• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Son Has Celiac Disease Need Advice

Look into a procedure called NAET. We were allergic to LOTS of things. This is painless and it truly works. If you have any questions send me a PM. The provider near me is amazing! I call him the voodoo doctor and he laughs.

Look into a procedure called NAET. We were allergic to LOTS of things. This is painless and it truly works. If you have any questions send me a PM. The provider near me is amazing! I call him the voodoo doctor and he laughs.

Yes, please do look into it, QUITE extensively. Now, DISCLAIMER - I know Wikipedia is not a good source for "looking things up" - but this is a well-written article, and has links to literally hundreds of resources and medical articles to prove that NAET is, at best, ineffective.

I, personally, would never risk the health of someone, especially a child, who had been diagnosed with something like celiac, if "The few available reviews in the literature that discuss NAET directly, state that it lacks any supporting evidence and that its claims are unsubstantiated. The theoretical basis of NAET has been criticized for lacking scientific rationale and the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy advise against the use of NAET."

In a critical appraisal of Nambudripad's techniques Stephen Barrett of Quackwatch writes:

"NAET clashes with the concepts of anatomy, physiology, pathology, physics, and allergy accepted by the scientific community. The story of its "discovery" is highly implausible. Its core diagnostic approach – muscle testing for "allergies" – is senseless and is virtually certain to diagnose nonexistent problems. Its recommendations for dietary restrictions based on nonexistent food allergies are likely to place the patient at great risk for nutrient deficiency, and, in the case of children, at risk for social problems and the development of eating disorders."

To each their own, but I want something that hs been proven to keep my loved ones safe.

Good luck. We know lots of adults and children with Gluten issues. You might want to do a full food sensitivity screening as almost everyone one we know has other issues, from lactose to sesame. A chip substitute that we have fallen in love with is plantain chips. Ethnic aisle in the grocery store.

Yes, please do look into it, QUITE extensively. Now, DISCLAIMER - I know Wikipedia is not a good source for "looking things up" - but this is a well-written article, and has links to literally hundreds of resources and medical articles to prove that NAET is, at best, ineffective.

I, personally, would never risk the health of someone, especially a child, who had been diagnosed with something like celiac, if "The few available reviews in the literature that discuss NAET directly, state that it lacks any supporting evidence and that its claims are unsubstantiated. The theoretical basis of NAET has been criticized for lacking scientific rationale and the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy advise against the use of NAET."

In a critical appraisal of Nambudripad's techniques Stephen Barrett of Quackwatch writes:

"NAET clashes with the concepts of anatomy, physiology, pathology, physics, and allergy accepted by the scientific community. The story of its "discovery" is highly implausible. Its core diagnostic approach – muscle testing for "allergies" – is senseless and is virtually certain to diagnose nonexistent problems. Its recommendations for dietary restrictions based on nonexistent food allergies are likely to place the patient at great risk for nutrient deficiency, and, in the case of children, at risk for social problems and the development of eating disorders."

To each their own, but I want something that hs been proven to keep my loved ones safe.

I can only speak for my family and we have had amazing results! I was actually referred by my doctor.

I have found Celiac.com to be very helpful. I also will call the toll free number on many products to double check if they are gluten free. I make a lot of my own treats and even have started to sell them around here. Kids like to have treats and it is great when they come to an event around here and can buy a cookie, cake pop, or chocolate covered goodie. Look up some recipes for gluten free treats and try out some recipes.

i'm glad someone mentioned celiac.com. DD was on a gluten-free diet for awhile and this site was so helpful. they have lists you can print with unsafe ingredients. gluten is in SO many things that you would think might be safe. i always took the list to the store with me and read every label. yes, it was time-consuming. but i also quickly picked up on which brands/items were safe so the trips got easier.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't had much exposure to those with gluten intolerance. Is gluten listed as "wheat/gluten" in the ingredients section of the package, or can it go by another name (like how glucose and sucrose are different names for sugars, and hydrogenated oil is code for trans fat)?

Also, is it legally required for packages to disclose allergens? I notice that quite a few said "contains milk, wheat and is made in a plant that process peanuts" but I also see some packages that don't say anything and I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't have it, or because they didn't bother to disclose it.

The husband of a close friend was recently diagnosed, and I want to make sure I don't cause him any accidental discomfort (he's intolerant, but doesn't have full-blown celiac's) with my ignorance. Thanks!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't had much exposure to those with gluten intolerance. Is gluten listed as "wheat/gluten" in the ingredients section of the package, or can it go by another name (like how glucose and sucrose are different names for sugars, and hydrogenated oil is code for trans fat)?

Also, is it legally required for packages to disclose allergens? I notice that quite a few said "contains milk, wheat and is made in a plant that process peanuts" but I also see some packages that don't say anything and I'm not sure if that's because it doesn't have it, or because they didn't bother to disclose it.

The husband of a close friend was recently diagnosed, and I want to make sure I don't cause him any accidental discomfort (he's intolerant, but doesn't have full-blown celiac's) with my ignorance. Thanks!

Ok, here's a quote I found:

Gluten (from Latin gluten, "glue") is a protein composite found in foods processed from wheat and related grain species, including barley and rye. It gives elasticity to dough, helping it to rise and to keep its shape, and often giving the final product a chewy texture.

Gluten is the composite of a gliadin and a glutelin, which is conjoined with starch in the endosperm of various grass-related grains.

The seeds of most flowering plants have endosperms with stored protein to nourish embryonic plants during germination. True gluten, with gliadin and glutenin, is limited to certain members of the grass family. The stored proteins of maize and rice are sometimes called glutens, but their proteins differ from gluten.

A gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes foods containing gluten. Gluten is a protein found in wheat (including kamut and spelt), barley, rye, malts and triticale. It is used as a food additive in the form of a flavoring, stabilizing or thickening agent, often as "dextrin". A gluten-free diet is the only medically accepted treatment for celiac disease, the related condition dermatitis herpetiformis, and wheat allergy.

Additionally, a gluten-free diet may exclude oats. Medical practitioners are divided on whether oats are an allergen to celiac disease sufferers or if they are cross-contaminated in milling facilities by other allergens.

My friend has a "wheat allergy", but is not completely gluten-intolerant. She has not had any issues with oats, corn or rice.

The FDA does require most allergens to be listed on packaging:
On January 1, 2006, the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA) became effective. This law requires manufacturers to clearly identify on their food labels if a food product has any ingredients that contain protein derived from any of the eight major allergenic foods and food groups: milk, eggs, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, or soybeans. These eight foods and food groups account for 90 percent of all food allergies. Other allergenic foods (e.g., sesame) are not required to be
declared in accordance with FALCPA.

In addition, some "prepared foods" (those made, wrapped and sold at convenience stores or deli counters, for instance) are exempt from this labeling, so watch out for those!

You have gotten a lot of great info so far. DH was diagnosed with another gastro disease and we have started using the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) to treat it along with meds. WHAT A LIFE CHANGER!

I would suggest reading the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle to learn more about nutrition and belly problems. Check out comfybelly.com which is a site that has some great recipes. The author's son was diagnosed and had to start with a GF diet, but then that expanded to the SCD diet.

We make a lot of DH's food at home, but it has been an amazing transformation. Just by making food that is 100% homemade, with no short-cuts, has been so much better for us...and we have both turned into pretty amazing cooks! :cool1:

Good luck on your journey. It can be overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it. We have been doing this for 2.5 years and know what to look for now.

There is a Gluten free consultant In Idaho who can help you with your son's new diet. Call her at 208-283-3718

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter