• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My passport app is in the "final processing stages" - so I'm in?

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
I just checked my passport application status and saw this message:

Your passport application is in the final processing stages.

Your passport application locator number is XXXXXXXXX.

When you applied, you requested Routine Service.

This means you should receive your passport on or about 02/19/2012.

Does this mean (as it appears) that my passport has been fully and finally approved? I ask only because I used self-taken photos (using the State Department's online passport photo tool) and instead of a birth certificate, I used my long-expired previous passport.

I was more-than-half-expecting my application to get kicked back for one or both reasons, but it looks like I'm in, yes?

Given that I was told when to expect my passport, I know my question sounds stupid, but I can totally see the federal government later telling me "We found an error in your application during the final processing stage......"

Thanks!

I just checked my passport application status and saw this message:

Does this mean (as it appears) that my passport has been fully and finally approved? I ask only because I used self-taken photos (using the State Department's online passport photo tool) and instead of a birth certificate, I used my long-expired previous passport.

I was more-than-half-expecting my application to get kicked back for one or both reasons, but it looks like I'm in, yes?

Thanks!

Yes, just like the note said, you should receive your passport very soon. The State Department actually does a very nice job in processing passports.

Mike

Thanks. When I told the guy at the post office that I did my own photos, he immediately stated "They're probably going to reject those," without even looking at them. I stated that I had many months before the cruise, and I wanted to try my own photos and save some $$$. If the State Dept. didn't like the photos, I had plenty of time to resubmit.

He then pointed out that they probably wouldn't accept my old passport in lieu of a certified birth certificate since the passport was issue when I was a minor.

I figured his comment about the photos might have been a ploy to get me to pony up $75 to have the photos retaken there (there were five of us applying). The "minor-issued passport" comment gave me a bit more pause as I couldn't see how he could collect a fee whether I used it or not.

...He then pointed out that they probably wouldn't accept my old passport in lieu of a certified birth certificate since the passport was issue when I was a minor....
I can't imagine why he would say this when "Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport" is on the list of evidence of US Citizenship from the U.S. Department of State web site.

As for the photos, if they meet the requirements, they should be accepted.

- Dreams

I can't imagine why he would say this when "Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport" is on the list of evidence of US Citizenship from the U.S. Department of State web site.

I said the same thing and his reply was a not-impolite-but-still-a-bit-dismissive "I'm not going to argue with you. I just process the applications; I don't approve them." Then why say anything? :/

He's a nice man. We see him all the time at the post office, and he's always very pleasant with us and the kids. On Saturday, he even remembered to ask me (in a very friendly manner) if we received the passports yet. He just was a total downer with the passport applications. Maybe we caught him on a bad day.

Thanks. When I told the guy at the post office that I did my own photos, he immediately stated "They're probably going to reject those," without even looking at them. I stated that I had many months before the cruise, and I wanted to try my own photos and save some $$$. If the State Dept. didn't like the photos, I had plenty of time to resubmit.

He then pointed out that they probably wouldn't accept my old passport in lieu of a certified birth certificate since the passport was issue when I was a minor.

I figured his comment about the photos might have been a ploy to get me to pony up $75 to have the photos retaken there (there were five of us applying). The "minor-issued passport" comment gave me a bit more pause as I couldn't see how he could collect a fee whether I used it or not.

Right, I read that when you posted it above. I was commenting on that. Maybe I'm confused. Did you mean to repost your previous post a second time?

:confused3,
Dreams

No. I'm not sure how that happened. But I quickly edited with the appropriate response.

No. I'm not sure how that happened. But I quickly edited with the appropriate response.

Oh those silly DISBoards having a mind of their own again! :rotfl:

I get confused enough around here, the boards double posting is not necessary! :lmao:

Sounds like maybe the PO guy was, hehe, PO'd that day? Sorry, couldn't resist. We all get our bad day I guess, huh?

Hope you have your passport in-hand soon.

- Dreams :goodvibes

Yes, all five passports arrived a few days after my last post. No problems whatsoever.

I would say that if you want to save yourself the $$$ on photos and you're not in a huge rush, just take them with your digital camera or iPhone and use the photo editing tool that the State Department has on their passport web site and you should be fine.

In doing so, I now have $75 extra dollars in my cruise budget. :thumbsup2

Do you remember how many weeks it took you to get it back? Right now the website says 4 to 6 weeks.

Yes, all five passports arrived a few days after my last post. No problems whatsoever.

I would say that if you want to save yourself the $$$ on photos and you're not in a huge rush, just take them with your digital camera or iPhone and use the photo editing tool that the State Department has on their passport web site and you should be fine.

In doing so, I now have $75 extra dollars in my cruise budget. :thumbsup2

Where do you go for your passport pictures that it costs so much? I go to Costco, and it's $4.99 for two passport pictures. Since you only need to send one in, that would only be $15.:confused3 I was very happy to spend $10 for the 3 of us to get our pics taken and not have to worry about editing them or having them get rejected.

Do you remember how many weeks it took you to get it back? Right now the website says 4 to 6 weeks.

I think it was 2.5 weeks.

Where do you go for your passport pictures that it costs so much? I go to Costco, and it's $4.99 for two passport pictures. Since you only need to send one in, that would only be $15.:confused3 I was very happy to spend $10 for the 3 of us to get our pics taken and not have to worry about editing them or having them get rejected.

About a year ago, the podcast did a special "cruise primer" show where they walked you through shopping for, selecting and purchasing a cruise, as well as all of the pre-cruise things you needed to do, like passports.

Julie and Corey had their photos taken at Walgreen's and the passport office did not accept them, so they had to go to the post office and re-take the photos there. So that kind of soured me on going to a Walgreen's or Kinko's, where the clerk probably didn't care much about getting the photos right.

USPS charges $15 per photo. Five of us = $75. I knew that I could take the photos and take more care to ensure they were done right than anyone at a drug store, Wal-Mart or the post office.

My daughter hasn't had time or $$ to re-new her passport (expired Dec 2011) for our May 2012 cruise. Luckily, we live in a state that has enhanced DL.

I used Photoshop to create the guideline dimensions for our pictures and followed the guidelines to a tee. We looked like criminals.

Now compared to my mom and sister who got one 2 yrs before, they were all smilling in their passports. I was pissed that they allowed smiles when the PP site says no smiling etc.

Either way, got 4 passport photos (me, DW,DD,DS) for under a $1 total.

The lady at teh county clerk's office where I went said if they didn't approve the pictures, then they'd take them there for us. Didn't say about cost, but I assume it would be free.

They had to redo our license photocopies. annoyed me as the webpage says you can do them seperate (back and front of ID) pages, but the lady redid them to include both on one sheet.

Yeah, there seems to be a disconnect between what the State Department says and what the local processing people say. My guy at USPS was giving me static about how they would reject my passport from when I was a minor, even though there is absolutely nothing on the application or the web site that states that this would be a problem.

Our photos all look like mug shots as well, but I couldn't care less. We did our own photos for free, and the State Dept. accepted them. Done. :thumbsup2

Yeah, there seems to be a disconnect between what the State Department says and what the local processing people say. My guy at USPS was giving me static about how they would reject my passport from when I was a minor, even though there is absolutely nothing on the application or the web site that states that this would be a problem.

Our photos all look like mug shots as well, but I couldn't care less. We did our own photos for free, and the State Dept. accepted them. Done. :thumbsup2

the SD page says its ok to copy your DL on seperate pages (front and back). Processing place said no, both parts on one page. SD page had optional fields on the online paperwork. Processing place made me fill all the optional fields.

i've seen photos of smilling people (parents), but ours look like prison mug shots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter