does not demonstrate the kind of self-reflection I expect people hope to see from the team going forward. Nor is it neutral as the ownership statement. Which leads to the inevitable, as is already being demonstrated… another round of self-reflection by the customers: is this is a place where they wish to be?

There are a number of haters here who have repeatedly made attacks and insulted the team.

The VICTIMS here are primarily the men who have posted their SA stories. They have repeatedly made it clear that NO ONE on the team knew the depths of that abuse, yet a handful of armchair quarterbacks here think they know better.

The existing podcast team has shared some toxic workplace stories, the cause of which should now be resolved. Let them detox and reboot their workplace and the show with changed leadership and a new start in a new studio.

As far as financial improprieties, those are internal to DU and will not affect clients or employees.

John, DSNYDREAMER and others have explained that DU’s model passes your payment info directly to your travel vendors (cruiselines, hotels, Disney, etc.) DU is financially stable. Dreams earns commissions after travel is complete, so anyone divesting now will not be paid on future travel.

Those involved are dealing with issues as necessary. Listeners can choose to continue to listen or not. But be kind. No more attacks. Take the trash talk somewhere else.

The majority of clients and listeners have been extremely supportive and empathic. I know the team truly appreciates the many messages of love and support during this chaotic time.

Wow, there’s an awful lot of people just dying to stay offended and outraged. Pretty impressive, actually.

I’m going to restart my Patreon subscription with the smug knowledge that it’ll offset the loss of one of you.
I've stayed out of this until now, but I would say that sexual assault IS offensive and outrageous.

Get real. We've all seen Pete express more vitriol because he didn't like the temperature of his soup.

There are certain things that come with running a successful business. One of those things is that you don’t get the luxury of leading with your personal feelings with something of this magnitude. The future success of the business matters. What the customers of The DIS, Dreams, and other affiliates need is not only knowledge that the appropriate steps are being taken but more importantly the *confidence* that things like this won’t happen in the future. The ownership statement may succeed at the first, this personal statement fails at the second.

Through the years I’ve seen leaders, especially Generals talk about various dark times when they know their job in the moment is to take whatever emotional reaction that is coming their way. They say sometimes you have to let people yell, scream, cry and not try to argue with them, because that is not what the moment calls for. It is not about them, however they may be feeling in the same moment. That’s part of what it means to be the Big Boss.

These are very serious issues, and people are legitimately frustrated about the circumstances that allowed them to go unchecked for so long, especially as each story comes to light. People are horrified for what the victims endured. This statement does not demonstrate the kind of self-reflection I expect people hope to see from the team going forward. Nor is it neutral as the ownership statement. Which leads to the inevitable, as is already being demonstrated… another round of self-reflection by the customers: is this is a place where they wish to be?
This is so well written, thank you.

ETA: I'd recommend "A Failure of Nerve" by Edwin Friedman for anyone thinking about the leadership involved in that second paragraph. Self-differentiation is critical in organizations and especially CEOs, etc. (imagine if Bob Iger took things so personally when Disney has been asked to reckon with abusers). I also would recommend folks checking out this article https://sparkvisionnow.com/heart-ce...countability feedback openly, not defensively.

There are a number of haters here who have repeatedly made attacks and insulted the team.

The VICTIMS here are primarily the men who have posted their SA stories. They have repeatedly made it clear that NO ONE on the team knew the depths of that abuse, yet a handful of armchair quarterbacks here think they know better.

The existing podcast team has shared some toxic workplace stories, the cause of which should now be resolved. Let them detox and reboot their workplace and the show with changed leadership and a new start in a new studio.

As far as financial improprieties, those are internal to DU and will not affect clients or employees.

John, DSNYDREAMER and others have explained at DU’s model passes your payment info directly to your travel vendors (cruiselines, hotels, Disney, etc.) DU is financially stable. Dreams earns commissions after travel is complete, so anyone divesting now will not be paid on future travel.

Those involved are dealing with issues as necessary. Listeners can choose to continue to listen or not. But be kind. No more attacks. Take the trash talk somewhere else.

The majority of clients and listeners have been extremely supportive and empathic. I know the team truly appreciates the many messages of love and support during this chaotic time.
How is pointing out that John’s statement didn’t need the victim paragraph make us haters? I have been reading these boards since 2007, been a customer of DU, listened to every podcast etc. However, now I am a hater? You are the one who is attacking here. Think on that.

Let's be real. Those toxic workplace stories are not directly applicable to John or Kevin. They are not the ones who were assaulted, fired for lies, or belittled. They were not strung through years of harassment and verbal manipulation. At best, they didn't know - but that does not make them victims and any attempt to label them as such is laughable.

Thank you @WebmasterJohn. I cannot imagine how difficult these last days have been for all of you and I am sorry that some have gone well beyond sharing their disappointment to making personal attacks. I am delighted that you and @WebmasterCorey will be at the helm and I wish you nothing but good things going forward. I am excited to meet you all this weekend and give you my support in person.

I've stayed out of this until now, but I would say that sexual assault IS offensive and outrageous.

Get real. We've all seen Pete express more vitriol because he didn't like the temperature of his soup.
The staff has said they didn’t know. The executives have said they didn’t know. Most importantly, the victims have clearly and repeatedly stated that nobody knew.

I’m not a DU client, and I’m someone who canceled their Patreon a long time ago because of the schizo host’s erratic behavior and political rants.

Yet, I’m the one who has to point out that people are virtue signaling all over the place, just so they can pretend to be outraged.

Y’all are just silly.

Once Pete is actually unable to profit from the business is when it MIGHT be safe to book with Dreams again.

It’s likely that may never happen.

Pete may never have to sell his part of Dreams or be willing to sell. Who gets the Patreon money? Who gets the Google Ad revenue? Who gets the YouTube revenue? Who makes money off sponsorships?

Until Pete is fully divested from ownership, he still profits off of all of this.

isn’t all things DIS including podcasts, sites, boards, etc. Pete’s only? I thought John was only a partner in DU which is separate from the DIS right?
If that’s the case I’m not sure how John can really be blamed for all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter