My Slow Divorce from Walt Disney World

Evening extra hours used to be for all levels of onsite guests. Now it's just deluxe.
^^^ This was/is the biggest slap in the face. I love my Swan/Dolphin resorts (as I like saving money) but how insulting is it to only allow Deluxe resort guests extra magic hours and then to allow Swan/Dolphin/Reserve. That was Disney's way of telling their own Moderate and Value Resort guests that they don't matter.

For me, my relationship has been like being in a long term relationship where I love my significant other more than they love me in return. It's inevitable a divorce is in the cards. I feel like Disney no longer cares about me, what I have found them to be about, and what they have to offer in return. There have been way to many things in the parks and out of the parks that Disney is doing or has done that has caused these feelings. I get price increases, but don't eliminate, cutback, and offer less for so much more money. They have eliminated so many things that made them unique and more than just another theme or amusement park. For me, that is no longer the case. Don't blow smoke up my blessed assurance and call it pixie dust and magic. I cancelled my WDW & DCL vacation this past February, and last fall I sold my DVC and 250 points at the VGF. After all these years, I'm not so sure this relationship will ever be restored. It's all up to Disney now to see where they want to go.

For the record, I have always been a deluxe person and almost always CL. But I also don't think that Disney should be catering to the deluxe guests with special perks to the parks. A Disney resort guest should be the same whether value, moderate, or deluxe. JMO.

Last edited:

For me, my relationship has been like being in a long term relationship where I love my significant other more than they love me in return. It's inevitable a divorce is in the cards. I feel like Disney no longer cares about me, what I have found them to be about, and what they have to offer in return. There have been way to many things in the parks and out of the parks that Disney is doing or has done that has caused these feelings. I get price increases, but don't eliminate, cutback, and offer less for so much more money. They have eliminated so many things that made them unique and more than just another theme or amusement park. For me, that is no longer the case. Don't blow smoke up my blessed assurance and call it pixie dust and magic. I cancelled my WDW & DCL vacation this past February, and last fall I sold my DVC and 250 points at the VGF. After all these years, I'm not so sure this relationship will ever be restored. It's all up to Disney now to see where they want to go.
I think a lot of us feel like Disney's just not that into us any more.

How are the parks not equal for all? Everyone has been hit by the price increases. Genie + and LL is available for all guests to purchase.

I don’t disagree with your overall post though. We feel the same. We have sold most of our DVC points and just cruise on DCL now.
siouxi31 said:
I haven't been on here in quite some time but came to look into discussions around options to sell my DVC. I too am divorcing Disney after a 30 year close relationship. Naturally, this post caught my eye. I understand the sadness but necessity.

We sold our DVCs many years ago and recently sold the RV since FW isn't what it once was. We also said no more to DCL since the value *FOR US* no longer exists. We sail MSC Yacht Club for much le$$ than DVC Concierge with far greater service and perks.

Done with Disney. I stay on this board and continue to try to keep up with what is happening within the company hoping to find some redeeming value. It is time to release the dream of reconciliation and accept the fact that Disney is nothing but a standard corporate giant whose only concern it the bottom line and customers are a necessary irritation to be tolerated as a means to an end. Walt Disney's dream is dead. RIP

I have to agree that the standard Disney packages are $$$$$ but I blame the resort cost as much as the tickets. What room is worth $700/N - deluxe or not? A moderate at $350/N and a value at $189/N? Really? Seriously? Well, very apparently it is really serious because availability is not that great.

We joined DVC many years ago but we focused on the club venues and not the parks. I have to say the venues over the years have increased in quality. They have less Disney inspired lamps and wall art (which club members appropriated which is probably why all that disappeared) and the textile choices are much more durable. I do miss ME but Mears works as well with minimal cost.

Back when we were looking for a vacation 'home' we toured many a place and were tempted by others but Disney has a lot on property. It's not free but I don't have to get into a car to access it. I can walk or catch a bus. I always said the best part of Disney is no need for a designated driver. Of course, parents with littles can't think that way.

For the record, I have always been a deluxe person and almost always CL. But I also don't think that Disney should be catering to the deluxe guests with special perks to the parks. A Disney resort guest should be the same whether value, moderate, or deluxe. JMO.

So no more VIP tours?

Evening extra hours used to be for all levels of onsite guests. Now it's just deluxe.
Certain groups have always been left out of extra magic hours. People staying offsite have never been included. Now, the group is even smaller since it is deluxe guests. No one is excluded from staying in a deluxe hotel - just depends on what someone’s priorities are. People save up for years to be able to stay deluxe. Or you can skip extra magic hours, save lots of money and stay offsite.

siouxi31 said:
I haven't been on here in quite some time but came to look into discussions around options to sell my DVC. I too am divorcing Disney after a 30 year close relationship. Naturally, this post caught my eye. I understand the sadness but necessity.

We sold our DVCs many years ago and recently sold the RV since FW isn't what it once was. We also said no more to DCL since the value *FOR US* no longer exists. We sail MSC Yacht Club for much le$$ than DVC Concierge with far greater service and perks.

Thanks for the tip about MSC Yacht club. I will definitely look into them. We are looking to branch out from DCL but are scared we will be miserable on another cruise line.

The beauty of economics is that if more and more people actually do this- combined with massive and growing competition from Sea World and Universal- Disney will be forced to make changes.

The reason today that they're charging more for less is because it's working- people are paying the price so why would they change?

Done with Disney. I stay on this board and continue to try to keep up with what is happening within the company hoping to find some redeeming value. It is time to release the dream of reconciliation and accept the fact that Disney is nothing but a standard corporate giant whose only concern it the bottom line and customers are a necessary irritation to be tolerated as a means to an end. Walt Disney's dream is dead. RIP
Never let go of the dream. I stay on this board because I'm every bit as passionate about Universal as I am about Disney. And I remember the Vivendi years there--the early 2000s, when Vivendi owned a majority share and they absolutely trashed the Universal parks. Closed classic attractions right and left, replaced them with cheap screen-based experiences, came up with all sorts of ways to make a buck at the guest's expense. For parks that had only been in Orlando for two decades at that point, and were competing head to head against a then-flourishing WDW, it looked like the writing was on the wall.

But against all odds, they turned around. Comcast took over and the money started flowing in. And in an absolute coup, they managed to secure the theme park rights to Harry Potter. Now Universal is the industry leader for guest experiences.

So give it some time. If Universal could turn it around, so can Disney. They have a tremendous legacy to build on, smart imagineers who know how to design top-notch experiences, incredible brand loyalty...it might take awhile, but all the ingredients are there for a return to Walt's dream.

Disney is not doing what Wallstreet wants, thus the stock slide.
The last number I saw was a 50 billion loss since March. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it can't be too far off.

How are the parks not equal for all? Everyone has been hit by the price increases. Genie + and LL is available for all guests to purchase.

I don’t disagree with your overall post though. We feel the same. We have sold most of our DVC points and just cruise on DCL now.
Some families can afford to spend a little more on vacation and some cannot. So having to buy Genie+ or LL makes it more difficult for people with a smaller budget.

siouxi31 said:

I'll be divorcing DCL in about 4 months as soon as my youngest turns 18. I can't divorce my user name though. LOL

I never paid for a VIP tour. I have better things to do with my money. JMHO.
But you are paying far more for club level. I'm sure you expect more than the guests staying at the economy properties. I just didn't understand your statement that you believe Disney should treat all guests the same. That is not the way it works in the United States. Not that I agree with it but it is what it is. When our state transportation agency sells access to special freeway lanes (aka Lightening Lanes) I'm not sure why a private corporation wouldn't do the same.

It used to be I would get excited when my wife said let’s take the kids to Walt Disney World this year. I would frantically start my research using websites and spreadsheets to estimate the costs.
Today it’s impossible. It is too varying and complicated to get an actuate cost. And why? Too much has disappeared. Gone is the transportation from MCO, tickets that don’t expire,
and now based on the time of year, free parking, room rates with only four ‘seasons’, now seven, and not charging extra for weekends, free fast passes where you can do a least something.

But I don’t blame Disney executives for this, I blame business schools for teaching the American Greed Technology where establishing as many revenue streams as possible is the thing to do.

I do understand that some guests prefer to stay at higher end resorts as compared to the All Stars, great, but the parks should be equal for all.
Having better resources gives one the ability to do more just by paying for it. And those that can’t, don’t.

In the coming months I will be reevaluating the meaning of ‘Magic’.

Have you ever bough a ticket to a concert or a sporting event, or a play.

An experience is never 'fair' or equal for all, there have been upgrades since the dawn of time....

I have not resumed my level of Disney (either in quantity or quality) since the reopening. Will I, ehhh. I believe in paying for what you can afford and want. If I no longer want to pay then I won't but I don't believe it has anything to do with fairness, capitalisms, a degree curriculm, greed, or elitism. It just is a continuation of what has always been and what will continue to evolve.

When it hits my limit, I'll stop.... either completely or at least in part. Which is why there is currently 1 year between my last trip and my next trip to WDW and why I'm taking a long weekend in DC this week and not flying down for Flower and Garden..

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter